Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

If you figure out a repro.... let us know please. Are you hitting a specific object?

When it happens to me I hear the sound of like hitting rock (?) on the edge of the road and the terrain. Or when the road has a bump (some sharp and not high elevation).

Like the terrain 'looks' smooth but actually isn't.

Oh don't confuse my personal tastes for what I think is a great perk to have in the game. I slowly like to make my games harder and harder for additional challenge, like Skyrim I turn up the difficulty, added survival mods, weather mods, combat mods etc. I feel more reward for overcoming impossible odds.

So I design perks people that I think people will like. Like if I ever get down to 25% loot, maybe lucky looter will feel essential then. I personally would rather wait to see good loot and spend perks on smashing heads faster. I can level and have lucky looter for free, so I think its a waste. Kind of like saving money and buying an expensive item with cash, its a waste to pay interest on payments. My pragmatic nature I suppose.

My fort build I didn't buy one lucky looter perk and it was my favorite game. I didn't get a minigun until level 50+ I think. I had an amazing ak so that had to do.

My next game was perception and I bought 3 ranks of it I think and it seemed to change the economy and I felt like I was shorted the fun of grinding my way up naturally.

My current game on day 21 with a q2 double barrel shotgun. Its a piece of crap but its all I have :D The trader had a q3 pump but I passed on it, I thought I'd get something better by now but I haven't. But I have more fun scrounging than having it all handed to me. It feels more rewarding I guess, Im in it for a 100+ hour game so I don't want it to feel over at 50 hours because I have all the great gear already.

Well, just because "in time" you'll have lucky looter for free doesn't mean you wouldn't save a ton of time getting it early. The extra time spent killing zombies because you don't pop as many heads early is made up for by having better tools/weapons imo.

That being said I don't play with it because I like the organic progression and it feels cheesy to just dump points into an unfun perk (as in, there's absolutely no active effect other than looting better stuff) and get rewarded for it.

But then again I'm also playing traderless for the same reasons, it just feels too easy hitting up a random guy in the middle of nowhere that gives me access to (way better quality) stuff, schematics and workstations for absolutely no reason. Personal taste I guess, I like the feeling of raw scavenging and progressing with what I find. We are very excited in our game cause we found the minibike handlebars & chassis recipes, so we only lack the seat in order to craft them. It might never drop but hey, it still feels better than going to a guy and clicking a button to have it.

Also if I'm not mistaken, traders are much better for SP than MP, because even though you can share quests, the rewards go to the one guy who started the quest, and in a group of 3 if you wanna stick together that means that only 1/3 quest gives you a reward, which is very subpar.

When it happens to me I hear the sound of like hitting rock (?) on the edge of the road and the terrain. Or when the road has a bump (some sharp and not high elevation).

Like the terrain 'looks' smooth but actually isn't.

Good to know as everything you just said fits in to why I believe this is happening and goes along with my repro steps. I was second guessing myself if I actually found the right way to repro it. thanks for posting those details! *fist bump*

I love the ragdoll on zombies but when I'm hunting I hate to see the rare prey flying out of existance or into orbit.

Can the ragdoll effect for animals PLEASE be lowered.

(I'm tired of eating vegetable stew all the time since I found out you need two points into Iron Gut to not get sick)

Good to know as everything you just said fits in to why I believe this is happening and goes along with my repro steps. I was second guessing myself if I actually found the right way to repro it. thanks for posting those details! *fist bump*

What I saw was a smooth road and when I heard the sound in a flash I could see that bump in the road that was not there before nor after. Like a block is in a 'low' state and when touching it, it becomes 'elevated'. Like quantum physics lol

question:

I failed one of the fetch quests, by leaving the zone before I got the materials. I just needed some more stones for my axe and it thought I was leaving and failed.

Now I can't delete the quest from my quest log. And the trader does not reoffer it.

Is it a bug, or am I just a dumb-head?

Added zombie super rage.

Does that mean that a zombie in rage mode then goes to a higher level of rage mode where it is even faster ? I had the impression that it was already there. Sometimes when I hit a zombie in rage mode he seems to accelerate further.

