Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I am playing an archery/blade build. While I found a decent level hunting knife, it is day 13 and I still have found no parts or wooden bows (other than my level 1 wooden bow I got in day 2). The trader also doesn’t seem to have any —- I don’t like crossbows, any suggestion on finding bow parts? Day 14 is coming up faste :-)

Electrical really needs a full set of logic gates. ... Minecraft... just sayin.

As much as I love that kind of stuff in games, I don’t see this game having enough uses for it to justify the effort needed to put it in. If they did put it in, they would be busy for a very long time trying to come up with enough unique electrical consumers to give those things purpose. Nobody would use them for the game as it is right now. Who’s going to make a complex logic circuit to turn on a light or open a garage door?

I decided to go with an agility build. Pregen03 is a desert spawn, with the trader being in the center of 3 desert towns. The vultures were annoying in the beginning, but I was able to keep my health topped off with aloe and the vultures (and chickens) became a decent source of feathers. It's good to have so many arrows when I miss a third of my shots. Fast-forward a bit, did a lot of quests and got a few gear upgrades. I was lucky enough to find a crucible and made 300 steel bars. Thanks to some timely trader purchases, my 4x4 will be done before Day 21.

Might be one of those "better gameplay than sense" decisions... Canned goods are finite, whereas cooked food is not, so perk yourself for end game when you run out of canned goods.

I hear that and am sure this was why but still makes no sense you would think actually balancing food or making foods have spoilage would have been a much better solution than "better gameplay than sense" but I don't think we're ever going to win the battle on that one. It's also not the late game this even matters on it's early game that I've seen people having problems with when they don't have hardly any canned food and only have things they've cooked. I don't know it just makes no sense to me and I don't think it ever will.

Stun Batons seem kinda strange the way they work. I'd have it so regular attack is just basically a club and if you want the shock then you use the heavy attack and it would aoe also. It would be more tactical and straight forward like that.

The way they are now is kinda goofy in actual combat.

I don't used the heavy attack at all and I shock them quite a bit of the time.

But lets say the same knife you use to kill a zombie you also clean your next deer kill with, or the table your preparing your food on has zombie juice on it or something. Makes sense just backwards from how it used to be is all.

giphy.gif

Probably not, people just need to learn the new system. Maybe we need a storage helper instead that has all the cupboards and crates in it.

It’s a great idea, we just need even more things that work the same way so it’s not some anomaly in a sea of items that follow standard crafting. There are a good number, but they seem to reside mostly within 2 categories.

Maybe if the plant fiber clothing items were a group, people would figure it out on day one with the starter quest??

This food poisoning thing makes no sense to me and seems very backwards. As far as I know old cans of food would have a much higher chance of making you sick then something you hunted and cooked. I personally throw away old cans of food for that reason but am very happy to eat something I've killed and have never got sick from it. I mean really would you get sick that often when eating bacon and eggs I sure don't.

Nuclear fallout and the zombie virus has tainted pretty much everything except pre war canned goods.

I feel that the death penalty is a bit too forgiving now. I think that on top of the XP deficit, you should have the XP progress towards your next level reset. As it stands now death is inconsequential.

Do you play where you drop nothing on death too? Could make it delete all on death if you want.

Nuclear fallout and the zombie virus has tainted pretty much everything except pre war canned goods.

Not bad. You should run with that.

Nuclear fallout mutating some virus or fungal spores is not a unique idea, but strengthening the concept by having several examples at the same time in a story would be. When a movie or series goes this route, we only hear about the source of the zombies... but if something causes the mutation of one virus, isn't likely to mutate several?

It would be pretty cool if you just made up diseases instead of trying to work in what exists in reality right now and to have some actual lore in the game about them.

Yeah I was watching a couple streams and everyone was saying that TFP removed the storage boxes. Maybe moving the furniture helper to the basic first list of primitive items would help? Get people curious about it?

You can craft the small chests they hold plenty of stuff. Furniture helper is not basic it takes nails to craft. I think a storage helper will work, unless we throw nails out and just let people craft various storage from plain wood.

I feel that the death penalty is a bit too forgiving now. I think that on top of the XP deficit, you should have the XP progress towards your next level reset. As it stands now death is inconsequential.

Whatever dude, wait til you die at level 80 and lost an hour or two of progress. Maybe they nerfed it, it was 25% I think when that happened to me.

AWESOME NEWS, faatal has found some good gains already, and I was combing through lots of new models and discovered texture streaming wasn't enabled on tons of them so the vram issue will either be dead or drastically improved in the next patch :)

Buddy I am rootin' for you folks!

I hear that and am sure this was why but still makes no sense you would think actually balancing food or making foods have spoilage would have been a much better solution than "better gameplay than sense" but I don't think we're ever going to win the battle on that one. It's also not the late game this even matters on it's early game that I've seen people having problems with when they don't have hardly any canned food and only have things they've cooked. I don't know it just makes no sense to me and I don't think it ever will.

Who doesn't have loads of canned food? What game are you playing?

Go hunting and kill everything you see, cook and eat it. throw up>? big deal keep eating.

Buy food from traders if you have to.

Buy food from various vending machines in the world if you have to.

Tier 1 dig quests give lots of food.

Air drops have food

All cupboards have food.

End of poi loot rooms sometimes have shamway crates which drop food.

Taking vitamins prevents any chance of food poisoning, so take a vitamin and eat 50 rotten flesh if you want.

The only player who could possibly have a problem is the sit on your ass hiding underground mining for a week at a time player.

I just think you are simply being stubborn to change, its the best version of food we've ever had. New players will just get it and like it.

Archived