Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

6 minutes ago, Roland said:

The burnt forest is beautiful now. It is smoky but not impenetrably foggy. In A18 it is oppressive and depressing. In A19 it is awe-inspiring. Part of it is the return of the pine trees with all their branches burned off and just the trunks rising into the air. It really brings me back to the way the burnt forest used to be before those huge craggy trees were added everywhere.

im so glad to hear this, it was getting a little sad that the desert and forest were the only places that really looked and felt amazing to live in, heck even the wasteland made sense lol, and i hope to finally spawn in the forest, every map i have started lately has had me spawning in the desert, it gets annoying hahaha

6 hours ago, hiemfire said:

Unless you guys changed it for A19, the startle and run range of the non-aggressive animals is a good bit longer than the effective range of the pump shotgun and longer than the max ranges of the double barrel and blunderbuss from what I've seen in A18. I don't bother with the shotguns anymore because of this. For me if the target is in shotgun range then it is time to switch to melee and get ready to kite and brawl. 

Yup, save all my shotgun ammo for a turret. Never use it. It never felt balanced against the other weapons, with it's ranged penalty. Short range should have been a lot more powerful. Pistol can do a lot more damage in close range, due to it's high rate of fire.

14 hours ago, madmole said:

The way my game has gone so far up to day 10-11 or so, level 15 ish I believe is something like this:
I found a brown blunderbuss just before I was going to craft one. I was two shotting most zombies with it and having a great time. Then I was given a brown double barrel and I use both weapons. I use the blunder first, and if I didn't kill them with it I switched to my double barrel to finish them off. Great times. I spec'd into str and probably around te horde time I crafted a yellow blunderbuss which was a bit better than the brown one. I also got a brown pistol in loot and an ak47 as a quest reward, also brown, and very nerfed to make room for the new mid tier assault machine gun which feels more like the AK we all know and love. It shoots kind of slow and I had 4 rounds so I just stowed it away. FFW to last night, I found a green blunderbuss so I swapped my mods into it and smelted my yellow one. Yes we are modding primitives actually! Then I found an orange double barrel that does 1 more damage than my brown one did, and so I scrapped the brown to parts so I can make a pump shotgun when I get tier 4 rank (which unlocks t2 weapon crafting). Parts are more common now, so crafting seems more relevant.

So to me it feels like a little bit longer stone age than before, and then you'll really feel a lot longer early mid, mid and late game hopefully and use several items of mid teirs before advancing to top tier things. Its one of the best changes to the game I've seen in years.

I don't understand how you can say that you think the stone age lasts longer than before, when you just spend an entire paragraph talking about a boat-load of guns you craft/find before the first horde..

2 hours ago, DaVegaNL said:

I don't understand how you can say that you think the stone age lasts longer than before, when you just spend an entire paragraph talking about a boat-load of guns you craft/find before the first horde..

Stone age includes blunderbuss it seems.  The fact he was even using the blunderbuss speaks volumes, i have only ever used one once since i looted it, and i replaced it later that day.

Just now, MechanicalLens said:

Given its short range, I guess we'll be fighting zombies on ground level for the first horde or two. 😛

Its one of the most awkward melee weapons in game, i just wish it didnt have such a useless power attack tbh :P

For real though, there isnt really any point in aiming down the sight, but being able to butt zombies when you cant reload would be pretty awesome.

Just gave me an idea for a melee weapon mod that inserts a blunderbuss tube into the melee weapon of choice that replaces the power attack for a gunblade/hammer or something. Would be pretty gimmicky but id totally use it.

8 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

The last time I checked, the blunderbuss is a ranged weapon. 🤔

whoosh? was joking about its short range and how useless aim down sight is with it since it doesnt practically do anything for accuracy, and since the reload time is so damn long it would be more practical to just club em with the butt of it.

9 minutes ago, bloodmoth13 said:

whoosh? was joking about its short range and how useless aim down sight is with it since it doesnt practically do anything for accuracy, and since the reload time is so damn long it would be more practical to just club em with the butt of it.

I've always called the blunderbluss a melee weapons,  its funny that you said that to. 

It is really a useless melee weapon. Other melee weapons don't have an ammo cost, reload quicker, and do more damage.. I'd rather use any other melee weapon rather than the blunderbluss.

1 hour ago, bloodmoth13 said:

Stone age includes blunderbuss it seems.  The fact he was even using the blunderbuss speaks volumes, i have only ever used one once since i looted it, and i replaced it later that day.

Yeah indeed.. I see all gunpowder weapons to be past the stone age in the game.

Then again, I'm not an American, so I wouldn't know :P

4 minutes ago, DaVegaNL said:

Yeah indeed.. I see all gunpowder weapons to be past the stone age in the game.