What I saw was a smooth road and when I heard the sound in a flash I could see that bump in the road that was not there before nor after. Like a block is in a 'low' state and when touching it, it becomes 'elevated'. Like quantum physics lol

That makes perfect sense. What I did to force the motorcycle to shoot directly up in the sky and fall back down was...hard to explain..I forced the bike to hit an incline that made the bikes orientation rabidly maybe even instantly change. exactly what would happen if a bump suddenly appeared or the terrain loads in and some how hits the bike causing it to fly. Not sure how to explain it, I'll be making a video showing how its done before I submit the report. I have a strong feeling its a tiny bump that is causing some of these vehicles to go flying in the sky.

They weren't worth it, now they are too good? I don't think so. Its fine. The only issue is it repeats the same quest because there is a leash on how far it will send you, I'd rather never see a duplicate POI quest and travel 15 km than go 300 meters 20 times in a row. I don't repeat quests btw it feels cheesy to me after doing it a few times.

Could it be possible that even with a high gamestage you can choose between Tier 3 to Tier 5 quests?

Playing on a busy server it is often the only chance to get the better loot by doing quests. There are not many Tier 5 quests, even Tier 4 is limited.

ok...will still need to come up with repro steps for staying attached. The way I figured out how to seems to kick me from the vehicle right before it gets shot up and then falls back to the ground. more work to be done..damn lol. i dont care if it takes the next 18 hours straight ill figure out to remain attached. be back when i figure it out. thanks for all the info, it really has helped me a lot. :)

Side note, found 3 funny aas bugs with motorcycle while hunting.

I've also seen (while flying toward my base or a friends) a minibike/motorcycle goes flying into the air then falls to the ground all by itself, no one on it, it's just resting in the front lawn.. when we check the vehicles, damage has been done so it's not just a graphical anomaly on our part. I've also encountered this (only once so far) my gyrocopter, while flying, would shoot upwards at great speed and fall (albeit controllable as to not crash)

I've also seen (while flying toward my base or a friends) a minibike/motorcycle goes flying into the air then falls to the ground all by itself, no one on it, it's just resting in the front lawn.. when we check the vehicles, damage has been done so it's not just a graphical anomaly on our part. I've also encountered this (only once so far) my gyrocopter, while flying, would shoot upwards at great speed and fall (albeit controllable as to not crash)

yeah I suspected that when the ground loads in it hits the bike some how and causes it to shoot up. I tried to force this to happen but had no luck. I'm waiting for update before further testing ways to reproduce it. I've thought of 5 ways it can be done and so far 1 of them works. lots more testing will be done.

Edit: The 1 reproducible way I found will launch a vehicle straight up with no one driving it. Will find a way to do it while driving, hopefully before stable.

Higher tier weapons are found in those super crates at the end of a POI.

Got my m60 off the trader. My god that gun is fun to use.

- - - Updated - - -

any chance of changing the perk of master chef from faster cooking to less recourses used when cooking?

How about master chef perk taking off the chance for food poisoning. Would make sense in so many ways, shocked it's not in there.

Carla. Penne's nose is a complete train wreck and she's way too skinny.

Yes! Me to but I don’t mind skinny.

So, who is hotter? Carla Esparza or Paige VagZant?

I’m sticking with Carla, I’m betting you will go with Paige tho :(

Big fan of Carla here but I think she may be too tiny to actually compete at the highest level :(

+1 to this !

Players need MORE encouragement to go outside their comfort zone for any rewards. Trader system is already basically handing out gear with (buried stash) quests that are too easy in respect to their rewards.

If the stick is so short that the donkey can just eat the carrot, what is the point of the stick ? May as well just hand the donkey the carrot without all the hoopla.

My buried stash sucked. Dont know if I was just unlucky or what.

If buried treasure are so good maybe set them to only spawn in the wasteland? But gotta be honest I would not do them unless I started getting good ones.

Yes! Me to but I don’t mind skinny.

So, who is hotter? Carla Esparza or Paige VagZant?

I’m sticking with Carla, I’m betting you will go with Paige tho :(

Big fan of Carla here but I think she may be too tiny to actually compete at the highest level :(

Who's hotter: Me or Trankitas?

I love the ragdoll on zombies but when I'm hunting I hate to see the rare prey flying out of existance or into orbit.

Can the ragdoll effect for animals PLEASE be lowered.

(I'm tired of eating vegetable stew all the time since I found out you need two points into Iron Gut to not get sick)

Since A18 came out I scoffed food in tins like a crazy man. Meat off the bone too and not once got sick.

Lucky or due to playing on default difficulty I do not know.

Archived