all this running at the start may cause new players to rage quit

ElCabong

This is not a rant. I don't mind running over a kilometer from the traitor to my quest objective because I am always excited to find out what I need to do when I get there. However first time players may feel they are spending too damn much time running.

Most tier 1 quests should be within the town the trailer is in, at most a half a kilometer away. When you start getting into the tier 2 quests those could be like these long 1.2 and 1.6 km T1 quests I'm getting now but perhaps not all. The tier 1 dig quests are with a half a kilometer. The rest should be as well.I occasionally find tier 1 quests within a half a kilometer but that's very rare. It seems like I get one or two of those and that's it.

37 minutes ago, kidmo31 said:

Its not hard to get a bicycle early on. 

Yes and no. It's not hard if you find a working workbench, that might take a while. You also need to get a wrench to get the materials you need and sometimes getting both of these might take quite a while.

I am talking about people new to the game where all this running is boring.

The importnant quests, buried supplies, are always near. The others are nice if you do them, but not needed at all cost. With the traders in the cities now, you just do buried supplies and loot POI´s without quest until you have a vehicle. Works fine for me that way.

2 hours ago, ElCabong said:

Yes and no. It's not hard if you find a working workbench, that might take a while. You also need to get a wrench to get the materials you need and sometimes getting both of these might take quite a while.

finding wrenches is easy once you know where to look (sinks)

i think the harder part is finding a hammer to make a workbench. it's veerrryy rare that i'll find a workbench that isn't destroyed so i don't even bother looking. but i do have to drop a point into miner69er to get a hammer because only stone axes drop early. then i have to drop two points into advanced engineering in order to get the recipe for a workbench. and i only can get a bike early because i know to do these things, new players won't know.

that said, if you're running that far to do quests before you get a vehicle, that's on you. just take close quests or wait til you have a vehicle.

I think your concern was a big issue in A17 but I think its just fine in A19 for the following reasons.

1) Most new players will probably only be able to do 1 to 2 quests max a day and then the list of quests resets the next day (there is also a known issue with the list resetting upon logging out and back into the game).

2) There are perks that help with stamina/food management.

3) There are items that help with stamina and food management (e.g. steroids, teas, candies, food)

4) Bicycle acquisition within the 1st week is easily attainable.  4 to 5k dukes from trader or you can perk to build one.

I think being bored running a km is more Of an issue for older players than it is for newer players. New players are more likely to be excited for the exploration and what they might find and mark on their map on the way to their quest. Newer players probably are fine with not completing the quest and getting the reward all in one day so they can immediately start another one to also hopefully complete before nightfall. 

Of course, it’s hard to remember what it was like as a new player since I’ve been an old player for so long. In fact, I think old players like us should just speak for ourselves and not worry so much about hypothetical reactions by hypothetical new players.

We were once new players and never rage quit over running and when I was a new player there was never any other option but to run everywhere. In Alpha 10 I once ran 20km from the origin just to be sure I was alone. My hands and weapons shook all over the place but I didn’t even rage quit from that...lol. 

I think you should give new players a bit more credit and just say that YOU are burnt out on running 1km... 😀

With the tweak to trader spawning locations in this alpha things seem improved to me. Personally I always find buried supply quests under 500m and at least one clear/retriever under 1k. But in previous alphas it was a bit crazy in my opinion. You'd get trader POIs spawning in the middle of nowhere then they'd give you quests for a town another 1k in the opposite direction from which you came. So most people would build near traders which by default meant a long run to get to civilization. Traders being on the edge of cities like they are now is so much better.

Maybe you've been unlucky?

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I think you should give new players a bit more credit and just say that YOU are burnt out on running 1km... 😀

I've been playing a long time with over 5000+ hours and I still don't think a 1km run is a big deal.  :p

Admittedly, in the real world I might find it difficult to run that far.  I could walk 20km in a day with no problems but running even one would probably kill me.

12 hours ago, ElCabong said:

This is not a rant. I don't mind running over a kilometer from the traitor to my quest objective because I am always excited to find out what I need to do when I get there. However first time players may feel they are spending too damn much time running.

Most tier 1 quests should be within the town the trailer is in, at most a half a kilometer away. When you start getting into the tier 2 quests those could be like these long 1.2 and 1.6 km T1 quests I'm getting now but perhaps not all. The tier 1 dig quests are with a half a kilometer. The rest should be as well.I occasionally find tier 1 quests within a half a kilometer but that's very rare. It seems like I get one or two of those and that's it.

