Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

The autoshotgun had a pretty bad showing, but it might have been Lathan's aim playing a big part in him using like 200  bullets to kill 25 enemies. I'm confused on why it's called the Auto shotgun if it's still semi auto. I figured it'd be a typical AA-12

In A18 on the second hardest difficulty, my level 4 pump shotgun has way better damage than what he was dishing out with the Auto, maybe the lack of mods + terrible aim were the problem? Madmole has an uphill battle in his video to regain fan faith in that thing ,the chat and even Rick made fun of how long it took him to kill 25 zombies lol

10 hours ago, hiemfire said:

I beg to differ, though we may just be using it differently. As a low level choke point leveler and coup de grace tool it is quite nice, especially when paired with a stone sledge. Going to be nicer with the ammo getting cheaper to craft. 😈

And it no longer forces an auto-reload so you can shoot and scoot without hotbar gymnastics.

We'll get there. One issue at a time.

1 hour ago, Damocles said:

Those on-screen icons for certain objects might get to be a nuisance. Maybe some kind of GUI toggle, or ping (showing them for a limited time) would be better here.

(I can foresee lots of complaints about those icons already)

Some will hate their very existence, for most it will be a matter of fine tuning.

I believe Lathan set all of these up on a best-guess base.

You can adjust min and  max range of when they are shown.

26 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

The autoshotgun had a pretty bad showing, but it might have been Lathan's aim playing a big part in him using like 200  bullets to kill 25 enemies. I'm confused on why it's called the Auto shotgun if it's still semi auto. I figured it'd be a typical AA-12

You can install mods for burst or full auto fire and even higher rate of fire.
You can't do that with a pump gun.

I didn't see the stream and without knowing the perks, installed mods, and the random quality of the gun it's all assumptions.

I tought I was just sleepy yesterday, but I just rewatched the stream and prime did get a LEVEL 5 AK-47 as his reward for his FIRST MISSION... on day 1... a buried supplies quest... Wasn't stone age supposed to last longer?

also.. what happened to spawning only on the forest biome?

1 hour ago, Khalagar said:

In A18 on the second hardest difficulty, my level 4 pump shotgun has way better damage than what he was dishing out with the Auto, maybe the lack of mods + terrible aim were the problem? Madmole has an uphill battle in his video to regain fan faith in that thing ,the chat and even Rick made fun of how long it took him to kill 25 zombies lol

Well he did spawn in 25 radiated soldiers and was using only normal shells which made it take a long time to kill them.

8 hours ago, KuriousTurtle said:

I see Snowdog in the love chat asking all of the good questions lol. 😏

transgender zombies in wheelchairs was his best one!

4 hours ago, Kanaan Brood said:

I love the idea of a ressurector type Zombie. Bringing back to life the zombies you just killed would be awesome. headless zombies should be exempt though. 

i mean i had that idea but no one wants to listen to my rambles 

SHHHHHHHHH *slowly rubs can of spam* "don't worry that will listen! THEY WILL!"

WHO SAID THAT????? 

57 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Unlikely. Those start at 3am.

but i want to see his sexy face :(

like Trader rekt on stream!

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

You can install mods for burst or full auto fire and even higher rate of fire.

You can't do that with a pump gun.

just pump really FAST!

Modern Problems (GIF) - Album on Imgur

23 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Yeah, um... If that was the trader unbalance Joel briefly hinted at before (compared to what you'd find in loot), then um... I'm not going to be questing at all in A19. 😛

But if there is nothing to repair it with, its gonna be a short fun. Dunno if they made changes, like if we gonna need parts, too, not only repkit. 

55 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:
4 hours ago, Jugom said:

I tought I was just sleepy yesterday, but I just rewatched the stream and prime did get a LEVEL 5 AK-47 as his reward for his FIRST MISSION... on day 1... a buried supplies quest... Wasn't stone age supposed to last longer?

also.. what happened to spawning only on the forest biome?

Yeah, um... If that was the trader unbalance Joel briefly hinted at before (compared to what you'd find in loot), then um... I'm not going to be questing at all in A19. 😛

I think he had activated that admin thingie where he gets all perks at max, so he must also have gotten better rewards for quests because of that...

On 6/12/2020 at 7:28 AM, Sigil_Thane said:

The Roleplay is in the HOW of the stats... C'mon. Be Creative!

Low Charisma? Maybe you smell bad, Or Talk with in annoying pitch, OR are too gruff, OR Maybe have a habit of blurting out things that are better unsaid.

Low Dexterity? maybe you are clumsy, OR you had suffered an injury that makes you move stiffly, OR maybe there is even the effect of a curse which tends to make you dodge INTO attacks instead of away.

Part of the reason I have always loved role playing games is that they give us both the opportunity and motive to try to see things from someone else's point of view.

The method you describe I think could be summarized as a process of looking at the attributes of a character, hypothesizing up a story about how those numbers came to be, and playing as if that story is true.

The problem, as I see it, with that method is that it is not at all like the experience of being a person from the inside. It is in fact, exactly the same process we use to judge our neighbours from the outside. We look at someone, see their external, visible characteristics (and in this sense, I think intelligence and charisma and such are all visible, in how people behave, speak, and relate), and make up a story in our heads about that person. We then, in most cases without thinking about it, behave as if that story is true.

And hey, a lot of the time that's fine. You cannot overthink every tiny interaction.

But a role playing game can be a wonderful opportunity to practice our other, more sympathetic skills in a fun way.

