Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

If you need another reason why your idea isn't ideal, there are already people who don't wrench off the fully wrecked part of sedans because they can't get any goodies like batteries or engines from this step. If you want to devalue something it should be the unwrecked parts of sedans

Gods, thank god I'm not a game developer. I think I'd have an aneurysm with too much thinking in doing balancing and all that craziness. :tickled_pink:

Though, would players miss the gas? I just wrenched a wreaked car, the one that is only a frame or chassis and harvested iron, mech parts, electrical parts, polymer, and headlight and obviously gas.

I too have to play in 90 fov at least, I have chronic migraine and I suffer a lot with lower FOV, i didn't play A17 at ALL until someone shared the FOV command. (I didn't know of it)

I don't want to be bothering, I know a lot of people already stated this, but please, at least leave the command. Can't play without it.

Much love. Trankitas.

Your argument fails because A, its a game and good gameplay trumps realism. B, how do you know a bandit or survivor wasn't driving that car a few days ago and it broke down?

It was nice of them to refill the gas pumps and scatter fresh barrels around the old cowboy houses while they were at it :-)

Looks better, runs better and plays better. Wider FOV has more stretching on the edges of the screen. Lower FOV gets much better performance. Lower FOV makes it creepier in a POI because you can't see as much and the zombies are much bigger in your face and everything is more immersive because it is drawn larger and closer to the camera.

Wow! Presented as the perfect thing!

But people want, always - more widely FOV. No one wants a narrow FOV - that's a fact.

Narrowing down FOV is just a poor solution to performance problems.

I always think you can find other things to disable. But you know better.

...Dear Joel, your game is not for juvenile casuals and not for the feeble-minded, so, here are people mostly - not stupid. Why do you say things like you think we're fools? Stop it please, this is very conspicuous :)

I go along with that. Before Fataal posted the console command, I had even considered to stop playing forever due to the missing fov setting. Btw. high fov is great for screenshots ^^

YDwqlkS.jpg

I mean that is a goodshot, but just looking at it makes my head hurt. Well, more gives me vertigo.

Looks better, runs better and plays better. Wider FOV has more stretching on the edges of the screen. Lower FOV gets much better performance. Lower FOV makes it creepier in a POI because you can't see as much and the zombies are much bigger in your face and everything is more immersive because it is drawn larger and closer to the camera.

Then why did you refuse sharp-sticks? they are thinner, lighter, and squeeze into all the cracks! :D

Gods, thank god I'm not a game developer. I think I'd have an aneurysm with too much thinking in doing balancing and all that craziness. :tickled_pink:

Though, would players miss the gas? I just wrenched a wreaked car, the one that is only a frame or chassis and harvested iron, mech parts, electrical parts, polymer, and headlight and obviously gas.

Just this morning I talked about this topic with one of my co-op players and we agreed that mech and electrical parts need a major balance nerf or better crafting sinks. Since there are resource stacks for them in lots of POIs and weapons scrap into mech parts the game is overflowing with them. In A18 weapons will no longer be a source but I doubt this alone will make them scarce.

Polymer might be the only thing in this list that is balanced (not saying it is, I'm just not sure) and iron is always nice but I doubt the cars are the best source of iron. Fact is there are players already ignoring the frame and that can only get more pronounced if you remove something.

One concern I'm having with the rpg like character perk enhancement talk, is that while it sounds great for a multiplayer game, how badly is that going to nerf single player games?

I can't imagine not being able to use bows (stealth), make electricity, medicines, concrete or steel because I just don't have enough perk points for them because of the new specialization.

I'm wondering if a18 will really need a sp a19 balance for sp games?

Probably A18.0 will be out of whack again, but the solution for the single player is bookstores, bookstores and bookstores. He's got them all for himself and should be able to find recipes for everything. The perk points are to fill any gaps he can't live without.

Very often developers of games have resorted to such things as limiting the FOV. Very often...

Many famous AAA games suffer from this.

What do players?

they themselves change the angle of view with the help of internal settings or code changes.

And never, i say again - NEVER! do not get any further problems with it!

except, in rare cases, incorrect display of hand-models at excessive viewing angle (which, too, can often be corrected settings).

What makes developers still do it?

I see several explanations:

1. lack of performance at the moment of the game's release.

2. console players who sit far away from the TV and their viewing angle corresponds to small.

3. preventing peeking "side vision" behind the textures and corners in MP.

Who knows more objectiveye reason?

At least in this game you can change the FOV easily with a console command. Sucks you have to do it each login but at least it's possible.

- - - Updated - - -

It also has the potential to make it unplayable for those with Vertigo and other such issues (like myself). Even though we're a minority, please consider us when making changes that we can't modify as we need. This can literally be a show stopper for us.

You can easily change the FOV using the console.

At least in this game you can change the FOV easily with a console command. Sucks you have to do it each login but at least it's possible.

- - - Updated - - -

You can easily change the FOV using the console.

Not when they said that they are probably taking the command out.

Yes, we can do it with the console, and then with the help of special utilities that change the FOV in popular games, appear detailed instructions on "how to unlock FOV in the game 7dtd", come "FOV unlockers"...

