Cooking has now become obsolete

General Dexter

[...]

don't get me wrong! I Feel like its more of a looter shooter now as well.

All I wanted to say is that options to turn off core features, like the horde (which is still pretty much the biggest threat in the game, one which is reoccuring, scaling and basicially the only thing you are working towards) is not something that they should actively work towards. YES some options are nice... but why would you play a survival horde game when you don't like survival, nor the horde mechanic.

The game doesnt look very pretty (well it does for voxel) it doesnt offer anything new really when you take out the survival and the horde...

The game doesnt look very pretty (well it does for voxel) it doesnt offer anything new really when you take out the survival and the horde...

I wouldn't say that. There are only a few games with a good building system and 7 Days to die is one of them.

It is also often described as a better Minecraft with zombies. So if you like the Minecraft part but don't like the zombies, just turn off the zombies.

don't get me wrong! I Feel like its more of a looter shooter now as well.

All I wanted to say is that options to turn off core features, like the horde (which is still pretty much the biggest threat in the game, one which is reoccuring, scaling and basicially the only thing you are working towards) is not something that they should actively work towards. YES some options are nice... but why would you play a survival horde game when you don't like survival, nor the horde mechanic.

well guns are always fun to play with and i kinda like the guning. but i do wish that they UP the survival parts. like food rotting , water sources being contaminated, Dangerous infections , more harsh addiction's , Radiation , More zombie Sup types etc and yes i think that special foods should give special effects

All I wanted to say is that options to turn off core features, like the horde (which is still pretty much the biggest threat in the game, one which is reoccuring, scaling and basicially the only thing you are working towards) is not something that they should actively work towards.

I didn't answer to "everything should be an option", but just that even the direction of "survival" is seen differently. So especially the option to turn off the horde is a very good option.

As i told, surviving the bloodmoon for me is not "survival". I personally think the bloodmoon is more anoying. It's overally repetetive and absolutely predictable (as long as you don't use another option like the bloodmoon variable days AND disable showing in the HUD already from the morning that it will be a bloodmoon). And i think most people are the same opinion even if they don't tell it that directly, or even don't admit it to themselfes.

Just read the forums on how much people build cheese bases or looking for other ways how they can safely ignore the bloodmoon. Why should they want to do that, if the bloodmoon is the only thing you are playing to? Obviously it is not for a lot of people.

but why would you play a survival horde game when you don't like survival, nor the horde mechanic.

Because they see survival different and like other aspects of survival.

I know the mechanics can't be applied to 7 days to die but with the survival aspect i likely compare it to rimworld. The true survival is that a wide variety of happenings occur that threaten your survival. There are also enemy attacks in rimworld, but you never know when they will happen. Even in lategame a coldwave might destroy your crops and make winter really difficult again. Colonists might get sick, especally when you most need them. But the sickness can not be instant cured by simply taking antibiotics. In 7d2d there are no real long time effects. There is nothing unpredictable.

I still play rimworld even with enemy attacks turned off. I have more than double the playtime in rimworld then in 7d2d and rimworld still makes me addicted over longer times. There always happens something unexpected. It's never completely planable. In comparison to that every 7d2d game plays like the other, the difference is minor imho (basically limited to try another skill build).

You can vomit because of food poisoning but you do it instantly. Would be much more "survival" if it happens in a random time after eating with random strength (like it is in reality. You don't take one bite and vomit immediately).

Infection is really slow and absolutely easily cured. Usually i even found honey by accident before it reaches 5%. Use the honey once, problem solved. Needs no further attention or action.

There is nothing that threats your food or water supply. There is no spoilage so you can hoard an ininite stock. There is nothing that might stop your vegetables supply (except you make a demolitioner explode in your garden). Water is infinite. There is no real weather.

For real survival there need to be exceptions you can not easily plan. Maybe e.g. acid rain? Which also makes every surface water unusable for the next 5 days (so you probably can still use water from e.g. those water towers?). A coldwave which makes you really freeze to death, even with suitable dress? So that you really need a fire nearby and can not keep up long without it? Might even destroy your crops?

THAT would be survival and the game would still be difficult without the bloodmoon.

But coming back to the options... not everybody likes it that way, other people prefer easy pease between bloodmoons and then just fight the bloodmoon. So i think those additional survival aspects should be able to turned off as an option. ;)

True in reality, but in this game provably false. In this game it's RNG hell.

I wouldn't say HELL... i puked the first time ever yesterday in a game on day 90 even with iron gut 3. I puked the second time just half a day later.

So for me it obviously was more like RNG heaven up to now.

well guns are always fun to play with and i kinda like the guning. but i do wish that they UP the survival parts. like food rotting , water sources being contaminated, Dangerous infections , more harsh addiction's , Radiation , More zombie Sup types etc and yes i think that special foods should give special effects

Gotta say, a little more of the Don't Starve feel would be appreciated, but there's what, half a dozen devs working on gameplay (rather than eye candy and other rewards, or performance or bugfixing or whatnot), tops?

