Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Wish I could craft a 5-6 slot backpack made outta cloth and or grass fibers, that are disposable for 1 use.

So once it's been filled it will be gone once you empty it.

Also, I wouldn't mind a video today.

Life got me down pretty good now, pretty good.

EDIT: Good points, Jan.

If I were to chime in on the backpack size i say leave it alone, only thing that could be added to make some people happy is pouches on the sides for things like drink, ammo, first aid, like dedicated slots, or even with clothing, some shirts have a pocket so why not give a slot for the shirt, pants can have up to 6 pockets so why not add those, instead of changing the entire backpack scheme, add onto real life things, like we would toss money, and small stuff in our pockets and not our backpack, food for thought for the character screen.

mhmm i keep track of the progress of the "health bar for 2 1/2 months now... i gets a hit roughtly once a week and always decreases by the same lenght. at this rate Alpha 17 experimental will take another 2-3 Months of waiting... which wil make it nearly exactly one year

Has anyone heard annyyything about release or attempted release? I haven't seen any responses or posts to that affect.. no videos on youtube from Joel in over a month? Would love to see someeee type of updates.... anyone know any news?

Has anyone heard annyyything about release or attempted release? I haven't seen any responses or posts to that affect.. no videos on youtube from Joel in over a month? Would love to see someeee type of updates.... anyone know any news?

They dont give release dates, reference the bar above at top of forum for update news.

Coughs *Video* Coughs

Seeing Effort is nice regardless, but i agree with Vega and Snowdog.. Why this huge investments of Ressources and Manpower in Navezgane?

I thought RWG is the "future" or rather said Big Feature of this Game, because of its Replay Value.

Every Major Patch i visit Navezgane, spend 2 or 3 hours in it and move to RWG. Even if it gets expanded and Overhauled, it still has this Feeling that you saw it way to often before and want a Map full of Suprises.

Dont get me wrong, im happily awaiting the new Navezgane and i will spend some hours exploring Perishton... And then go start RWG^^

When the campaign is made, it will be in Navezgane. There's still an entire corner of the map that is unused and blocked out in a way that makes it obvious that something will eventually be there. It makes sense that there should be some improvement to Navezgane with each iteration of the game rather than leaving all of the work for the final release.

Yep, they are working on it, it'll be done when its done...

When the campaign is made, it will be in Navezgane. There's still an entire corner of the map that is unused and blocked out in a way that makes it obvious that something will eventually be there. It makes sense that there should be some improvement to Navezgane with each iteration of the game rather than leaving all of the work for the final release.

I totally agree.. they are trying to put entirely too much into ONE freaking update when they could have put out a little at a time and pushed more updates out rather than 8 months for one update... to keep everyone interested and more going on... i dont know why they are doing that honestly and if anyone has any insight on why i would love to hear it..

More communication on a game and its updates or at least what you are working on keeps your people interested and those who have so much time vested in the game worth it.

I totally agree.. they are trying to put entirely too much into ONE freaking update when they could have put out a little at a time and pushed more updates out rather than 8 months for one update... to keep everyone interested and more going on... i dont know why they are doing that honestly and if anyone has any insight on why i would love to hear it..

More communication on a game and its updates or at least what you are working on keeps your people interested and those who have so much time vested in the game worth it.

I hear you about the long wait, but I think it will be worth the wait. It's more efficient to do a lot of big projects in one update and not try to come up with a polished and playable build for each change that is being made. Overhauling the game to work in a new version of Unity was a big undertaking, and adding a lot of new content on top of that does make it the longest development cycle we've had so far in this game. But one thing I have noticed is that in the last few months we have seen some really robust overhaul mods come into being. This also wouldn't be possible if we had a new alpha every few months. I know the mods aren't the main point of the game, but they do breathe a lot of life into it and make the wait more bearable if you take some time to check them out.

Will be repaired the distant drawing of buildings шт 17 Alpha? Now the buildings that were destroyed can be seen at a great distance.

Doubt it. It seems more like they're even adding to this issue with the distant trees.

I'm not a fan of how all the distant view thingies operate too. It kinda breaks immersion. It's gonna be especially "fun" with the the trees, those get chopped down the most.

It also aesthetically ruined our efforts to start a player town in a pregen-ed city with replaced or additional buildings. Anything on a plot that had a vanilla POI now will have the old POI from a distance and then that awkward part where the distant mesh from the original merges with the actual blocks present. Uglyy.

