Cooking has now become obsolete

General Dexter

If someone gives you two dollars, and I take two dollars from you, I have two dollars.

So, -1 -1 = 2. Just continuing statistical math and the fact that you stated everyone is right in this thread.

Actually you will have an unknown amount of dollars because we don't know the starting number.

That is pretty much what is happening in this thread.

People making assumptions on the situation and order of events and someone else making completely different ones which obviously makes the other result "wrong".

Cooking works well for me. It's a 1:25 chance, that you throw out what you just ate. My 24 tiles farm plot, combined with an occasional hunt and old sham sandwiches provide me with masses of stew and chowder for a minimum of effort.

(Plus coffee and yuka smoothies.)

Ummm, dude...

Im playing WOTW A16 right now, Day 15 and I need a friend :)

You know how burly those random mobs are, I can see. I'm having an AMAZE-BALLS time with WOTW but its the most gritty, stressful SP experience I've ever done. If you still do A16 WOTW or going back sounds fun, I need help :p And I even have an endgame/key places to clear to consider the run "done". Holler :D

I like a18 too much. I hope wotw gets updated. It really feels like they are almost there with the game. If they added the wandering theme hordes from wotw it would be greatly improved.

Cooking works well for me. It's a 1:25 chance, that you throw out what you just ate. My 24 tiles farm plot, combined with an occasional hunt and old sham sandwiches provide me with masses of stew and chowder for a minimum of effort.

(Plus coffee and yuka smoothies.)

Even if you have enough food, it's annoying. For example, I got food poisoning yesterday. Because I was very hungry I ate 3 fish tacos and that was one too many. I had to eat another 3 fish tacos to make up for the loss.

It also changes habits. I always had a stack of food in my inventory in A17 to top off my stamina. Now I eat cooked food only in the base and while looting I eat what I find.

Even if you have enough food, it's annoying. For example, I got food poisoning yesterday. Because I was very hungry I ate 3 fish tacos and that was one too many. I had to eat another 3 fish tacos to make up for the loss.

It also changes habits. I always had a stack of food in my inventory in A17 to top off my stamina. Now I eat cooked food only in the base and while looting I eat what I find.

I do not really mind, for me it's ok the way it is and it was ok the way it was. I never have cooked food with me (probably used to older versions smell mechanic) but always leave the base with a full stomach. Maybe i have just been lucky and threw up less than you, who maybe have been unlucky.

Exactly! It's annoying. I only eat prepared food in my base. When it happens, it doesn't hurt in any way other than to cause a delay in being able to do what you want to do. Sometimes play time can be limited and any delay, however small, is annoying not challenging. I have yet to use iron gut, and IF I use living off the land, it's only one point.

I do not really mind, for me it's ok the way it is and it was ok the way it was. I never have cooked food with me (probably used to older versions smell mechanic) but always leave the base with a full stomach. Maybe i have just been lucky and threw up less than you, who maybe have been unlucky.

That's the first time I got food poisoning. I've been lucky about that so far. But in the early game I mostly lived on canned food until I had a sufficient supply of food.

You have to develop a certain routine, then it works out but I still find it a weird decision of the developers that the players go from safe food (canned food) in the early game to unsafe food in the late game. Actually, you would expect it the other way around.

Any setback or weakness or downturn of luck or bad event or delay is going to be annoying. Are we saying that the game should eliminate all negative outcomes and all setbacks and characters should have only strengths with no weaknesses? It's annoying to have to repair a weapon so let's just make them everlasting. It's annoying to have to reload at the worst possible times and don't tell me that I should have better awareness and git gud about managing my ammo clip. No! The game should just have infinite ammo so we don't have to be annoyed. Why eat or drink at all? There is no challenge to it. It's just annoying that max stamina reduces over time. Let's get rid of hunger and thirst in the game so we don't have to be annoyed.

And because everyone's threshold about what constitutes an annoying occurrence is different, let's make sure we go far enough in this to make sure everyone is blissful and happy and never experiences anything of a negative outcome. Because that would be "punishment" and in today's world that constitutes "bad design".

