Alpha 18 feedback and balancing thread

Hated

There are two players. These players only have 1 inventory slot. One collects only jars, the other collects weapons and items worth a lot of money. Who will succeed?

reserving 1 slot for empty jars, I lose a lot of money. Because on this slot I could carry a weapon that the seller would buy for 500 chips. for 500 chips, I will buy water and bullets and duct tape.

playing like me on insane difficulty with 25% loot 25%exp. Tell me how you collect jars.

the sand is under my feet, I’ll spend 5 minutes and put to craft 1000 jars . I will not return to the issue with jars. Or I will be throughout the game (average i play 100days) 100 days * 90 minutes collect jars and reserve slot, Compare 5 minutes - 9000 minutes. Jar collectors, good luck.

There are two players. These players only have 1 inventory slot. One collects only jars, the other collects weapons and items worth a lot of money. Who will succeed?

reserving 1 slot for empty jars, I lose a lot of money. Because on this slot I could carry a weapon that the seller would buy for 500 chips. for 500 chips, I will buy water and bullets and duct tape.

playing like me on insane difficulty with 25% loot 25%exp. Tell me how you collect jars.

the sand is under my feet, I’ll spend 5 minutes and put to craft 1000 jars . I will not return to the issue with jars. Or I will be throughout the game (average i play 100days) 100 days * 90 minutes collect jars and reserve slot, Compare 5 minutes - 9000 minutes. Jar collectors, good luck.

False premise. We don't have just 1 slot.

If you guys want to waste your sand and clay and wood to smelt jars that is fine. I hoard mine because its a waste to toss them out and then waste resources making them lol. Even if I'm the only guy on the planet saving his jars we're not taking jars out. We have better things to focus on.

But what's the point of this thread in the forum? to hear that you have more important things? lol

6,000 sand and 500 clay, I mine in a maximum in 3 minutes. jar cost (12sand+1clay). I always have sand and clay in the forge. 1 jar is made - 2.5 seconds. 6 forges work. (500 jars * 2.5 sec) / 6 forges = 3.5 min.

6000 sand = 3min * 0 reserved slot = 500jar

or

~+-30 days * 60min = 1800min*1 reserved slot = 500jar

Hi MM let's collect jars of 7 days a week ahahaha

ps

on the contrary, I do not want to spend (resources) for collecting jars. Time is a resource. (even in the game this is the main resource). picking up jars this wasted time (resource).

Do not look at things superficially. . The cost of gasoline that you paid for a 100km journey. This is not a trip cost. We must also take into account depreciation of cars, oil, gas, taxes, parking costs, then we only divide the cost into kilometers.

I don’t throw out jars because they exist, and they are in this box.

In this case, collect feathers 100 days in a row. because I don’t want to waste time making ammo.

You toss things, it means you lose. Iron logic.

But what's the point of this thread in the forum? to hear that you have more important things? lol

Probably to hear whatever the hell he wants to share with us about his priorities concerning the game. You think just because we deliver some feedback he is bound to do what we suggest and if he doesn't agree and let's us know where he stands on it that the point of the thread has been violated?

Make your case and share your perspective but don't tell a developer you don't want to hear about his development priorities in an official development thread. Because that is exactly what the point of the thread is and I for one would like for him to post what those more important things are rather than get into a debate about jars with people who won't take his final answer as a final answer.

Sounds about right to me honestly. I wish the good stuff was spaced out more.

He said earlier that they will be continuing to look at loot. They want it to be at about 80% of what it is now as far as quantity and they really do want higher qualities to be much more rare. I think we will see what you (and I) want in a future update.

Probably to hear whatever the hell he wants to share with us about his priorities concerning the game. You think just because we deliver some feedback he is bound to do what we suggest and if he doesn't agree and let's us know where he stands on it that the point of the thread has been violated?

Make your case and share your perspective but don't tell a developer you don't want to hear about his development priorities in an official development thread. Because that is exactly what the point of the thread is and I for one would like for him to post what those more important things are rather than get into a debate about jars with people who won't take his final answer as a final answer.

