Alpha 18 feedback and balancing thread

Hated

Day 40 and I just crafted my 1st blue junk turret. My previous one was green so it felt good. Upgraded with rad remover, crippler mod and extender clip. Ready to rock and roll for the Day 42 horde. πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Β 

As a side note, of all the weapon crafts, the junk turret will be by far the most beneficial as you can have multiple setup and thus crafting more blue quality turrets will be desirsble.

Could we get a radial menu like the ammo select or some sort of dedicated key to disable harvesting on melee weapons? Because when your sledge decides that you hit the block 3m behind the zombie then slows you because the item harvested went into over flow can be lethal if not annoying.

My issue with books.

Β 

Issue: 1. using books I've already read, would much rather sell um than use them for the short amount of xp.

2. Buying the same book I've already learned from the trader by accident.

Β 

Solution: It would be nice to have some way of knowing if a book has already been learned. Maybe have a small icon overlay on a book already read. This way when out looting I know ok here is a book I already read better keep that. When shopping at the trader I'll know ok no need to buy that book because I've already learned it.

Β 

P.S yeah I know where to look to see if I've read a book, having to accesss that every single time and scrolling through is a pain so just not worth doing.

Β 

Pictured examples:

as is now

Β 

1n.png2n.png

Β 

Β 

darkened overlay for books already read

Β 

1.png2.png

Β 

dude. This little icon was created to let you know, you know it or not. if the book in the icon is closed, then you have not read it. If open - readed. Check it in creative mode.

My issue with books.

Β 

Issue: 1. using books I've already read, would much rather sell um than use them for the short amount of xp.

2. Buying the same book I've already learned from the trader by accident.

Β 

Solution: It would be nice to have some way of knowing if a book has already been learned. Maybe have a small icon overlay on a book already read. This way when out looting I know ok here is a book I already read better keep that. When shopping at the trader I'll know ok no need to buy that book because I've already learned it.

Β 

@TFP: That some people continue to miss the difference between the open and closed book might be a hint that that difference is too subtle. How about a color code, just color the outline of the open book green and you'll never read posts like this again :cocksure:

Increased LockPickBreakChance by 10%

Β 

Oh well...more scrap metal it is then. Back to conventional way. It's simply not worth the skill points. If you want to force people to use it, make it that you lose/break loot if you bash open the chest/crate/whatever .

@TFP: That some people continue to miss the difference between the open and closed book might be a hint that that difference is too subtle. How about a color code, just color the outline of the open book green and you'll never read posts like this again :cocksure:

Β 

wait what...!

brb jumping in game to check this out......man I'm about to feel real stupid lol..

Β 

Edit: holy shiiiatz how in the world did i miss this....LMFAO all this time...so many wasted books and dukes.

*kicks self in the ass*

Β 

Thank you for pointing this out. :)

Β 

Β 

giphy.gif

Β 

I see they've added a max level cap...and a farm plot reduction and more rotten meat. Perhaps there is still hope for A18.

I still think clubs,spears and bows should get a buff though. I find them too lacking compared to the sledge hammer or basic firearms. And the weapon swings are very inaccurate .

Β 

Every assumption here is wrong and the file you named does not even contain that piece of XML.

Β 

I suggest you ask in the modding forum if you want to learn about how the game works internally.

Β 

I'll check that again (because I'm currently downloading the new exp).

This new system of getting to 99%, then breaking 20 lockpicks on the last % is highly trolling me.... :/

Β 

I do agree with this. Why do I pick down to 2%, but when I start again it starts at 30% That doesn't make much sense. If I pick down to 2%, shouldn't it start on the second one at that same 2%?

Perk balancing suggestion:

A lot of perks, like Infiltrator, Animal Tracking, Lockpicking, etc. are really underpowered and take way too many valuable perk points to get anywhere useful. My suggestion is to compress the perks into only 3/4 ranks rather than the default 5, and to add better unique rewards, comparable or equal to a magazine or rare item (the fact that certain magazines like the mine immunity one almost COMPLETELY obviate an entire 5 point perk tree is absurd).

For example:

Β 

Animal Tracking 1: all small animals (rabbits, chickens, snakes, etc.)

Animal Tracking 2: all large animals (boars, deer, etc.), 25m range boost

Animal Tracking 3: all predators (wolves, dingos, bears, etc.), 50m range boost

Β 

Infiltrator 1: 1s extra floor time, 25% mine and spike damage reduction

Infiltrator 2: 1.5s extra floor time, 50% mine and spike damage reduction, not slowed by traps

Infiltrator 3: 2s extra floor time, mine immunity/pickup and 75% spike damage reduction

Β 

Lockpicking 1: craft lockpicks, 15% better lockpick chance and speed

Lockpicking 2: 30% better lockpick chance and speed

Lockpicking 3: 50% better lockpick chance and speed, chance to not break a lockpick when you fail

Β 

Cardio 1: 15% better stamina usage

Cardio 2: 30% better stamina usage, 5% run speed boost

Cardio 3: 50% better stamina usage, 10% run speed boost

Β 

These are just ideas off the top of my head, but I feel like compressing certain 'minor', underpowered perk trees would have people actually pick them, cause they're REALLY lame right now. Why get the teensiest boost to some really minor skill when you could get tons of weapon boosts or an important tech tree unlock? This might be easier than entirely scrapping/replacing admittedly cool, unique trees that just need some love rather than replacement.