Participation-Trophy.png

There should be more surprises and setbacks and delays in this type of game than we have. Like Senpai said, tornados would be cool. A tornado that rips through a side of my base hours before horde night is going to make that horde night unlike any other I ever experienced and demand tough choices out of me. It's damned annoying to have a tornado strike at that time but what an experience it could generate.

I only hope the upcoming random encounter system doesn't turn out to be milk toast and actually disrupts player plans.

Any setback or weakness or downturn of luck or bad event or delay is going to be annoying. Are we saying that the game should eliminate all negative outcomes and all setbacks and characters should have only strengths with no weaknesses? It's annoying to have to repair a weapon so let's just make them everlasting. It's annoying to have to reload at the worst possible times and don't tell me that I should have better awareness and git gud about managing my ammo clip. No! The game should just have infinite ammo so we don't have to be annoyed. Why eat or drink at all? There is no challenge to it. It's just annoying that max stamina reduces over time. Let's get rid of hunger and thirst in the game so we don't have to be annoyed.

And because everyone's threshold about what constitutes an annoying occurrence is different, let's make sure we go far enough in this to make sure everyone is blissful and happy and never experiences anything of a negative outcome. Because that would be "punishment" and in today's world that constitutes "bad design".

Participation-Trophy.png

There should be more surprises and setbacks and delays in this type of game than we have. Like Senpai said, tornados would be cool. A tornado that rips through a side of my base hours before horde night is going to make that horde night unlike any other I ever experienced and demand tough choices out of me. It's damned annoying to have a tornado strike at that time but what an experience it could generate.

I only hope the upcoming random encounter system doesn't turn out to be milk toast and actually disrupts player plans.

SLOW F****** CLAP...thanks....and I thought I was the only real masochist here

all the annoyance over a measly 4% is absolutely stupid...eat canned food if you fear 4% that much, but don't complain about the 4%...you have canned food as an alternative

isn't even a git gud moment either....its a "here, there are 2 food groups, canned which is less effective but carries no risk and a dispenser(s) that refills daily...or we have home cooked food that carries a small amount of risk and some start up materials but has higher benefits per meal"

SLOW F****** CLAP...thanks....and I thought I was the only real masochist here

all the annoyance over a measly 4% is absolutely stupid...eat canned food if you fear 4% that much, but don't complain about the 4%...you have canned food as an alternative

isn't even a git gud moment either....its a "here, there are 2 food groups, canned which is less effective but carries no risk and a dispenser(s) that refills daily...or we have home cooked food that carries a small amount of risk and some start up materials but has higher benefits per meal"

Exactly... canned food = very low benefit, no risks. Cooked food = high benefit, small risks. Balanced for the "brutally unforgiving" the game advertises. I believe canned food should ALSO have a chance at food poisoning. I swear some of you won't be happy until you can have chests full of metric tones of food that instantly fills you up with no food poisoning; the game asks you if it's okay to spawn zombies near you; every gun and weapon 1-shots any zombie; a zombie-messenger visits your base before a horde night, asking you if it's okay if zombies damage your base; and every zombie and loot container rewards you with tier-900 tools, augers, chainsaws, and 10 schematics of your choice.

Food is still too easy to get, it's easy to have 900 slabs of meat and other stuff in your chest, you really get "annoyed" by a tiny chance of throwing food up, having to eat more? That's the "brutally unforgiving" part of the game. I think there should be additional things to cause a dwindling food supply (mentioned in my weather-survival post a while back).

I like your idea to give the perk a bit more umph, however i do not believe it should have anything to do with the amt of food poisoning since there is already a talent for that.

Instead, much like the talents that reduce cost of things crafted in a forge... I think Master Chef should do any of the following:

1. Reduce the cost of ingredients in recipes

2. Give a chance to proc another portion at rank 5. This would give the talent a little bit more weight and certainly would keep some of the realism as better chefs usually do tend to waste less food when preparing a meal.

3. Rank 5 should allow for crafting electric stoves which would have no food poisoning on completed meals.

4. Non Chefs would have a chance to burn their food, while Master Chefs would never burn food from their particular ranks. So, Rank 1s would never burn Bacon and Eggs, etc etc, while people without the perk would have a small chance to do so.

