Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 hour ago, FileMachete said:

Get rid of HP ammo, and instead put in Sub-sonic rifle rounds.

(I know gameplay wise they couldn't de-power appropriately, but they could mimic the rw combo of a suppressor plus sub-sonic being much quieter than full power ammo plus a suppressor.)(and for bonus points they could mimic that suppressed full-power shots are much harder to pinpoint the source, so zeds could wake up and not beeline to the shooter.)(and I know I'm barking at an empty train station :) )

That's for a simulation, not a game. (JA2, 1.13 had cold loaded ammo 😃

This one is made for gamers. People who for the most part have no idea what subsonic ammo is. As a result there is a magic suppressor that implies it. =P

4 hours ago, Biscoitoso said:

Hospital, T5 - Fetch and Clear
Apartament Brick, T5 - Clear

Serious, what the heck with the Nailguns?

010 - FC T5.png

011 - FC T5.png

Yes yes ... We already saw you. Now stop complaining or stop doing missions. OR JUST STOP PLAYING 7 DAYS. OMG how heavy you are with the rewards

On 7/26/2020 at 7:08 AM, faatal said:

I checked the randomness of loot containers a few weeks ago. Was working fine. 75% of 1 means you have a 75% chance to get 1 and a 25% chance to get 0. That also applies to any partial amount. 5 items on 50% loot means 2.5 items, so a 50% chance to get 2 or 3.

Unfortunately, random is not working very well in relation to the expected result. Even if the probability copes well with the percentage dependence - very often, two identical loot containers appear the same set of items.

This is especially noticeable when these containers are located nearby. I always get a sense of deja vu when i looting.

Perhaps the percentages are follow too well.

1 hour ago, TARCH26 said:

Disgusting patch! When turning and in motion, FPS drops to 0. Friezes, friezes, friezes, it became impossible to play.

Telling what your system and settings are, is better than the word disgusting. Is it ? 

6 hours ago, FileMachete said:

Also, not sure who asked how many Dragunov SVDs were in AZ, but fwiw I can't recall ever seeing one on a range or for sale when I've been in AZ (more than a few times) or anywhere else other than at a major show or two.

Don't know if the choice was artistic or mag size, but it's one of the few I can think of in that category that doesn't commonly have 20-round magazines.

If commonality was a main criteria I would guess the M14/M1A would be on top. The military de-milled a ton of them and sold them to civillians, and I can't think of the last time I didn't see one for sale in a store.

Exactly why I was saying they should have added it, and its my favorite. M14, then make the MK 14 EBR a legendary weapon. I'm Canadian, this isn't even a patriotic thing its just a good sexy rifle. To late now though.

Edit: My Airsoft M14 looks exactly like this.

1200px-PEO_M14_EBR.jpg

15 hours ago, RhinoW said:

@madmole Some questions if some quality of life changes are being worked on:

- Option to change toggling/holding ADS? (I know they are both implemented, but the response for the holding ADS is super slow compared to any other shooter)

- Buyable/Craftable in-game lights for the players to use (some were removed since A16 for some reason, and i keep getting teased by the construction lights in PoIs)?

- New honk sounds for the motorcycle and truck?

- Actually shifting sounds for the vehicles instead of the boring loop one? (You have the gear shift sound when you start moving after being still, then it goes into a monotone loop)

- Make burst fire actual burst fire? Right now it's just better to spam tap shoot with burst fire weapons, i thought burst fire was supposed to be a really fast burst but with a lower fire rate per burst.

Toggle ADS will become an option, not default.

Lights are performance heavy, so either they were too expensive or we didn't want to clutter recipes with fluff craft. Players are crude craftsmen quickly slapping crap together out of found junk they aren't having sweet wall sconces.

Once we get the shape menu sorted we can consider more, like a light helper.

13 hours ago, pregnable said:

What are you guys planning on doing with charismatic nature?

It is probably really good for 1 person to take if you are running with a large group, but almost no one is going to use it heh.  I tried to talk someone into doing a 2 man where we both get it to be funny and they did not seem interested. 

If it worked on turrets or we had pets it would be kinda fun. 

I would be tempted to remove better barter and make the 5th rank of charismatic nature 15% or 20% trader prices. 

Obviously a lot of ways you could go with it.  Was curious if you had plans on changing it at all. 

No plans currently. I need to look at it again.

12 hours ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

@madmole an idea for trader quests, not having to do with rewards, is it possible to have it so the trader has a quest from each tier? like once you have tier 2 unlocked you get 2 and one, but once you unlock tier 5 could we have a quest from each tier?  I go to my trader and its 3 level 5 quests, a 4 then a 1, why not have it 1,2,3,4,5 for more variety?

We want to put in a paging system so you can get quests from the lower tiers. Or something like that. No promises.

8 hours ago, AlabasterW said:

Where on earth am I supposed to get mechanical parts without using a wrench? The traders have none, nothing seems to scrap down into them, haven't looted any in over a week... they're pretty important, and I need them!