Probably an oversight, I didn't know you could craft those.

Yes. I have more balancing stuff to say:

Β 

Burning barrels are indeed useless as an ingredient, as you said before. The ingredient that makes sense in its place for the Chemistry Station recipe is gas can. Abstract concept.

Β 

Insulator (ingredient for electrical parts) is a sharp stick. Electrical parts are electrical parts and shall also represent an electrician-used object like the insulator. I suggest to delete it from the game to make space for cool stuff.

Perk balancing suggestion:

A lot of perks, like Infiltrator, Animal Tracking, Lockpicking, etc. are really underpowered and take way too many valuable perk points to get anywhere useful. My suggestion is to compress the perks into only 3/4 ranks rather than the default 5, and to add better unique rewards, comparable or equal to a magazine or rare item (the fact that certain magazines like the mine immunity one almost COMPLETELY obviate an entire 5 point perk tree is absurd).

For example:

Β 

Animal Tracking 1: all small animals (rabbits, chickens, snakes, etc.)

Animal Tracking 2: all large animals (boars, deer, etc.), 25m range boost

Animal Tracking 3: all predators (wolves, dingos, bears, etc.), 50m range boost

Β 

Infiltrator 1: 1s extra floor time, 25% mine and spike damage reduction

Infiltrator 2: 1.5s extra floor time, 50% mine and spike damage reduction, not slowed by traps

Infiltrator 3: 2s extra floor time, mine immunity/pickup and 75% spike damage reduction

Β 

Lockpicking 1: craft lockpicks, 15% better lockpick chance and speed

Lockpicking 2: 30% better lockpick chance and speed

Lockpicking 3: 50% better lockpick chance and speed, chance to not break a lockpick when you fail

Β 

Cardio 1: 15% better stamina usage

Cardio 2: 30% better stamina usage, 5% run speed boost

Cardio 3: 50% better stamina usage, 10% run speed boost

Β 

These are just ideas off the top of my head, but I feel like compressing certain 'minor', underpowered perk trees would have people actually pick them, cause they're REALLY lame right now. Why get the teensiest boost to some really minor skill when you could get tons of weapon boosts or an important tech tree unlock? This might be easier than entirely scrapping/replacing admittedly cool, unique trees that just need some love rather than replacement.

Β 

I like the concept here, as I completely agree with the reasoning. If you take the value of the perk points needed to complete your chosen build's effectiveness with it's weapon and armour of choice, then those perks don't feature. You can add to that Living of the land, charismatic, etc. and several others mentioned. Basically everything not directly influencing your chosen build's perks. There simply is not enough to go around spending on these things, that offer so little return in comparison.

Β 

If I do spend outside my build, I spend on Lucky Looter, Salvaging, Barter... Nothing left after that.

When you open a safe successfully, it says in the lower right corner -1 lockpicks. Conclusion lockpick has broken. This makes no sense. When safe was opened it's obvious that the lockpick has not broken. So why taking players a lockpick for opening a safe? This need to be fixed.

Β 

Best regards :cocksure:

Yes. I have more balancing stuff to say:

Β 

Burning barrels are indeed useless as an ingredient, as you said before. The ingredient that makes sense in its place for the Chemistry Station recipe is gas can. Abstract concept.

Β 

Insulator (ingredient for electrical parts) is a sharp stick. Electrical parts are electrical parts and shall also represent an electrician-used object like the insulator. I suggest to delete it from the game to make space for cool stuff.

Β 

The barrrels might be useless as ingredients but they are PERFECT for zombie farming. Each produces around 5% heat every few seconds, I stack 20 of those in a series and summon tons of screamers.

Β 

If anything I'd like to see them craftable outside the workbench (so I can farm experience earlier in the game).

Two things on balancing....first....A17 we never played past day 30, always started over because we’d done everything. With the number of hours we played, that means once a week real time to start over. A18, we are at day 70 and starting to think it might be time to start over but probably will go through day 77 horde. This by itself is huge improvement. With your continued tweaking, it can only improve.

Β 

Second....grass....kind of useless in the grand scheme. Except for the beginning quest, making bedrolls and if you happen to find the book that lets you make cloth from grass.....grass is a useless item. I know the book was an attempt to make it more useful but with cloth being so prevalent in the game(I sell stacks of cloth all the time) even the book isn’t a huge benefit. I don’t know how to fix it, just wanted to throw it out there for discussion.

As we on lock picking I agree there needs to be a real reason (time incentive isn't enough) for the use of lock picks over simply smashing open containers.

Β 

The incentive as mentioned in earlier post, loot maybe should become a percentage number of items (or value) tied to the nature of how its been opened.

Β 

Smash it then you loose more, using lock picks you gain more.

Yes. It’s an xp cap for xp needed to level up and not a limit placed on what level can be attained.

Β 

Did the devs set the function to a certain level and exp amount or was it just the adding of the function for future use (or for modding use..πŸ€”)

Archived