Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Aww.. you're so cute. Threatening to abuse your privilege on the forum just because someone won't reply to you directly. Temper temper

And the irony of thinking I'm the one causing trouble. Read my most recent post.

If nothings changed, why are there changes? Boxes can be added without removing hoes.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not just have both boxes and the old farming style, MadMole?

You had a great system, and now you have a new great asset in the planter boxes. Why must one require an alteration of the other?

Dude I'd stop sticking your foot into your own bear trap

What are you doing my man? I mean, I guess I can admire this level of arrogance, taunting a moderator for being upset at you ignoring his perspective in favor of insulting him

You are playing with fire

There's no good reason to require nitrate for farm plots. Any halfway decent composting produces soil so rich in nutrients already that you wouldn't want to be adding anything else. Plant fiber and soil are all you really ought to need.

Source: Growing up, my mom always had a large garden behind the house. She still does. Routinely winds up with so many veggies she has to give some away because her extra large freezer and whole room of canning jar shelves get filled up. Seriously...you think the highest a17 tier of living off the land was over the top? Not even close. That's with a garden the size of two Ford trucks, fueled by compost that was mostly lawn clippings, with leaves and plant bits from the veggie garden and flower gardens.

Aww.. you're so cute. Threatening to abuse your privilege on the forum just because someone won't reply to you directly. Temper temper

And the irony of thinking I'm the one causing trouble. Read my most recent post.

If nothings changed, why are there changes? Boxes can be added without removing hoes.

I'm in good temper. :) But if you continue to troll then it won't be an abuse of privilege.

Besides, you are replying to me directly. You just have no rational argument so you think you can goad me somehow. I'm only interested in the topic, my friend. And... I'm not the only one who notices it.

You need to start reading my posts past the first line. I never said nothing has changed. In fact I outlined the changes very succinctly for you. I said farming as a whole is not dead nor is it gone. You have yet to give anything close to a coherent counterpoint.

Using the "boxes" as a higher tier method of farming, w/o having removed the old farming system, would have been a value add. The new proposed system adds ZERO value and sounds like it is more work to remove the old system than the worth of the zero gain. It is also one step closer to a static terrain, which I'm fearful of.

Well said.

As I've asked a handful of times now, why does the addition of one thing (planters) necessitate the removal or alteration of another (hoe and tilling)?

You had a great system, and now you have a new great asset in the planter boxes. Why must one require an alteration of the other? ��

What's done is done and what's gone is gone. Conversation over. Instead of focusing on the ifs, focus on the what is; instead of focusing on farming, focus on something that might shed some positive light to these dreaded past thirty pages on this forum. Or continue dwelling in the past and achieve nothing. Your choice. I'm sure with time, they'll be a mod out there that will quench your Farming Simulator wannabe needs. (: (I know I am being somewhat snide, but like a lot of people, I wouldn't be a fan of this topic continuing for the next 50 pages. And no, that is not a challenge.)

Why not just have both boxes and the old farming style, MadMole?

You had a great system, and now you have a new great asset in the planter boxes. Why must one require an alteration of the other?

He has answered this several times already. You really need to read past the first line of informational posts....

Who needs a blacksmith? An alternative "fix" would have been stone hoe's or more common loot drop hoe's.

A stone hoe is just a sharp stick boring obstacle. Farming did not need a special mechanic to learn, read what I said, simple rewards to not warrant complex clunky designs. Hoeing the ground was never fun, it was a ♥♥♥♥ show. Placing blocks is a working system, so leverage that.

So how about a plate block planter?

That works great. I'm one of those who would go through the effort of lining my driveway with plants, but loves the new video of the planters (exactly what I was hoping for). A plate block planter would work just fine in my view.

One of the things I love about this game is how open it is to modding. It is so easy to tweak things just the way I want in the XML files. I understand that some people are frustrated with things being tweaked, but if someone really doesn't like it...it's not like the game is locked down and there is only one way to play it. Just download a mod or tweak the XML files to make it what you want. Heck, I can still use the Blunderbuss, use the old log spikes, etc. It's still all there in the XMLs and you can make it the game "you" want.

Personally, though - I am waiting to play the vision of the developers intended and look forward to all the tweaks to see what it will become. I'm not waiting for them to build the game I expect. I expect...to be surprised.

Side note: Some of the conversations I have been reading for the last hour a I try and catch up reminds me of children complaining about the Christmas presents they got under the tree...because they have to go get batteries to play with their new toys that they are already disappointed with before even opening the box or unwrapping them. Be patient.

This is getting old, no amount of words is going to explain a year of hard work. Play it, give us feedback then.

I realize my comment/question might come off as being cheeky or something, but I can assure you that was not the intent.

I honestly think the rage mechanic even with less zombies at a time will be more difficult for new players than double the zombies without. I just wanted to know if you thought that was a possibility.

Loc

Thanks for the answer.

