Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yes biomes will be a hard line in the PNG no dithering or splattering.

I always thought this would look better, especially if smoothing was removed at the boundary.

For example, where desert meets any other biome, the other biome is a hard step up, not smoothed, so you see like a little ridge.

For any biome that meets up with snow biome, the snow biome edge is stepped up without smoothing.

I always thought this would look better, especially if smoothing was removed at the boundary.

For example, where desert meets any other biome, the other biome is a hard step up, not smoothed, so you see like a little ridge.

For any biome that meets up with snow biome, the snow biome edge is stepped up without smoothing.

I think we said you are supposed to add smileys when you are joking....

Here is a thought that I have regarding fuel. I think this will add realism to the game and immersion which is important I think anyway.

currently there are 3 main ways to get fuel (gas can). I know there are others but they are not as prevalent and not to make this post any longer than necessary I'm using these most popular and practical ways.

Craft it with gas barrels that you can find littered in PoIs

Craft with oil Shale which is only found in desert biomes and takes some good time investment to get (great Immersion piece and makes sense)

Find it on gas pumps and by wrenching cars (Again good immersion and makes sense)

how about we add in a "petroleum refinery station" obviously smaller in scale but you take all those "fuel" items barrels, gas cans, oil shale, oil and you have to use the station to make "fuel" which powers your vehicles and power tools.

for example:

gas can still acquire the same way but when you put it through the refinery you get fuel. Here is an outline of the conversion rates

5 Gas Can get you 1 fuel with a 2 second crafting time

1 gas barrel gets you 250 fuel with a 20 second crafting time

3 oil shale gets you 1 fuel with a 1 second crafting time

you can adjust the values all you want but this could help "crub the abundance of fuel" currently in the game and add another step to getting fuel slowing down just how often you fire up that jeep or chainsaw.

Hope this sparks the creative juices :) I would not expect a change like this till A19 if at all

Thats what RUST does, but we have gas crafting in the chem station which seems fine to me. Just the things we've done will be a great start, I need to see how OP oil shale is as a fuel source I've never bothered with it since I find 1000's of fuel harvesting cars and from barrels.

Thats what RUST does, but we have gas crafting in the chem station which seems fine to me. Just the things we've done will be a great start, I need to see how OP oil shale is as a fuel source I've never bothered with it since I find 1000's of fuel harvesting cars and from barrels.

Grain Alcohol + Oil Shale = Gasoline. With the changes to farming it would make gas a top tier item to craft.

What kind of smileys should we put on my posts :peep:

LOL reminded me of when we were kids I'd peer at my brothers from behind the cereal box while eating breakfast to creep them out. They couldn't see my smiling face and it annoyed them so it was fun. So we'd fight over the cereal box every morning just to punk the other brothers with it lol. We didn't have cell phones and all that crap like now so we invented fun stuff out of what we had :)

That's a surprise. Are there plans for dithering or are you sticking with a sharply defined border?

The technical biome will be a hard line so spectrums fog and sky doesn't spam change. Terrain I'm not sure yet if we can do some kind of dithering on with the splat maps or not.

Anyways, i think oil shales should be a little more rewarding than barrels/cars , since you have to do a little bit of logistics to find them, then use chem station (having purchased the corresponding skill and having built it) and waste wood/coal and time in the process.

Anyways, i think oil shales should be a little more rewarding than barrels/cars , since you have to do a little bit of logistics to find them, then use chem station (having purchased the corresponding skill and having built it) and waste wood/coal and time in the process.

Yeah its a good system but few use it because there is abundant gas through scavenging and harvesting.

Madmole you almost reached 10k posts in the forum, you have a party planned to celebrate don't you?

I wanted to congratulate you for being this open and talk with us about what are you guys doing, what worries do you have, what are your plans for the future and all that, very few developers have this kind of approach to the community.

Thank you and The Fun Pimps. Cheers! For the years to come

Madmole you almost reached 10k posts in the forum, you have a party planned to celebrate don't you?

I wanted to congratulate you for being this open and talk with us about what are you guys doing, what worries do you have, what are your plans for the future and all that, very few developers have this kind of approach to the community.

Thank you and The Fun Pimps. Cheers! For the years to come

Hey thanks. No party planned. I don't worry about stuff too much. We have some big plans but cannot talk about them loosely over a forum.

Sweet. From what I heard, occlusion culling can improve performance in the 30% range. Never worked for me that well though, it usually is more like in the 15-20% range for heavy hitting object-rich scenes/games (like 7dtd) .

What doesn't make sense to me is the talk of TFP removing the FOV console command because of the occlusion culling they plan to add.

The game ran amazing in A16 and prior iterations without occlusion culling and allowing wider field of views.

I really hope they find the real problem that is causing the performance issue because I (and anyone else who suffers from motion sickness) can't play below 90 FOV.

Fair enough but if you neuter gas can harvesting it just will force people to mine oil shale. I do this already and I just like 30 min if that and get 3-5 full stacks and I never run out of gas lol. whatever you decide i'll be grateful!

What doesn't make sense to me is the talk of TFP removing the FOV console command because of the occlusion culling they plan to add.

The game ran amazing in A16 and prior iterations without occlusion culling and allowing wider field of views.

I really hope they find the real problem that is causing the performance issue because I (and anyone else who suffers from motion sickness) can't play below 90 FOV.

Yes i wonder what specific system... from A16 to A17 is causing the performance issue. It seems like they cant get to the root cause. A16 ran amazing...what specific change in A17 is causing the majority of the performance loss?

Larger FOV causes slower FPS because a lot more geometry is in the view, and most games limit it for that reason, and screenshots and large FOV settings looks bad. A17 has probably twice the geometry A16 had because we wanted to update the fidelity of our POI visuals and improve the game play.

Fair enough but if you neuter gas can harvesting it just will force people to mine oil shale. I do this already and I just like 30 min if that and get 3-5 full stacks and I never run out of gas lol. whatever you decide i'll be grateful!

The balance I'm looking for is you can harvest enough to use a vehicle a few days a week or on short runs near your base every day. But if you want to go exploring or drive everywhere, all the time (like now) you should have to mine shale and get a chem station going.

Larger FOV causes slower FPS because a lot more geometry is in the view, and most games limit it for that reason, and screenshots and large FOV settings looks bad. A17 has probably twice the geometry A16 had because we wanted to update the fidelity of our POI visuals and improve the game play.

FOV +/- 10 would probably be enough to ease the sickness some players get. Wouldn't that be reasonable while maintaining performance?

Yes, certainly....

But....

on my i5(3.5ghz)+GTX970 no large drawdowns performance in FOV=85.

Then why should i suffer ?

give a option to those - who hardware allows.

Yes, yes :) it will improve my game play !

PS: you know what?..:) disable this "Motion Bloor" - it will improve the gameplay and visual POI :D

and also - disable antialiasing - he also down performance!

Yes, certainly....

But....

on my i5(3.5ghz)+GTX970 no large drawdowns performance in FOV=85.

Then why should i suffer ?

give a option to those - who hardware allows.

Yes, yes :) it will improve my game play !

No because everyone will turn it up to get an advantage in MP, and then complain it runs bad. Once performance is out of the red zone we can talk about it.

Archived