Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

6 hours ago, JaxTeller718 said:

Yep. Ill go you one better and say that you never NEED to put a single point into anything. You do not need any perk to survive this game. Sorry if that hurts some peoples feelings but its true because I have done it.

Every single thing you get from perks in regards to recipes you can get via looting eventually, stations can be found in the world. And any "boosts" you get from buying perks is all just to accommodate over kill in your stats and damage output.

Some players strongly feel that they must have XYZ right when they want to but that's what perks are for.

They then go around projecting their own preferences on everyone else. =P

11 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Some players strongly feel that they must have XYZ right when they want to but that's what perks are for.

They then go around projecting their own preferences on everyone else. =P

ESPECIALLY, the min/max 'ers.....  🤣

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

ESPECIALLY, the min/max 'ers.....  🤣

I may be showing my age here but what exactly is a min/max'er? I am old and can't keep up with you kids and all your fancy terms.

7 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

Good idea!

but i uses them to summon the kraken!

• step 1: find rats!
  • step 2: light fire!
  • step 3: uses the blood of 2 rats to make a circle 
  • step 4: Draw TFP logo (Minis the pimp cane) with the 3th rat
  • step 5: chant "nekark eht esaeler" 3 times!
  • step 6: cut your hand and uses your blood to draw the pimp cane on the logo
  • step 7: eat (number of alphas) about of spam, in this case 19!
  • step 8: chant "nekark eht esaeler" again but slowly
  • Step 9: Release the Horde!

and then the with in a week or 2, news for A19 or any alphas will come! 

note: this is a joke, i don't condone the apuse of animals unless they are cockroaches. doing this may summon another demon, drink reasonably!

Adam, some of us are getting worried. Do you need to talk about it? Cutting is an obvious sign of anxiety. We are here to help.

21 minutes ago, Kanaan Brood said:

I may be showing my age here but what exactly is a min/max'er? I am old and can't keep up with you kids and all your fancy terms.

Adam, some of us are getting worried. Do you need to talk about it? Cutting is an obvious sign of anxiety. We are here to help.

As far as I understand it, Minimum amount of effort, maximum reward

21 minutes ago, Kanaan Brood said:

I may be showing my age here but what exactly is a min/max'er?

Someone who plays to maximize efficiency. Once the most efficient choices are determined they will always make those choices. Their primary goal tends to be to speed play through the progression arc as quickly as possible. 

What do you do to pick one out of a crowd? Nothing. They’ll reveal themselves within minutes by sharing the fact that they got a concrete fort, all the workstations, and the gyrocopter by Day (x-10) where x is the day posted by the last min/maxer to share....

On 6/11/2020 at 1:34 AM, MechanicalLens said:

2. Suddenly Discord was there. It literally just popped out of nowhere it seemed, or at least that was my observation.

Complete with millions of servers and active users already.

Slack did the same thing.

Whatsapp did it too.

On 6/11/2020 at 1:28 AM, Khalagar said:

I feel so old now days. All these kids and their Youtubes, Discords, and Twitches for everything. Back in my day, we yelled at devs on ancient text forums the good old fashioned way. With angry ASCII images that broke 80% of the time because of the forum format spacing

I'm barely even joking, people and their discord links for everything. Why would I want to join a discord full of random people to see a build guide, just post what perks and gear you pick on a forum like a normal person. I don't want to speak with the other weirdos into the same things as me, I already have to deal with enough weirdos in my life by tolerating my own existence

Meanwhile some of us used BBSes, Fidonet, Janet, and Bitnet and found weird ways to get bluemail to talk between them (Copy-paste? What's that?)

34 minutes ago, Roland said:

Someone who plays to maximize efficiency. Once the most efficient choices are determined they will always make those choices. Their primary goal tends to be to speed play through the progression arc as quickly as possible. 

What do you do to pick one out of a crowd? Nothing. They’ll reveal themselves within minutes by sharing the fact that they got a concrete fort, all the workstations, and the gyrocopter by Day (x-10) where x is the day posted by the last min/maxer to share....

Ah thats a Min/Maxer. i just call them "arrogant Jerks"

22 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Isn't the Steam sale the 25th? So close to being out before the Steam sale, not far off the original target!

It means people will buy Alpha 18 at the sale, and then shortly after starting to play they get an update, so the game development and updates feel very active and regular to the new buyers.

2 hours ago, Kanaan Brood said:

lol, min max is a 30 year old term. using minimum points to maximize character stats and abilities to make the strongest character possible, one who tries to squeeze every point they can out of it.

I always thought it was

Minimize your weakness's

Maximize your strengths.

As to personality, I don't think a Min-Max'er has a specific personality type.  It would be a bit simple minded to think so with any (Edit: single) behavior.

