Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Vomitting removed. Bad food hurts health and has a chance for dysentery. Basic food heals a little and adds fullness. Advanced recipes give max stamina bonuses and greatly increases health and fullness. 

I know I'm late but... even though it's unlikely, I feel like I influenced the game for the better (again)! WOOOO ^^

1 hour ago, Roland said:

It's bygones, guys. Let's move on from it.

I've seen a couple additional remade zombies not yet shown-- and one of them is incredibly disturbing to me. I don't know why, as it isn't particularly gory but it is just.... wrong. Uncanny valley? I dunno. At any rate the art guys continue to hit home runs with these and the fact that they look at you now....<shiver>

Any guesses on which two? 

Feral Wight and Spider zombie?

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I've seen a couple additional remade zombies not yet shown-- and one of them is incredibly disturbing to me. I don't know why, as it isn't particularly gory but it is just.... wrong. Uncanny valley? I dunno. At any rate the art guys continue to hit home runs with these and the fact that they look at you now....<shiver>

hmmmm...... I guess the Spider for sure... Considering it's stance, and still looking at you, that could be freaky as hell. If you think of Trainspotting that baby on the ceiling comes to mind. 

For the younger folks ( Skip to the end if you are in a hurry, but don't skip the end )

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Arlene, Marlene, Darlene, Boe and the Asian guy are finished. My guesses are Big Bertha and .... mmm Zombie Moe? Biker? Oh, wait. It is the Lumberjack.

4 hours ago, Roland said:

moe, yo, Darlene and Fat Grandma!

SHOW US! 

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Big Bertha and the Spider is my guess. I truly hate the spiders. Fracking ankle breakers!

2 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

I know I'm late but... even though it's unlikely, I feel like I influenced the game for the better (again)! WOOOO ^^

I like your confidence - you have a high sense of self importance.  Id be willing to bet tho - that they would have made this same change if u never joined the forums.  

However, in the off chance that im wrong, and your sphere if influence is really that grand,  can you convince Peta Jensen or Asa Akira to stop by my house? Please?

59 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I like your confidence - you have a high sense of self importance.  Id be willing to bet tho - that they would have made this same change if u never joined the forums.  

However, in the off chance that im wrong, and your sphere if influence is really that grand,  can you convince Peta Jensen or Asa Akira to stop by my house? Please?

I mean... I got us electric doors for A18... so its not impossible xD
(and no I am aware that they were to be included anyways, its an insider)
And I am also aware that it is highly unlikely, but I stated that already :3

And if you can send me their 7d2d forum profiles... maybe... :D  (#irony, in case you didn't realize :D)

6 hours ago, Roland said:

I can count very high by profession but like you I can’t count that high either.....

+1 for backpack dumping. 

So you never made that step from finger counting to algebra? 😁

4 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

Are you Viktoriousiv from now on? 😉

1 hour ago, Kanaan Brood said:

Big Bertha and the Spider is my guess. I truly hate the spiders. Fracking ankle breakers!

They did show a concept art of Big Bertha. It might be the spider zombie, though that one has to look like Tom the backer, so I'm not sure how much they can change his design before he stops looking alike. Lol.

53 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

They did show a concept art of Big Bertha. It might be the spider zombie, though that one has to look like Tom the backer, so I'm not sure how much they can change his design before he stops looking alike. Lol.

i hope they make all the special zombies look very mutated zombies!  

8 minutes ago, Roland said:

It’s not the spider or any other special. I think it might be the hair and the fact it remind me of someone I know....

Nurse? Hasn't been teased visually yet that I can recall and isn't a special. Iirc MadMole did say they were changing her because the sexy nurse Halloween costume didn't fit with the feel of the game, too occasion specific of an outfit for something that shows up everywhere, and were swapping it out for scrubs.

19 hours ago, Khulkhuum said:

I know i will be walking off topic (and also off 7DTD) for a few sentences, but this is to prove a point.

So i've been deep in 1.4 for Terraria. Among all the blissfully new content, new features and updates, some early to mid game balance has been introduced. I could say that i am a fairly good Terraria player and know about most of the more important stuff in the game (including many of the tricks and quick advancements available in the previous versions). Right now, A LOT of those have been nerfed in favor of making players take a slower pace before midgame (enabling Hardmode where everything is suddenly tougher, new enemies spawn, new ores can spawn and you start gaining access to harder bosses). With all the other new stuff, it all brings so much freshness, i could sink many more hours before i advance. Not because i wouldn't be able, but because i have not attained most of the things i usually would already have with so many hours in. NOW i have more purpose.