But I guess it's currently the only way they can technically even pull off the distant view stuff at all and it's still better than the "7 Days to Silent Hill" -alphas. :D

Is Navezgane bigger in A17?

It could make a difference between being a "one off" deal or people seriously considering it a worthy long term experiance.

The problem with Navez is the problem with all static maps, once you know where stuff is, they get boring, and since Navez doesn't change majorly, where the stuff is located is generally the same in each alpha. I tried navezgane the other day, but got bored after spending a day and a half trying to find another trader and finding nothing but forests and house poi's.

My only thought on the backpack size is it would be nice if it was moddable without having to edit the dll.

Yeah they could set the dll by default to save up to 80 inv and 80 vechicle slots, shouldn't bloat saves if the slots are empty, but it would allow you to edit the size with just a xml tweak and have it save. First thing I want when a17-e hits is a .dll mod for inv size, as 32 slots just does not cut it at all.

I thought RWG is the "future" or rather said Big Feature of this Game, because of its Replay Value.

You heard it from lots of players on this forum, amid questions about the A17 release date. Obviously it must be true :smile-new:

I don't think the overall plan of TFPs has changed much. They are working on a story among other things, IN Navezgane.

I don't think this would have worked with a17, due to the nature of alot of the changes all being inter-connected to each other. Adding the stats means you have to mess with skills, health, stamina, exp gains and more. A17 to me is hopefully the last time they take a long time for an update, I can understand why its so long this time with most aspects of the game being redone. Also coding is a pain in the arse, change one value and it could cause a massive bug somewhere else in the code by chance. They had to re-code alot of the game to change it to use stats, and then the weapon mods and such. Don't get me wrong I'd like it to come out sooner too, but would you rather have a game thats so buggy you can't do much? or have one thats moderatly buggy but overall playable, thsi is what most experemental builds are that they release to the public, they got bugs, but "usually" most of the major showstoppers are fixed, EG Crash bugs and such.

- - - Updated - - -

You heard it from lots of players on this forum, amid questions about the A17 release date. Obviously it must be true :smile-new:

I don't think the overall plan of TFPs has changed much. They are working on a story among other things, IN Navezgane.

Actually they story is going to be in randomgen as well eventually, in RG it'll be tied to specific poi's, so it'll not be the same experence but you'll get the general gist of it. I still blame Higashi Pharmacy for the outbreak. It reminds me of a manga I read, the zombie outbreak was caused by a corporation, bascally one of the people researching it got lazy, and forgot to wash their hands, and it got out starting with them. If you've explored that POI they were too well setup for researching the zombies, almost like they knew it was going to happen.

I hear you about the long wait, but I think it will be worth the wait. It's more efficient to do a lot of big projects in one update and not try to come up with a polished and playable build for each change that is being made. Overhauling the game to work in a new version of Unity was a big undertaking, and adding a lot of new content on top of that does make it the longest development cycle we've had so far in this game. But one thing I have noticed is that in the last few months we have seen some really robust overhaul mods come into being. This also wouldn't be possible if we had a new alpha every few months. I know the mods aren't the main point of the game, but they do breathe a lot of life into it and make the wait more bearable if you take some time to check them out.

DHL.. Thanks for putting it in a different perspective for me. I do hear where you are coming from.. Speaking of mods.. are there any new ones that have come out that I could try that would be good.. or do you have any that you recommend?

I don't think this would have worked with a17...... SNIP

Absolutely right.

Actually they story is going to be in randomgen as well eventually, in RG it'll be tied to specific poi's, so it'll not be the same experence but you'll get the general gist of it. I still blame Higashi Pharmacy for the outbreak. It reminds me of a manga I read, the zombie outbreak was caused by a corporation, bascally one of the people researching it got lazy, and forgot to wash their hands, and it got out starting with them. If you've explored that POI they were too well setup for researching the zombies, almost like they knew it was going to happen.

How much of the story will transfer to randomgen remains to be seen. Surely many small quests, but the main quest line (if they manage to do one) would be a lot of work to transplant into randomgen. And for what? The story, like Navezgane the map, will be known in every detail after one or two play-throughs.

DHL.. Thanks for putting it in a different perspective for me. I do hear where you are coming from.. Speaking of mods.. are there any new ones that have come out that I could try that would be good.. or do you have any that you recommend?

Mod List

Ravenhearst 3.1 is good. I haven't played that many others, but I have checked out some YouTubers playing gnamod, war of the walkers, undead legacy, and several others.

Archived