Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

No the new shader has limits, if anything we'll be making cuts to some textures. Fertile farm ground is already cut, but I think you guys will like what I replaced it with.

it's probably - manure... :D

Joel, please tell - the many textures of blocks now have an unnatural luster and reflection where it should not be. Are you trying to fix it or is it "great looking" for you?

And if you will be so kind :) What are the problems with textures for terrains? I added several of them - and did not see any problems...

Thank You, and sorry for being grumpy ;)

and... who made a model of the workbench table?

First the promised equilibria will come and then we will return to the spoilage debate.

It seems that they are beginning to make good decisions.

I will be happy with a 16k map for a group of 4 players that we are.

As already mentioned, some mountains, large lakes and cliffs will make the map look much bigger.

Gas is another resource that could be scarce and vital to collect.

I hope that recovering infections and diseases is a priority for a18.

Thanks Madmole for the time you dedicate to the fans, keep it up.

No because everyone will turn it up to get an advantage in MP, and then complain it runs bad. Once performance is out of the red zone we can talk about it.

This is just a poor excuse. I ran some benchmarks and there isn't any meaningful performance decrease with a larger fov. Now reflections and shadows on the other hand, massive drop in performance. So by your own logic why aren't those options disabled? why not lock it to 1080p as well while your making questionable decisions. Sorry to be blunt but it has to be said on behalf of everyone that will get sick and stop playing indefinitely.

One concern I'm having with the rpg like character perk enhancement talk, is that while it sounds great for a multiplayer game, how badly is that going to nerf single player games?

I can't imagine not being able to use bows (stealth), make electricity, medicines, concrete or steel because I just don't have enough perk points for them because of the new specialization.

I'm wondering if a18 will really need a sp a19 balance for sp games?

The perk system is mainly engineered for SP, not MP.

You can craft everything in the game without a perk. If anything its 10x less restrictive than A17. Leveling gives you 1 hit point and 1 stamina per level. No need to buy fortitude or agility now unless you want something under it, but most of them are just enhancements not gates any more.

Gods, thank god I'm not a game developer. I think I'd have an aneurysm with too much thinking in doing balancing and all that craziness. :tickled_pink:

Though, would players miss the gas? I just wrenched a wreaked car, the one that is only a frame or chassis and harvested iron, mech parts, electrical parts, polymer, and headlight and obviously gas.

It does make your head hurt at times but I enjoy wrangling the beast. Gas isn't going anywhere, its just being nerfed so players aren't swimming in 5000 gallons without even trying.

I too have to play in 90 fov at least, I have chronic migraine and I suffer a lot with lower FOV, i didn't play A17 at ALL until someone shared the FOV command. (I didn't know of it)

I don't want to be bothering, I know a lot of people already stated this, but please, at least leave the command. Can't play without it.

Much love. Trankitas.

The FOV command isn't going anywhere AFAIK.

Looks better, runs better and plays better. Wider FOV has more stretching on the edges of the screen. Lower FOV gets much better performance. Lower FOV makes it creepier in a POI because you can't see as much and the zombies are much bigger in your face and everything is more immersive because it is drawn larger and closer to the camera.

Firstly, changing FOV does not affect performance. It made no difference to my FPS. Not even 1 frame.

Secondly, the way it looks and it's immersion factor is subjective. In real life we have peripheral vision which isn't in focus, so the slight stretching on the sides is, in my opinion, more natural.

One might say that graphics on ultra make for nice screenshots. Are you going to prevent people from lowering their graphics in case they take ugly screenshots? Of course not. With all due respect Joel...and I do respect you for the magnificent game you've created...but, whether the game has an FOV slider should not be up to your personal aesthetic preferences. You will cut out a portion of your player base if you remove the console command. You've already cut out a portion of the player base (those who don't know the console command exists). I don't know how many people suffer from motion sickness, or how many people use ultra wide screens, so I'm not going to claim it will be a huge number, but still. It is not necessary for you to do that.

I go along with that. Before Fataal posted the console command, I had even considered to stop playing forever due to the missing fov setting. Btw. high fov is great for screenshots ^^

YDwqlkS.jpg

Uh ok. If you like that distorted 90's shooter look.

Wow! Presented as the perfect thing!

But people want, always - more widely FOV. No one wants a narrow FOV - that's a fact.