And developers, turn out - harm us? It turns out! What's this for? Strange behavior.

Because nobody wants to watch through the narrow gap, regardless of the reasons why we were restricted!

Very often i start to play my old games that i postponed once. And if i don't find a way to make a normal FOV - i always throw this game away and forget about it, even if it's not the worst game.

Torment is not worth it.

Maybe, you guys try to solve this by setting the proper distance of the LOD at least ? ;)

I remember, when you started using the SpeedTree trees (A13-A15...maybe) - my graphics card was freaking out from the detail in the forest when it rendered detailed objects from several thousand polygons at a great distance, but the forge with ten triangles - switched to low-poly - in two steps....

I'm certainly not a game developer and probably do not understand anything that would give you advice...but...

seeing this, suspicions begin to appear...

I'm sorry if I'm wrong...

I've said it since I been around, I feel unity was sort of a bad choice for 7dtd, its far too late now to change engines, but a lot of the issues they seem to be having is mainly unity's fault. Hopefully for their next game they do not use Unity again. Don't get me wrong Unity is great for certan types of games, but a game like 7dtd with a fully destructable world doesn't seen to be something Unity can handle well.

Looking forward to a18m though I hope they balance the weapons properly, a Machete should have way higher damage base than a iron reinforced club, due to the fact its a lv 70+ Steel item to craft. I'd put it at about 30 damage, something between Iron club and the sledge.

Maybe we can do something better....but... i honestly doubt it.

There is always room for improvement. Always. Even if I hadn't seen any games in which spoilage is actually functional, I would be certain of that.

It would be very helpful if you would mention the names of these games.

Since you are interested:

Subnautica, Subsistence, Don't Starve, ONI, Ark, Rimworld, Fallout 76, Project Zomboid, SCUM, The Forest, Stranded Deep, Outward, The Long Dark, DayZ, State of Decay, Metal Gear Survive, Neo Scavenger, Green Hell - are some that I can remember.

Yes, food spoilage is far more popular than most of you believe. Naturally some of these games implement it better than others - but in every single of these games it serves a practical gameplay purpose, which is also missing here.

I know mm, you gave me the heads up a while back and I am more than satisfied that it is at least on the TFP radar for the future. It was not a dig at the state of mulitplayer, just a dig at those single player only players who literally get their version of the game improved with every update yet still complain. Was just griping about the guy complaining when I feel he has a pretty skewed perspective. I know mine is skewed, but at least I recognize it and adjust expectations accordingly.

Yeah I know you weren't, no worries.

I've said it since I been around, I feel unity was sort of a bad choice for 7dtd, its far too late now to change engines, but a lot of the issues they seem to be having is mainly unity's fault. Hopefully for their next game they do not use Unity again. Don't get me wrong Unity is great for certan types of games, but a game like 7dtd with a fully destructable world doesn't seen to be something Unity can handle well.

Looking forward to a18m though I hope they balance the weapons properly, a Machete should have way higher damage base than a iron reinforced club, due to the fact its a lv 70+ Steel item to craft. I'd put it at about 30 damage, something between Iron club and the sledge.

Unity has upcoming changes to garbage collection, which should alleviate hitching/pauses. Of course that would require another Unity upgrade on their end, which I know from experience is a total ♥♥♥♥ show. Also, if they can implement Unity's ECS system for pathfinding and chunk generation, that would help tremendously. Native multithreading is WAY faster than ye-old threading.

There is always room for improvement. Always. Even if I hadn't seen any games in which spoilage is actually functional, I would be certain of that.

Since you are interested:

Subnautica, Subsistence, Don't Starve, ONI, Ark, Rimworld, Fallout 76, Project Zomboid, SCUM, The Forest, Stranded Deep, Outward, The Long Dark, DayZ, State of Decay, Metal Gear Survive, Neo Scavenger, Green Hell - are some that I can remember.

Yes, food spoilage is far more popular than most of you believe. Naturally some of these games implement it better than others - but in every single of these games it serves a practical gameplay purpose, which is also missing here.

please revise the list of games to exclude fallout 76. fallout 76 was not a game but a pile of crap and an embarrassment to game devs every where. day one of 17.0 experimental was a lot more stable than that pile of trash

MM I Know A18 is too close to implement but I was wondering if there are any plans to add more minerals or ore types? i.e. tin and copper. or are the raw materials done and no were not adding more?

Also are there plans to open up the ability to craft some of the deco blocks? i.e. wooden doors from the houses, sinks, facets, house window blocks, etc. currently there are so many deco blocks that you can only get by using the CM. I'd personally like to see more deco block options available for crafting if possible.

No the new shader has limits, if anything we'll be making cuts to some textures. Fertile farm ground is already cut, but I think you guys will like what I replaced it with.

of course, that is why i believe that many interesting features for good reason replaced by curiously fashionable junk can be was bring until better fortune and use their.

Believe me ;), if they are introduce interesting feature and will not be able, just, to completed, they'll just replace it with some sort of "consumer goods". That would be - "Like everyone else". Or "as easier".

"just business - nothing personal"

Archived