Idk, there are so many things that can be done with this skill and this perk :) Can't wait to see what ppl come up with.

*preedit to avoid confusion (again)*

I want food poisoning to be a thing. I like that cooked foods have some risk, since it is a infinite ressource. I am just saying that the way it is implemented right now is neither fun nor rewarding in any way. Just a punishment to "make it harder".

Any setback or weakness or downturn of luck or bad event or delay is going to be annoying.

I disagree SO HARD with you on that one.

My whole base beeing destroyed by hordenight?

NOT annoying. Because I feel like I escaped death and my base was the price to pay. If I had prepared for it better, it could have been avoided.

Broken bone because I jumped out a window to save myself from 3 feral wights and me having no ammo?

NOT annoying. I saved myself and my leg was the price. And if I had planned more carefully and not walked into the final room with only 30 ammo, I would have been fine.

Benefit, expansion of gameplay and counterplay.

Benefit: Did I gain something worth the setback? Did I get a lvl 6 m60 for my 900 ammo?

Expansion of gameplay: Has something fundamentally changed the gameplay because of this setback? Like needing to either move the base or rebuild it?

Counterplay: Was it somehow preventable and could I have seen it coming? like not enough ammo or not enough defenses?

If one of these are there, if is slightly annoying.

If two are there, its mostly fine and

if three are there, I don't mind at all and am happy it happened.

But what is the counterplay to foodpoisoning? Spending loads of perkpoints (which may be wasted on certain builds) or spending loads of vitamins on it/only eating canned food. Both options are random ressources, so you can't avoid it forever.

Gameplay expansion? You need to eat more. YAY.

And what did I gain from that setback? NOTHING. I have to eat to survive. But I didnt get more food or anything from it, since it is completely deleted.

That is why it is annoying. It is just a ressourcedump with no positive.

It was fun to make all sorts of dishes, like stews, chili dogs, fish tacos and others, it is just strange they reversed food poisoning from canned food to fresh food, just like that, and I was not expecting it at first until Ive seen the description of the cooked food. I have gotten sick already and I really do not even remember what happens (some strange event I was not paying attention to) I just had to eat more food because of it.

I do not really care to much about food poisoning, but I will probably not put near as many points in master chef for a long time, like level 100 or something, that's all I get from it.

My whole base beeing destroyed by hordenight?

NOT annoying. Because I feel like I escaped death and my base was the price to pay. If I had prepared for it better, it could have been avoided.

Broken bone because I jumped out a window to save myself from 3 feral wights and me having no ammo?

NOT annoying. I saved myself and my leg was the price. And if I had planned more carefully and not walked into the final room with only 30 ammo, I would have been fine.

Quoting those to add a comparison:

For food poisoning; the situation it should be the worst is when? When you're already starving.. but with the current implementation, when you're already starving, it does exactly nothing. With the current one you Want to eat the poison foods since there's no risk involved... :)

Quoting those to add a comparison:

For food poisoning; the situation it should be the worst is when? When you're already starving.. but with the current implementation, when you're already starving, it does exactly nothing. With the current one you Want to eat the poison foods since there's no risk involved... :)

Yup. I often let myself get low (to like 60 stamina from my 188) to eat 2 stews instead of regularly eating, since I dont want to risk having to eat 3 stews.

It should drain currently missing stamina. So if you eat something poisonous with an empty stomach its much worse than with a full stomach. Not bc of the realism but it would actually mean that small snacks like baked potatoes are a great "on the fly" food, because you only lose like 6-10 extra stamina if you were to get it, instead of losing 150 stamina.

That is why it is annoying. It is just a ressourcedump with no positive.

I'm just going to say this once...what positive comes from real life food poisoning?

(and to all those "oh realism, whats realistic about XXXXXXX??) shush, there are many things in this game that defy logic and reason, but eating and drinking are realistic, therefore anything associated with it can be too

Yup. I often let myself get low (to like 60 stamina from my 188) to eat 2 stews instead of regularly eating, since I dont want to risk having to eat 3 stews.