You can check the traders for wrenches and parts, but wrenches are fairly easy to find, just keep looting cupboards and tool crates, tool boxes, etc. It sucks when one doesn't spawn but it will eventually.

7 hours ago, Gazz said:

The tac rifle is based on a SIG but it's an artist's impression, not an accurate representation like some games would use.

But like I said before: A lot of modern guns look so much alike you may as well choose to believe it's modeled after one of your favourites. =P

JA 2, v1.13, All The Guns setting.   About 150 different ammo types, pre-loadable in some 5 different magazine sizes each. All the sorting and stacking you could ever want!

JA2 is an amazing game.  Ivan Dolvich was my all time fav character.

8 hours ago, Khalagar said:

This is the only survival game I can think of where farming for mats takes so much stamina.  It's such a tedious activity most try to make it less painful and leave hard stamina consumption for combat weapons

If I can use tools for free (hello inconsistency) why bother with clubs and melee weapons? I'd just endlessly power attack everything with my wrench/axe.

7 Days is the only survival game with actual time management. In the other games the worst thing that happens if you do nothing is you might starve to death. Plus food use is tied to stamina regeneration. So the more you "do stuff" the more your food needs etc. In 7 days a horde is coming to kill you, so stamina use and time management are all part of that growth curve from dud to stud.

It is overcome with perks/food/drink so what is the problem? You can't have it now, instantly?

Sure it takes you out of the game while you wait, but if you are smart,  you craft/scrap things and reload your forges, etc while your stamina recharges. It gives incentive to cook the good foods, instead of all food being useless other than to fill the meter like other games.

6 hours ago, pregnable said:

I was testing out the compound bow and I was having issues hitting zombies in the head with it, even when they were really close.  The aim was right, but I just could not hit them.  I will test it more next time I play. 

I was not having that problem with the basic bow though, so IDK.

Works great for me.

Guys, stop with the gun nut talk, we aren't adding /changing any guns except primitive pipe weapons in the future.

13 minutes ago, madmole said:

Guys, stop with the gun nut talk, we aren't adding /changing any guns except primitive pipe weapons in the future.

Hi Madmole, when do you think an A20 dev diary will open up?  Maybe when the 1st stable drops?  Curious what ammo the new prim weapons will use.

17 minutes ago, madmole said:

If I can use tools for free (hello inconsistency) why bother with clubs and melee weapons? I'd just endlessly power attack everything with my wrench/axe.

7 Days is the only survival game with actual time management. In the other games the worst thing that happens if you do nothing is you might starve to death. Plus food use is tied to stamina regeneration. So the more you "do stuff" the more your food needs etc. In 7 days a horde is coming to kill you, so stamina use and time management are all part of that growth curve from dud to stud.

It is overcome with perks/food/drink so what is the problem? You can't have it now, instantly?

Sure it takes you out of the game while you wait, but if you are smart,  you craft/scrap things and reload your forges, etc while your stamina recharges. It gives incentive to cook the good foods, instead of all food being useless other than to fill the meter like other games.

Works great for me.

Will you be remaking models though? The marksman rifle, smg and even ak-47 look outdated as hell (and some of the sounds aswell).

19 minutes ago, RhinoW said:

Will you be remaking models though? The marksman rifle, smg and even ak-47 look outdated as hell (and some of the sounds aswell).

The AK looks fine to me.  Marksmen model looks okay but something happen to its color/texture, especially the stock.

Is there a chance we can have a no-trader/no starting quest option? I know i can choose not to use them, but a little bird , it's mate and offspring told me the "choose not to" are sometimes worth the time to code out. Can't do worse then asking anyway.

It would be welcome to those among us preferring 7d2d as more of a survival game. A little step on the way at least.

5 minutes ago, Kattla said:

Is there a chance we can have a no-trader/no starting quest option? I know i can choose not to use them, but a little bird , it's mate and offspring told me the "choose not to" are sometimes worth the time to code out. Can't do worse then asking anyway.

It would be welcome to those among us preferring 7d2d as more of a survival game. A little step on the way at least.

Just go into your quests tab and delete the starter quests. If you want the four initial free skillpoints, then quickly bang them out and then delete the "locate trader" in your quests tab before you see where it is.

If you want a complicated method to simulate you being a fresh spawn with 4 skill points, then quickly bang out your starter quests, delete the "locate trader" quest, throw away everything you've crafted and let it despawn, then go into DM menu and roll back the time, log out, log back in, and bingo. 7 AM, 4 skill points, no starter mission, no locate trader.

Once stable hits that's actually what I'm going to do. I'll spawn into my world, mark my spawn location, bang out the starter quests, delete the "locate White River settlement" quest, destroy my placed upgraded wood frame/campfire, throw away everything I owned, head back to my spawn location, bring my starter equipment back to my toolbelt exactly how it was, roll the time back to 7 AM, log out, log back in, and start a brand new world with 4 free skill points, no starter quests (technically), and no known trader location. :)

1 hour ago, RhinoW said:

Madmole looking at you like this!
Samuel L Jackson Endorses Rashida Tlaib's 'Motherf---er' Comments

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

The AK looks fine to me.  Marksmen model looks okay but something happen to its color/texture, especially the stock.

i can list a bunch of old guns that could be remade/remastered

AK

pump shotgun

SMG 

Marksman rifle

Hunting rifle 

Bow

Crossbow (wood)

Compound bow!

