Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I REALLY DON'T want the new pois spoiled. Leave us some surprises!

@MADMOLE: I know you are at content lock, but since 18 exp is hitting in october, maybe some seasonal Halloween deco ike the christmas items could be worked in? Maybe rotted jack-o-lanterns on porches that could be used as an additional light sources, or a witches hat with loot properties like the lucky goggles?

The Graphic guys are probably just sitting on their thumbs anyway, and there are always those seasonal Halloween themed game recommendation lists.

Shame the demolishers didn't show up.... when they changed the damage to blocks maybe they broke them spawning in on horde nights?

Madmole, you have long said in one of the videos that in the 17th alpha additional types of barrels will be available: with water and with oil.

We got an analog of water barrels; these are 20 liter bottles and coolers. Do similar containers appear in Alpha 18 from which oil can be obtained?

Maybe it could just be black barrels at the service station?

I have been very curious on your strategy for clearing out POI's.

Go in fists blazing, pull guns out if I get surrounded, don't heal unless totally necessary (below 60 hp) Its starting to become a lot of radiated guys though, so we'll see. As long as they aren't armored its not bad.

Go to a doggos with a low level character. Then you know why people are afraid of dogs in the early game.

4 or 5 dogs run towards you while everywhere else the zombies just walk. The weapons used in the early game are the iron club and the bow. Firearms, if you have them, are only used in case of emergency and not all the time since you don't want to waste the scarce ammo for the slow zombies when you need them for the horde.

In addition, the dogs run very chaotically, making aiming difficult.

Your current judgement comes from your endgame character with strong firearms, thousands of rounds of ammo and armor to protect you. Of course dogs are no longer a big threat to this character.

I start questing immediately so I have an expendable income and buy ammo and find mines ASAP so I have all the ammo I need. All you need is a choke point and feed them melee one at a time, numbers are irrelevant then. Like they say in Skyrim "Only a fool lets himself get surrounded".

Anyhow you guys should know

Hey, MadMole, re: my question about the nailgun.

You thought it may be a bug. The reason I suggested it was sluggish isn't wasn't just in comparing it to the previous Alpha (prior to 17), but also because the claw hammer upgrades and repairs faster than the nailgun from what I see.

Maybe someone else on the forum could check and confirm or demonstrate to the contrary? 🤔

I would expect to see an increased speed and/or upgrade and repair % with the nailgun over the claw hammer since the former is a technological upgrade to the latter.

Hammer takes two hits, nailgun takes 1. The nailgun anim is a little sluggish though IMO.

Well, he did manage to become this high level a character, so the dogs seem to have been manageable up to that point :)

If I could melee 20 old glitchy dogs back in the day, then yeah they are nothing now. THe problem is people are stupid and don't use cover, don't wear armor, don't have a bandage ready, don't run away when it might be a losing battle, don't have meds, etc.

Doggos at level 1, lol. I still haven't been there because what kind of loot can a dog place have? But my point stands I jump down into the horde and melee dogs no problem on the earlier horde nights so I can harvest their leather and bones.

To help deal the zombies attacking the pillars i would place some dart traps on the iron bar on the side of pillars pointing downward. The zombies would be headshotted by the darts.

Yeah I thought of that after I got started but since it wasn't land claimed I couldn't pick them up :( We need at least 2 bedrolls and 2 land claims in options, or allow pickup of stuff if it ISN'T land claimed.)

@MM, some questions:

1. do you have an overhead image example of A18 RWG? I'm curious how the biome placement looks now. Is it still a patchwork like A17?

One question at a time please. No I don't but its basically 4 corners with a biome in the middle.

Did you have SI turned off?

Is that even a thing? NO I have default settings with 12 alive and 7 day air drops with markers. Going to try 16 alive on the next horde. I used to play 16 or 24 for sure, but then they decimated my fort in 30 seconds, since then we reduced block damage and have raised it and tweaked it a few times.

I REALLY DON'T want the new pois spoiled. Leave us some surprises!

@MADMOLE: I know you are at content lock, but since 18 exp is hitting in october, maybe some seasonal Halloween deco ike the christmas items could be worked in? Maybe rotted jack-o-lanterns on porches that could be used as an additional light sources, or a witches hat with loot properties like the lucky goggles?

The Graphic guys are probably just sitting on their thumbs anyway, and there are always those seasonal Halloween themed game recommendation lists.

Shame the demolishers didn't show up.... when they changed the damage to blocks maybe they broke them spawning in on horde nights?

No they are super busy you guys have no idea what is coming.

Madmole, you have long said in one of the videos that in the 17th alpha additional types of barrels will be available: with water and with oil.

We got an analog of water barrels; these are 20 liter bottles and coolers. Do similar containers appear in Alpha 18 from which oil can be obtained?

Maybe it could just be black barrels at the service station?

Maybe the white ones with gas made it in. More in 19, we ran out of time.

I start questing immediately so I have an expendable income and buy ammo and find mines ASAP so I have all the ammo I need. All you need is a choke point and feed them melee one at a time, numbers are irrelevant then. Like they say in Skyrim "Only a fool lets himself get surrounded".

I'd like to see you do an updated challenge of the same thing in a18. Challenge issued. 😎

No they are super busy you guys have no idea what is coming.

You can give us an idea. 😎

This is Bait of Master Class!

Prettier sticking Arrows on Corpses ?

If such a feature is being added, I demand roland give us a new hint word (i.e. everdeen lol)

While I like the subway idea TFP's would need to answer a few questions like:

1. How will a working subway work on the map in random gen, RG.

2. Would it just connect to city's or other places like neighborhoods, parks and so on?

3. Would players fast travel or would they travel normally?

4. What to do with zombies, bandits and other threats?

5. Would the subway be destructible like the rest of the world? If so what happens if it's damaged and the route crippled?

6, Finally, is the work put into building a subway and network be worth the time?

Reply to 6: Definitely!

Reply to the others: pick an answer and I'm sure many will love it regardless.

What's with the food and water meters?

no running backwards that fast any more.

Archived