Cooking has now become obsolete

General Dexter

Not I. I just eat what I have available and deal with the results whatever they may be <snip>
That's a good way to play, heck, even live tbh. I just try to have a little control of the outcome whatever I attempt.. in this feeding case, a little caution was taught by "filling up for the horde night" by eating a good ol' steak. The second time I hurled at 21:00 on a 7*N, I started making sure I have plenty of that delicious meat available... is there a better way to start a horde night than eating two BBQ boars :)

Hahaha have my reputation. Well it seems I gave oyu one recently, so I have to do it by comment :D

Short summary: I was right, everyone just didnt understand for whatever reason what I was saying.

:p

You were speaking in present tense which is what threw me off. Instead of talking about the probability of what could happen in the future you were saying "the probability is now raised to..." and that made me think you were increasing the chances as you ate meal by meal.

But......................................you..................................

were....................................

r..........................i...........................g.............................h..............................t

/ouch

You were speaking in present tense which is what threw me off. Instead of talking about the probability of what could happen in the future you were saying "the probability is now raised to..." and that made me think you were increasing the chances as you ate meal by meal.

r..........................i...........................g.............................h..............................t

/ouch

>_>

<_<

o_o

RICK!!! GET THE PORTAL GUN!!! THIS ISN'T OUR UNIVERSE!!!

:p

No but I understand where you were coming from. But this is just happening way to often to me where I argue something and someone else is just going somewhere completely different from where I was going because of their interpretation of what I said. That is why I get so pissy and annoyed.

Take Hek Harris' comment for example.

Ok, let's try this : let's say you have 1% chance to have an accident when you go to work. According to you, if you go 100 times to work, you have 100% chance to have an accident. Am I right ?

Even when he misunderstood what I was trying to say, his math was still completely wrong and other were chiming in to make fun of my maths...

Misunderstandings can happen... and I know it isn't always easy, but trying to understand the others position does help ^^

I said it on page 4

What is the chance of getting food poisoning on the first thing you eat? 4%. 2nd? 4%. 3rd? 4%.

I never said anything else.

Honestly... read it again. I never said anything that foodpoisoning chance increases per food consumed, but that the overall chance that you will get food poisoning once is increasing.

but ppl kept coming and telling me I was wrong :D

and this is something I had on this forum over and over... I give you an example and you(the forum not you specificially) nitpick the example that I just thought of, instead of trying to understand what I wanted to express. You don't have to agree with me. Just... try and understand instead of trying to win :D

I know it sounds condescending... but it's honestly not meant like that and just an honest plea!

ALSO... since oyu came out admitting it so openly:

I've been reading it back and I should have been more clear with my terms. Not sure how but the way I wrote it made it easy to confuse the two.

I've been reading it back and I should have been more clear with my terms.

HA!....Wrong (what you wrote was perfectly clear).

Finally I can stop buttressing your point and call attention to your foibles!

Morty, this is probably as close close to C-137 as we're going to get.

-Morloc

I don't mind how it is now, but I can suggest improvements...

• Fixing a food item, where one of the ingredients is canned food, should not have a chance of poisoning you
  • There should be recipes for canning food (e.g. 5 meat + 1 can = canned veal) - some mods have this already

If I were to suggest a change in mechanics, it would be this.

Instead of a raw % chance of throwing up when consuming food, have it increase the chance of constantly being sick, but have it decrease on a timer.

So, you eat two things with a 5% chance, it's cumulative to 10%, and you can get sick not just at eating but at certain intervals (like, once every 15 in-game minutes). But also it goes back down 1% every 15 in-game minutes, so even if you're 100% sick at the beginning of the day, you're fine by day's end (in game) if you eat properly.

EDIT: If you want extra "realism," maybe the next time you throw up, it removes the % chance of the last thing you ate. So if the last thing you ate gave you a 10% chance of getting sick, throwing up removes 10% (in addition to losing half the contents of your stomach).

EDIT 2: I'm also one of those guys who think there should be a visual component to throwing up. Maybe not have some animated stream of vomit, but blurry vision and a wobbly POV, similar to the "drunk" effect now.

