Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

On 5/6/2021 at 4:14 AM, Crater Creator said:

You mean like, 'on this lot for house_burnt_05, choose a random garage to go in this spot' and 'within this instance of cabin_09, fill this 4x3x4 volume with any pre-made bathroom interior with the right dimensions?'  Because if that's what you mean, you've really pumped up my excitement for A20. :love:

On 5/6/2021 at 7:18 AM, meganoth said:

You dropped quite a bomb there.

It would allow T5s where you don't know where the loot room is, or where a safe passage from an earlier playthrough or quest is suddenly a trap-filled hell-hole.  And like a labyrinth with movable walls you might find yourself going totally different paths through a poi

Lots of work for the poi designers, but this is possibly a monumental change for us long-time players

On 5/6/2021 at 9:40 AM, meilodasreh said:

@faatalfor smaller POIs it might also be doable e.g. layout the whole floors that they can be mirrored left-right or front-back, so that it seems to be the same house, but the inner layout is different by RNG.

Idea came to me once I had solved a few sudokus, and then I realized it was always the same one, but mirrored and turned in all possible ways.

So I solved the same thing several times without even noticing.

If that could be adapted to the houses, it could be a way to add more variety without too much effort.

It will allow smaller POIs (called parts) to be placed inside larger POIs. It is not being using inside buildings right now. From what I have seen, first use is adding food carts, signs and other decorations into POIs. It still has bugs, so designers have not even used it much. They are busy making cities work with the new tiles system, which has been a lot of work making POIs fit city tiles. A group of tiles is basically a POI.

Redesigning hundreds of POIs to be modular is not happening in a20.

6 minutes ago, faatal said:

It will allow smaller POIs (called parts) to be placed inside larger POIs. It is not being using inside buildings right now. From what I have seen, first use is adding food carts, signs and other decorations into POIs. It still has bugs, so designers have not even used it much. They are busy making cities work with the new tiles system, which has been a lot of work making POIs fit city tiles. A group of tiles is basically a POI.

Redesigning hundreds of POIs to be modular is not happening in a20.

Well so it will be not implemented in A20 yet or implemented in limtied extent?

7 minutes ago, faatal said:

The feature should be in a20. How much it will be used is unknown.

Thats cool , i remind myself something : there is a chance to implement similiar system to generate random looking zombies maybe in A 22 or A23? 

40 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Thats cool , i remind myself something : there is a chance to implement similiar system to generate random looking zombies maybe in A 22 or A23? 

Zombies may get some accessory variation past a20, but those features have nothing to do with each other.

4 minutes ago, faatal said:

Zombies may get some accessory variation past a20, but those features have nothing to do with each other.

Well i don't know if you interesting l4d2 but it was idea to create diffrent ways to go into safehouse but they cancelled it so it in some ways connetected in my brain. And last question ( sorry) there is a chance to add zombies simlar to Newts from Days  gone?

3 hours ago, faatal said:

Pfff. If I have to lose equipment slots, so should they! 😠

-Morloc

Would love to see more variation in zombies, even if it was like t-shirt coloration or clothing change. You know, for instance like the party girl zombie, make her have a red dress, black dress, green dress ect. maybe the one in the red dress is like super evil lol. Would love to see some better loot progression

Got a question about the new block shape menu in a20. Right now you can copy shapes and rotation of the same block type. But that isn't possible when it's a different block type. Would that be changed in a20 too?

12 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

wym by that? like clothing? or armor?

SOME OF THEM HAD MINING HELMET - ZOMBIE ACCESORY CONFIRMED 

but srly i he thinking about something like minecraft zombies and skeletons - zombie can respawn with armor so they have better protection 

Dear developers, perhaps @faatal or @madmole, will there be blocks with particles in the game? Or just additional visual effects, for example, sparks from faulty electric lamps, steam from an air duct, smoke, drops from a pipe in some basement? In addition, to enhance the atmosphere of the post-apocalypse, I think it would be interesting to see some blocks with animation - wobbling lamps, curtains that move in the wind, slowly rotating fans, and so on. The animation on the trees looks great, I would like to see something similar in the houses. Are there any plans?

8 hours ago, Gazz said:

Yes. Torches are an example of blocks with particles.

