Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

H E R E IS SOME NEW PROPS!

some of this stuff is pretty SAFE, maybe If we SOIL TFP we can get some NEWS about what they are COOKING up!

huh?
ImageImageImageImage

Just now, Adam the Waster said:

H E R E IS SOME NEW PROPS!

some of this stuff is pretty SAFE, maybe If we SOIL TFP we can get some NEWS about what they are COOKING up!

huh?
ImageImageImageImage

im funny!

I've been hoping since I bought this game circa 2015 that TFP would one day just go all-in on making a really great RWG tool. There've been good incremental improvements, but I'm crossing my fingers that this is the biggest leap yet. Looking forward to the new POIs too, the level designs have really come a long way from the early days!

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal do you know what does the entry :

• ""Ignore Loot Abundance setting for Loot Containers. ""

in a19.5 EXP means? If so, can you explain ? Sounds completely nonsensical on the surface, lol.

Don’t quote me on this, but I believe it means any crates that twitch viewers spawn in are not affected by loot abundance.

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal do you know what does the entry :

• ""Ignore Loot Abundance setting for Loot Containers. ""

in a19.5 EXP means? If so, can you explain ? Sounds completely nonsensical on the surface, lol.

Seems like it’s so you can increase loot amounts for everything except POIs

Edit: @BFT2020 is probably right

Edited by ShellHead (see edit history)

@BFT2020 is correct, "the twitch spawned loot crates" were being affected by game config in this regard and therefore making the dropping crates on the players was a waste especially empty ones... now (those crates only) will ignore loot settings in the configs for regular game.

:)
QA Tester-unholyjoe

I must get this out, because otherwise I'm gonna cry. @madmole I love almost all the upcoming changes for alpha 20, except 1 thing, which I'm really really sad about.

Why oversimplify the build path? I remember my very first playthrough of this game in alpha 16. I made a wooden base and I was so excited when I found out I could upgrade the wooden blocks, which I could upgrade again, and again. And it shook me and made me super curious to what I could upgrade it to after. It also does make sense in an apocalyptic world that you can reinforce your building with some iron (for example on the wooden block).

I can understand why the blocks going poof when destroyed is better, that's okay, but I'm very sorry: this oversimplification of the upgrade path literally ruins my excitement for alpha 20.

And I think I speak for a big part of the community...

I love this game, but this must be the worst way of simplifying... the complexity is what it made interesting, especially for new players that had to discover all the amazing gameplay features.. :(

By the way, I already wrote about Challenge Quests, but no one noticed this in the abyss of controversy about melee weapons. Are there plans to do something with them? They are now in an absolutely miserable state. They are worth neither time nor attention. Go to a random point and kill several zombies, get 400 ducks for this 😂 Is it possible to make some kind of bonus for completing all types of challenges?

On 4/15/2021 at 6:15 AM, bachgaman said:

11. Challenge Quests - you spent time developing note assignments, but I don't understand what they are for? For completing them, you get about the same experience as for killing one zombie, 350 dukes are not worth this time absolutely. Perhaps it is worth at least making the reward dependent on the gamestage, this would be enough for the motivation to chase rabbits with a nail gun.

Perhaps it is worth using the mechanics of the quest chain and then the reward will depend not on the stage of the game, but on the number of completed challenges, thus some players can diversify the routine cleaning of factories and hospitals

And a similar question regarding Treasure Maps. Maybe Treasure Hunter should be given a chance to find a treasure map in the loot. Maybe add tiers for treasure, etc...

2 hours ago, faatal said:

Today's work. New tech that should stop loot containers from floating by attaching them to what is below. We had that happening in the new sewers, so needed a fix.

LootGndAlign.png.610f6ae86317902c7ffcbad855b4d272.png

Sewers.... for real? Like underground Pois placed below the road modules? Are we still talking about 7dtd? 

