madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, faatal said:

Mine is the 24th and I'm supposed to be in that days stream.

so does that mean its coming out around the summer sale?

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

I mean, I was like 2% joking with the "mandatory tier" perks thing, but not really. You can of course play without them, but some perks are just a bajillion times better than others, it's going to happen with any game.

You can play without Miner 69 and Mother Lode for example, but it's going to be drastically more tedious to do basically anything. You'll have to buy literally everything from traders and rely purely on their RNG to see if they even have anything you need, and won't be able to just tear through the walls and safes in a PoI.

It's totally doable, just pointlessly tedious when you can just perk into two of the best perks in the game that will increase QoL drastically

As half the world is underground I like to dig, I perk mining at least a little and sometimes make huge underground places (nothing like JC's Channel though).

I worry that TFP plan removing voxels for their next game, as they have very little content past basements.  The little marker boulders could end up being permanent or respawn after a few days.

But if their next game in is the whole New York city area with all the subways and sewers, then voxels would be a bad idea as the game would be so HUGE!  :) 

Edited by Aldranon
spelling (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

I mean, I was like 2% joking with the "mandatory tier" perks thing, but not really. You can of course play without them, but some perks are just a bajillion times better than others, it's going to happen with any game.

You can play without Miner 69 and Mother Lode for example, but it's going to be drastically more tedious to do basically anything. You'll have to buy literally everything from traders and rely purely on their RNG to see if they even have anything you need, and won't be able to just tear through the walls and safes in a PoI.

It's totally doable, just pointlessly tedious when you can just perk into two of the best perks in the game that will increase QoL drastically

You won't find many people disagreeing about miner69 and motherlode, but you made the same "mandatory" comment about a lot of other perks and there is much much less consensus about those.

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Other positive examples are in a few computer RPGs that actually provide dumb dialog choices if you play a low-int character. At least Arcanum and Fallout 2 were often cited as games you really should replay as a brute.

I remember Fallout having the low intelligence dialogs. Did not know Arcanum also had it.

On 6/10/2020 at 12:18 PM, Guppycur said:

I think the game is much scarier when you're in a building surrounded by zombies than when you're outside of a building and most of the zombies are hidden within. 

I don't mind the sleeper system, but I do wish it was not the predominant system.

At least make a system where if sleepers wake up, the biome spawns increase and zombies head your general direction.

That would put a great deal more pressure on you.

Hopefully the event manager can do that when its done.

41 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

I perked into strength and still don't mine into safes, the breeching rounds are king. One shot pops open a small safe. Not everyone mines. People have their play styles. People coming over from minecraft will spec into mining, people coming from COD will do fortitude. Quake players might want perception for railgun and rl type experience. People who like stealth games or gunslinging might go with agility. I wouldn't assume everyone plays like me and neither should you. While the axe is sufficient and free for me because I like to build, I don't use it in combat and I "waste" the perk points on clubs because its just more satisfying to me. I'm not a hardcore min maxer though, I do a bit of role playing and do what is fun instead of always the most efficient. My new base is beautiful and horrible at the same time, but I like a challenge :)

https://twitter.com/joelhuenink/status/1271527086188949504?s=20

• Like 6

Would be also an idea to have a group of zombies spawn and try to destroy the players running / recently used workstations when the player comes close again to them (eg coming back to the base).

This would make the base more vulnerable to attack, and thus require closing doors when leaving the base etc..

So the next best target to the player is the player property.

(also vehicles should be a target)

• Poop 1

Posted (edited)

Love the little details MM!  Plus points for the use of those wood trellis frames and those thicker wooden quarter blocks. 😎👍

MNX0mz4.jpg

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Does it matter? It's a blunderbuss. 😛

Best part of blunderbuss is, that when you shoot with it, you not only kill a brainmuncher, you scare the @%$*#! out of the co-op player(s) near you, who have no idea where this big boom comes from, or what is going around and it is just the best, at any moment in early game. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

my base is better

*snip*

Here's mine...

BL8oLEj.jpg

• Sad 1

Just now, MechanicalLens said:

Scrubs. At least my house is structurally sound. ;)

8337249a4c0ea15ff554d61c9eb66931.thumb.jpg.186c2976f1ee939116731bb839c2d455.jpg

*slowly blows the the cards down*

snowdog i swear to god!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, madmole said:

Hopefully the event manager can do that when its done.

I perked into strength and still don't mine into safes, the breeching rounds are king. One shot pops open a small safe. Not everyone mines. People have their play styles. People coming over from minecraft will spec into mining, people coming from COD will do fortitude. Quake players might want perception for railgun and rl type experience. People who like stealth games or gunslinging might go with agility. I wouldn't assume everyone plays like me and neither should you. While the axe is sufficient and free for me because I like to build, I don't use it in combat and I "waste" the perk points on clubs because its just more satisfying to me. I'm not a hardcore min maxer though, I do a bit of role playing and do what is fun instead of always the most efficient. My new base is beautiful and horrible at the same time, but I like a challenge :)

https://twitter.com/joelhuenink/status/1271527086188949504?s=20

Did... did you say railgun?

"... players might want perception for railgun and rl type experience."

Also nice base, hope to see some vids soon.

Edited by Mechanimal
needed a splash of italic (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

*slowly blows the the cards down*

Aladin parked on the wrong place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beerfly said:

Best part of blunderbuss is, that when you shoot with it, you not only kill a brainmuncher, you scare the @%$*#! out of the co-op player(s) near you, who have no idea where this big boom comes from, or what is going around and it is just the best, at any moment in early game. 

My wife cusses when I shoot a zombie with one, my daughter giggles.

27 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

Did... did you say railgun?

I think by "railgun" he means high single shot damage and long range.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Aldranon said:

I worry that TFP plan removing voxels for their next game, as they have very little content past basements.  The little marker boulders could end up being permanent or respawn after a few days.

It's been mentioned before by Madmole that he / they (maybe TFP in general) regret having the digging aspects in the game . . .which is baffling to me because it's literally the reason me and my friends play 7 days, as it's essentially the only survival game of this style that has digging and a consistent threat and is the unique flair of the game IMO. If you lost the digging aspects it would face extreme competition with Ark / Conan / The Forest / Rust / Even games like this etc on basically all fronts

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

It's been mentioned before by Madmole that he / they (maybe TFP in general) regret having the digging aspects in the game . . .which is baffling to me because it's literally the reason me and my friends play 7 days, as it's essentially the only survival game of this style that has digging and a consistent threat and is the unique flair of the game IMO. If you lost the digging aspects it would face extreme competition with Ark / Conan / The Forest / Rust / Even games like this etc on basically all fronts

If only every building in the game was adapted and designed with integrated half blocks both for height and width, the 1m size block problems and the camera having a point of view too low would be fixed. Having a rectagle voxel with more height than width would mean a complete redesign and months of work  (technically they'll still be voxels, though). Truth is, I'm fine with the way it is now, they did a fine job with the assets and limitations the have.  I agree the voxel nature of the game is what makes it better than any other similar titles out there. 

The gameplay balance is starting to become another highlight of 7dtd. It just needs legendary items and bosses and legendary bosses, and legendary boxes with bosses and items, and bosses with items in boxes.

• Like 1