Machete!

Augur 

Chainsaw!

all armors!

and thats it i think!

im sorry madmole! Please don't end me!

@Kattla I've made a video explaining what I was referring to, located below. I'm sure others could put it to good use if they wanted to. :)

(Note: inconsistencies may include: a small sliver of XP at the end, and some lost hunger/thirst. You can counteract the former by starting out at 25% XP and logging out after you've finished these steps and resetting it back to normal. To counteract the latter, simply go into and then out of God Mode before finishing.)

1 hour ago, madmole said:

If I can use tools for free (hello inconsistency) why bother with clubs and melee weapons? 

Hi @madmole, I'm having a blast with a19 despite the performance problems. 

Now, let's talk about my hammer :drum:. The hammer is useless as a weapon and therefore has no degradation when doing one of the 2 building tasks it's supposed to : upgrading (repairs degrade, but it's just 1 task and makes the hammer a little meh, while stone axes and nailguns have 2 or more actions that degrade) . Why does it have tiers then?

I'm ok with stone axes, hammers and nailguns never degrading with repairs because :

Stone axe: It's used for many other tasks like mining, harvesting and tree humping. It even has decent dps and a fearsome aura when crippling chances improve.

Nail gun: It can be used as a weapon that uses dirt cheap nails, which is awesome.

Hammer? : It only degrades when repairing and it's no good as a weapon. It would be awesome to have a "hammer head" mod that improves just the hammer's entity damage to a moderate point to compete with Miss Steel doubleaxe to some degree (I mean due to tier differences it could be a bit weaker, idk). Sounds like a "book unlock" at least. 

Suggestions:

1-Deleting hammer tiers. (I'd somehow hate that)

2-New hammer-specific mod from a book or schematic that increases entity damage. I'm talking about stuff in the line of: stun baton's repulsor mod or something just-for-the-hammer like that.

What do you think? Can we get something like that? Hammers not degrading is a little boring. 

A fully modded level 6 hammer is still very weak in combat.

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

@Kattla I've made a video explaining what I was referring to, located below. I'm sure others could put it to good use if they wanted to. :)

(Note: inconsistencies may include: a small sliver of XP at the end, and some lost hunger/thirst. You can counteract the former by starting out at 25% XP and logging out after you've finished these steps and resetting it back to normal. To counteract the latter, simply go into and then out of God Mode before finishing.)

I appriciate it, thank you.

The reason i asked here in the dev thread however, was that with all the option they add to the game, like no-horde nights etc, if they had time to make a "no-trader" option too. I saw it suggested on the steam forums, and thought it was actually a good idea that many players could find useful. 

And no, i don't think they will implement it, but at least i asked. Quite possibly been asked for before too.

But i do like your answers too, since if i ever am going to play A19, i would at least eliminate the trader one way or another. Maybe even go as far as reducing POI's, but i rather get a feel for the current alpha before i do that.

4 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Hi @madmole, I'm having a blast with a19 despite the performance problems. 

Now, let's talk about my hammer :drum:. The hammer is useless as a weapon and therefore has no degradation when doing one of the 2 building tasks it's supposed to : upgrading (repairs degrade, but it's just 1 task and makes the hammer a little meh, while stone axes and nailguns have 2 or more actions that degrade) . Why does it have tiers then?

I'm ok with stone axes, hammers and nailguns never degrading with repairs because :

Stone axe: It's used for many other tasks like mining, harvesting and tree humping. It even has decent dps and a fearsome aura when crippling chances improve.

Nail gun: It can be used as a weapon that uses dirt cheap nails, which is awesome.

Hammer? : It only degrades when repairing and it's no good as a weapon. It would be awesome to have a "hammer head" mod that improves just the hammer's entity damage to a moderate point to compete with Miss Steel doubleaxe to some degree (I mean due to tier differences it could be a bit weaker, idk). Sounds like a "book unlock" at least. 

Suggestions:

1-Deleting hammer tiers. (I'd somehow hate that)

2-New hammer-specific mod from a book or schematic that increases entity damage. I'm talking about stuff in the line of: stun baton's repulsor mod or something just-for-the-hammer like that.

What do you think? Can we get something like that? Hammers not degrading is a little boring. 

A fully modded level 6 hammer is still very weak in combat.

A War Hammer! Relax not saying reskin just that its a thing.

War Hammer.jpg

9 minutes ago, captspock said:

Has anyone else have the issue of long time creating maps... before it would take the server about 30 min to create a 8192 map.. now over 4hrs.. kind of crazy...

I am assuming your talking on a dedicated server.

I had similar issues, like the RWG was hung up on a process but never timed out.

I ended up creating a RWG in the game client, and copying the world files to the server and used the same seed name / size and it ran up in just minutes.

Archived