Cooking has now become obsolete

General Dexter

And what did I gain from that setback? NOTHING. I have to eat to survive. But I didnt get more food or anything from it, since it is completely deleted.

That is why it is annoying. It is just a ressourcedump with no positive.

Definitely this. There are no fair reason to pay risk to get food poisoning.

We need to pay cost for NO rewarding, because there is punishment for ignoring dev's intended way of playing.

Definitely this. There are no fair reason to pay risk to get food poisoning.

We need to pay cost for NO rewarding, because there is punishment for ignoring dev's intended way of playing.

No positive? I think you guys need to stick to Minecraft or something that holds your hand as you play lol. There are big benefits to eating the cooked food and more to come; you get decent buffs from them, including not having to eat for the day again, and increased stats. Do you really prefer A16, where one could have 200,000 bowls of meat stew by week 2?

*preedit to avoid confusion (again)*

I want food poisoning to be a thing. I like that cooked foods have some risk, since it is a infinite ressource. I am just saying that the way it is implemented right now is neither fun nor rewarding in any way. Just a punishment to "make it harder".

I disagree SO HARD with you on that one.

My whole base beeing destroyed by hordenight?

NOT annoying. Because I feel like I escaped death and my base was the price to pay. If I had prepared for it better, it could have been avoided.

Broken bone because I jumped out a window to save myself from 3 feral wights and me having no ammo?

NOT annoying. I saved myself and my leg was the price. And if I had planned more carefully and not walked into the final room with only 30 ammo, I would have been fine.

Benefit, expansion of gameplay and counterplay.

Benefit: Did I gain something worth the setback? Did I get a lvl 6 m60 for my 900 ammo?

Expansion of gameplay: Has something fundamentally changed the gameplay because of this setback? Like needing to either move the base or rebuild it?

Counterplay: Was it somehow preventable and could I have seen it coming? like not enough ammo or not enough defenses?

If one of these are there, if is slightly annoying.

If two are there, its mostly fine and

if three are there, I don't mind at all and am happy it happened.

But what is the counterplay to foodpoisoning? Spending loads of perkpoints (which may be wasted on certain builds) or spending loads of vitamins on it/only eating canned food. Both options are random ressources, so you can't avoid it forever.

Gameplay expansion? You need to eat more. YAY.

And what did I gain from that setback? NOTHING. I have to eat to survive. But I didnt get more food or anything from it, since it is completely deleted.

That is why it is annoying. It is just a ressourcedump with no positive.

Not true, you get health and some foods give buffs.

And I am testing Iron Gut now. One measel point and you already have almost never food poisoning. And you also need less food and water as a bonus. Very nice early game on.

@Jugginator

No, and I never needed to bring many food or go back base to eat.

I always buy meal, when I want, from vending machine using my money from selling cooked foods.

Benefit? I used to play STR/FRT build to find any of benefit, but find nothing. Bringing money to fill my stomach is simpler and fun.

My max stamina never went below -20 of cap. If you never puke, never need to over eat something like meat stew. 10 is enough, 5 works at least.

Try canned food, you won't be annoyed by puking sound weekly(or daily?).

without perks and on low level, i have only puked once in a month of playing. that is one full month of playing the game, and i have only puked once eating cooked food. Strength intellect builds, agility perception builds, and fortitude strength builds. different worlds, different plays, puked only once.

Now, are you eating for stamina cap, or eating for healing? for healing i use medical bandages or aloe cream. If you are eating more for the healing then that may explain why you get food poisoning more often.

Benefit? I used to play STR/FRT build to find any of benefit, but find nothing. Bringing money to fill my stomach is simpler and fun.

What? that build can be amazing. I maxed out shotguns, clubs, 69er and mother load. for fort i did the iron gut, heavy armor, and pain tolerance.

With a baseball bat and level 5 steel armor, i was clearing out tier 5 quests in one game day. This is on default difficulty. the baseball bat with the book perks and the iron spikes mod is amazing. Shotguns are something everyone needs to speck into because the ammo is not brass dependent.

without perks and on low level, i have only puked once in a month of playing. that is one full month of playing the game, and i have only puked once eating cooked food. Strength intellect builds, agility perception builds, and fortitude strength builds. different worlds, different plays, puked only once.

Now, are you eating for stamina cap, or eating for healing? for healing i use medical bandages or aloe cream. If you are eating more for the healing then that may explain why you get food poisoning more often.

