Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Still exciting news. One day i will have my own radio station in Ravenhearst!

Until then I will have to settle for some Arnold and a top 10 list :)

I think I speak for all of us when I say either way ambiance is crucial to a game like this and you guys have been kicking ambiances ass since babies cried in the wasteland

I was a little skeptical at first but I love what I've heard so far on the new music system. I let the game run for a few hours while I was working on designs and it never got old or repetitive.

I notice that infected tend to run around spike traps and barbed wires if just 1 is placed right in front of them. Is it possible to have infected not treat wood/iron spikes and barbed wire like an obstacle until they stumble into it?

Anything is possible, but is it worth the effort and is that the best design?

I'm sure this has been asked before...but any chance zombie kids might be included at some point? I know it's dark, but the scares from some kid busting out of a cabinet to bite my legs would be freakin' scary as all get out.

We've talked about it.

I think it’s worth it because what’s the point of having spikes and traps if the zombie ai paths around it. Makes them kind of pointless in my opinion.

I actually think that zombies should avoid them. Sure they are supposedly stupid, but you don't see them running into everything. I think a better way to go about it would be to adjust the way zombies move.

For instance, let's say you have a corridor that is a few blocks wide and a zombie is running down the corridor along an inside wall until it comes to a turn. Momentum should force the zombie closer to the outside wall of the adjoining corridor... which would be a good place to put some spikes.

Another approach could be to make zombies push each other around more (while being careful not to cause clipping through walls). You could then line narrow passages with spikes and force collisions by including some barbed wire (which does work a little right now).

Burying spikes a block down is the obviously easy way to deal with them, but I'm not so sure zombies should be stupid enough for that either.

I was a little skeptical at first but I love what I've heard so far on the new music system. I let the game run for a few hours while I was working on designs and it never got old or repetitive.

This really sound good. Already few fellas from here claimed that want to use that system to create radio stations. I will create a couple, too.

All that, of course, if the game allows it. Geo located radios/help call requests/trade call requests are already airing all around Navezgane in my mind :)

Correct. If we did a poll that said do you want 100 zombies alive on the server, or 20 zombies alive, with thousands of dead corpses... I think we can assume the answer.

That being said I get the point of having bodies lying around after you kill zombies. It would be great on MP servers but would even feel gratifying on solo playthroughs.

Wouldn't it be possible to create a "dead body block" when a zombie dies, that gets "attached" to a single block, just like a random trash pile / backpack would during world gen ? I don't see how that would be very costly in terms of performance, but I might be wrong.

You could always make it an option in the menus for those who don't care, but I really fail to see how it's resource consuming.

I'm sure this has been asked before...but any chance zombie kids might be included at some point? I know it's dark, but the scares from some kid busting out of a cabinet to bite my legs would be freakin' scary as all get out.

Same here !!!

We got Babies in Dead Space.

Give us midget like zombies in 7,days. !!!!

Best scene in I think Dawn of the Dead remake was it, when the small rabid girl ran at dad ? Awesome stuff.

I'd rather not see the traders inventory clogged up with curved iron pipes, an T sections, and whatnot. Instead I was thinking of a radial menu with a timer and the player must collect all these goodies at pois. You want a full set of bar stools? Go find them or steal them from another player who has one. Press E for a radial menu, see the hand icon show up, click on it, wait a few seconds to grab it, and its yours. Then you don't see "Press E to take" on every chair in the game and we can make decorating your base more of a find and bring home event instead of buy at a trader, and the radial option would allow redecorating your base, theft of most blocks, etc.

That's actually a really neat idea. It gives a whole new incentive to go to POIs, you can just grab the stuff you think would look cool in your crib. Kinda like zombie ikea lol

Kinda like zombie ikea lol

That would be an idea for a new POI. A furniture store where you can get the furniture you want. Maybe also with crates in which you can find furniture. Of course you have to deal with the former employees and some customers beforehand.

That would be an idea for a new POI. A furniture store where you can get the furniture you want. Maybe also with crates in which you can find furniture. Of course you have to deal with the former employees and some customers beforehand.

My wife would love that.. hmm.. hell, we may build a furniture store/Ikea ourselves an do a video on it. (we have a playlist of custom POI videos on our channel). And if you could pick up various pieces of decor to take home? That would drive my wife crazy, she is all about the decor. "You found medical supplies? Meh. Look at this cute coffee table!!" she would say. Make it so!

I love the new stamina system, but it is very annoying if you like wearing heavy armor. Is there any way there can be a strength perk that lowers the amount of stamina reduced by armor? I pretty much just ignore all heavy armor not because of it.

I was also wondering if there would be a way to combine the book and perk system. Ie, you can build a bicycle by leveling up perks, but cannot build the other vehicles until you find books? Or you can make steel bullets but not brass without books, ect. A way to still have the real work idea that you would need to understand something before making it. But still having it where you can do basics of things?

Love the game!

I love the new stamina system, but it is very annoying if you like wearing heavy armor. Is there any way there can be a strength perk that lowers the amount of stamina reduced by armor? I pretty much just ignore all heavy armor not because of it.

There are mods in the game that can be used to reduce the stamina cost of the armor. There are the Improved Fittings and the Customized Fittings, whereas the Customized Fittings are better.

My wife would love that.. hmm.. hell, we may build a furniture store/Ikea ourselves an do a video on it. (we have a playlist of custom POI videos on our channel). And if you could pick up various pieces of decor to take home? That would drive my wife crazy, she is all about the decor. "You found medical supplies? Meh. Look at this cute coffee table!!" she would say. Make it so!

Seeing how awesome the Library POI came out I would LOVE an IKEA from you guys!

Imagine what you guys could do with this! :)

*frantically locates download for wife brownie points*

Thanks Jax! And we appreciate the compliment; means a lot, particularly from a talented modder!

I was also wondering if there would be a way to combine the book and perk system. Ie, you can build a bicycle by leveling up perks, but cannot build the other vehicles until you find books? Or you can make steel bullets but not brass without books, ect. A way to still have the real work idea that you would need to understand something before making it. But still having it where you can do basics of things?

Love the game!

I don't think heavy armor affects stamina use, but it slows you down. Anyone can craft vehicles now, but only INT players can craft parts. There is no quality of vehicles any more.

any chance of us getting a bomb rack for the gyrocopter, would love to be able to dive bomb wandering hordes with a mix of Molotov's and pipe bombs. Maybe able to have smoke grenades added for multiplayer air support?

There is a chance, just not right away.

I would constantly rerotate all stuff that my buddy build, just to confuse him when he joins back.

The idea is awesome, keep up mister.

Archived