It should drain currently missing stamina. So if you eat something poisonous with an empty stomach its much worse than with a full stomach. Not bc of the realism but it would actually mean that small snacks like baked potatoes are a great "on the fly" food, because you only lose like 6-10 extra stamina if you were to get it, instead of losing 150 stamina.

maybe have it delayed? (lets be honest, bad food usually hits a little after the next meal {6 hours to be exact, according to doctors, on average} so its going to ruin your day, im talking vomiting, diarrhea, nausea and even blurred vision} so maybe it says "you feel something coming on" like it did before the % disease thing was added, and a timer until you vomit appears (90% of people who get true food poisoning call out of work, even if they have slept after the brunt of the sickness happened already) so you have to have the huge tanking of food/stamina loss...its both realistic, and a detriment of unclean/bad food

add antiacids to the game, reduces effects by 15% (can stack but only to a max of 45%) even with preventive measures, food poisoning really takes it outta ya

add timer of like 5m before the "show" happens

Remember how canned food is used when they had food poisoning risk.

They was just rubbish like how cooked food is now.

Cooked food is literally to be sold for buying canned food.

If that is how you want to play, ok.

try living off of canned food after level 50.

that "12" next to the food is not a percentage, it's a number. So you will need to eat a lot of those at level 50 to get to a good level, otherwise you will be having a hard time in a tier 5 poi.

However, if you eat meat stew, two meat stews will keep you going for most of the day, and the canned food will keep you going during the day.

so cook your own breakfast, and eat a canned lunch. If you eat the cooked food at once in your base, you will not have any issues. so without the perks it's still pretty safe to eat, you just need to change your tactics.

If that is how you want to play, ok.

try living off of canned food after level 50.

that "12" next to the food is not a percentage, it's a number. So you will need to eat a lot of those at level 50 to get to a good level, otherwise you will be having a hard time in a tier 5 poi.

However, if you eat meat stew, two meat stews will keep you going for most of the day, and the canned food will keep you going during the day.

so cook your own breakfast, and eat a canned lunch. If you eat the cooked food at once in your base, you will not have any issues. so without the perks it's still pretty safe to eat, you just need to change your tactics.

My max stamina never went below -20 of cap. If you never puke, never need to over eat something like meat stew. 10 is enough, 5 works at least.

Try canned food, you won't be annoyed by puking sound weekly(or daily?).

No. Just no.

Your first bacon and eggs has a 4% chance. Your second bacon and eggs has.....a 4% chance. Your third bacon and eggs has.....a 4% chance. There is no accumulation of probability. There is more opportunity to trigger the 4% chance but each event is discrete and independent. You are committing a major fallacy by trying to add them up.

If you were guaranteed to puke 1 time in every 25 meals then the probability of puking would progress from 1/25 to 1/24 to 1/23 but that is not how it works. It is always 4% probability each and every time and you could eat 300 meals and never puke once or you could eat 10 and puke twice. This doesn't mean the probability was .3% for the first and for the other 20%. In this game you will never ever ever have a 1/5 chance to lose it all and start over again.

The formula for determining extended probability of an event happening is 1-PercentChanceToNotHappen^NumberOfEvents. To use your example of 300 meals, it would be 1-0.96^300=99.999519857762622245561239912542% that food poisoning occurred or 1 in 208,272 to not get food poisoning. Could one go 300 meals without it happening? Yep! Is it statistically likely to happen? Nope! For context, You're more likely to roll 4 20's in a row (1 in 160,000) on a single die than to go 300 meals at 4% poison chance and not get food poisoning.

So, while you are correct that each time food is consumed that it does have the same chance as it did the time before of 4% there is also the understanding that the number will eventually come up. The formula above calculates how long one can reasonably go before they see a result. This is the basis on which all games of chance are build upon and how they evaluate the payouts for when it does happen. In short, Vegas says hi.

EDIT: I read through the rest of the thread after posting and saw that someone had already beaten me to this point. Thanks to the other math nerds that were on their toes. =)

Archived