So, the method I use for character creation, if I get to choose the game mechanics, is something like this:

1. First, peruse the game rules and choose a character class, or idea, of what you want your character to be. Pretty much just what you would do before beginning point-assignment, in those cases where you have a pool of points to spend.
  2. However, we do this in a system which uses dice to generate random attributes,  and proceed to roll the dice.
  3. The original concept, and the numbers the dice gave you, will almost certainly be in conflict in some small or large ways.
  4. Think about how that would feel, as the young version of that character. They always wanted to be a wizard, but rolled 6 on int. How do they respond to this?
    1. Do they try to be a wizard anyway?
    2. Do they reluctantly give up and do something more mundane?
    3. Do they decide to quest for some kind of macguffin to help raise their intelligence? How would a person with 6 int approach such a task? How would they lean on their other attributes while doing so?

I think that you can see the process here, and how character creation would then proceed. If I failed to be clear, let me know. :)

And I think approaching things this way, leads to a much more enjoyable kind of roleplaying than  other methods I have tried. I have also found it really gets me wondering about the lives of the people I talk to in real life. Because if you try this a few times and compare to the quicker method, you start to realize they are making use of whole different sections of your brain. I think the quicker method makes heavy use of our brains threat assessment mechanisms, while the more thoughtful approach (not that @Sigil_Thane said anything thoughtless, just that the second approach requires more thought) leans on theory of mind.

8 hours ago, Kanaan Brood said:

I love the idea of a ressurector type Zombie. Bringing back to life the zombies you just killed would be awesome. headless zombies should be exempt though. 

THAT is a super cool idea, that I didn't catch during the stream. Was it just now from your head? If so you are brilliant, if not, someone else is brilliant. And hey, let's just have a brilliance party and assume both are true. :)

Thanks for mentioning though because the idea is new to me.

12 minutes ago, strask said:

THAT is a super cool idea, that I didn't catch during the stream. Was it just now from your head? If so you are brilliant, if not, someone else is brilliant. And hey, let's just have a brilliance party and assume both are true. :)

Thanks for mentioning though because the idea is new to me.

Richard mentioned ressurectors during the stream when he started talking about special types. Not my Idea. They would make clearing a POI quite the process until you found them protecting the boss chest.

1 minute ago, Kanaan Brood said:

Richard mentioned ressurectors during the stream when he started talking about special types. Not my Idea. They would make clearing a POI quite the process until you found them protecting the boss chest.

Oh my, so like they could do it from a big distance? That's interesting. I was thinking more something, perhaps small, that would skitter around in areas you thought you already cleared. :)

26 minutes ago, Kanaan Brood said:

that zombie in my mind would fit in nicely in my book. granted imo i think some special zombies could uses some tlc. like the feral wight! he is just kinda a fast and strong zombie (if he has a special ability let me know) and stuff like the spider zombie could move side to side to avoid your attacks!  

now i have a few ideas of special zombies that i think would be nice and sense Rich said that they can go into a resident evil zombies. that also gives me more ideas. will post in the Pimp dreams but sense im bored ill post some down here

Spoiler
  • Slasher: hes face looks very rotten to the point where you can see his skull! but his eyes are still in the sockets, and has string like hair. but he reason he is called the "slasher" is due to his Arms mostly his hands have been removed and his bone has be sharped to the point where they are like machetes, while he can't break blocks wells he can cut through flesh and armor easily (at least 35% armor damage) 
  • Radioactive Corpse: this zombie is basically the Radioactive zombies we have but instead of many zombies looks. they have 1 model which looks like a super rotten zombie that has glowing flesh parts and his eyes are green. they can spawn out in the wasteland and they heal themselves deal radioactive damage  
  • Ravager: this could be the zombie Madmole talks about with the humans that are so radioactive that zombies don't eat them, while they look kinda like a feral wight but with more human features like human teeth but longer Sharp teeth! they can uses Armor (mostly tier 1 or 2)  but some times they don't where armor or cloths, just a loin cloth! and weapons they can uses is (bows, crossbows, tools, stone axes, melee weapons, and scraping tools!)
  •  fumer: this zombie may look normal but its skin has turned a dark red due to so much blood building up in the body!, he has a small belly that is also full of blood and large Boils on his back that allow him to FUME this blood that is toxic to humans but makes zombies go into overdrive and can even bring them back from the dead! he's fums are so toxic that it drains health and makes people sick and even lose there lunch!
  • Goliath: this zombie this a very large person that was turned into a zombie. his fat is so THICC! that it can take bullets and even explosives! he is as big as a cop zombie but he has the health of a tank! and has thick boils that act like armor!    

I just finished watching the entire stream...

I had to watch it in two sessions and put the replay speed at x1.25! 😅

I must say that both this Lathan guy and Rick are very funny at times.

The Knuckle Rub recurring joke was hilarious... 🤣

Rick gave such a great perspective about 7DTD development and I'm really excited about this game's future and also about TFP's future in general.

Keep going guys, you're doin' it the right way! ✌️

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'm curious, what are your thoughts on the design of the auto shotgun?

Unpopular opinion maybe, but... I found it kind of an ugly, clunky design? *Shrugs*

Are you referring to the graphic art design?  It did look a bit bulky but it sounded real meaty which i think is nice.

7 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Are you referring to the graphic art design?  It did look a bit bulky but it sounded real meaty which i think is nice.

Yeah. Maybe Lathan's options weren't set to the highest possible, as I did notice a couple textures were blurry in the world; idk if it's just me, but the auto shotgun to me looked like you could tell it was paper thin. It was bulky, but not bulky at the same time. Lol

Archived