Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

How about another power source like the ability to make wind or a water wheel for power options. I get really tired of the generators blaring away and by default, dig the deepest hole I can to plant them in. I look forward to Solar in a major way because generators are so obnoxious.

I was thinking of a hand powered generator. Perhaps one with a stationary bike set up and you could use that to charge battery banks or supply power to your electric fences and traps. Something primitive that would help if you didn’t have a generator up and running yet.

I was thinking of a hand powered generator. Perhaps one with a stationary bike set up and you could use that to charge battery banks or supply power to your electric fences and traps. Something primitive that would help if you didn’t have a generator up and running yet.

I remember riding one of those at Farley Nuclear Plant on a field trip as a kid. I remember how inefficient it was, and how much peddling it took to light a single sixty watt light bulb. I remember learning that to keep a single light bulb burning for one hour I would be peddling for about fifty minutes. Likely closer to forty five out of sixty minutes now that I am no longer a child.

I can not imagine how much peddling it would take to generate the energy needed to run a single wire of electric fence, though I suppose I could start some math. But I do distinctly remember learning as a young child that peddling is not a viable source of energy.

On the Hammer and Forge ideas -

Rank 1: Craft Basic Forge (Same as now) 1 raw gives 5 forge material

Rank 2: 10% smelting speed, 10% more fuel duration, 1 raw gives 6 forge material

Rank 3: Craft Advanced Forge (+1 smelting slot, +25% smelting speed, higher holding capacity, 25% more fuel duration, 1 raw = 7 forge)

Rank 4: Craft Crucible/ Steel, 1 raw gives 8 forge

Rank 5: Craft Advanced Forge ( +2 smelting slots, 50% smelting speed increase, higher holding capacity, 50% longer fuel duration, electric, 1 raw = 10 forge)

Just some ideas

Is there any chance that vehicles can be different colours?

Not just for aesthetics (although that would be nice too) but so that when there's a group of you and you've rolled up and parked together outside a POI it's obvious which vehicle is whose when you're done looting it.

Probably down the road for sure.

How about another power source like the ability to make wind or a water wheel for power options. I get really tired of the generators blaring away and by default, dig the deepest hole I can to plant them in. I look forward to Solar in a major way because generators are so obnoxious.

We have solar power. We could quiet the generators too.

Has anyone suggested using "Zombies" as pets - kinda like guard dogs and if you dont keep them fed right they turn on you... hmmmm?

No for the same reason we aren't having npc followers. Too much cpu cost if everyone is allowed their own zoo.

On the Hammer and Forge ideas -

Rank 1: Craft Basic Forge (Same as now) 1 raw gives 5 forge material

Rank 2: 10% smelting speed, 10% more fuel duration, 1 raw gives 6 forge material

Rank 3: Craft Advanced Forge (+1 smelting slot, +25% smelting speed, higher holding capacity, 25% more fuel duration, 1 raw = 7 forge)

Rank 4: Craft Crucible/ Steel, 1 raw gives 8 forge

Rank 5: Craft Advanced Forge ( +2 smelting slots, 50% smelting speed increase, higher holding capacity, 50% longer fuel duration, electric, 1 raw = 10 forge)

Just some ideas

Not far from what I landed on.

Any more cool books in the works?

The books are done except for some specific functionality and icons for some yet.

Wasteland Treasures Books

Wasteland Treasures: Honey Adds a small chance to harvest honey from trees.

Wasteland Treasures: Coffins Harvest coffins for bones, jewelry and precious gems.

Wasteland Treasures: Acid Adds a small chance to harvest acid from cars and medical equipment

Wasteland Treasures: Water Can craft purified bottled water from coal and murky water (or just clean normal water if purified is OP)

Wasteland Treasures: Doors Can harvest door knobs from doors

Wasteland Treasures: Cloth Can weave plant fibers into cloth.

Wasteland Treasures: Sinks Can harvest more lead and brass from sinks and plumbing

Oh ok, if your down with making a higher tier forge then I'm game.

The electricity part might be a bit much as that's just adding more artificial gating. Imagine a player finally getting the rank to make steel, then finding out he has to perk into electricity and build a bunch of stuff to be able to make it. It could be done if communicated right so they know ahead of time.

For other ranks you can make it so they unlock some really cool recipes:

Steel spikes for base defense

Weapons with cool effects/aesthetics like a skull mace and steel antler knife (something flashy that tells people your a master blacksmith). A weapon that causes vultures to stay away from you (scares them) or exaggerated rag dolls (pretty fun)

Decorative blocks

Bear traps for animals and trapping zombos or popping their legs

Basically stuff that says you are a master of metals

i would also suggest that you could add mods into this suggestion. a "carbon steel edge/hardened edge/hardened face" mod (or whatever name fits) could be added to items to increase durability, damage, etc.

tons of mod options but you get the idea

loving alpha 17.2 so far, really enjoying not having to clean up all the zombie corpses after a horde night (hope not to see that back in) wondering if maybe we could have an option to turn on or off in menu zombie health bars? I know most people don't like to see that but some of us do and to have an option to enable them would be cool.

