Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Madmole,

Do weapons found in loot still have a full magazine?

If so you had some more rounds in that m60 you found in the loot bag, but I get it, it was... hectic haha

Probably. Dang I'm amped to fight that day 91 horde but have stuff to do... can't wait til tonight ;)

Yes this one is base, feral could do 20k damage in a 20 meter radius :) Mini Nuke :) I won't even discuss radiated lol. Actually rads just do the same damage as ferals, but they have more HP and regen.

Couldn't you have just implemented a crane with a wrecking ball into the game? Then it would be clear what the purpose is.

Probably too inferior for my GS. Dogs are nothing, about like a snake. I am thinking of buffing them (the z dogs) so they are feared again.

Please do! I remember being so scared of them, but the last few alphas I didn't feel worried about them at all! Have you posted anything on the new animals coming?

Probably too inferior for my GS. Dogs are nothing, about like a snake. I am thinking of buffing them (the z dogs) so they are feared again.

Please do... but I think the problem with dogs isn’t how strong they once were or the damage they dealt... it was that a whole pack of them sneak up on you without a sound.

I would love if you could hear them coming in the distance... but you better start running because they will catch up. Even better if they made a formation with a couple running behind and a couple to the sides. Offset the pathing by a few meters until they get close enough.

Madmole, the forum said that the Demolisher will ignore the spikes. You could not clarify, it will completely destroy the spikes when it passes over them, or they will take as much damage as from other zombies.

It would be very disappointing to lose 15+ iron spikes in 2 seconds.

I still feel like those MF's can't be all THAT bad if you can get all the way to day 91...

Internal testers and devs are much more forgiving of MF's and restarts than the general public is....

We have to start over with a fresh game all the time but you just watch what happens when people have to start over with A18 after almost 10 months of not having to start over at all....

Madmole, the forum said that the Demolisher will ignore the spikes. You could not clarify, it will completely destroy the spikes when it passes over them, or they will take as much damage as from other zombies.

It would be very disappointing to lose 15+ iron spikes in 2 seconds.

His name is the Demolisher. He doesn't ignore the spikes. He goes through them like they are twigs and they get....demolished.

The code for him literally reads: "stompspikes true"

Remember that this is a late game enemy. Your spikes will be useful for a large portion of the game. The point of the demolishers is to prioritize them and take them out while they are still distant. If you let them get close then your defenses and your base will take damage as he moves through and then even more damage if he explodes.

Interestingly, there is no code for stomping barbedwire....

Internal testers and devs are much more forgiving of MF's and restarts than the general public is....

We have to start over with a fresh game all the time but you just watch what happens when people have to start over with A18 after almost 10 months of not having to start over at all....

Not to mention, releasing with known bugs is a time waster for everyone. For each one of those bugs, it is likely that one or more reports for it will come in, which have to be read, understood, and compared to the list.

For every one of those MFs, there are probably several nonMF bugs that players will still encounter and the devs will have to address.They’ll be busy enough with that.

His name is the Demolisher. He doesn't ignore the spikes. He goes through them like they are twigs and they get....demolished.

The code for him literally reads: "stompspikes true"

Remember that this is a late game enemy. Your spikes will be useful for a large portion of the game. The point of the demolishers is to prioritize them and take them out while they are still distant. If you let them get close then your defenses and your base will take damage as he moves through and then even more damage if he explodes.

Does he take no damage from spikes at all? Or 50+ spikes, still could stop him?

That's the thing though, this is going to be released to experimental, right? I really don't mind bugs, and plenty of others are willing to take the frustration. So theoretically, if you want to have a big stable release to the public while also pleasing those who really don't mind MFs, you could silently release it on the experimental branch and just announce it on the forums here. Then when you're ready for the big stable build you release and announce normally. Idk I'm not a PR manager, there might be holes here

With caution, I wonder if that would be good.

Ultimately, this is THE zed we really want to slow down. However, if this is late game, perhaps, this should just be considered part of the natural progression to move into electric fences.

Playing last night thinking that the dogs were no big deal, until I kept getting bitten and bleeding like 4-5 times in a row. I would slap a bandage on and the next hit would start me bleeding again. I got lucky in the end, ran out of bandages killing the last dog but bleeding. However, as I was trying to grab some cotton the bleeding stopped on its own. I still had 30 HP or so.

Maybe that is the buff you should give them, they don't hit hard but have a high chance of causing bleeding.

With caution, I wonder if that would be good.