Narrowing down FOV is just a poor solution to performance problems.

I always think you can find other things to disable. But you know better.

...Dear Joel, your game is not for juvenile casuals and not for the feeble-minded, so, here are people mostly - not stupid. Why do you say things like you think we're fools? Stop it please, this is very conspicuous :)

Why are we even talking about it? Get off your ass and type it into the console lol.

Unity has upcoming changes to garbage collection, which should alleviate hitching/pauses. Of course that would require another Unity upgrade on their end, which I know from experience is a total ♥♥♥♥ show. Also, if they can implement Unity's ECS system for pathfinding and chunk generation, that would help tremendously. Native multithreading is WAY faster than ye-old threading.

We are already using 2019.1 and have the incremental garbage collector activated for A18.

You can add Empyrion and Ark so that even if you remove Fallout 76 you are still one up on the list.

Food spoilage in most games is still a non issue. All it is, is a 10 second distraction. Ark, oh I'm out of food, I'll take my dragon and get 120,000 meat in 10 minutes, I'm good for ages now. Subnautica: Oh it spoiled. Its just not as healthy as it was and I can go outside my base and grab 500 fish in 30 seconds.

Balance is the key here and spoilage is a feature to simulate balance but at the end of the day, all that does is provide you with busy work and is a distraction from goals. We're taking measures to reduce how easy it is to get food from farming by adding nitrate to fertilize the ground and lowering the max yield of crops with perks, etc. I'm not against spoilage, but I'm against adding features when its not even balanced yet.

And the thing is, its not even that great. Food should be an issue early game but later on we want bigger and more interesting problems.

This is just a poor excuse. I ran some benchmarks and there isn't any meaningful performance decrease with a larger fov. Now reflections and shadows on the other hand, massive drop in performance. So by your own logic why aren't those options disabled? why not lock it to 1080p as well while your making questionable decisions. Sorry to be blunt but it has to be said on behalf of everyone that will get sick and stop playing indefinitely.

FOV is off topic now and resolved. Users can type in a console command until we get performance under control. One mans "this has no impact" is another mans Achilles heel.

FOV is off topic now and resolved. Users can type in a console command until we get performance under control. One mans "this has no impact" is another mans Achilles heel.

You just had to say it was temporary. You confused and scared people. Аnd the fact that you come up with cover - makes people to feel that it is forever.

Yes FOV is not free - it increases load proportionally.

We are already using 2019.1 and have the incremental garbage collector activated for A18.

Awesome!

Is that live in 17.3 b18 i.e. the latest Steam experimental version?

Or will it be in next patch or A18?

Food spoilage in most games is still a non issue. All it is, is a 10 second distraction. Ark, oh I'm out of food, I'll take my dragon and get 120,000 meat in 10 minutes, I'm good for ages now. Subnautica: Oh it spoiled. Its just not as healthy as it was and I can go outside my base and grab 500 fish in 30 seconds.

Balance is the key here and spoilage is a feature to simulate balance but at the end of the day, all that does is provide you with busy work and is a distraction from goals. We're taking measures to reduce how easy it is to get food from farming by adding nitrate to fertilize the ground and lowering the max yield of crops with perks, etc. I'm not against spoilage, but I'm against adding features when its not even balanced yet.

And the thing is, its not even that great. Food should be an issue early game but later on we want bigger and more interesting problems.

Apologies. I got sucked in. I’m happy to wait for the balance changes before revisiting the possibility of spoilage.

I think more enemies with varied abilites would help. Now we just have, meleeing zombie, other than 1. Spiders for example when they jump should be able to hit the player for decent damage in a jump attack. Right now spider zombie jumps in front of me I am just like "Oh your delivering yourself to me? how nice *Cracks it over the head with a sledge before it can swing*" One mod I play had feral vultures that could spit at you like cops, they could also take a few whacks too, they were pretty durable.

I think more enemies with varied abilites would help. Now we just have, meleeing zombie, other than 1. Spiders for example when they jump should be able to hit the player for decent damage in a jump attack. Right now spider zombie jumps in front of me I am just like "Oh your delivering yourself to me? how nice *Cracks it over the head with a sledge before it can swing*" One mod I play had feral vultures that could spit at you like cops, they could also take a few whacks too, they were pretty durable.

Feral vultures that vomit are vanilla. We codenamed them Joeltures before release. :)

Archived