What's the most captivating part of A17?

What's the most captivating part of A17?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What's the most captivating part of A17?

• New vehicles & redone vehicle physics
    • Improved artificial intelligence/pathing for zombies
    • World building (new quests with dialogue, integrated with lots of new dungeon-style POIs)
    • Overhauled weapons (weapon mods, tinting, power moves)
    • Mod-friendly changes (POI Editor, terrain editor, increased block limit)
    • Redesigned player stats & UI (health/stamina/fullness/thirst; bars for XP, HP, and stealth)
    • Engine update & technical/performance improvements
    • World art improvements (water renderer, remastered biomes, new block shapes & textures, etc.)
    • Character art/animation improvements (zombie ragdolls, player mocap, new deer, animal fixes)
    • Other (anything not listed here, including any unannounced features)

Thanks to KingSlayerGM for the suggestion to do this poll. I can only do 10 options, so I've done my best to cover the major areas. To keep things interesting, I'm not simply framing the question as which of these is the coolest, but which has captured your attention the most. Which have you watched most closely? When you think about Alpha 17, to which of these is the biggest part of your brain dedicated?

Of the nine listed changes in the list, the ones that have captured my attention the most are the AI and Worldbuilding - but that's because they're the two things that I think will cause me to like A17 less than A16 so they're changes I'm worried about, rather than changes I'm excited about.

I'm just hoping that their implementation doesn't turn me off the game completely.

If I have to choose one it would be redesigned player stats (I don't care much about UI), because I am hoping that they will make many survival activities more meaningful for a more interesting gameplay. I am fairly certain that worldbuilding will actually detract from the game, at least at its first iterations - the game will never become "fallout" - but it has the potential of dramatically improving the game if implemented correctly. And the thing I can't care less about is new vehicles.

This should be multiple choice.

1. obviously improved AI... this is something I have waited for since I joined in A8... but I doubt they will fix all the issues... so this feature alone wouldnt make me "come back" to A17

2. Vehicles (NOT gyrocopter! I hope it doesnt make it into A17 -.-) bicicle and car... LOVE this! Finally beeing able to have a lategame vehicle with more storage and duo(quad) seat... awesome!

3. ragdolls! oh how i hated always KNOWING that a zombie wasn't dead... now... unless i get close to it (and see no "open inventory) I dont know if they actually died or if they will come after me if i turn around to face the other zombies!

4. world art! I love the new lighting and new trees and new pois that look spookier!

things I absolutly couldnt care less about:

world building. Questsystem is extremly basica nad barebones and the dungeons are completly irrelevant, since i can simply break everything in my way. Nice for roleplaying i guess... but nothing in here for me.

overhauled weapons. also looks very bare boned and unfinished... maybe aas soon as i play it, I change my mind and its awesome... right now... I feel like the old system was a bit better... (only 6 qualitys makes progression a lot more stale)

I have to wait and see:

everything else... not very excited... but not ancious and like that the game progresses.

*edit* well... already 2 worldbuilding fans... huh... never thought this sandbox would have many of u :D

I knew tfp's wanted to go more into a roleplaying direction... but I never thought anyone else wanted that... I stand corrected :D

(still nothing for me though :D since im a "min/maxer"... I dislike to die and want to reach lategame to build awesome stuff to defend against the hordes! :D

Crater is being mean! I gotta pick one!? That ain't gonna be easy.

Edit: Ok, so I picked World Building, but I could almost as easily gone for the technical/engine improvements (really hoping that allows me to up the Zombie count), better pathfinding or the overhauled weapons. More mod friendly too is a big draw card as we see what our dedicated and ever inventive modders come up with.

Yeah, one is tough. If you could open the poll to top 2 or 3, I wonder how the results would have turned out.

1. AI improved: It will be a refresh IMHO. Some exploits fixed, means that now there will be new exploits to discover. It is not self-evolving. I will have fun discovering new ways to beat the brainless horde. That's why I say 'refresh'.