Honey, people kept playing long before vehicles were even in the game. Running for a while isn't going to make them quit, it hasn't before. I'm betting lots of us here remember the minibike being added. Actually, most of my games we never even used it because it was buggy as hell.

4 hours ago, Feycat said:

Honey, people kept playing long before vehicles were even in the game. Running for a while isn't going to make them quit, it hasn't before. I'm betting lots of us here remember the minibike being added. Actually, most of my games we never even used it because it was buggy as hell.

You mean riding along, the game crashes, you come back, and the bike is a kilometer behind you?

:D

(hitting scrub,  gods I hated that scrub)

4 minutes ago, canadianbluebeer said:

You mean riding along, the game crashes, you come back, and the bike is a kilometer behind you?

:D

(hitting scrub,  gods I hated that scrub)

Heh, or a kilometer above you

14 hours ago, ElCabong said:

You do not need a workbench at all to make a bike. All parts and the bike itself can be made in the inventory.

4 hours ago, Feycat said:

lol yeah, I rarely used it, because more than half the time it'd poof thru the world in a single player game with all my loot in it, sure I can cheat one back, but 3 rows of loot to cheat back and not remembering exactly what I had was the problem.

Funny thing is, I play 0 intel games, only int perk I get is adv engineering 1, so I can start forge up on day 1, if grease monkey only needed the base int though I'd be very tempted to get that right away. Skill points are precious early game, I got more important things to get. Now if I can find a pair of those int+1 glasses, you can then equip those, learn grease monkey 1, make a bike, then take them off, so it only costs a skill point. Anyway I often don't have a vehicle of any kind till day 6 or later. Intel to me is a wasted stat, it doesn't really have anything of value you cannot easly get elsewhere, and early game I get str to 5, miner 69'er to 4, sex t-rex to 3, and then clubs or sledge up, then I get agility to 5, and the sneak improving skill to 3 asap. Those are my first few day priorities. Lower stam use=lower food use. even with sex t-rex 3 though you will run out of stamina using a iron tool, it just takes a bit longer.

4 minutes ago, Scyris said:

You do not need a workbench at all to make a bike. All parts and the bike itself can be made in the inventory.

Not anymore. I know it was this way in A17 but it was changed in A18. Now you need the workbench.

EDIT: I checked the files to be sure. You need the workbench for the handlebars and the chassis. The bicycle itself can be crafted in the inventory once you have the parts.

3 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

Not anymore. I know it was this way in A17 but it was changed in A18. Now you need the workbench.

Wow really? its been a while since I made a bike, due to my playstyle of not getting intel I usually buy my vehicles. Well, glad I never bothered getting intel to 2 and learning grease monkey in my games in a18/19, as it'd have then been a complete waste of points early game if I cannot find a workbench. I don't play a19 much, I play dead is dead, and the linear as hell loot has completly ruined the game for me. I often don't open many loot containers because till after day 7 or so its just going to have stone garbage. They need to go back to a18's loot system and just add the new items in and leave it the hell alone, stop messing with stuff that is not broken because when they do, they usually screw it up, like loot in a19. There was no need for it to change, and the change has generally been hated by almost all players, because it makes the game way to linear and boring. Plus getting qual 6 stuff out of every damn container removes any real reason to loot or craft, becayse once you have one.. In a18 quality 1-3 stuff was comming, but 4-6 were rare to extremly rare, so it was always worth it to loot everything, especially with how random loot in a18 was, could get lucky and get a steel tool on day 1, I mean it'll be qual 1 for sure due to low GS, but still worth using. I can't even bring myself to play a19 much, its just that boring with the loot system as it is.

The game is supposed to be a zombie apoc sandbox, not a linear rpg, the devs seem to have forgotten that.

I see the original posters point. Running in the beginning can feel so routine, especially when stamina sucks bad at 1st.

However I agree with Roland, that's mostly just us older players. 

Man I remember my 1st time playing this game, learning everything and experiencing everything for the 1st time. I was TERRIFIED my 1st bloodmoon. I hid on top of a roof scared sh*tless, listening to the destruction & mayhem below me.

Ah the good ol days. Something we'll never get back but always remember.

Yes, I do agree that tier 1 quests should be better located within a better range of the trader. Some are, but some send you to another town for no reason, which can be a bit of a run.

However I doubt new players mind as such. If it's the first time they've done it, it'll seem natural. And they'll enjoy the scenery, exploration, or perhaps not even do them for a while as they dunno there are trader quests :)

Hang on here.

Why don't they just, you know, not run?

Technically speaking, couldn't they start their looting, crafting, base building, whatever fairly close to their start point and later go find the trader? Quests are kind of optional to surviving, in my experience.

Archived