(And speaking of the drunk effect, I think it should also increase the chance of throwing up.)

Cooking is simply a work in progress. The current state is not the intended final version. The plan is to create a multitude of recipes beyond what we already have that involve the use of the canned foods as at least one of the components in the recipe. Cooked dishes will have special buffs and benefits that last for a period of time when you eat them which will make the risk of food poisoning worth it in order to be able to use those foods.

We just aren't there yet. Once TFP is done cooked dishes will be a lot more desirable and the incentive to eat more than just basic canned goods will be back. People will be wanting to save their canned goods to use in recipes rather than wasting them by eating them.

That's just wrong planning then. If it's a work in progress you don't add it on every cookable food. You add it on specific foods to test the waters or at the very least have a much smaller negative effect than the one it has now. The effects are too severe and too random.

For instance I was in the middle of a tier V quest and I have some nice sandwich. I eat it , I get poisoned and I am now with only 35 points of stamina to fight off irradiated zombies.

Now the obvious answer to that would be "GIT GUD" but I already am so I proceeded to eat a vitamin and ate some sandwiches and some fat to get all that food back. But it's too luckluster effect and the perk requires too many levels to make poisoning a non issue.

But vitamins that make you eat rotten meat and spoiled food with no side effects...I don't think the devs know how vitamins work...

/ouch

*clap*.

We all make mistakes (or perhaps misunderstanding?) and it takes big 'uns (not the ones Al Bundy talks about) to admit it in such a fashion after a lengthy discussion. Kudos.

All this talk about probability brought back bad memories of my 'Probability and Statistics' course in university. Failed it the 1st time, retook the course and got a B+ the second time. What Viktoriusiii was describing sounded familiar but I couldn't remember all the details or the exact terminology for it.

I'm glad the food system is not complete yet and they have plans for buffs for the meals. On a related topic (kind of) I think vending machines should not reset every day. Seems too OP and unrealistic. They should have the same (reset) timer as the traders or the same settings as the air drop (the default 3 days or whatever the player chooses). You see supplies dropped by parachute and 3 days is reasonable for traders to reset. Yet somehow magically all vending machines are refilled daily...

Theoretically I really like this game mechanic because it adds a risk/reward to doing stuff with lower max stamina. The lower you keep your stamina, the less food risked each vomit, therefore giving a a net gain on the food needed for sustenance. (I say theoretically because I have yet to play A18.)

This food poisoning calculator might be useful for understanding the mathematics of food posioning.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?135251-I-made-a-food-poisioning-calculator

Now the obvious answer to that would be "GIT GUD"

Not really.... the obvious answer, IMO, is don't eat food that can poison you "in the field". I eat cooked food at the beginning of the day and bring canned food in case I need to top off my hunger while out exploring .

That's just wrong planning then. If it's a work in progress you don't add it on every cookable food. You add it on specific foods to test the waters or at the very least have a much smaller negative effect than the one it has now. The effects are too severe and too random.

For instance I was in the middle of a tier V quest and I have some nice sandwich. I eat it , I get poisoned and I am now with only 35 points of stamina to fight off irradiated zombies.

Now the obvious answer to that would be "GIT GUD" but I already am so I proceeded to eat a vitamin and ate some sandwiches and some fat to get all that food back. But it's too luckluster effect and the perk requires too many levels to make poisoning a non issue.

But vitamins that make you eat rotten meat and spoiled food with no side effects...I don't think the devs know how vitamins work...

This definitely is not a GIT GUD situation. It is a don’t play until the game is completely done if you can’t handle the ups and downs of the indev status situation.

Plus...the only sandwich in the game I’m aware of is....not a nice sandwich.

Plus...the only sandwich in the game I’m aware of is....not a nice sandwich.

270?cb=20081027012207

The Broodwich is a sandwich from Hell which was "forged in darkness from wheat harvested in Hell's half-acre, baked by Beelzebub, slathered with mayonnaise from the evil eggs of a powerful dark chicken, beaten into sauce by the hands of a one-eyed madman, [with] cheese boiled from the rancid teat of a three-headed fanged cow [and] layered with 666 separate meats from an animal which has maggots for blood."