2. New vehicles: Although the game already has a vehicle. Without the gyro, nothing really new here, just slightly better.

3. Performance Update (my vote): This is the only thing that a mod cannot do. All of the other things already exist in some of the mods. But the better the mod, the more taxing on the performance. If they improve performance, then 64 zombie horde nights and massive mods and large player structures will not turn into slide shows where you don't get your reload animation anymore.

AI and pathing for me hands down. The rest are great too but the new game smell is coming from faatal.

Yeah, one is tough. If you could open the poll to top 2 or 3, I wonder how the results would have turned out.

Muddied.

I wasn't aware of the mod-friendly changes, sounds nice.

I ended up choosing world building. The RPG features are something I've been looking forward to for a long time.

The new weapon system as well as the technical improvements hold my interest too.

I think the the most captivating things are the new things, the new content, such as new quests line, or new vehicles...

Things like AI or better animations, you always expected them to be fixed. They were kind of due.

But I'll really enjoy watching players on my servers use the age-old exploits for easy survival on horde nights get absolutely wrecked.

I am evil. :playful:

But I'll really enjoy watching players on my servers use the age-old exploits for easy survival on horde nights get absolutely wrecked.

Ah, the sweet sound of anguished exploits being trampled by a horde of zombies.

AI and pathing for me hands down. The rest are great too but the new game smell is coming from faatal.

Muddied.

AI for me as well, though I also like the fact guns are getting silencers finally. I mostly avoided them below A17 unless using a mod that has a silencer as they are horrid for exploring poi's due to the noise and how it wakes everything up, and these are some of the noisest zombies i've ever seen in a game.

Vechicles not falling thru the world anymore is going to be nice, I am so tired of having to take the tires off my minibike each time I walk away from it XD in a16.

It's a bit telling that the new vehicle-system and weapon-system, heavily showcased by MM, are hardly getting any votes.

Well, lets be honest, its just more vechicles, the main purpose they serve for people is getting around and mobile storage. Except nwo insted of just one the minibike we now have 4 tiers: bike->minibike->motorcycle->jeep, which each latter one having more storage. The gun stuff has been done by many player made mods already so thats probally why the lack of excitement for it. Mind you its was never as extensive as the offical stuff, and it'll be easy to mod in some new mods according to whats been said about the system.

I voted without seeing the previous results, and I am surprised most ppl voted the same as me: pathing.

I voted it because of a non direct change (if the pathing is really better). For me, better pathing means zombies wont get stuck while trying to reach you, and that means I will be able to do different base defenses which just resulted in bugged zombies before.

So for me, the pathing changes is a base defense variety improvement.

AI/pathing is huge for me. If that doesn't see serious improvement, I doubt the other additions will make a significant difference to me. No point in modded weapons if the zombie threat doesn't become an actual threat (beyond the cheese that is dog/wolf hordes).

Engine improvements & ragdolls are a close second, I hope it improves combat by reducing stutter and glitchy movement.

Don't really care about more vehicles. I guess running over a zombie or two could be fun, but otherwise they just seem like re-skinned minibikes with some extra storage slots. Having a bike as an intermediate travel option seems good though, but only if the minibike isn't so easy to get anymore (I had it in the first week in all my A16 playthroughs).

I doubt the NPC's & questing in this game will ever come close to being actually interesting. Feels tacked on and way too jokey for any immersion so far, but maybe TFP will surprise me.

Extra POI's will probably make exploring a little more interesting, but unless the whole loot system is reworked alongside it (i.e. you can't get everything by going to the nearest town), I doubt it'll affect me much. Seems like something that could've easily waited till after release, along with the motorbike and jeep.

I just hope they don't break half the game again, and wait another year for fixes.

The two people that have played A17 have said emphatically, that the AI is the amazing thing.

The other things are nice.

I think people will die. The question is:

Will you die easy... or DIE HARD! Hopefully I will take them all down with me! :)

Archived