I understand that torches, burning barrels, body bags with flies, forges, etc. are blocks with particles 🙂 I mean, will there be more of them? And will it be possible to put, for example, flies separately from bags?

13 hours ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

Dear developers, perhaps @faatal or @madmole, will there be blocks with particles in the game? Or just additional visual effects, for example, sparks from faulty electric lamps, steam from an air duct, smoke, drops from a pipe in some basement? In addition, to enhance the atmosphere of the post-apocalypse, I think it would be interesting to see some blocks with animation - wobbling lamps, curtains that move in the wind, slowly rotating fans, and so on. The animation on the trees looks great, I would like to see something similar in the houses. Are there any plans?

In the creativemenu there are two blocks that release smoke. One in white and one in black. A friend and I built a room with forges and connected them with large pipes that goes through the roof. There we stacked two stone blocks and on top of that this smoke block. and damn does it look like a perfect chimney and I love this detail. This made our base 100x better. Sadly it doesn't have a hitbox and is still a bit buggy sometimes. The wall of our base randomly starts to smoke when the animation begins but that stops after a few seconds so no problem^^

I hope this blocks is craftable in a20 or somehow can be bought from traders. That would be awesome^^

In the last 3 patches the corefeature was canceled. The content was announced but close to release of the patch comes a message it wont be in it.

The giant zombieboss, the bandits, the flying drone.

Additional awaited NPC system and pets/follower, survivor rescues, build a NPC village...

Can you give a sneak preview to any of this contents? Will any of this things be in A20?

The last patches are pretty good but the gigantic cherry on the cake was stolen! What happend to it?

2 hours ago, playlessNamer said:

In the last 3 patches the corefeature was canceled. The content was announced but close to release of the patch comes a message it wont be in it.

The giant zombieboss, the bandits, the flying drone.

Additional awaited NPC system and pets/follower, survivor rescues, build a NPC village...

Can you give a sneak preview to any of this contents? Will any of this things be in A20?

The last patches are pretty good but the gigantic cherry on the cake was stolen! What happend to it?

Giant Zombieboss: Cut from the game. Won't be included ever in this game.

The Bandits: Will not be in A20 but the player animations as well as the new models for the NPCs in A20 are all more steps towards bandits.

Flying Drone: Ready to go for A20. Won't be postponed again.

NPC system: If you're talking about reputation or the random encounter system then there is no word on when or if those systems are coming to this game at this point.

Pets/Followers: Replaced by the drone. The drone is the evolution of the pet/follower idea. There will not be other pets or followers in the vanilla game other than your faithful drone.

Survivor Rescues: No word on when or if such a feature will make it into this game. The stretch goals mention NPC characters (which could be fulfilled by bandits) and merchants.

Build NPC village: Most likely not happening for this game. This feature was mentioned as a dream feature by Madmole but is not listed in any of the original goals. What is listed is an NPC controlled safehouse.

There are lots of things the developers would love to do beyond the scope of their original goals that will become part of their next game. Their focus is on getting this game finished so they can achieve some of these dream features that couldn't quite make it for this game into the next one. 

On 5/11/2021 at 6:53 PM, Roland said:

Giant Zombieboss: Cut from the game. Won't be included ever in this game.

The Bandits: Will not be in A20 but the player animations as well as the new models for the NPCs in A20 are all more steps towards bandits.

Flying Drone: Ready to go for A20. Won't be postponed again.

Sounds sad, instead of powerful enemies and raiders, we will get a flying smart homemade drone in the non future zombie post-apocalypse. All those robotic things looked weird. 

What's next? Space satellites with death rays and teleportation devices?😁

17 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

instead of powerful enemies and raiders, we will get a flying smart homemade drone in the non future zombie post-apocalypse.

You do realize that A20 is not the end right? 😀 It is simply the next step forward and this particular step will not have raiders. But that doesn't mean TFP have replaced raiders as an enemy with drones as a follower in their overall plan. You just have to learn to enjoy each new step as it comes and then you won't be prone to so much sadness. Also the game is set in the 2030's in an alternate reality so drones fit just fine.

Finally, the trailer you reference shows Days 1-7. If that is the way you want the game to play then simply start over as soon as Day 8 rolls around and you will always play in the environment and tech level that you feel the game should represent by that trailer.

Archived