Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Wow....I just noticed a change to the game. Not sure when it was implemented but I think it is smart and it is a change I debated in favor of doing back in A16 but the decision went against me. Now it seems someone with decision making power agrees for A18. I think this change will result in fewer gameplay complaints that would then in turn result in TFP feeling pressure to dial back some of their tougher gameplay changes. So Snowdog should be happy :)

Someone asked for a code name for an as yet unannounced change for A18 so here ya go:

Codename: Conventional Ralston

Wow....I just noticed a change to the game. Not sure when it was implemented but I think it is smart and it is a change I debated in favor of doing back in A16 but the decision went against me. Now it seems someone with decision making power agrees. I think this change will result in fewer complaints that would result in TFP feeling pressure to dial back some of their tougher gameplay changes.

Someone asked for a code name for an as yet unannounced change for A18 so here ya go:

Did they change the '7' into an '8' in the 'A1x' at the top right of the screen?

Have to add in...I also played the Forest and Subnatica...and both bored me to tears before 20 hours play time...

I limit myself , every single Alpha of this game since A7...from 30-40 days at first , then last few alphas 60+ days...then I stop and wait for the next alpha so I do not get burned out on an unfinished game...and I STILL have over 500 hours play time...

Pfft, in Roland's mind the connection could be as tenuous as taking the first letter of each word getting CR, so saying they added Challenge Rating to the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Or fortnite ;)

Both really crappy and underperforming, unsuccessful games, right? ;-)

(Wait, what's the original context?) :)

Pfft, in Roland's mind the connection could be as tenuous as taking the first letter of each word getting CR, so saying they added Challenge Rating to the game.

Tenuously connected hints are the best kind. No one is going to get this one. heheheh....

Tenuously connected hints are the best kind. No one is going to get this one. heheheh....

Clearly "Conventional Ralston" is an anagram.

It could be Invent no carnal loots, meaning that stripper zombies will no longer drop slightly smelly dollar bills when they die.

Or it could be No avian consent troll, meaning that vultures will now ask your permission before attacking you.

Or Rot on cannelloni vats, meaning that food spoilage is in.

Or Vast noon canine troll, meaning that every noon a huge horde of dogs attacks the player.

Or No ill on oven transact, meaning that food poisoning doesn't apply to cooked food.

Or even Intros ♥♥♥♥ nonce volt which can't be described on a family forum.

Everyone enjoys it but only Brits won’t admit it...;)

We do enjoy it, although it's a little crass compared to our usual standard.

It's a high bar to hit though. Around Europe there's the phrase "a British sense of humour". I'm not entirely sure that's a compliment. :-)

Is the MF's counter supposed to hit a perfect 0 before it's pushed to experimental ? Just wondering if there's any priority on your bugs that let us hope that only the most glaring / gamebreaking ones need to be fixed while a dozen may make it to a 18.0 for some days (until the 18.1 patch).

Both really crappy and underperforming, unsuccessful games, right? ;-)

At least one, possibly two, of those is accurate. :-)

Anyhoo... back on topic-ish.

I'd be very disappointed if voxels were removed for a sequel. Not only would it remove a huge part of the uniqueness of the game but would be a hell of a lot of wasted work and experience.

The current voxel engine could do with a lot of fundamental changes which are simply not possible between alphas but that can be rebuilt into a much more friendly and faster system given enough time.

+1 to the return of a dangerous central hub city.

Hi Joel, now that you have a play around with electricity, what do you think about adding logic box (AND, OR, XOR, NAND, NXOR) in future alpha? or would that still run in the limitation with multiple input/close loop circuit? I'm not sure if that limitation is by tech or by choice.

Also, that new walkway could use an electric fence, bury one in the walkway at the start (use hatch for easier wiring and maintenance), and put one on the roof at the end of the walkway where you can reach and repair, set active for 10~30 second after trigger. This should slow them down so the dart can deal more damage before they run through. You could also add turret on top of the bar for higher chance of hs.

Wow....I just noticed a change to the game. Not sure when it was implemented but I think it is smart and it is a change I debated in favor of doing back in A16 but the decision went against me. Now it seems someone with decision making power agrees for A18. I think this change will result in fewer gameplay complaints that would then in turn result in TFP feeling pressure to dial back some of their tougher gameplay changes. So Snowdog should be happy :)

Ralston... Oh, very simple!

1) Ralston: Meaning "Ralph's Town".

2) To "Ralph" is to vomit.

3) Cop's vomit up.

4) There are 3 letters in the word "COP"!

SO, If I take all the facts from above, add some letters and delete the weak, Milk Drinking, letters, you get:

"Airships!"

I know! It was all a huge surprise to me too!

:)

They must have put one(s) of these in:

1. Spawn near bag

2. Drop nothing on death

3. Multiple bedrolls

and as for Conventional Ralston; Broken arms

???

The problem is spawning stuff in the wild has no game staging so you can't be too brutal, at least not until we can make players only spawn in the forest. I can add some feral/rad dogs at some point.

I know the M word is taboo here but id be remiss to not mention that we have biome gamestaging in Ravenhearst. It calculates the gamestage of the player in a loaded chunk when spawning in zombies or animals that we set. If grouped it calculates the groups gamestage.

I have always wished to see this feature because it could make later gameplay more involved for players far along in gamestage. I think I have even seen you mention this may be a future addition in later alphas and I hope that it is. It can make exploring the world more dangerous as the player becomes stronger and can also introduce new enemies.

I hope u didnt miss the announcement on non gps bloodmoon zombies after u die once :)

ROFL: '79 I also did an ASCII char based Lunar Lander on Dec PDP-11. HP System 3000 too. Had done a few text versions a few years earlier. (owned over a dozen different kinds of personal computers (at the same time) - and still have a few)

Also was a Tandy Radio-Shack computer salesperson early 90's (only computers - not retail). We sold tons of them because although Tandy's were IBM compatible, they had 16 color graphics to IBM's 4, and a 'elementary' synthesizer chip. (Most of my sales were to families for gaming systems with some accounting on the side...)

A couple friends and I were so enamored with Sierra Quest games (LSL, Police Quest, Space Quest!, King's Quest, etc.) that we each bought a Roland MT-32 for 'REAL' kick ass sounds and music. (They were $500 plus at that time!) I still have mine.

There were a few times we would play in store after it closed - and be there when it opened the next day. Great memories. Thanks.

I started off with the RS CoCo line. First I had to tediously type in the program from my Rainbow Magazines (which I still have up in my attic). Then I moved up to the tape recorder which I constantly had to adjust with a little screwdriver. Finally up to my 5 1/4 floppy drive. And yes, I did punch the hole in the disk to make it DS lol. I still have a CoCo around here somewhere. I also have all those games in the original boxes here somewhere too lol. I use to love playing those. (I just recently added the LSL line to my steam games :) )

Archived