19 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Labels put on humans are not 100% correct. In other news: water is wet. =P

That's very true.

For example Sun Tzu's The Art of War, was textbook Min-Max'ing.

Even after all those words he wrote, it would be difficult to pin a personality type on him.

Yes water is wet, unless its not. (Super heated steam or frozen ice).

1 hour ago, Aldranon said:

I always thought it was

Minimize your weakness's

Maximize your strengths.

As to personality, I don't think a Min-Max'er has a specific personality type.  It would be a bit simple minded to think so with any (Edit: single) behavior.

Actually, as far as I recall, the term "min maxer" comes originally from certain classes of old-school pen and paper role playing games in the dungeons & dragons style, where during character creation players were given pools of points (much like the perk points in 7d, in fact) to spend on various attributes, skills, etc.

MinMaxing was a strategy to make the most efficient use of those points, by dumping them all or mostly into a small number of features, to maximize your power in your chosen area of expertise, by minimizing the number of points you spend elsewhere. The technique varies from game to game, but often includes tricks that involve taking advantage of high-level advantages from the areas you specialize in, to compensate for your complete lack of points spent in other areas. In fact, some games where this is popular allow you to take "character flaws", which are like negative perks that when taken, give you more perk points for other things. Taking as many such negative traits as is practical to get the highest possible number of points is considered standard.

So for example, a Min-Max wizard character might have maximum intelligence, wisdom, spell points, or whatever other wizardly things there are, but NOTHING spent in strength, stamina, or whatever things there are that are unrelated to wizardry. Then they use their spells as needed, which are going to be more powerful than a typical, evenly balanced wizards, to compensate for the weak attributes.

What I just described, and what @Roland described above, are not directly overlapping, so it's quite possible to BOTH minmax in the sense that I just described, AND progress speedily to end-game, but neither tactic really depends on the other.

I more often play just, I don't know, slowly I guess. And more evenly balanced, my perk points get pretty spread out. But sometimes I will do one or the other of those things, because that's the mood I'm in. I'm autistic, and optimization games are fun some times.

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

Labels put on humans are not 100% correct. In other news: water is wet. =P

are you shocked when the sun rises in the morning? 

4 hours ago, Kanaan Brood said:

I Don't Think I Will GIF | Gfycat

I still remember D&D with the the 3(?) booklets including the "Chain mail" booklet in the Box set.  :)

The first time my brother played, he wanted a "guard Pig"(!),  I asked why not a guard dog and he mentioned a pigs better sense of smell and intelligence.  He also wanted a hammock and slept in the trees.  He liked Min-maxing.

**A throw of three dies determined the value of each of the player six stats, not any points unless your talking about a computer game.

Nevertheless, I think most people will tire of a game if its too easy, and ether:

1) Make the game harder with mods or modify their play style as you do.

2) Stop playing until something changes.

9 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

I still remember D&D with the the 3(?) booklets including the "Chain mail" booklet in the Box set.  :)

The first time my brother played, he wanted a "guard Pig"(!),  I asked why not a guard dog and he mentioned a pigs better sense of smell and intelligence.  He also wanted a hammock and slept in the trees.  He liked Min-maxing.

**A throw of three dies determined the value of each of the player six stats, not any points unless your talking about a computer game.

Nevertheless, I think most people will tire of a game if its too easy, and ether:

1) Make the game harder with mods or modify their play style as you do.

2) Stop playing until something changes.

Guard Pigs and hammocks are both things I approve of. :)

Yeah, I know D&D used dice for character creation, but it's the trademark that non roleplayers all know that gives them the idea of the right sort of game in general. That's why I said, or tried to say, that I was talking about other games in that general style.

3 minutes ago, strask said:

Guard Pigs and hammocks are both things I approve of. :)

Yeah, I know D&D used dice for character creation, but it's the trademark that non roleplayers all know that gives them the idea of the right sort of game in general. That's why I said, or tried to say, that I was talking about other games in that general style.

Unless you play PvP their are no real victims to Min-Max'ing (however anyone defines it).  If the player is having fun (or not!) that's their deal. 

I like exploring as many aspects of a game as I can and still have fun.  Min-maxing is usually ONE of my play styles, because its interesting to me.

1 minute ago, Aldranon said:

Unless you play PvP their are no real victims to Min-Max'ing (however anyone defines it).  If the player is having fun (or not!) that's their deal.

Game design is one of the victims if you listen to them too much. =P

1 minute ago, Gazz said:

Game design is one of the victims if you listen to them too much. =P

If you listen how "easy" the game is and shift the whole games difficult up, yeah, bad for most if not all.

I'm all for options, both extremes: DeathWorld(the book) and Stardew(the game) are things I enjoy for completely different reasons.

Archived