Which is the more important main feature of the game III

Roland

Which is the more important main feature of the game III  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the more important main feature of the game III

• An improved underground with caves, underground POI's, and threats.
    • An improved water environment with boats, submerged POI's, and threats.

Water could become the coolest, most innovative feature in the game, but that can’t make up for leaving the underground broken. One robust, filled out feature plus an area that’s never developed is way better than one robust, filled out feature plus a half-baked, unbalanced feature. How many times have we seen that?

“You added skyscrapers? That’s cool I guess, but when are you going to fix zombie spawning issues?”

“You added vending machines? That’s cool I guess, but when are you going to fix spam crafting?”

“You added painting? That’s cool I guess, but when are you going to fix the weather?”

“You added underwater POIs and creatures? That’s cool I guess, but when are you going to fix the underground?”*

The primary motivation behind this kind of community feedback isn’t just a desire to see things finished. It’s more specific than that: these features are actually hurting the gameplay in their current unfinished state.

Is water hurting the gameplay in its current state? Yes, to a degree. But you could fix the water right now by editing it out of the rwgmixer file. “Done,” as Guppy likes to say. And if you did so, you wouldn’t really lose much, because there wasn’t much of anything there to begin with.

Not so if you edited out the underground. You’d be stripping out a lot more content from a lot more places. Guppy talks about the value add of putting something in. Taking out the underground would be more of a value subtract than taking out the water. It would hurt existing players a lot more, because we’ve got miners, moles and dwarves already but nobody’s role playing the game as a crocodile hunter or deep sea diver right now - those roles don’t exist.

So if the “you can’t have both” premise of this thread means cutting your losses and removing the losing feature, that would be a terrible waste in the case of the underground, but a “meh” in the case of water. If it means leaving the underground to languish as is, that would be even worse. That’s the same mentality that leads to “let’s stop working on this unfinished EA game and start up another one.” I trust the Pimps to be better than that.

*These kinds of questions aren’t always fair to how the Alpha stage of game development works. But for this thread we’re postulating that one of these will never be done.

Exactly my point; you people are looking at this poll entirely wrong. You're looking at it from the standpoint of FIXING a feature you deem is broken (it is not, but that's another argument), instead of ADDING a feature.

This is an "or" poll. You want a developed underground beyond what it is or do you want a developed water beyond what it is. One is already developed (even if you think partially), the other is untouched potential.

- - - Updated - - -

Right now water is /useless/. It just sits there and serves ZERO PURPOSE. The underground HAS a purpose, and whether or not you agree or disagree that it's purpose is good or bad, it does /something/ at least. Which is why water is the clear choice.

#waterlivesmatter

I see both sides now, but making something that's even remotely like a Minecraft is underground is far more important than water is because you have a few lakes and rivers. Not a lot of the game territory.

So, making the 90% better is still more important than making the other 10% playable. I think we all want both, but if the 90% and the 10% take the same amount of effort, then land has to be worked on, more, first.

Exactly my point; you people are looking at this poll entirely wrong. You're looking at it from the standpoint of FIXING a feature you deem is broken (it is not, but that's another argument), instead of ADDING a feature.

This is an "or" poll. You want a developed underground beyond what it is or do you want a developed water beyond what it is. One is already developed (even if you think partially), the other is untouched potential.

- - - Updated - - -

Right now water is /useless/. It just sits there and serves ZERO PURPOSE. The underground HAS a purpose, and whether or not you agree or disagree that it's purpose is good or bad, it does /something/ at least. Which is why water is the clear choice.

#waterlivesmatter

My opinion still stands. Caves > boats. Underground POIs > underwater POIs. Water can remain as a barrier to travel and it still serves a purpose.

I still want both. :p

This is the underground right now.

1959_ford_before_restoration.jpg

The potential, of course, is substantial. That's why you've been holding on to it for a few years now, hoping to get it working one day. But in its current state, it just doesn't do what it's supposed to do. Yeah, you can get inside. You can pretend it works. But it's broken. Even if you can push it down the road, it falls short of the standards needed to be street legal. And the very fact that it's sitting there, taking up space makes it worse than nothing. It's an eyesore: a burden whose very presence is dragging down the value of everything else if you never bother to fix it.

This is water right now.

carport-installation-4.jpg

Sure, there could be something there one day. But for now, it's just an empty space. It's not hurting much the way it is. It's not good. It's not bad. It's just part of the scenery, and that's fine.

If the "main feature of the game" is represented in this analogy as a cool car, then of course the more logical choice is to build off of the partially-working car. Yeah you could start from nothing and put a hot rod under that car port, and it could be awesome. But to do that would be to discard the partially-working car you already had. It makes no sense to do that. It's wasteful.

100% water.... the fact that it doesnt self level like real water. that a zed killed in water removes a water block and we forever have a hole on the surface and that never ending noise of running water....

i once tried to build a castle in the water.... not a good idea.. had to keep running to the toilet. damn getting old and having the running water sound all the time...lol

100% water.... the fact that it doesnt self level like real water. that a zed killed in water removes a water block and we forever have a hole on the surface and that never ending noise of running water....

i once tried to build a castle in the water.... not a good idea.. had to keep running to the toilet. damn getting old and having the running water sound all the time...lol

It sounds like you didn’t read this.

PS: we all know water needs to be fixed. this is not that. They could fix water and leave it as a barren biome just like now. I'm talking about improving the game spaces of these two areas again assuming they can't do both. So don't vote water just because the water block itself is a mess right now and needs to be fixed. That will happen no matter what.

Put my Deep Diving Perk into the game, put me in the credits, and put caves/underground POI's back in. There are already walking Zombies and swimming animals to keep you stuck swimming in the middle to drown. Nothing else is needed there. Underwater POI's would lead to a lot of drowning deaths and whine-posts about underwater loots people can't get to, and nobody wants that.

Right now water is /useless/.

You been cooking the yellow snow too much. Water is life. It is also death, and in most maps it is <10% of your map area. The rest is land, and based on elevation, that means underground is potentially 95+% of your map. So to see that better utilized, and without the unavoidable drowning, would be much preferable to underwater POI's.

Honestly, if you look at most of the people here saying water, it's clear they didn't read the original post stating this has nothing to do with making the water act like water instead of blocks. Underground, all the way. Dungeons, bunkers, caves, and more. Let's make mining for resources so quick and convenient that we never hear about people living on bedrock again.

Honestly, if you look at most of the people here saying water, it's clear they didn't read the original post stating this has nothing to do with making the water act like water instead of blocks.

I'm betting most who did that didn't respond here. I think most people who voted water read "boats", "Submerged POIs", and "Threats" and got excited for what could become one of the more interesting biomes of the game. Most of the actual responses have to do with those ideas. I want better cave mechanics too but I think underwater exploration could be cooler. Plus, I have a rl slight phobia of murky depths. Games that have swimming in waters with things that can attack you are very frightening to me so that would be an added fear factor plus to this game as opposed to enemies in the caves being pretty much like enemies in any hallway or around any corner.

I have to go with water... Mostly because of the boats! But... What about the cave thing? What stops the zeds from collapsing entire continents?!? That maybe a bigger problem than 'we'd' like to chew!! But the same could be said of 'water threats' - possibly... Hmm...

Archived