When bandits hit, maybe they trash your farms. Maybe food gets balanced to where starvation is a real threat.

But for now, vitamins mean you can gobble down your two bacon-and-eggs and your last six boiled meats without worrying, which makes vitamins and cooking useful in the early game; and some farm plots or a few lucky finds will make two points in chef a godsend.

Sure, you can turn yourself into an errand boy for the traders and buy groceries at the vending machines and basically bypass the entire survival and crafting game, if you want. That doesn't make the survival and crafting parts useless, it makes them optional.

I wouldn't say HELL... i puked the first time ever yesterday in a game on day 90 even with iron gut 3. I puked the second time just half a day later.

So for me it obviously was more like RNG heaven up to now.

Lucky Bastich. I'm jealous. Can't get to first horde without either starving to death once or dying of dysentery. It's like I'm playing Oregon Trail with Zombies. ;)

The first 10 pages of this thread were a fighting match with math and then it worked itself out diplomatically and everyone became friendly. Cheers.

I am the cook in every game my friend and I play (with only the two of us). I was having trouble staying alive and finally started going out raiding with him (I am the community manager archetype, so I handle all the non combat perks and stockpiling resources, upgrading base, etc) and solved my hunger problems immediately.

Kind of don't like that. I wish animal husbandry were a thing, but I am not a loot and shoot kind of person since its only 2 of us. I can't imagine how it'd be for single player.

The first 10 pages of this thread were a fighting match with math and then it worked itself out diplomatically and everyone became friendly. Cheers.

I am the cook in every game my friend and I play (with only the two of us). I was having trouble staying alive and finally started going out raiding with him (I am the community manager archetype, so I handle all the non combat perks and stockpiling resources, upgrading base, etc) and solved my hunger problems immediately.

Kind of don't like that. I wish animal husbandry were a thing, but I am not a loot and shoot kind of person since its only 2 of us. I can't imagine how it'd be for single player.

Couldn't you have arranged that the other player has to deliver part of the food he finds to you in the beginning? Since later in the game you provide all the food that is only fair.

Also you handle the trader (I assume), shouldn't you then get the cans you can buy in the food dispenser there daily (as the other player can use scavenging and food dispensers in some POI's for his food) ? At least in A18 one dispenser already provides ~3/4th of your daily food I think (Not anymore in A19, food dispensers will have candy as well and consequently less food)

I'm not saying it is easy the first days if only half of the team is looking for food and stuff, the game isn't balanced for that. It assumes that you first have to scavenge a lot of stuff before managing it becomes a full-time occupation. Your priority should be to settle near a trader and the other player should look for one or two food dispensers in a town nearby or even another trader. Also there are the buried treasure quests that all are near the trader and might be a way for you to get food and money without seriously going into looting and shooting

This has probably been touched on, but with 387 replies I don't have the time to read through all of them.

Goldenrod Tea is still an actual thing, as it combats dysentery (food poisoning), it's just as an 'over time' effect now. Kind of like how Antibiotics are now 'over time' and not instantly fully removed.

And those with the argument about how cooked food is no longer worth it, consider this...Canned food may be a 0% chance to get food poisoning, but only restores Max Sta/Health regen at a capped rate of around 15% or less. Cooked food, from what I've gone through so far, has around 50-56% added effectiveness (for the complex recipes) for only a 4%-7% chance of food poisoning (food exposed to the atmosphere of whatever toxins are left in the 7DTD universe).

So allocating points in perks to negate FP, or taking Vitamins before eating something, are still 'valid' options...as well as just keeping a supply of GR Tea or Red Tea handy as a main hydration source.

IMO the occurence isn't anywhere near the level needed to justify all this b!tching in the first place. If it's something that is undesired, and 'you' (as in all complainers) are unwilling to deal with the system that TFP has in place while they continue to hash out details towards an intended 'End-product'...nobody is twisting your collective arms making you play the game.

Goldenrod Tea is still an actual thing, as it combats dysentery (food poisoning), it's just as an 'over time' effect now. Kind of like how Antibiotics are now 'over time' and not instantly fully removed.

Dysentery and food poisoning are two different things. Nothing "cures" food poisoning, it's an instant effect. Vitamins will prevent food poisoning as long as you take them before eating.

This has probably been touched on, but with 387 replies I don't have the time to read through all of them.

<snip>

IMO the occurence isn't anywhere near the level needed to justify all this

Why is anyone bothered about random people discussing something, anything, on the internet; especially when they aren't interested enough to read the discussion?

Is someone twisting your arm to make you read this? Blink twice if we need to send help. :)

Archived