It also has lettuce and Dijon mustard.

-Morloc

270?cb=20081027012207

The Broodwich is a sandwich from Hell which was "forged in darkness from wheat harvested in Hell's half-acre, baked by Beelzebub, slathered with mayonnaise from the evil eggs of a powerful dark chicken, beaten into sauce by the hands of a one-eyed madman, [with] cheese boiled from the rancid teat of a three-headed fanged cow [and] layered with 666 separate meats from an animal which has maggots for blood."

It also has lettuce and Dijon mustard.

-Morloc

and yet...still tastes better than sham sammich

Each instance of the 4% chance should be independent of previous and future chances, take it from a 8th grade dropout and lucky GED owner.

Each die roll on a specific meal is separate from every other die roll on meals from that point on. There is no cumulative calculations that increase the chances of food poisoning from your future meals, its per meal. The chances of this happening more after 1000 meals really does not mater as each die roll is independent in only that individual instance. The argument of 1000 meals being a higher percentage to get food poisoning because of the law of averages, is based on random luck, statistics are not really needed.

This does not need statistical mathematics, just some one who has used a 20 sided die to roll for a THAC0 check.

You could experiment and check the statistics in many sittings in game with 100 boiled eggs and take notes as to whether you got food poisoning in one sitting after 100 boiled eggs and keep experimenting each and every time for 10 different game starts with the same 100 boiled eggs, but that really is pointless.

I doubt the statistics would effect the purpose of the post. It was meant to explaining how the food poisoning for cooked food Is making some people - like me - a bit bewildered in the direction the devs are going in preparing food, in which the prepared food used to be way more beneficial than can of tuna, 50 hunger points for a meat stew compared to 5-10 hunger points for a can of tuna (it still is benifial but the devs added food poisoning), making the master chef skill much less desirable, and special recipes not as fun to get if you can receive food poisoning from that same chili dog in A17 that was food poisoning free.

Besides I made it to per-algebra in 6th grade and missed high school all together, so I cannot really follow some of your mathematical formulas brought up here. I strive for a PHD in Mathematics, Psychics, Computer Science and Masters in Electronic and Mechanical engineering and architecture, but its not really in that cards i guess.

You’re right. But so are they. Everyone is right in this thread. It’s a statistical improbability for everyone to be right but there you have it.

If someone gives you two dollars, and I take two dollars from you, I have two dollars.

So, -1 -1 = 2. Just continuing statistical math and the fact that you stated everyone is right in this thread.

I have experienced it. It was on Day 2 and it completely disrupted and changed my first week routine. It was a tough challenge to overcome but I did it. I still eat charred meat all the time in the early game and clench my stomach every time I click eat and then feel a relief that I didn’t puke.

I wish there were more random events beyond the player’s control that would cause us setbacks and disruptions to the normal routine. Bad stuff should happen rarely that the player can’t prevent or plan for and can only react to.

The design is not the problem. The problem is that while some players see such things as challenges and emergent objectives, other players see them as a reason to feel anxiety until they happen and then a reason to put the game down if they ever do happen.

I was stressed and worried after it happened but Ingot through it and now I’m my memory it is one of the great stories of early game survival that I have.

One time on war of the walkers mod, right before a horde night on my cabin by a lake, a football team random horde showed up and destroyed all my horde base defense. When horde night hit, and could not fight them all, and spent the entire night swimming and cold in the lake next to my base. That was a good time. Sadly hardly any events like that happen during the vanilla game, i have to mod the game to get stuff like this.

I really wish they would add dynamic harsh weather to the game, like tornadoes and lightning storms, as well as thunder storms that cause the zombies to go into destroy everything rage mode every time loud thunder happens. Tornadoes would be rare but would be an entity that did block damage and left a trail of debris as it moved across the map. They would dissipate 50 meters inside a desert or ice biome.