Then again, I'm not an American, so I wouldn't know :P

America was discovered during the blackpowder age right? thats practically stone age to them :P

I wouldnt be bragging about looting an orange blunderbuss in A18, its obsolete by the time you loot it, its probably on the same tier as primitive bow with how awkward it is. 

9 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I've always called the blunderbluss a melee weapons,  its funny that you said that to. 

It is really a useless melee weapon. Other melee weapons don't have an ammo cost, reload quicker, and do more damage.. I'd rather use any other melee weapon rather than the blunderbluss.

I havent really ever had a good experience with it, but thats mostly because i have to use it in melee range and the reload time is just not safe for being in melee range. General play is: walk up to something > blunderbuss it in the face but actually miss > accidentally press reload > walk at snail pace while zombie gets 6 hits in > still not reloaded > die.

Having a butt attack to knock the zombie back a little would do so much more than the ADS.

I will say that its a weapon i have always wanted to be forced into using. 

Referencing the mention of reworked zombies and someone suggesting to create one with some decomposition, with lots of skin shredded, etc.

Why not make a zombie that has some sort of bugs living under the skin? Not only would such an enemy have ripped skin here and there, but also have a centipede or something bigger crawling atop it's arm, head or leg. Not that IRL there aren't such bugs and parasites that live just under your skin... Just watch a few channels on tv where people were abroad in some country and brought back some kind of parasite that lives in their ear, under the skin on the head or somewhere in the body...

Put that into extreme, add radiation (for enlargement) and there you have it.

7 hours ago, Roland said:

One of my favorite aspects of the game in recent alphas is how they took the focus off of the player as the center of the universe. You can see a horde and they aren't walking straight at you. Details like this really make you feel part of the world rather than that feeling that the world was created for you.

Here is a small clip of Alpha 19 I was allowed to share. It shows a bit of the new music and there is this point where you can see what I'm talking about where you aren't the focus of the world. You might catch sight of one of the new zombies as well..

8 hours ago, Roland said:

One of my favorite aspects of the game in recent alphas is how they took the focus off of the player as the center of the universe. You can see a horde and they aren't walking straight at you. Details like this really make you feel part of the world rather than that feeling that the world was created for you.

Here is a small clip of Alpha 19 I was allowed to share. It shows a bit of the new music and there is this point where you can see what I'm talking about where you aren't the focus of the world. You might catch sight of one of the new zombies as well..

I totally agree

got me

6 hours ago, Marinxar said:

Yup, save all my shotgun ammo for a turret. Never use it. It never felt balanced against the other weapons, with it's ranged penalty. Short range should have been a lot more powerful. Pistol can do a lot more damage in close range, due to it's high rate of fire.

Typical "my weapon is nerfed" discussion. I usually play agility and feel the pistol is underpowered. When I played strength last time I ran around on ground level on horde night because the shotgun was so powerful.

With a pistol I really need to do headshots all the time, even with low-level zombies. I can put a whole magazine into a zombies body and he might still stand. Shotgun? Just point in the general direction and shoot, guaranteed hit and kill with two shots. Disadvantage is you need two double-barrels in your toolbelt (as long as you don't have a combat shotgun) and yes, low range (but that is adjustable with mods, try that with the club 😉)

54 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Typical "my weapon is nerfed" discussion. I usually play agility and feel the pistol is underpowered. When I played strength last time I ran around on ground level on horde night because the shotgun was so powerful.

With a pistol I really need to do headshots all the time, even with low-level zombies. I can put a whole magazine into a zombies body and he might still stand. Shotgun? Just point in the general direction and shoot, guaranteed hit and kill with two shots. Disadvantage is you need two double-barrels in your toolbelt (as long as you don't have a combat shotgun) and yes, low range (but that is adjustable with mods, try that with the club 😉)

You do know that Pistols are in the Agility skill tree, so you need some of that to point the gun properly :laser:

30 minutes ago, Khulkhuum said:

You do know that Pistols are in the Agility skill tree, so you need some of that to point the gun properly :laser:

I did say that I usually play agility. Count 7 words from the start of my post to notice it 😉

8 hours ago, Marinxar said:
10 hours ago, faatal said:

Mostly worked on rage and pain this week. My release note additions this week:

Changed: Increased boss Grace's health

Very interesting indeed...

On our current map, we have her at 3x health and twice as fast.

13 hours ago, Laz Man said:

I have a feeling most will prefer trader jen vs rekt....😂

Honestly I forgot about the specialization pass I did. I went to visit Rekt the day before the loot swapped seeing if he had a minibike (he didn't) but he had a nice supply of fresh farm food, eggs etc so I cleaned him out, I had been pretty hungry the last couple of days (day 13,14) getting ready for the horde so my food supply was gone.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived