Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

43 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

thats not true, you guys update and makes things better. some times it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Its called sarcasm...lol

10 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Nevermind, I have a better idea. I'll fly around in a creative test world, loot as many high-end containers (safes, locked chests, gunstore boxes, etc.) and record their contents, and report my findings. 🙂

I think he is referring to A19...not A18...:)

...Don't waste your time...

16 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Nevermind, I have a better idea. I'll fly around in a creative test world, loot as many high-end containers (safes, locked chests, gunstore boxes, etc.) and record their contents, and report my findings. 🙂

You will really only have to spawn cntLootWeapons at various gamestages... but whatever makes you happy =P

4 hours ago, madmole said:

People should build their own, where is the fun in copy paste?

I just google small castles and get some loose ideas and run with it. Keep a tab open to look at it here and there. You can even google minecraft castles and use those for inspiration, but add curved geometry if you want.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I'm not much of a builder, let alone a good building designer. That's why I always settle for a small one room base, a simple cube that can hold one of each type of vanilla workstations and a single bedroll. If I add mods that add more workstations, I have to extend the base with another room, but that new room is again just an exact copy of the first boring cube. I would like to try some prettier base designs, like your castles, but thinking of a pretty design while trying to keep it useable isn't that easy for me and I usually don't have enough patience for that. Usually I even have enough material for some nice improvements, but I spend that time killing zombies instead of building. I guess in MP this is not a problem as there's always someone who likes to build, but in SP this is something you have to do all by yourself and again I do have patience issues lol

I know i will be walking off topic (and also off 7DTD) for a few sentences, but this is to prove a point.

So i've been deep in 1.4 for Terraria. Among all the blissfully new content, new features and updates, some early to mid game balance has been introduced. I could say that i am a fairly good Terraria player and know about most of the more important stuff in the game (including many of the tricks and quick advancements available in the previous versions). Right now, A LOT of those have been nerfed in favor of making players take a slower pace before midgame (enabling Hardmode where everything is suddenly tougher, new enemies spawn, new ores can spawn and you start gaining access to harder bosses). With all the other new stuff, it all brings so much freshness, i could sink many more hours before i advance. Not because i wouldn't be able, but because i have not attained most of the things i usually would already have with so many hours in. NOW i have more purpose.

Translating to 7DTD, i wish some day to have an update where starting from scratch will get me to enjoy the "Stone Age" a little longer, but still allow to have good enough equipment to live on. Starting focus to craft mid tier equipment, building a base, exploring T3 and T4 POIs - all of this will feel like another step you have to take to find some better loot, survive another week, take up the challenge of another, stronger horde. Not that such emotions aren't there, but as some people stated - finding top tier or mid tier loot at the beginning doesn't allow you to enjoy the starting equipment. A18 definitely had a better gameplay than A17 and i presume A19 will have an even better balance.

Who knows what future will bring? Patience. Patience is the key.

6 minutes ago, mr.devolver said:

I understand what you're trying to say, but I'm not much of a builder, let alone a good building designer. That's why I always settle for a small one room base, a simple cube that can hold one of each type of vanilla workstations and a single bedroll. If I add mods that add more workstations, I have to extend the base with another room, but that new room is again just an exact copy of the first boring cube. I would like to try some prettier base designs, like your castles, but thinking of a pretty design while trying to keep it useable isn't that easy for me and I usually don't have enough patience for that. Usually I even have enough material for some nice improvements, but I spend that time killing zombies instead of building. I guess in MP this is not a problem as there's always someone who likes to build, but in SP this is something you have to do all by yourself and again I do have patience issues lol

You can do two things. 

Made a hoard base separate from your main crafting base, which can be as boring as you want it to be.

Then you make your main crafting base as wild and crazy as the block stickiness system will let you :)

Most house in real life are simple shapes due to the fact that are easy to build that way and cheaper to do so, so a Square or rectangle or an L shape or if you feel really adventures a U shape. 

Look at the Pentagon, 5 sides nothing fancy about it, was designed and built in a very short time frame and the design was to maximize the floor space but it is a iconic shape known the world over.

Mad Moles base is 3 squares with bridges between with added bits on top, it's about knowing what the shape of the blocks can do for you and that only comes with practise. 

4 minutes ago, Khulkhuum said:

I know i will be walking off topic (and also off 7DTD) for a few sentences, but this is to prove a point.

So i've been deep in 1.4 for Terraria. Among all the blissfully new content, new features and updates, some early to mid game balance has been introduced. I could say that i am a fairly good Terraria player and know about most of the more important stuff in the game (including many of the tricks and quick advancements available in the previous versions). Right now, A LOT of those have been nerfed in favor of making players take a slower pace before midgame (enabling Hardmode where everything is suddenly tougher, new enemies spawn, new ores can spawn and you start gaining access to harder bosses). With all the other new stuff, it all brings so much freshness, i could sink many more hours before i advance. Not because i wouldn't be able, but because i have not attained most of the things i usually would already have with so many hours in. NOW i have more purpose.