Well this is the feedback thread so. Dev thread is the place where people expect to hear about what things he is working on.

I would think the feedback thread is for feedback. If for some reason feedback is being discouraged in a feedback thread well then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well this is the feedback thread so. Dev thread is the place where people expect to hear about what things he is working on.

I would think the feedback thread is for feedback. If for some reason feedback is being discouraged in a feedback thread well then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm glad to educate you then. This thread is to give feedback and to hear the developer's reaction and thoughts to that feedback. Just page back through the thread and you'll see that lots of feedback has been given and lots of developer responses have been given. So this thread is definitely a two way communication thread and most people appreciate a response to know that their feedback was read by a developer.

Nobody has discouraged anyone from giving feedback. Madmole didn't say to not give feedback. He gave his decision on this one issue so that people would know TFP's stance on it. Saying, "We aren't changing jars" doesn't translate to "Stop sharing your feedback on this thread". It translates to "We aren't changing jars" which means the discerning reader knows that they can start sharing other feedback that they might have. I didn't say to not give feedback. I said, "Make your case and share your perspective" which translates to "Please continue to give feedback in this feedback thread"

What I said NOT to do was to tell a developer not to share his priorities or to explain where a particular issue such as jars falls within their totem pole of development goals. I really thought all of this was crystal clear in my first post but hopefully it is now and if you are still confused well then ¯\_(ツ)_/.

EDIT: This is the last word on this. This thread is not for debating and having #gates for pages and pages like happens in the dev diary. I'm talking as a moderator now: Please continue to give your feedback and game balancing perspectives. They are very much appreciated. Let's move on from this. I'm sorry if I came across as harsh but I see some beginnings of what often happens on the dev diary and I don't want other people's feedback about nonjar issues to be lost in a sea of over reaction and debate with Madmole about jars or someone's hurt feelings because he didn't agree with their assessment. So far this thread has been great and lets just keep it going as it has and move on from jars now. Please feel free to open up a #jargate thread in general discussions. If you feel you must respond to this then please PM me and share your concern.

Madmole, I think the loot bag drop probability is bugged. In the gamestage.xml file it suggests that a loot level of <loot level="973,999999" prob="1"/>

has a probability of 1.

Does that mean a gamestage 973 should give me a loot bag every zombie kill? Because it does not. It's still very low (around 2% as the entityclasses.xml suggests)

He said earlier that they will be continuing to look at loot. They want it to be at about 80% of what it is now as far as quantity and they really do want higher qualities to be much more rare. I think we will see what you (and I) want in a future update.

This is good, because by day 14 or so even with no lucky looter I find way to many t4-6 items in things. T1-3 should be common but 4 should be rare, 5 very rare, and 6 extremly rare where you need stupidly high GS to even have a slight chance to get it. Mind you I get a lot of my t5-6 items off trader quests. No int in my games, so its a real rngfest if I get something I want, if I don't though I know I got something I can sell for a pretty set of dukes.

Hey guys, give MM a break. Just because his opinion on jars is different, it's not the end of the world. I appreciate him acknowledging my preference (#JarTosser lol) and giving insight on his preference. I respect his stance on the matter whether he agrees or not with how I see it. In the grand scheme of things it's a minor thing that can easily be modded if it bothered me enough (which it doesnt btw). TGIF, I will probably get to play tonight. 😎👍

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, using steel knuckles with serrated blade mod and fire shaft mod, its amazing. Though, obvs because I'm on a harder server, it does take a about 3 - 6 hits with normal attack on a regular/feral and a 3 - 9 hits on a less tanky radiated zombie again with normal attacks. Still, though its nice getting those hits in, makes me like god.

I don't know how everyone else feel about this, but could we get back the old lockpick system ? I would rather lose all 10 my lockpicks right off the bat, and know , alright I need to invest a skill point in to this. This new system of getting to 99%, then breaking 20 lockpicks on the last % is highly trolling me.... :/

I don't know how everyone else feel about this, but could we get back the old lockpick system ? I would rather lose all 10 my lockpicks right off the bat, and know , alright I need to invest a skill point in to this. This new system of getting to 99%, then breaking 20 lockpicks on the last % is highly trolling me.... :/

Yea I hear ya. Be nice if it could be a random time throughout the picking timer, not always at one spot.

