Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Absolutely correct.

If you use the "cheap" foods only then food poisoning will affect you much more, especially if you insist on filling up to 100%.

The higher tier foods make this much easier.

I doubt the players will switch to higher tier food.

After all, they need a garden and have to find the recipes for the food or spend skill points on Living of the Land and Master Chef.

It is more likely for me that the players will simply buy all the canned food they can get from the vending machines.

After all, they need a garden and have to find the recipes for the food or spend skill points on Living of the Land and Master Chef.

It is more likely for me that the players will simply buy all the canned food they can get from the vending machines.

Which makes me think, for each level, there should be 1 point for combat perks and 1 point for non-combat perks.

Which makes me think, for each level, there should be 1 point for combat perks and 1 point for non-combat perks.

That may over complicate and skew current balance. If poisoning / Dire rear becomes an issue to fix, just make a water filtration mod available for campfire, and mineral water a recipe in chem stations (can find those around). For food add a recipe for each tier with low calorie and 0 poison chance. I dont mind the system as it is, but I can see how some will find it getting old pretty quick. Another easier method is to just have an option for it in settings.

My feedback would be that Living off the Land, Master Chef, and Iron Gut were all in the same perk tree.

I would also put Animal Tracker and The Huntsman in a tree together as well or combine them into one perk.

i think this is how the food system should works!

Can foods still dont give food poisoning.

but for complex recipes for food like meat stew , hobo stew , sham chowder ect won't give you food poisoning.

however cooked meat and easy to make food can still affect you with food poisoning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also i think that when you die you lose the 25% xp and your states are reduced. but in order to recover you need to get your xp back!

It's almost inevitable that players will find recipes of higher tier foods. So where is the problem?

Boilde (cooked) Water has a chance for Dysentery?

I learn to cook with the Master Chef Perk

and get Food Poisoning?

That must be a mistake

No. The rationale is that cooked food is spoiled by something in the air (radiation, poison..., who knows?).

And you can easily deal with food poisoning:

1) Eat a vitamine before food and you are safe

2) Have spare food. All food poisoning does is make you barf and you have to eat again. On average just a higher food consumption.

It's almost inevitable that players will find recipes of higher tier foods. So where is the problem?

No. The rationale is that cooked food is spoiled by something in the air (radiation, poison..., who knows?).

2) Have spare food. All food poisoning does is make you barf and you have to eat again. On average just a higher food consumption.

oh i though they cure food poisoning. im dumb

I just had my first 7th day horde in A18. I thought we got rid of A17 master engineer zombies? After a couple of random hit on my walls. All the zed huddle around 1 section of my wall and chew a 1x2x2 hole through my 2 layers wall and ate me. They completely ignore me attacking and trying to kite them to a different area. I check and beside the B line 4 blocks they break to get to me, they barely damage about 5 other blocks (from the beginning) in my 20x20 wall.

Did anyone else got this or am I just somehow unlucky? I really don't want to cheese the game with pathing exploit.

This is how it is intended. Zombies exploit weak spots.

Cheese the game, built ticker walls, lead them through gauntlets, make sea of spikes, have multiple defense points or higher up defense points. Throw molotovs at groups of zombies as Balth said. There are so many possibilites to deal with it.

I feel that the death penalty is a bit too forgiving now. I think that on top of the XP deficit, you should have the XP progress towards your next level reset. As it stands now death is inconsequential.

This would just add an unfair random element to death. Die shortly before level-up and you are penalized 4 times as much as someone dying directly after level up.

Just change the death penalty to 50% or 75% of a level if you think it too easy, on average that is the same result but not random.

I have a question about food...

1. Crafted high qualify food (Stew, etc) has a change of food poisoning. why? I know food spoils but I just made it.

2. if food I make can spoil, when will I be able to can food since that does not spoil?

PS: if I made food at home and it spoiled right away no one would eat! :)

I have a question about food...

1. Crafted high qualify food (Stew, etc) has a change of food poisoning. why? I know food spoils but I just made it.

2. if food I make can spoil, when will I be able to can food since that does not spoil?

PS: if I made food at home and it spoiled right away no one would eat! :)

For those asking why it's simple to see just do a bit of research. FAT TOM

(oh by the way Food spoilage is NOT the biggest danger for food poisoning)

Im led to think that TFP may not be interested in farming BUT what if farmed foods offered no chance at poisoning. It would make sense since you are planting fresh vegetation and preparing the ground etc. Meat makes sense but veggies kind of do not.

It could put a greater emphasis on farming. And give people a renewable alternative to canned food?

For those asking why it's simple to see just do a bit of research.

really? you post an insomnia food safety video?

I cook from scratch and hunt and prep field game/fish and have consumed resources that I have had to process/prep/purify in the wild.

no more sleepy videos :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, some will. Others will just keep complaining about unfair it all is. =P

Define Higher tier food? is stew not higher tier? or is canned food the higher tier?

homemade stew that has been cooked properly will be just as good or better than a can of chemically preserved food.

Im led to think that TFP may not be interested in farming BUT what if farmed foods offered no chance at poisoning. It would make sense since you are planting fresh vegetation and preparing the ground etc. Meat makes sense but veggies kind of do not.

It could put a greater emphasis on farming. And give people a renewable alternative to canned food?

Again a misconception, poorly washed or grown in compost foods have a greater chance if contaminated with e coli see recent outbreak in Europe around cucumbers. But as game mechanics it is want ever the game play dictates.

Or download my new mod lol

This is how it is intended. Zombies exploit weak spots.

Cheese the game, built ticker walls, lead them through gauntlets, make sea of spikes, have multiple defense points or higher up defense points. Throw molotovs at groups of zombies as Balth said. There are so many possibilites to deal with it.

The thing is I remember Fataal or Gazz mention that they switch it up with the zombie ai so it a bit more random (don't quote me on this). Instead I had a whole horde punching a single block after a little while. Maybe I remember wrong and they meant future alpha, hence I want to confirm it again with a staff.

I died because I honestly wasn't expecting a17.4 engineer zombies again plus that was the first 7th day so I didn't expect much and only got a double layer wall up. Gonna have to check this out in my test world. The reason I hate "smart" zombie is I can set it up and it become duck hunt. In fact I've already made a drop trap in my test world (because they're fun to mess with).

Oh, some will. Others will just keep complaining about unfair it all is. =P

im fine with the food system.

but IMO it kinda makes no sense

you have food that has been laying in a truck , or in a old shelf and its still really fresh!

then you have a very well cooked meal and you still can get sick.

but thats a may just be me!

So when a nuclear bomb goes off and the radiati9n floats to the ...... where does it go... does it go oh I not allowed on the ground and stay air borne lol.

Ofc it goes on the ground and radiates it making it uneatable or at least you get poisoned by what you grow and eat from it. This system makes total sense and 100% see what tfp are doing.

im fine with the food system.

but IMO it kinda makes no sense

you have food that has been laying in a truck , or in a old shelf and its still really fresh!

then you have a very well cooked meal and you still can get sick.

but thats a may just be me!

The canned food is in a can it was sheltered from the nuclear fall out and ensuing virus spreading.

Where as the ground and any living thing animal and hooman that has been in contact with it is infected/carrying it etc.. make a total sense.

For tfp to come up with a actual story behind something makes me also believe this system is a final system. Maybe a bit of a touch up here n there but it should stay.. other then that mods can change things later to that people make that they are not happy with etc

Archived