Ultimately, this is THE zed we really want to slow down. However, if this is late game, perhaps, this should just be considered part of the natural progression to move into electric fences.

Barbed wire has low HP and it has been stated the demolisher does a lot of damage with fists, so if he's slowed down and takes a swing he'll probably clear the barbed wire quickly. I wouldn't depend on it. Electric fences sound like a plan. (besides, who DOESN'T like seeing z's light up?)

Plenty of Lawyers and Mothers in your horde though, aren't they low gamestage? Is anything else low gamestage limited? I guess non-spitting vultures at some point swap to spitting only?

If you buff them, does that mean that up to a certain GS they have say 100 health, and after they would have 200?

ZDogs find that one block opening sometimes and make things interesting.

That's the thing though, this is going to be released to experimental, right? I really don't mind bugs, and plenty of others are willing to take the frustration. So theoretically, if you want to have a big stable release to the public while also pleasing those who really don't mind MFs, you could silently release it on the experimental branch and just announce it on the forums here. Then when you're ready for the big stable build you release and announce normally. Idk I'm not a PR manager, there might be holes here

Just a quick pass to check for holes :)

If they silently release it to experimental, within 5 minutes people will notice and start telling everyone in the world that a new version is out, and half of the people that hear about it will start playing it. When bugs get found there will suddenly be thousands of complaints about how terrible and bug-laden the new version is. When people playing the new terrible bug-laden version that was forced upon them wasn't advertised anywhere but on the forums there will be dueling complaints about how "they knew what a steaming turd this was so they tried to hide it on their forums" and "they only care about the shills that are active on their forums and don't give a damn about all their paying customers."

And when anybody tries to point out that experimental should be expected to have issues no one will listen.

There's plenty of people who understand that experimental is experimental, and who don't mind dealing with some bugs to get new fresh goodies, but the people who don't seem to understand are far far louder.

The demolished I think is a fantastic zombie. I think you should keep it horde night only but I also think you introduce it somehow like through a quest.

You get a strange quest go to a special poi. You have to get into a chest or something and it wakes up the demolisher that then comes stoping in through concrete walls.

This zombie also gets me hyped for the behemoth which I assuming will also be a late game zombie.

Just a quick pass to check for holes :)

If they silently release it to experimental, within 5 minutes people will notice and start telling everyone in the world that a new version is out, and half of the people that hear about it will start playing it. When bugs get found there will suddenly be thousands of complaints about how terrible and bug-laden the new version is. When people playing the new terrible bug-laden version that was forced upon them wasn't advertised anywhere but on the forums there will be dueling complaints about how "they knew what a steaming turd this was so they tried to hide it on their forums" and "they only care about the shills that are active on their forums and don't give a damn about all their paying customers."

And when anybody tries to point out that experimental should be expected to have issues no one will listen.

There's plenty of people who understand that experimental is experimental, and who don't mind dealing with some bugs to get new fresh goodies, but the people who don't seem to understand are far far louder.

I mostly agree here. With a major update like this, keep the testing in-house and limit who can get it until you are ready to release it officially. But for the smaller fixes, A19.x for example, then putting out experimental branches for the people who want it, like the ones that found a bug and are willing to test and see if it was fixed, can be a good plan.

Compare is improved, it was backwards in A17, but it still sucks comparing modded vs unmodded. I wish it didn't take mods into consideration and just compared base values, or showed base damage comparison in parenthesis or something.

ha ha , i forgot about mods, that is yet another layer of complexity i didn't even mention in my post.

happy to hear the non intuitive compare UI from a17 is a bit better now.

hope by the time you add legendary weapons you will also make the compare reflect calculated dps from basic stats (not just base dmg but a combination of dmg and firerate), and a separate actual dps with mods/perks/books taken into account. the more you add the more frustrating it will get to figure what weapon is better. learn from d3, if ppl need a 3rd party tool to play your game u are missing at least one crucial QoL feature. ;)

for tools/armor it is less of an issue since there are less stats variety available for them. their stats are pretty independent and straightforward so the current compare is fine for them.

My first mine on my agility build hit a jackpot and I pulled out 30k worth of gold and there was more in there I"m sure. I haven't found much since. I've randomly noticed rare ore in my inventory, not sure where I got it but maybe it was mining a tiny bit or something. There is a miner book that adds a slim chance to get a bit of it per hit like the wood/honey book does.

30k? LOL There is absolutely no way unless that vein was massive, or if you've severely tweaked the prices of gold, silver, and/or diamond. :p

Archived