That would be something else: a tornado hits the day before horde night and your horde base is now gone. What do you do? What Poi is left standing in a condition to fortify? Do you even make a base, or do you just drive around the map until it is over? Granted it would probably be hell to run on a server or record the game though....

Any way, the thing is, the food poisoning mechanic is not that terrible. It's disruptive, but it is not fatal if you know what you are doing. Without the perks you eat canned food until you have enough vitamins, then the vitamins last all day or at least until you need to eat again. with the perk at level 4 there are no more worries. It's not a terrible investment because you also get access to heavy armor and machine gun perks in that same tree.

Now, maybe the real problem is not the food poisoning, but the recipes. Should cooked super corn give food poisoning? Should mushrooms be contaminated even though they live under ground? Wouldn't the grain alcohol in a lot of those recipes make them safe to eat? The vegetable recipes need to have it dialed back a bit, either that or make vitamins craftable. Perhaps add a benefit to beer where it prevents food poisoning but not nearly for as long as vitamins.

And while we are on the subject, food poisoning needs to be BUFFED. It should not be instant. You should get a perk called "just ate", and after that it should kick in. Give the players time to get out and about, and into a fight or trouble so that way when the are down you can kick them in the balls and beat them up with their own football helmet when they are down.

One time on war of the walkers mod, right before a horde night on my cabin by a lake, a football team random horde showed up and destroyed all my horde base defense. When horde night hit, and could not fight them all, and spent the entire night swimming and cold in the lake next to my base. That was a good time. Sadly hardly any events like that happen during the vanilla game, i have to mod the game to get stuff like this.

I really wish they would add dynamic harsh weather to the game, like tornadoes and lightning storms, as well as thunder storms that cause the zombies to go into destroy everything rage mode every time loud thunder happens. Tornadoes would be rare but would be an entity that did block damage and left a trail of debris as it moved across the map. They would dissipate 50 meters inside a desert or ice biome.

That would be something else: a tornado hits the day before horde night and your horde base is now gone. What do you do? What Poi is left standing in a condition to fortify? Do you even make a base, or do you just drive around the map until it is over? Granted it would probably be hell to run on a server or record the game though....

Any way, the thing is, the food poisoning mechanic is not that terrible. It's disruptive, but it is not fatal if you know what you are doing. Without the perks you eat canned food until you have enough vitamins, then the vitamins last all day or at least until you need to eat again. with the perk at level 4 there are no more worries. It's not a terrible investment because you also get access to heavy armor and machine gun perks in that same tree.

Now, maybe the real problem is not the food poisoning, but the recipes. Should cooked super corn give food poisoning? Should mushrooms be contaminated even though they live under ground? Wouldn't the grain alcohol in a lot of those recipes make them safe to eat? The vegetable recipes need to have it dialed back a bit, either that or make vitamins craftable. Perhaps add a benefit to beer where it prevents food poisoning but not nearly for as long as vitamins.

And while we are on the subject, food poisoning needs to be BUFFED. It should not be instant. You should get a perk called "just ate", and after that it should kick in. Give the players time to get out and about, and into a fight or trouble so that way when the are down you can kick them in the balls and beat them up with their own football helmet when they are down.

Ummm, dude...

Im playing WOTW A16 right now, Day 15 and I need a friend :)

You know how burly those random mobs are, I can see. I'm having an AMAZE-BALLS time with WOTW but its the most gritty, stressful SP experience I've ever done. If you still do A16 WOTW or going back sounds fun, I need help :p And I even have an endgame/key places to clear to consider the run "done". Holler :D

Play a18.2 b2 on experimental, they drastically upped how much rotten meat you get off things like zombie dogs/bears, in my current game its day 25 and I have about 4 stacks of rotten meat sitting in storage. Its not that hard to get, people are just lazy is all. Currently though I agree in a18 cooking in its current form is mostly pointless, I never get the perk, I rely on schematics, I don't bother with iron gut either, no need.

Yep. It's largely pointless.

Another reason on the long list that Alpha 16 was the best version it only needed an extra coat of paint.

I think there's clearly advantages to forever remaining in Alpha that some of us just aren't aware of.

Archived