Btw, can we get a Shift + S to scrap all when looting? Too many times I see cans and something else in loot that I want to scrap it all, be nice to just hit Shift + S insted of click, s, click, s

Madmole, I think the loot bag drop probability is bugged. In the gamestage.xml file it suggests that a loot level of <loot level="973,999999" prob="1"/>

has a probability of 1.

Does that mean a gamestage 973 should give me a loot bag every zombie kill? Because it does not. It's still very low (around 2% as the entityclasses.xml suggests)

Every assumption here is wrong and the file you named does not even contain that piece of XML.

I suggest you ask in the modding forum if you want to learn about how the game works internally.

Except you will not fill your whole inventory with weapons in single day of looting. Also you have vehicles to store stuff. You cannot look at stuff isolated. I personally collect bottles, because they are quite abundant and I dont have to bother with traveling to desert, gathering sand and cloging my forge. I can spend the time looting as it is more fun than shoveling f*cking sand.

I just read the 18.2 notes, and I absolutely beg you to not increase the chance of lockpicks breaking. That mechanic is absolutely infuriating in how it works right now, and increasing the chance of those things breaking even more means there's really no reason to even have them. When they break 9 times before they open the safe, they aren't saving me any time over the pickaxe, and it's always at the last second that they break. Also, since we have no direct control on how they're used, and it's just a toss of the dice, it just gets tedious.

I AM grateful lockpicks are in the game. I just think that they need a rebalance in the direction opposite of where you're going.

I know somebody has said "this isn't a sim", but it seems to me that the most vocal of your supporters WANT 7d2d to be a sim, and I'm one of them. I understand streamlining things like Iron/Iron Ore, but to say that having to enter a town carefully because it's flooded with zombies is "boring" is ridiculous to me. What's boring is having every Tier V quest being at the same 3 POIs. I've even used a modlet to double the zombie spawns and it still doesn't feel like it's enough. Until ferals and irradiated zeds start popping up, I'm just not seeing a threat. And I'm not powergaming, or powerleveling, I'm going at a moderate pace. Not rushing to get certain items... In fact I waited until level 30 or so to even take weapon skills, since I didn't know what I'd be using since I have to wait until I roll a lucky weapon to make it worth it.

My biggest gripes with a18 are repetitive missions (I know there's not a lot you can do about that honestly), and the lack of zombies. I really hope this new random encounter system fixes at least one of those problems.

Most of the more simulation type stuff can be done with mods so I won't bitch too much about it, but the core missions get old real quick, and once you hit Tier V missions and get all your shiny Tier 6 gear, there really isn't much to do outside of pet projects. And the threat is still weak. Granted at about level 45, I actually have to be concerned about running out of ammo in a POI, but other than that, I can wander freely making all the noise I want and not having a care in the world.

I do agree that t5 missions get old pretty quick. It would be nice if you could actually rotate all 6 PoIs, no matter how far they are. (2factories, crack a book skycraper, dishong tower, appartments and hospital). This playthrough I challenge myself to not do quests, as it tethers you to small part of HUGE map.

- - - Updated - - -

I just read the 18.2 notes, and I absolutely beg you to not increase the chance of lockpicks breaking. That mechanic is absolutely infuriating in how it works right now, and increasing the chance of those things breaking even more means there's really no reason to even have them. When they break 9 times before they open the safe, they aren't saving me any time over the pickaxe, and it's always at the last second that they break. Also, since we have no direct control on how they're used, and it's just a toss of the dice, it just gets tedious.

I AM grateful lockpicks are in the game. I just think that they need a rebalance in the direction opposite of where you're going.

Its probably done to increase the value of lockpick perks. Also they made it that they dont break only at the last second.

Archived