5 hours ago, faatal said:

Today's work. New tech that should stop loot containers from floating by attaching them to what is below. We had that happening in the new sewers, so needed a fix.

Weird spoongun confirmed for A20...and design approved

spoongun.jpg

12 hours ago, faatal said:

What gun is that? and also 

WE ARE GETTING SEWERS!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Maybe if there are sewers people wont miss caves from previous alphas as much anymore....😁

Im going to become a Sewer Person!

ALSO WHAT GUN IS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, faatal said:

@faatal who made this bus stop? because i want to this person that he/she done a good job

@devs

Do you have any plans on a zombie randomizer? There was a mod some time ago for this.

You allready mentioned a clothsystem to give them random clothing and attachments but allready in this state of the game you couldt randomize walk- and attackanimations and probaly put some tinted or slightly modified version of every zed to the randompool.

Have you ever seen the fat police zombie with the spiderzombie runanimation? It looks awesome, like a fat gorilla running torwards you! Had this some alphas ago on my server selfmade. Normal walk animation but when triggered he runs like a gorilla.

Do you have something like that on the plan?

36 minutes ago, playlessNamer said:

@devs

Do you have any plans on a zombie randomizer? There was a mod some time ago for this.

You allready mentioned a clothsystem to give them random clothing and attachments but allready in this state of the game you couldt randomize walk- and attackanimations and probaly put some tinted or slightly modified version of every zed to the randompool.

Have you ever seen the fat police zombie with the spiderzombie runanimation? It looks awesome, like a fat gorilla running torwards you! Had this some alphas ago on my server selfmade. Normal walk animation but when triggered he runs like a gorilla.

This can't work on this engine so unfortunatly can't work good. I asked about it few times ago. So maybe on their next game

Hey @faatal, since it looks like you're around, I was wondering if it's possible to elaborate on the ability to place "mini POI" prefabs inside of larger POIs. (Sorry I don't know the terminology.)

Are these prefabs treated as separate "POIs?" As an example, imagine a very large shopping mall POI. The individual shops inside them could be randomized, and designers could specify that one of them be a trader. The trader could offer quests to individual shops inside the shopping mall.

My guess is that they can't, and that they'll work more like the existing block placeholders - you can define a list of prefabs to choose from, but that's it. (I'm guessing that because block placeholders are already implemented, and that the new system is expanding upon that.)

Still, that's just a guess, so I'd like to make sure.

I recognize that this is all a WIP, and nobody has even guaranteed that this will be ready for A20. So I will assume any information is preliminary. But I'm still curious. :) 

EDIT: I'm also not demanding anything one way or the other. Either way it's a great idea and will add a lot to the game.

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

1 minute ago, khzmusik said:

Hey @faatal, since it looks like you're around, I was wondering if it's possible to elaborate on the ability to place "mini POI" prefabs inside of larger POIs. (Sorry I don't know the terminology.)

Are these prefabs treated as separate "POIs?" As an example, imagine a very large shopping mall POI. The individual shops inside them could be randomized, and designers could specify that one of them be a trader. The trader could offer quests to individual shops inside the shopping mall.

My guess is that they can't, and that they'll work more like the existing block placeholders - you can define a list of prefabs to choose from, but that's it. (I'm guessing that because block placeholders are already implemented, and that the new system is expanding upon that.)

I recognize that this is all a WIP, and nobody has even guaranteed that this will be ready for A20. So I will assume any information is preliminary. But I'm still curious. :) 

can work more military base on airport because it will be easier to put on ground that on inside of building

26 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

I recognize that this is all a WIP, and nobody has even guaranteed that this will be ready for A20. So I will assume any information is preliminary. But I'm still curious.

I don't know. It probably just picks one from choices or none and replaces the blocks in the area.

4 hours ago, playlessNamer said:

@devs

Not likely. Clothing would not change like you think. That is all one mesh and full textures. What might change is accessories being hidden, like a hat. provided the artists split them into separate objects.