Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yeah because the advent of walls and fences aren't a thing, right.

Also people like making big farms, whose going to make a 100 x 100 'greenhouse.'

Maybe you missed my comment to Sage (MechanicalLens) - tilling hundreds of blocks isn't anywhere near as tedious as making hundreds of planters to go in hundreds of holes, or hundreds of placements for an obscenely large supergreenhouse to encase everything.

Hoe + land = beautiful.

Planters + base buildinf = beautiful.

Farming gone + crafting/ potted plant fettish = a nightmare.

Farming

1) Prepare the land

2) Plant the seeds

3) Nourish and tend the plants

4) Harvest

1) Has been changed from striking the ground with a hoe to digging up earth and mixing it with fertilizer and placing it in a planter box.

2) No change

3) Never existed in the game.

4) Changed from hitting the plant to pressing E

You keep saying "farming is gone" and the "death of farming" and "what you have done is unforgivable" and yet look at my outline. Farming is just as present as it has always been. The method of preparing the land for planting has changed and that is it. Farming still exists as much as it ever did. More so, if you actually know anything about gardening and the relative importance of a hoe to a shovel...

Please, tell me how my analysis above is wrong and farming as a whole is dead and gone as of A18.

madmole will we have random zombie encounters in like a19 or a20 because I knida miss them but if they where re added into the game that would be good I know we still do have random encounters with zombies but only like 1-2 zombies or are you talking about random bandit encounters?

We already have it, its called a wandering horde.

We'll buff that code to personalized random encounters, that are game staged to the guy who will probably cross paths with them. Bandits, traders, injured survivor, pack of coyotes, etc.

I am the opposite here.

I cannot play a Bethesda game through to the end without modding the crap out of it. Bethesda is one of the worst gameplay game makers that exist IMO. They are also the absolute best world creators out there.

MODS fix the gameplay so I can enjoy the rich, amazing and detailed worlds they create :D

I'd disagree, they are (were as of late) the best devs on the planet, with Rockstart runner up. INterested to see what Obsidian does. I mean I take it as a whole. As a whole product. Yeah some stuff is meh but no games have had me log that many hours. Of course mods extend the length, but the story, npcs, player classes had me when I looked at the box.

Farming

1) Prepare the land

2) Plant the seeds

3) Nourish and tend the plants

4) Harvest

1) Has been changed from striking the ground with a hoe to digging up earth and mixing it with fertilizer and placing it in a planter box.

2) No change

3) Never existed in the game.

4) Changed from hitting the plant to pressing E

You keep saying "farming is gone" and the "death of farming" and "what you have done is unforgivable" and yet look at my outline. Farming is just as present as it has always been. The method of preparing the land for planting has changed and that is it. Farming still exists as much as it ever did. More so, if you actually know anything about gardening and the relative importance of a hoe to a shovel...

Please, tell me how my analysis above is wrong and farming as a whole is dead and gone as of A18.

Do you want to kiss me? You're always creepily on my back. Off you go now.

Shoo 😷🤢🤮

No, they're not.

The majority of the typical starting problems in A17 could be avoided by reading the item descriptions or even... gasp... the journal entries explaining how stuff works.

If you watched any of the streams (performed by Today's Gamers)... that wasn't happening.

The reason why gamers think they are so smart is that many games are now focus-grouped to death and go out of their way to hold the gamers' hands. 7D largely allows players to do what they want when they want and that doesn't always work out well. =P

I watch a ton of streamers thanks. Taking my comments out of context doesn’t help your response. I also added that players have more resources than ever to help figure things out.

Having good tool tips and in game tutorials is not hand holding. It’s good game design. The journal entries are hidden and feel like an afterthought. On screen tips keep gameplay moving and removes the need for cumbersome menus.

My ideas aren’t coming from some made up theories. I am a user interface architect by profession (10+ years). User testing done right should’ve solved this issue long ago.

Loc

Looting =/= 100% survival. Other tasks separate from looting like farming, building a base, crafting, traps...things that take time and make the player SACRIFICE something to gain something else is a huge part of survival. Making those choices trivial or a simple inconvenience to looting is what I think everyone is up in arms about. Yes looting is fun and part of it, but if it’s the only reliable or worthy thing to do to get through the game, well, it’ll be monotonous imo.

Loc

Takes longer to craft and place a farm plot than to hoe the dirt IMO.

I had 5 biome zombies after me last night, nobody will even notice. Max alive might have been preventing that former larger value from even spawning.

Yes I am against this change in theory, but in practice you barely notice, there are still zeds mulling about and sandwiching you in POIs, yet the game feels smoother and faster. Its a win win now, and will be a win win win later when we add random encounters. I did add more than 17 has to the wasteland though, so if you feeling frisky go there at night.

