Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

On 4/13/2021 at 1:36 AM, madmole said:

Working on another game, but I come back to 7 days as needed. Testing out feral sense in between things. I helped a little on getting the drone wrapped up and ready to test recently.

Funny man.

I'm really looking forward to finding out more news about the Fun Pimps' next title :D

Do you plan to add more end game related stuff to the game before or after its release? I think about for example more complex quests or even quest chains, stronger and /or boss like zombies, more high tier POIs or any features etc. Currently the tier 5 quests having only 3-4 types of buildings (at least in RWG maps) that the trader gives quest POI locations. And its become repetitive very fast :)

Edited by kexes (see edit history)

The new trader Hugh is just awesome.  Good sculpture, good textures, good detail and colour.  Heck you can even tell that he fought off a bear just by looking at his face. 

Great job from Joel Byington. This version fits like a glove in the game's theme and the artist really did an impresive job with the little details.

No cons this time. It's top quality, just like his pal Trader Joel.

23 hours ago, n2n1 said:

Why is Kinyajuu silent ?

Because he is busy working.

14 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

there is that whole area in the wasteland that is a lay out for a city, I don't even care if you guys reuses POIs in nav! more to nav would be great!

some more cool areas would be neet too!

like a Farm in the Snow that is super dead, a airfield in the desert. etc

Nav will have changes to fit new features and the plot of the game, but that is not a20.

6 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Me too, even a hint plus if it is single player or multiplayer would be wonderful 

It may be both.

6 hours ago, kexes said:

Do you plan to add more end game related stuff to the game before or after its release? I think about for example more complex quests or even quest chains, stronger and /or boss like zombies, more high tier POIs or any features etc. Currently the tier 5 quests having only 3-4 types of buildings (at least in RWG maps) that the trader gives quest POI locations. And its become repetitive very fast :)

Yes.

They are cranking out new and refining existing POIs. Saw some cool new ones today. How about small POIs randomly inside bigger POIs? That seems to be working now.

13 minutes ago, faatal said:

Because he is busy working.

Nav will have changes to fit new features and the plot of the game, but that is not a20.

It may be both.

Yes.

They are cranking out new and refining existing POIs. Saw some cool new ones today. How about small POIs randomly inside bigger POIs? That seems to be working now.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but the Amigone Funeral Homes are a real thing. Since there is a POI with an identical name in 7D2D, will this name be changed?

I'm thrilled to get more world details, like those newspaper vending machines, that can make urban areas feel more structured: like more than a grid of always-the-same POIs.  On the other hand, it's the kind of thing I expect to only enhance the art, not the gameplay.  I expect they'll function the same as mailboxes: loot them for some paper, harvest them for some metal, and that's probably it.

Trader Hugh generally looks good.  The work around his eyes is well done.  But that low, sharp cheek line on the beard, with hairs sticking out nearly perpendicular to the surface, doesn't look convincing to me... especially in an apocalypse where he's probably shaving with half a rusty machete.  It wouldn't matter on a zombie, but his face will be highly scrutinized in game as a trader.

5 hours ago, faatal said:

How about small POIs randomly inside bigger POIs? That seems to be working now.

You mean like, 'on this lot for house_burnt_05, choose a random garage to go in this spot' and 'within this instance of cabin_09, fill this 4x3x4 volume with any pre-made bathroom interior with the right dimensions?'  Because if that's what you mean, you've really pumped up my excitement for A20. :love:

9 hours ago, faatal said:

... How about small POIs randomly inside bigger POIs? That seems to be working now.

You dropped quite a bomb there.

It would allow T5s where you don't know where the loot room is, or where a safe passage from an earlier playthrough or quest is suddenly a trap-filled hell-hole.  And like a labyrinth with movable walls you might find yourself going totally different paths through a poi

Lots of work for the poi designers, but this is possibly a monumental change for us long-time players

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

You dropped quite a bomb there.

It would allow T5s where you don't know where the loot room is, or where a safe passage from an earlier playthrough or quest is suddenly a trap-filled hell-hole.  And like a labyrinth with movable walls you might find yourself going totally different paths through a poi

Lots of work for the poi designers, but this is possibly a monumental change for us long-time players

@faatalfor smaller POIs it might also be doable e.g. layout the whole floors that they can be mirrored left-right or front-back, so that it seems to be the same house, but the inner layout is different by RNG.

Idea came to me once I had solved a few sudokus, and then I realized it was always the same one, but mirrored and turned in all possible ways.

So I solved the same thing several times without even noticing.

If that could be adapted to the houses, it could be a way to add more variety without too much effort.

20 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Oh I love him also. 

I hope you mean in general, not ... right now ...

would explain why he's not been heard of lately though 😱

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

On 4/14/2021 at 7:01 AM, Morloc said:

So it's like the old zombie smell system? The game was terrifying back then (at night). I'd build my workshop/fort and always surround it with a perimeter wall so nothing wandering by would be within the agro radius. Sound travelled a bit further as I recall...so opening a chest or forge would sometimes get you in trouble. You couldn't walk around willy-nilly at night and expect to easily run and hide.