Translating to 7DTD, i wish some day to have an update where starting from scratch will get me to enjoy the "Stone Age" a little longer, but still allow to have good enough equipment to live on. Starting focus to craft mid tier equipment, building a base, exploring T3 and T4 POIs - all of this will feel like another step you have to take to find some better loot, survive another week, take up the challenge of another, stronger horde. Not that such emotions aren't there, but as some people stated - finding top tier or mid tier loot at the beginning doesn't allow you to enjoy the starting equipment. A18 definitely had a better gameplay than A17 and i presume A19 will have an even better balance.

Who knows what future will bring? Patience. Patience is the key.

So far I think it is going to have this effect. I'm getting a proper carrot on a stick so far. I think that traders upset the balance a little, but its fine. They give you t1 guns before you could find one but loot will out grow what they can sell you.

The way my game has gone so far up to day 10-11 or so, level 15 ish I believe is something like this:
I found a brown blunderbuss just before I was going to craft one. I was two shotting most zombies with it and having a great time. Then I was given a brown double barrel and I use both weapons. I use the blunder first, and if I didn't kill them with it I switched to my double barrel to finish them off. Great times. I spec'd into str and probably around te horde time I crafted a yellow blunderbuss which was a bit better than the brown one. I also got a brown pistol in loot and an ak47 as a quest reward, also brown, and very nerfed to make room for the new mid tier assault machine gun which feels more like the AK we all know and love. It shoots kind of slow and I had 4 rounds so I just stowed it away. FFW to last night, I found a green blunderbuss so I swapped my mods into it and smelted my yellow one. Yes we are modding primitives actually! Then I found an orange double barrel that does 1 more damage than my brown one did, and so I scrapped the brown to parts so I can make a pump shotgun when I get tier 4 rank (which unlocks t2 weapon crafting). Parts are more common now, so crafting seems more relevant.

For armor I have a hodge podge of things. Purple cloth hood, blue scrap leg armor, green iron chest (found in hero chest at POI), yellow iron boots (quest reward) and brown iron gloves I think. Nothing great.

So to me it feels like a little bit longer stone age than before, and then you'll really feel a lot longer early mid, mid and late game hopefully and use several items of mid teirs before advancing to top tier things. Its one of the best changes to the game I've seen in years.

Eventually (A20) we want to put in a game and loot slider in so you can have enemies get harder faster or slower, and loot get better faster or slower so there is some simulation controls there.

19 hours ago, mr.devolver said:

I understand what you're trying to say, but I'm not much of a builder, let alone a good building designer. That's why I always settle for a small one room base, a simple cube that can hold one of each type of vanilla workstations and a single bedroll. If I add mods that add more workstations, I have to extend the base with another room, but that new room is again just an exact copy of the first boring cube. I would like to try some prettier base designs, like your castles, but thinking of a pretty design while trying to keep it useable isn't that easy for me and I usually don't have enough patience for that. Usually I even have enough material for some nice improvements, but I spend that time killing zombies instead of building. I guess in MP this is not a problem as there's always someone who likes to build, but in SP this is something you have to do all by yourself and again I do have patience issues lol

I get tired of the same exact base every game so even though I start with a 7x7 box I do something different with it every time. Change the crenelations etc.

29 minutes ago, madmole said:

Eventually (A20) we want to put in a game and loot slider in so you can have enemies get harder faster or slower, and loot get better faster or slower so there is some simulation controls there.

Nuff said. Can't wait!

1 hour ago, Roland said:

It’s not the spider or any other special. I think it might be the hair and the fact it remind me of someone I know....

Joel. zombie with beard so.

Biker, Farmer, Lumberjack, cowboy, thats all the zombies with beards i think....

My money is on the Lumberjack!

show us? Pretty Please

Puss in Boots

3 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

those are not special zombies, those are tough/normal zombies 

he's talking about stuff like the burnt victim, screamer, cop, and wight!

Ya, I just double checked and was about to edit my post to say "Ignore, I derped"... :)  👍

Archived