The books are done except for some specific functionality and icons for some yet.

Wasteland Treasures: Coffins Harvest coffins for bones, jewelry and precious gems.

Wasteland Treasures: Acid Adds a small chance to harvest acid from cars and medical equipment

Wasteland Treasures: Water Can craft purified bottled water from coal and murky water (or just clean normal water if purified is OP)

Wasteland Treasures: Sinks Can harvest more lead and brass from sinks and plumbing

Sounds nice. What's the completion bonus for this series? The 6th one, "Cloth Can weave plant fibers into cloth". Is that a different item from the cloth fragments that we can craft with plant fibers in the current game version?

Hi Joel, today on the stream, the audience offered me an interesting idea.

The idea is that the player can drop all his inventory on the ground except the belt. In this case, a backpack will appear on the ground, as when a character dies, and there will also be a mark on the map where the backpack fell.

When can it be needed? Often!

When you run in the early stages of a game with full inventory and meet a horde, a wolf or a dog, you could temporarily throw all the loot on the ground and get back all the mobility and endurance.

You can say that it is not necessary, as it will be used only in the early stages of the game, but I will tell you that the game already has a lot of things that we use only at the beginning of the game: a stone ax, a stone shovel, a musket, a wooden bow and another and it does not interfere.

Perhaps you could use a chest to do this, but it is a bit slower. Yes, I do think that we shoud have a key for dropping everything, as we have "R" to take everything.

In the chest you drop things one by one ... it's very long, super long! In addition, if you have a full inventory, then how can you make a chest? ))

And if you don't have a tree, how can you make a chest? ) You need to first cut the tree)

I don't think heavy armor affects stamina use, but it slows you down. Anyone can craft vehicles now, but only INT players can craft parts. There is no quality of vehicles any more.

Did you change that then?

Now heavy armor causes a heavy toll on stamina regeneration. I think a full set put you at -9 per second.

LOL yes, keep your exploits to yourself if you want to continue using them :)

On that note, are you guys planning on addressing elevators? I know it is a bit of an exploit but to be honest - I really like to have one for my main entrance of my underground base. Going up a ladder 50 blocks is really annoying and I really do like my new base layout for my bedrock base. I hope you leave that particular exploit in.

Also, any info on the solar panel issue that I mentioned earlier?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh ok, if your down with making a higher tier forge then I'm game.

The electricity part might be a bit much as that's just adding more artificial gating. Imagine a player finally getting the rank to make steel, then finding out he has to perk into electricity and build a bunch of stuff to be able to make it. It could be done if communicated right so they know ahead of time.

For other ranks you can make it so they unlock some really cool recipes:

Steel spikes for base defense

Weapons with cool effects/aesthetics like a skull mace and steel antler knife (something flashy that tells people your a master blacksmith). A weapon that causes vultures to stay away from you (scares them) or exaggerated rag dolls (pretty fun)

Decorative blocks

Bear traps for animals and trapping zombos or popping their legs

Basically stuff that says you are a master of metals

This would only be a concern if power items were not so prevalent at the trader. A full set of traps requires a lot of luck because of all the components that you need but just getting a basic power set up for a forge? That would be easy to do pretty early in the game.

Sounds nice. What's the completion bonus for this series? The 6th one, "Cloth Can weave plant fibers into cloth". Is that a different item from the cloth fragments that we can craft with plant fibers in the current game version?

You cannot craft cloth from fibers currently. You craft it from cotton - fibers are a LOT more common than cotton.

Very Cool.

Will these be displayed in the Perks Screen? In their own separate tab? It's going to be hard as hell to keep track of all the perks you have unlocked if that's not the case. A tab would be invaluable.

i would also suggest that you could add mods into this suggestion. a "carbon steel edge/hardened edge/hardened face" mod (or whatever name fits) could be added to items to increase durability, damage, etc.

tons of mod options but you get the idea

Forge Perk specific mods would be cool. That you can only acquire by crafting them. R3 and R5 Perk

Hi Joel, today on the stream, the audience offered me an interesting idea.

The idea is that the player can drop all his inventory on the ground except the belt. In this case, a backpack will appear on the ground, as when a character dies, and there will also be a mark on the map where the backpack fell.

When can it be needed? Often!

When you run in the early stages of a game with full inventory and meet a horde, a wolf or a dog, you could temporarily throw all the loot on the ground and get back all the mobility and endurance.

You can say that it is not necessary, as it will be used only in the early stages of the game, but I will tell you that the game already has a lot of things that we use only at the beginning of the game: a stone ax, a stone shovel, a musket, a wooden bow and another and it does not interfere.

As one who recently chopped open a military camp tent that was full of dogs while I was encumbered...I support this idea. :)

Archived