I eat just for stamina cap. My main weapon was ranged: blunderbuss so painkiller and sometimes aloe is enough for healing.

In my playtime, 10-20 times of puking within 42 days. Of course I don't eat boiled/grilled meat often, everytime I puke my precious stews and bacon and eggs, I feel it really annoying. So, no long time is needed, before I determine to eat only yucca smoothie and canned food.

What? that build can be amazing. I maxed out shotguns, clubs, 69er and mother load. for fort i did the iron gut, heavy armor, and pain tolerance.

With a baseball bat and level 5 steel armor, i was clearing out tier 5 quests in one game day. This is on default difficulty. the baseball bat with the book perks and the iron spikes mod is amazing. Shotguns are something everyone needs to speck into because the ammo is not brass dependent.

Yep, that was amazing, I maxed out shotgun, sledge, chef and some point to 69er, mother load, and tyranno. For FRT, some points to heavy armor, pain tolerance, living off land and huntsman, but no points for iron gut at that time.

The reason I don't pay points for iron gut is, no benefit from food excepting sham chowder. Just 1pt, 10 mins, and forced to explore for sham sandwich was not fun for me. Also, I thought as "if I realize cooking is not worthy, I won't stick with cooked. I have canned food instead."

My fault was 5pt for master chef, it is only earning small money for buying canned food.

A lot of players can see the benefit of mass-producible food with high yield. Others can only see 4% of game ending doom. =P

I can't speak for everyone, but I Want to see (almost) game ending doom. Now I see 4% of "throw away three stews and save a medkit for it."

If this is "food spoilage" like Roland or someone else mentioned, then, well, it at least scales backwards, the more food you have, the less effect this spoilage has...the higher your level and more power tools you have, the less you'll hurl, so the less spoilage you have. Even without a fridge.

he meant it was the alternative to spoilage...which if implemented would just make the canned food peeps be all like "yeah canned is best, doesn't spoil rah rah rah" like they already are about the food poison issue...

The difference is that food spoilage is not random. You know at what rate the food spoils and you can plan accordingly. In addition, you can always make fresh food.

Correctly implemented food spoilage can also be an interesting game mechanic. The character learns over time how to keep food fresh for a longer period. And you create a garden where a certain amount of food is delivered at a certain time.

I find the 4% food poisoning mechanic annoying and if anything would like canned food to be the "risky" food. The mechanic isn't well made and just makes "end game" food feel not worth it. We can argue about the percentage all day it just feels bad eating it so people eat canned food.

For me personally this takes away from the experience as I used to love to sit at the fire at night cooking food and taking care of the farm. Now putting in that effort to make these great meals seems wasted when canned food is clearly or at least FEELS like the smarter and easier option.

I want a challenge but I want it to be fun and make sense, this 4% food poisoning is a really bad shot at that goal. Just so people know where I stand, I love A18 and believe this is the best the game has been so far. That said I never liked the implementation of the hunger mechanic in this game. I definitely want it in game, I just think they haven't figured out a good way of making it fun and challenging yet. This go round I find it to be the worst it's been so far.

My only issue with the vomit sickness is you go from completely full to completely empty regardless of what your "food" level was before you ate the bad food. Keep the 4% but jeez can we not go from full to empty? Maybe lose 50% of your food instead of what it does currently? I go from overfull to instantly starving and that is what I don't like about the new poisoning. The 4% I don't have a problem with and dysentery is perfect as-is.

After reading everyone's thoughts on how cooking is currently implemented in game I think they should swap things around and cooked food should be the best and most food poisoning free foods available.

The advantage right now that cooked food restores more hunger and has some benefits like more healing is true, and yet it is not enough to satisfy many gamer's sensibilities on what a good outcome you should get from spending a perk point. Food poisoning does not feel like a good outcome.

All food ingredients should have a chance of giving food poisoning. All cooked food should not. All canned food should give a chance for food poisoning. If you cook the can of food the the new cooked item should be food poisoning free. Like turning a can of chili into a chili dog. The can of chili should have the food poisoning not the cooked hotdog.

I think this will satisfy a lot of the "logic" problems people have. It will fulfill a sense of progression since you start out eating only what you find which can make you sick, then learn to cook the food to make it more edible as you grow. Learn via perk points or found recipes.

Honestly, this is so much ado about nothing, IMO.

Food poisoning isn't that bad unless it's early game and you don't have enough food to fill back up or you get food poisoning while out exploring.