Translating to 7DTD, i wish some day to have an update where starting from scratch will get me to enjoy the "Stone Age" a little longer, but still allow to have good enough equipment to live on. Starting focus to craft mid tier equipment, building a base, exploring T3 and T4 POIs - all of this will feel like another step you have to take to find some better loot, survive another week, take up the challenge of another, stronger horde. Not that such emotions aren't there, but as some people stated - finding top tier or mid tier loot at the beginning doesn't allow you to enjoy the starting equipment. A18 definitely had a better gameplay than A17 and i presume A19 will have an even better balance.

Who knows what future will bring? Patience. Patience is the key.

Well your in luck that is exactly what the TFP have in mind for A19, much slower gameplay, a fixed progression system and limited dukes on the traders.

@madmole, also what happened to the plan you guys had to implement some kind of preset buildings for players to use that would basically build the whole base for the player, but you would still need to have all the materials? I remember that you were talking about something like this around the same time when you announced that feature to paint the blocks as well as giving the players the new option to choose the block shapes.

Having building presets would be awesome for singleplayer bases!

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

I just want to be the first to say Welcome Back Mechanical and thanks for ending the charade....

2 hours ago, Gazz said:

A problem was identified and fixed. 😃

(I didn't do much designing on that one. A19 is a greatly simplified version of what you may see in A20 - but it's what could be done quickly)

Oh, thx. I was wondering what was the plan for a20 appart from vehicle mods. Now you just implied Legendary stuff into the equation. We DID know that they would come eventually though.

Just a little side note: Where is the Blessed Metal mod? That one is just too awesome and it's been ages since I've seen it (only in creative mode that I know of) . Plus, it has just the name that fits Snowdog's gameplay style perfectly.

16 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Oh, thx. I was wondering what was the plan for a20 appart from vehicle mods. Now you just implied Legendary stuff into the equation. We DID know that they would come eventually though.

Just a little side note: Where is the Blessed Metal Rod? That one is just too awesome and it's been ages since I've seen it (only in creative mode that I know of) . Plus, it has just the name that fits Snowdog's gameplay style perfectly.

Fixed...

3 hours ago, madmole said:

I will take the blame for sharing my enthusiasm with the fans. Some TFP members agreed a shorter cycle was a great idea in principal so I said that on the forums, but nobody wanted to do the graphics overhaul in a side branch or to deal with merging 3-4 months later so we just did the work and now we are here. Things change so what we intend one month is not the intent the next. Game development isn't flipping burgers, nobody can predict how long something will take.

I can predict that 19 will take much less time than 18 did, and 18 took less than 17 so things are getting better. We should be in experimental in June and stable before the summer sale if all goes well but if not, relax, its just a game and there are bigger things to worry about right now with this virus, the economy, etc.

We were also reminded how short builds break save games and everyone was having a lot of fun with 18, and larger builds have that "whole new game" feel so there are benefits to it taking some time.

Thank you for coming in and discussing my post. I will admit I was a little harsh. We have a passion for this game. We have bought 6 copies and built 3 computers to play it. My wife loves this game more than any other. She was so excited when we found the sign ups for a19. It was very hard to tell her that they did not pick her. The look of disappointment on her face for the love of your game was hard to take .  This is a 50 year old woman who has talked many, many people into buying your game. 

If you guys meet your expected date or at least communicate as soon as you know that it has to be pushed back I will publically apologize and praise you. If nothing else I hope you see how much passion people have for this game. While there are many more important things in life this one distraction from it means a great deal from many people.  

PS I do respect that you took time to address my post. I do not give my respect easily. Maybe you guys could open up a couple more of thos a19 slots for her. Lol

To whomever has to approve my message. I hope you can see that this post I genuine and appropriate.  

Just now, MechanicalLens said:

I come and go as I please, thank you very much.

I'm just trying to stay current on your self proclaimed posting policies.

"Come and go as I please...." Okay, I've updated my spreadsheet. :)

12 minutes ago, wclem1974 said:

If you guys meet your expected date or at least communicate as soon as you know that it has to be pushed back I will publically apologize and praise you. If nothing else I hope you see how much passion people have for this game. While there are many more important things in life this one distraction from it means a great deal from many people.  

PS I do respect that you took time to address my post. I do not give my respect easily. Maybe you guys could open up a couple more of thos a19 slots for her. Lol

To whomever has to approve my message. I hope you can see that this post I genuine and appropriate.  

i appreciate that you apologized for your tirade,  but i have a few things to add. mainly 

If you guys meet your expected date or at least communicate as soon as you know that it has to be pushed back I will publicly apologize and praise you. If nothing else I hope you see how much passion people have for this game

stuff can happen during development, from a server not working to Anything technical, and plus people like me don't want to play something super buggy. *COUGH A17 COUGH*, plus there is no reason to apologize, this post was good enough IMO

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

i appreciate that you apologized for your tirade,  but i have a few things to add. mainly 

stuff can happen during development, from a server not working to Anything technical, and plus people like me don't want to play something super buggy. *COUGH A17 COUGH*, plus there is no reason to apologize, this post was good enough IMO

Not really an apology but that I would give one under condition. I think the main thing I ask for is good communication.  Bad news is better than no news. But yes, if my earlier post which is no longer public is shown to be proven wrong that would would apologize for falcities in my statements. 

2 hours ago, wclem1974 said:

Thank you for coming in and discussing my post. I will admit I was a little harsh. We have a passion for this game. We have bought 6 copies and built 3 computers to play it. My wife loves this game more than any other. She was so excited when we found the sign ups for a19. It was very hard to tell her that they did not pick her. The look of disappointment on her face for the love of your game was hard to take .  This is a 50 year old woman who has talked many, many people into buying your game. 

They always have communicated the latest updates regarding releases as soon as they have something so rest assured regarding that. 

As a side note, follow the golden rule, treat others how you would like to be treated.  Just because its the internet, and you can't see the person reading your words doesn't make them any less hard to read...

9 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

They always have communicated the latest updates regarding releases as soon as they have something so rest assured regarding that. 

As a side note, follow the golden rule, treat others how you would like to be treated.  Just because its the internet, and you can't see the person reading your words doesn't make them any less hard to read...

You will get this in delay, sorry for that lol. There have been times of silence and lengthy times behind updates. Some people even think development he stopped all together.  I accepted madmoles explanation for the present situation. He never said I was wrong for the things I said or felt. In doing so, with his response i am able to respect his words. Truthfully I do not mind dates being missed, just tell us, the sooner the better. I used to be a purchasing manager, so when a date got missed and i only found out because the date passed it would cause problems for so many people.  When i was told the date would be missed i could plan it. So when you give a day or time period just tell me when you know you will miss it, that i can respect. 

Yes, i am a blunt person. No need to beat around the Bush. I will respect the forum rules. Just as long as they are applied equally. There was a pot pointed at me that i feel is to antagonize me but i will let slide. 

5 hours ago, wclem1974 said:

You will get this in delay, sorry for that lol. There have been times of silence and lengthy times behind updates. Some people even think development he stopped all together.  I accepted madmoles explanation for the present situation. He never said I was wrong for the things I said or felt. In doing so, with his response i am able to respect his words. Truthfully I do not mind dates being missed, just tell us, the sooner the better. I used to be a purchasing manager, so when a date got missed and i only found out because the date passed it would cause problems for so many people.  When i was told the date would be missed i could plan it. So when you give a day or time period just tell me when you know you will miss it, that i can respect. 

Yes, i am a blunt person. No need to beat around the Bush. I will respect the forum rules. Just as long as they are applied equally. There was a pot pointed at me that i feel is to antagonize me but i will let slide. 

I think this is all about the person.

You see, what TFP is doing is not working off a template. They are literally designing systems and ideas from the ground up. I have played many voxel games, and nothing comes close to what they are doing to the Unity engine. 

So, with that in mind, you get two kinds of people.

Those that understand that by creating something new, where there is no existing guides or examples to work from, that there will be inevitable unforeseen delays, systems that should work together, but for some reason do not. So whole new sections of code must be written to get around that small problem. Suddenly your small bug takes a month to fix, setting the whole release back by almost two months as that new code must be added and tested again from all angles. That is just some small example.

Then you get the people that do not consider any of that. They look at their personal interest and time/money invested and expect the developers to do miracles, so they meet your expectations. 

Anyone that pops in to this forum, knows TFP is active here every single day communicating with the community on various levels. Despite all the work they are doing on the game as well. So just be patient, and give a little understanding and consideration.  It will be done when it is done. 

46 minutes ago, Marinxar said:

I think this is all about the person.

You see, what TFP is doing is not working off a template. They are literally designing systems and ideas from the ground up. I have played many voxel games, and nothing comes close to what they are doing to the Unity engine. 

So, with that in mind, you get two kinds of people.

Those that understand that by creating something new, where there is no existing guides or examples to work from, that there will be inevitable unforeseen delays, systems that should work together, but for some reason do not. So whole new sections of code must be written to get around that small problem. Suddenly your small bug takes a month to fix, setting the whole release back by almost two months as that new code must be added and tested again from all angles. That is just some small example.

Then you get the people that do not consider any of that. They look at their personal interest and time/money invested and expect the developers to do miracles, so they meet your expectations. 

Anyone that pops in to this forum, knows TFP is active here every single day communicating with the community on various levels. Despite all the work they are doing on the game as well. So just be patient, and give a little understanding and consideration.  It will be done when it is done. 

Its one of the reasons I love 7 days to die so much, is the fact you building anything anywhere in a Quasi realistic fashion.

There are other survival games that have building out here that have building but either its a Set building you can upgrade or a bit of terrain that is marked for you to build on. 

There is nothing out there like 7D2D where you can build anywhere, dig anywhere and has satisfying combat in it.

Yes it is has its issues and taken far to long in Alpha but when you are building something truly unique it takes time.

Its a lot easier to build a survival game where you don't have to worry about, what if a player digs out all my foundations of this building. 

It's bygones, guys. Let's move on from it.

I've seen a couple additional remade zombies not yet shown-- and one of them is incredibly disturbing to me. I don't know why, as it isn't particularly gory but it is just.... wrong. Uncanny valley? I dunno. At any rate the art guys continue to hit home runs with these and the fact that they look at you now....<shiver>

Any guesses on which two? 

Archived