-Morloc

Very similar but it's not smell, its noise and sight.

On 4/22/2021 at 9:10 AM, elektrohund said:

Do you have any plans on fixing the SMG and marskman rifle animations so that the bolt and magazines move with the hands during reload? Currently the models are static and seem like work in progress. 

Those models have been redone and replaced.

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

Those models have been redone and replaced.

Very similar but it's not smell, its noise and sight.

i hope those iron sights on the marksman rifle are better.

i like to uses iron sights like a Chad! but dear god! the sights on that thing are REALLY bad

still kinda strange the Alarm can't lure zombies! i tried that the FIRST day i got on PC and it didn't work... i still cry about it!

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

16 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but the Amigone Funeral Homes are a real thing. Since there is a POI with an identical name in 7D2D, will this name be changed?

We'll have to contact them and force them to change the name since they probably don't have a copyright ") But seriously no, who cares. Purely coincidental.

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

i like to uses iron sights like a Chad! but dear god! the sights on that thing are REALLY bad

still kinda strange the Alarm can't lure zombies! i tried that the FIRST day i got on PC and it didn't work... i still cry about it!

It's inspired from an old winchester lever action.

1 minute ago, madmole said:

We'll have to contact them and force them to change the name since they probably don't have a copyright ") But seriously no, who cares. Purely coincidental.

It's inspired from an old winchester lever action.

So is it that makeshift lever action we saw?

or is it more of a Modern version? 

10 of the Best Lever Action Rifles Manufactured Today

Just now, Crater Creator said:

It would be like horde night is now, except without the extra zombie spawning.  That’s all the feral sense is: the ‘always GPS to you’ part of horde night.

*Throws papers in the air* There goes my plans for an Agility build then. 😜 Then again, I could always just save that playthrough for stable and select a different one with Feral Sense enabled for the Experimental branches. Plenty of time still.

4 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

I think with any rifle you want to get a scope asap but I think they are ok, I just found one so I'll try it out in my game.

41 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

im not going into the gun ban thing cuz that will causes a Forum war but!

not all, it depends on the gun maker. Like some Modern Level actions have Polly stocks, metal rails, all metal etc. but some make there look like old ones but with better items.

i was hoping the Marksman rifle would look like a AR15 sense they are simi auto and they fit well for a Marksman rifle. Maybe it would have a wooden stock, long barrel port, AR Iron sights, and some tape wrapped around it. but a Lever action is cool too!

i wonder what primitive Sniper is? i don't think its that level action because then the OG hunting rifle would have no role. 
the Pipe rifle should basically be a long tube with a stock, Bolt, Iron sights and a Front grip, it would have ONE shot like the old hunting rifle. 

while the Hunting rifle would have 3 rounds and would have a clip on the bottom. the scope would be placed near the bolt like a real rifle sense you don't need to load it via the Bolt. it would be a Classic deer rifle. 

and what about the pipe AR?

There is a pipe rifle, lever action and the sniper rifle you all have for an alpha or two.

7 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

*Throws papers in the air* There goes my plans for an Agility build then. 😜 Then again, I could always just save that playthrough for stable and select a different one with Feral Sense enabled for the Experimental branches. Plenty of time still.

No it's not GPS, but their hearing and sight are much better so you have to be more careful. If you don't have enough stamina or decent guns and you have jog or run on you are dead. Like I was clubbing away at them but ran out of stamina with too many on me and I got rekt a few times early game.

9 minutes ago, madmole said:

No it's not GPS, but their hearing and sight are much better so you have to be more careful. If you don't have enough stamina or decent guns and you have jog or run on you are dead. Like I was clubbing away at them but ran out of stamina with too many on me and I got rekt a few times early game.

Ahh, good, good. One final question for today, is Feral Sense only applicable to zombies or are animals counted as well?

16 minutes ago, madmole said:

I think with any rifle you want to get a scope asap but I think they are ok, I just found one so I'll try it out in my game.

I do that sense my IRL perception is crap. then when the scope blocks out everything around me them zombies Love to sneak up on me. 

like the hunting rifle, im a dead eye with that without any perks or scopes. (Plus that's a extra sight slot)

Take the Sniper rifle. that gun you don't really need a scope or even a reflex. i can drop a zombie a good mile away. but the marksman rifle its too Wide, its not tight like the Sniper or hunting rifle.  but really sense its going to be changed into a Whole different gun, at least i don't need to worry about that. :D

5 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Ahh, good, good. One final question for today, is Feral Sense only applicable to zombies or are animals counted as well?

i kinda miss the old smell thing but at the same time i never even bothered hunting for food sense i would get hordes on me 

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

57 minutes ago, madmole said:

There is a pipe rifle, lever action and the sniper rifle you all have for an alpha or two.

and the hunting rifle?

or is that getting the boot?