Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I didn't get all the tech bits, but I do know they tagged all the POIS which means more pois can spawn so we're updating the pregen maps, so obviously they will be different. Some splat changes too, so there might be visual errors. If you back up your map and overwrite it you could keep playing, just remember it might get stomped in an update. I'm just going to start over, this should be the last wipe IMO, or I'll roll my own map.

What I will do is first check my characters level,

then update the game,

then in the quest.xml file, change the starter quest points to my level+4.

Not too bad except for loss of equipment and forts!

Anyway, a high level character should be able to "Blitz" through POI's with a wooden club!

I would expect to have most my useful equipment back in by Day 7. :)

Food is not that much of an issue at all.

However, this is the first time I have felt compelled to farm at all.

The reason is red and goldenrod tea. I'm on day 7 in my current game and have over 100 red teas already brewed... but I have pretty much wiped out the population within a reasonable radius of my base and I don't want to struggle with it next week.

I always thought coffee and aloe would be worth farming but I just never did it. So, I'll be growing a bit of that too.

This food poisoning thing makes no sense to me and seems very backwards. As far as I know old cans of food would have a much higher chance of making you sick then something you hunted and cooked. I personally throw away old cans of food for that reason but am very happy to eat something I've killed and have never got sick from it. I mean really would you get sick that often when eating bacon and eggs I sure don't.

Plants and animals you use to make fresh food all have a residual toxicity left over from the apocalypse. Canned food, made before the apocalyptic event is still fine though.

I just made that up but it's a small stretch to come up with a justification for it.

I just had my first 7th day horde in A18. I thought we got rid of A17 master engineer zombies? After a couple of random hit on my walls. All the zed huddle around 1 section of my wall and chew a 1x2x2 hole through my 2 layers wall and ate me. They completely ignore me attacking and trying to kite them to a different area. I check and beside the B line 4 blocks they break to get to me, they barely damage about 5 other blocks (from the beginning) in my 20x20 wall.

Did anyone else got this or am I just somehow unlucky? I really don't want to cheese the game with pathing exploit.

is it just me or are lead nodes everywhere?

Last night when I was trying to find coal node to make some gunpowder it certainly felt like that. On the other hand I also found 3 nitrate nodes next to each other - all in forest biome where lead is a dominant ore, besides iron. I also ventured into snow biome where there were also lots of lead nodes...

I like the idea that you have to go out and look for stuff, maybe just a little tweak to lead nodes is needed so they aren't that abundant in the world. In desert I noticed the same thing with shale nodes, but than again you consume much more gas now for vehicles and molotows.

- - - Updated - - -

I just had my first 7th day horde in A18. I thought we got rid of A17 master engineer zombies? After a couple of random hit on my walls. All the zed huddle around 1 section of my wall and chew a 1x2x2 hole through my 2 layers wall and ate me. They completely ignore me attacking and trying to kite them to a different area. I check and beside the B line 4 blocks they break to get to me, they barely damage about 5 other blocks (from the beginning) in my 20x20 wall.

Did anyone else got this or am I just somehow unlucky? I really don't want to cheese the game with pathing exploit.

But that is a great spot to throw down a molotow and thin the herd. Grenades are even better :p

I think death is very cheap.

Not enough punishment.

I Lost Some Xp

No problem, I kill some zombie and Xp comes back in a second.

I think...

- Lose all current (Xp bar) XP

- Lose 1 point from hightest Attributes

(Perception, Strenght, Fortitude, Agility, Intellect)

Not enough punishment.

I Lost Some Xp

I think...

Lupius, it seems that you are a veteran at 7 days, and your suggestion may work well for you and other experienced players, but i think the base game should be a bit friendlier to new players than your idea. maybe for when the game goes gold some kind of option for death penalty to cover all types of players...

AWESOME NEWS, faatal has found some good gains already, and I was combing through lots of new models and discovered texture streaming wasn't enabled on tons of them so the vram issue will either be dead or drastically improved in the next patch :)

Good to hear! Keep it up :) A18 is the best version of the game I've played (I started in A9 or A10).

- - - Updated - - -

Yo, you know I'm having problems with money, help a brother out!

Okay, I'll do everything for you!

*Puts on pink G-string*

- - - Updated - - -

OHHHHHHHHH S%$t I NEED SOME GOD $%#$ TISSUES

You got very emotional and tear-eyed all of a sudden? :)

OMG! lucky set a vacation months ago, perfect timing. THIS IS AMAZING, it's SOOOOO good. I have been on this ride since 9, and it gets better each time!!!! all we need now is late game (big quests, save a town, defeat the Duke, give trader huge amounts of supplies to add on to their fort, which gives you more people to trade with. you know a bigger purpose). Then call it done, I am so happy, this is seriously amazing thank you so much for the countless hours of fun!!!!!

Alpha 18 looks good.

Alpha 18 feels great.

But....

Boiled Water has a chance for Dysentery by 3%.

Cocked Food has Food Poisoning between 4 an 13 %.

Food Can do not have Food Poisoning.

WHAT?!?

Why should i make a garden with Plants?

Why should i go to hunt Animals anymore?

Just wait for a Airdrop and feel lucky.

Please tell me that this is a mistake and wil be fixed.

Please

Alpha 18 looks good.

Alpha 18 feels great.

But....

WHAT?!?

Please

The idea is probably to balance the food system, such that cans are the safest to eat, but require active looting. (just enough drops not to starve)

Whereas farming and hunting gets a drawback, but can be alleviated by goldenrod-tea.

I personally would solve that with a food spoilage system and requirement or active farming (watering, fertilizing or such).

This would prevent overstocking on food even in late game.

The idea is probably to balance the food system, such that cans are the safest to eat, but require active looting. (just enough drops not to starve)

Whereas farming and hunting gets a drawback, but can be alleviated by goldenrod-tea.

I personally would solve that with a food spoilage system and requirement or active farming (watering, fertilizing or such).

I havent gotten farm into food creation yet but hopefully the risks are reduced or mitigated by making the better foods (or at least the benefits outweigh the risks). Will comment more on this later.

Not enough punishment.

I Lost Some Xp

I think...

OR you can just play where it deletes everything you have when you die and stop trying to ruin dying for the rest of us.

FAVALES ACADEMY Alma-mater song (Sung with a wrench across your heart)

Favales Academy oh we so love you!

Our friends all had engines,

now we got some too!

Those three buses we'll remember,

like dear family and friend,

as we wrenched the crap out of them...

to the very end!

:)

Alpha 18 looks good.

Alpha 18 feels great.

But....

WHAT?!?

Please

im not surprised you get food poisoning if you go around sticking your man bits into it :p

Boilde (cooked) Water has a chance for Dysentery?

I learn to cook with the Master Chef Perk

and get Food Poisoning?

Nope, this is not a balance of the Food System.

Everyone knows, that a Food Can that gets over

the expiration Date has a chance for Food Poisoning.

The only thing you now have to farm is the Goldenrod

to cure yourself?

That must be a mistake

Archived