Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

10 million customers? Of which max 10 thousand are playing simultaneously? I guess there's a 0.001% remark in there somewhere..

We have more players than a lot of games that have outsold us, so what is your point? Steamcharts doesn't add in console players.

Surface individual resource blocks, check.

...no need to mine.

Farming blocks, check.

...no need to tend to the soil.

...maybe that static terrain wasn't just idle thinking? We saw the signs of the console port long before it was announced... MM, are y'all making the terrain static?

- - - Updated - - -

What makes you think boiled water is safe to drink?

Science? :)

I always hated vanilla Skyrim to be honest..and yes, I've played it...never could play it without mods. Looks horrible, feels horrible, things like graphic mods, more weapons, more races, more vanilla weapon damage are always welcome to make the game feel a bit better, not to mention the horrible weak magic that is in the game, I've always hated it...and I'm a big Skyrim player, played it for years upon years upon years.

I got 217 mods at the moment.

Yeah as time goes on I try bigger crazier mods, I'm just saying the first few play throughs are vanilla so I understand what mods I would actually want instead of just tossing in stuff without thinking it through.

I really like the box plant, I freaking hate tilting the land, always have to place a wood frame to make it neat, and sometimes I miss a spot or two. Although IMO the 15 nitrate is steep price per box.

Why not just leave the hoe for the whiners? 2 method, if you found the hoe as a loot, you can do the old method.

Writing a tool tip for farming needs to be concise not well there is this way, and if your an old minecraft kinda guy, there is that way. One way to do things not a bunch, then you have to jump through a specific hoop that is balanced and well thought out. We don't need to keep the old way, new players will just get it and like it.

Madmole, I was very busy these months and I only saw your videos and few comments, but I saw the publication of the new farming system, my question is whether it can still grow in the soil? (as it is in a17) or is it mandatory to grow in the boxes? Sorry if you already answered.

Great the videos!

To be honest, the decrease in zombie count is much more detrimental to the game than changing the gardening system. Which also sounds.. Not so good, to be honest, but not so bad as the decrease in zombies.

10 rage zombies in your face is too much, 5 is still too much, but you will get 5.

Acquiring things you need to thrive is survival IMO. Finding sewing kits to craft pockets, find tools to be more efficient, learning new recipes for seeds and meals is rewarding survival to me. There are over 300 new books and schematics to find that increase your chance of survival. Farm, build a fort, etc. Its completely confusing that you think the game is less survival oriented, you do all the same stuff you always did, but with a lot more to do now every day is jam packed with a massive to do list.

Looting =/= 100% survival. Other tasks separate from looting like farming, building a base, crafting, traps...things that take time and make the player SACRIFICE something to gain something else is a huge part of survival. Making those choices trivial or a simple inconvenience to looting is what I think everyone is up in arms about. Yes looting is fun and part of it, but if it’s the only reliable or worthy thing to do to get through the game, well, it’ll be monotonous imo.

Loc

Has the paper mill POI been adjusted in A18? Currently, you can get thousands upon thousands of paper from that place. (Aka many, many stacks.)

And what of the Clunky Oil POI? I think there's 25 barrels in there in A17... Has that POI been nerfed? Just wondering.

(I'm asking because, imo, both of these POI's are... quite unbalanced, to say the least.)

Barrels are nerfed so 25 barrels will be a nice moderate find but nothing to last a lifetime I assure you, I cleared it out in my last game and was ok for a day or two is all. Not sure about the paper mill I thought I got wood when I chopped the paper logs.

Barrels are nerfed so 25 barrels will be a nice moderate find but nothing to last a lifetime I assure you, I cleared it out in my last game and was ok for a day or two is all. Not sure about the paper mill I thought I got wood when I chopped the paper logs.

Because of the gas yield nerf of the barrels, I'd like to request that a special trap can be made out of them. Maybe the INT can make remotely detonated barrel traps that explode when given power from a grid or something like that. Or maybe a proximity barrel.

Cooking only kills bacteria. Actually you would have to filter the water to remove toxins.

I was thinking about that last night, actually. Making water filtration systems in the game.

And finding glass jars everywhere is annoying. I mean, finding a pool of murky water and needing an empty bottle to collect it, sure, but finding a full glass jar with murky water in the toilet is a bit disgusting.

You don't hoe. The hoe is gone. You craft a box and put it where you want a crop to be.

Mod Note: If you’re catching up please watch this video by Unholy Joe that demonstrates what Madmole is saying here.

In the video a couple trees were planted. Are there plans to expand the allowed tree types and what can be planted? I would love to be able to plant the smaller pine trees in the regular game. Or this there some way you can stop the growth of a tree you planted so it does not reach full size? I want the variety in looks more than anything else.

We have rage zombies, so its for the better. If we didn't do it, there would have been massive weeping and endless rage quitting. Should we remove rage zombies the coolest thing I've seen in years? No lets just thin the herd a little noone will even notice and pacing is important, running into a zed every 30 feet isn't fun its monotonous. The woods are still crawling with zeds, the change isn't really noticeable and I have 1000's of hours in. Least not if your on the run, I see them constantly.

Giving you a heads up, you will be reducing or removing rage. I know my findings are useless to you and the three fans i have of my mod mean nothing to your empire, but it was unanimous. It was hated. No one wants a faster zombie unexpectedly. I love it but I love farming so if thats any indication then i suspect 10 million people will be telling you they hate rage along with their glowing reviews of the farm plot boxes.

Because of the gas yield nerf of the barrels, I'd like to request that a special trap can be made out of them. Maybe the INT can make remotely detonated barrel traps that explode when given power from a grid or something like that. Or maybe a proximity barrel.

It'd be cool if the barrels themselves were helper blocks that could be either barrels or traps, and you'd never know which ones until you tried... =)

Archived