Thanks for the answer.

Of course I have to play it to know how it feels.. But I just have a bad feeling.. Could be the mexican food of yesterday though.

In the video a couple trees were planted. Are there plans to expand the allowed tree types and what can be planted? I would love to be able to plant the smaller pine trees in the regular game. Or this there some way you can stop the growth of a tree you planted so it does not reach full size? I want the variety in looks more than anything else.

You need to rotate your seeds and mix a oak in here and there.

You mean ugly points. Its still involved doing it, but no clunky throw away hoe, and anyone can figure it out without a wiki now.

Edit: I thought you were on about farming.

Um read my other post, you can't even notice, I should have never even said anything.

Yeah sorry I have a couple of posts of a more critical nature posted over a couple of pages.. Had to play ketchup!

And random guys spawning isn't? 85% of them aren't seen and are wasting cpu, and like I said, I tried it last night, brand new game and it felt the same to me, I had 5 jerks harrassing me, I felt like I was still on the forums ;)

Which of the zombies is me??

Please let it be the big momma...

A17 - get boxed in by 10 zombies, you have a slim chance of surviving

Who EVER got boxed in by 10 zombies out in the open wilderness? I'd love to see a video of that except one does not exist. The closest that might exist is a video of some guy in his menus and gets clocked by a zombie.

We are talking about wildnerness biome random spawns. I modded my A17 game to increase the wilderness spawns by 4x and they were still a non-factor until I entered a POI. I would have to clear ALL the local outdoor zombies to trigger the spawn mask for the area before even starting to explore a POI.

In the mod I would often see 12-15 random zeds out in the wilderness and guess what they could never ever ever do? Box me in.

You know why? Because it is the open wilderness and they walk and I run and even when they run I run faster. There is zero challenge or risk of death during the day out in the wilderness from random zombies-- even if they were increased to 50. I know this for a fact because when we had massive wandering hordes they couldn't box me in either and were easy as snot to avoid or kill at my pleasure.

That being said, there is definitely a bug of some sort that makes it so zombies in the area immediately know exactly where you are when you enter a POI or even the trader compound no matter how quiet you are and whether or not they had line of sight on you when you entered the building.

I think the reason people have issue with it, isn't so much because its dumbing down those specific actions, but many of us thought (think) that farming is a part of the game and would, if anything, be expanded to make it into a system in itself. When you say that farming is "opt-in" and unnecessary, that's a bit of a shock since being able to feed yourself and group, is very much a part of survival. Personally, I don't care all that much about the current change to it, its more like I said... the shock that what many of us see as a key part of a survival game, isn't.

It might be needed for guys who play a certain way, for me or any looter/shooter type? Nope. I kill everything I see and have 500 meat in my box, next to stacks of meat stew. I only farm for stews and some aloe and coffee. I can buy food at vending machines if I was desperate.

I just don't understand. Food has never been an issue except on day 1 if you know how to play the game. So farming is optional role playing thing to me. Its a convenience feature, not mandatory. I like it, I do it, but I don't need to.

Its arguably more complex than 17. Why should farmers need blacksmith to get started?

Simpler solution to the blacksmith requirement: craft a stone hoe that can get you started immediately, but slowly, like the difference between a stone axe and a hammer for block upgrades.

But, before you kill me, I'm fine with the crafting method -- but I can definitely see the need for the fertile ground block for a lot of traditional farms so they look natural. Basically, instead of simply tilling, you dig up a spot, mix up the dirt, rotten meat and nitrate into a fertile ground block, and place it back in the hole you just made. I can live with this. It's not as convenient as simple tilling and planting, but farming was TOO easy, imho. Consider the digging up of the dirt to use in the crafting of fertile ground blocks as "tilling", and you're basically doing the same thing a slightly different way, AND you're making us fertilize the dirt again, which is also good.

Bring on A18, my body is ready.

I watch a ton of streamers thanks. Taking my comments out of context doesn’t help your response. I also added that players have more resources than ever to help figure things out.

Having good tool tips and in game tutorials is not hand holding. It’s good game design. The journal entries are hidden and feel like an afterthought. On screen tips keep gameplay moving and removes the need for cumbersome menus.

My ideas aren’t coming from some made up theories. I am a user interface architect by profession (10+ years). User testing done right should’ve solved this issue long ago.

Loc

+1 - I mentioned something earlier about having a small tutorial when you spec into farming (maybe into other things too) with a guide on how to craft a hoe.

It could even be a rudimentary one until the forge is unlocked and forged iron is acquired.

Archived