Of course I have to play it to know how it feels.. But I just have a bad feeling.. Could be the mexican food of yesterday though.

Yes I need to choose my words more carefully. It sounds like crap on the surface, but in the context of a year of changes, better ai, rage zombies, everyone feeling too much pressure, it was a good decision. Feels like lots of biome zeds yet. Did you know its so thick we had to add "invisible animals" as a hack to thin it down? Like the lowest number is so high that we spawn invisible animals that die instantly just to keep the numbers reasonable. Sucks but we'll gut that code soon enough. Even on the minimum setting its a lot and with bread crumbs and better ai, "feels the same or worse" I should say.

I'm in good temper. :) But if you continue to troll then it won't be an abuse of privilege.

Besides, you are replying to me directly. You just have no rational argument so you think you can goad me somehow. I'm only interested in the topic, my friend. And... I'm not the only one who notices it.

You need to start reading my posts past the first line. I never said nothing has changed. In fact I outlined the changes very succinctly for you. I said farming as a whole is not dead nor is it gone. You have yet to give anything close to a coherent counterpoint.

No-one's trolling. You're just drunk on forum privilege.

Read my posts. They are very much on topic. And you say you want a discussion? Where is it?

You haven't answered my question regarding the interference of and changing od the old farming system with the arrival of the planters?

And who are you anyway? A developer? You're just the mouthpiece of the devs and a moderator who himself dabbles in a little trolling here and there.

If you're upset by my posts, grab some tissues. It's my opinion and nothing more - you'll get over it. The concerns I've raised are concerns it seems others share.

Although I'm not as involved with the zombie counts or the rage mechanic there are some things I do care about and the farming aspect is one of them.

I will grant you one thing - when it comes to the perks and builds, you're right - myself and others do need to play in order to experience the changes. I won't argue with that.

But when it comes to a blatant admission that the hoe and wild tilling is out in favour of planter boxes and a more crafting based system in place of the old style - I don't think it's necessary to actually engage in that in game in order to understand the implications.

We are of course ignorant, but give us a break. We're not stupid 😑

But the crafting is done in my backpack or at a workbench while I’m, I guess, looting. Not really the same imo.

Loc

Ummm you still click the ground where the farm plot goes, so yes, its the same as clicking the ground with a hoe. MOre work if you consider digging a trench.

No, they're not.

The majority of the typical starting problems in A17 could be avoided by reading the item descriptions or even... gasp... the journal entries explaining how stuff works.

If you watched any of the streams (performed by Today's Gamers)... that wasn't happening.

The reason why gamers think they are so smart is that many games are now focus-grouped to death and go out of their way to hold the gamers' hands. 7D largely allows players to do what they want when they want and that doesn't always work out well. =P

Got it. Streamers are stupid, so all gamers are stupid.

This streamer partnership thing really did turn out to be the bell tolling for the game that us long timers loved. Shame. When's the Battle Royale Mode being added?

That being said, there is definitely a bug of some sort that makes it so zombies in the area immediately know exactly where you are when you enter a POI or even the trader compound no matter how quiet you are and whether or not they had line of sight on you when you entered the building.

Or the new bread crumb code led us here. Overall I'm fine with the change, more fps, still plenty of zombies in the wild IMO.

Uhh, he can't. I know that you know he can't but where else is he going to get his answers?

This. I can understand that getting “feedback” before hand is not ideal and forum posts can be interpreted wrong, but why have the forums if not to express concerns and start discussions?

I can easily shut up and say nothing, but isn’t there value in this? Why do early access then?

Loc

Noones trolling. You're just drunk on forum privilege.

Read my posts. They are very much on topic. And you say you want a discussion? Where is it?

You haven't answered my question regarding the interference of and changing od the old farming system with the arrival of the planters?

And who are you anyway? A developer? You're just the mouthpiece of the devs and a moderator who himself dabbles in a little trolling here and there.

If you're upset by my posts, grab some tissues. You'll get over it. The concerns I've raised are concer s it seems others are sharing.

Although I'm not as involved with the zombie counts or the rage mechanic there are some things I do csre about ans the farming aspect is one of them.

I will grant you one thing - when it comes to the perks and builds, you're right - myself and others do need to play in order to experience the changes.

But when it comes to a blatant admission that the hoe and wild tilling is out in favour of planter boxes and a more crafting based system in place of the old style - I don't think it's necessary to actually engage in that in game in order to understand the implications.

We are of course ignorant, but give us a break. We're not stupid

Its reasoning like this that gives genuine criticism a bad rap here. The ego is palpable. You really owned that moderator epic style my dude.

@madmole,

When A18 hits will it be possible to edit the demolisher zombie?

such as how far he runs before he blows up and the timer, i myself would like to have it so,

reduced time and abit more of a blast when he goes off. like a wall breaker.

i wanna make them nukes lol.

I'm pretty sure its all in xml.

Archived