There are all sorts of options when it comes to food and each have costs and benefits.

• You could stick to canned foods. The cost is that you have to find and/or buy them... and you need to eat multiple canned foods to fill up. The benefit is that you wont get poisoned.

• You could use a vitamin prior to eating cooked foods. The cost is you have to find the vitamins. The benefit is that cooked foods are renewable and more filling than canned.

• You could perk into Iron Gut. The cost is using valuable skill points. The benefit is that cooked foods are renewable and more filling than canned.

• You could just eat cooked foods. The cost is that you might get food poisoning. The benefit is that cooked foods are renewable and more filling than canned.

Personally, I think the cost/benefit of each option is pretty well balanced.

My only issue with the vomit sickness is you go from completely full to completely empty regardless of what your "food" level was before you ate the bad food. Keep the 4% but jeez can we not go from full to empty? Maybe lose 50% of your food instead of what it does currently? I go from overfull to instantly starving and that is what I don't like about the new poisoning. The 4% I don't have a problem with and dysentery is perfect as-is.

vomiting causes you to empty your stomach..in essence your "store" of food to be full empties...after vomiting you don't really have a stomach that can handle food at all, its sensitive and prone to being upset again...so the fact you can just "refill" right after it is the most unrealistic part of food poisoning in this game

vomiting causes you to empty your stomach..in essence your "store" of food to be full empties...after vomiting you don't really have a stomach that can handle food at all, its sensitive and prone to being upset again...so the fact you can just "refill" right after it is the most unrealistic part of food poisoning in this game

Well, I think it is equally unrealistic that you instantly vomit. So being that instant vomit can happen, instant fill up can too.

Perhaps people would feel better about it if you felt sick for a few minutes before vomiting, and feel sick a few minutes after vomiting.

As I read many positive comments here, I've eaten a meat stew found in crate after a long absense of cooked meal. Then I puked.

*sigh*

I won't eat them again.

Given that you found it in an unrefrigerated crate after who knows how long it was there and who knows who made it out of who knows what, I’m thinking that only having a 4% chance of vomiting was pretty generous of the devs. :)

Everyone who is against the vomiting seem incongruously quite forgiving about being able to store perishables forever in crates. That is the true fantasy going on here. But people hate spoilage in games so....

Given that you found it in an unrefrigerated crate after who knows how long it was there and who knows who made it out of who knows what, I’m thinking that only having a 4% chance of vomiting was pretty generous of the devs. :)

Everyone who is against the vomiting seem incongruously quite forgiving about being able to store perishables forever in crates. That is the true fantasy going on here. But people hate spoilage in games so....

Hi, I guess we haven't met.

I'm against the vomiting in its current form

I'm against eternal perishables, TFP just doesn't seem to add the spoilage to fix that. I'm perfectly incapable of changing that, so I've stopped whining about it. (Honestly though, I just assume it's a WIP or at least a hopefully-one-day feature)

It's odd though, I figured most the active 4%ers here were pretty much of similar mind... but hey, I didn't exist an hour ago, being wrong on day one isn't terribad I suppose... :)

Hi, I guess we haven't met.

I'm against the vomiting in its current form

I'm against eternal perishables, TFP just doesn't seem to add the spoilage to fix that. I'm perfectly incapable of changing that, so I've stopped whining about it. (Honestly though, I just assume it's a WIP or at least a hopefully-one-day feature)

It's odd though, I figured most the active 4%ers here were pretty much of similar mind... but hey, I didn't exist an hour ago, being wrong on day one isn't terribad I suppose... :)

Well....Happy Birthday!

I know you are saying sarcastic.

Actually, I don't care reality or if they add spoilage. Zombie survival is fantasy already.

I feel current unreasonable food poisoning risk can't be fixed by adding benefit to cooked food. Especially, temporal attribute boost won't fix. They need to serious overhauling for food risk/benefit concept.

Current system is just to choose spending iron gut or eating only canned food. And no reason to pick iron gut.

Problem is that iron gut requires expensive requirement of FRT, unlike other essential perks such as Lucky Looter, Miner 69er and Pack Mule.

If I mainly using PER or STR, I need to use 4 pts to halve food poisoning rate from cooked meal, and need extra 8 pts to earn immunity to it. 12 pts for just 1 perk is crazy idea in current A18 even if it's important.

They need to consider this^ at least.

Archived