Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

My personal, which is an unpopular opinion on inventory..

1. Starting out: Players should just start out with the belt inventory.
  2. Have one of the starting tut/quest: Make a small bag with plant fibers that adds 1 row of inventory.
  3. Players need to find backpacks: It ranges in sizes from 1/4 to 3/4 of current backpack size (the largest size needs to be obtained with the secret stash perk which holds the same as vanilla).
  4. You get a mini bike w/basket, it carries 1/2 of what the current backpack size is.
  5. You get the cycle: It can carry what the current backpack holds in vanilla. pretend it has saddlebags..
  6. You get the ORV: It can carry 2x the space of what the vanilla backpack carries.

You and me, Tin. Outsiders.

Small inventory doesn’t make the game harder—it makes choosing what to carry and keep or leave behind harder.

Tough choices that have consequences that you have to live with are what make survival games more interesting to me.

Larger inventories, perks and skills that can be sold back for xp, save files to revert the game to undo bad results, etc. are all ways that make choices not really matter and I’m against that kind of design.

Players should agonize over choices and then deal with the consequences. If those consequences mean survival becomes harder then so be it.

Small inventories mean you either do without or only loot some OR if you just have to have it all you make several trips. I, too, think several trips to get it all is tedious so I prioritize and only take the most important stuff and leave the rest and scrap a ton (even things I later regret having scrapped but...oh well).

I recently did a playthrough where I filled every slot of my backpack with fiber gloves and so played with only my tool belt. I scrapped a glove every time I leveled up thus increasing my inventory size progressively. It was a lot of fun and resulted in stashes becoming a necessary component of survival. I used cars, tree trunks, and cupboards everywhere to stash extra stuff I used to carry. It required a lot more planning and meant I would often have to go empty my hands before doing something else.

When I got to a whole row of slots I felt like a king.

Right now spiders just path like the rest. I'll have to give them some attention at some point, but I'd call that an advanced feature.

Not sure if I agree with you there faatal. They seem to path differently once they get to a wall. If the player is on top of it, they climb. While the others moan and mope around, randomly bashing anything in there way.

Small inventory doesn’t make the game harder—it makes choosing what to carry and keep or leave behind harder.

Tough choices that have consequences that you have to live with are what make survival games more interesting to me.

Larger inventories, perks and skills that can be sold back for xp, save files to revert the game to undo bad results, etc. are all ways that make choices not really matter and I’m against that kind of design.

Players should agonize over choices and then deal with the consequences. If those consequences mean survival becomes harder then so be it.

Small inventories mean you either do without or only loot some OR if you just have to have it all you make several trips. I, too, think several trips to get it all is tedious so I prioritize and only take the most important stuff and leave the rest and scrap a ton (even things I later regret having scrapped but...oh well).

I recently did a playthrough where I filled every slot of my backpack with fiber gloves and so played with only my tool belt. I scrapped a glove every time I leveled up thus increasing my inventory size progressively. It was a lot of fun and resulted in stashes becoming a necessary component of survival. I used cars, tree trunks, and cupboards everywhere to stash extra stuff I used to carry. It required a lot more planning and meant I would often have to go empty my hands before doing something else.

When I got to a whole row of slots I felt like a king.

This may help you out. Make yourself two secure trunks. Store all the crap that stacks in one and all the items that don't stack in the other.

This really helps when your doing a big job like looting a hotel. Plus it helps keep things organized.

Loot each room. dump the crap on the chest once your full and repeat till done. Then make a run to your base taking as much as you can.

This leads to fewer trips.

Another thing that will help is opening a chest and pressing R. This will merge stacks of junk, unless they are maxed. It's real easy to miss alike items.

on inventory space - coining a phrase from the kids - meh...

if too much stuff then plonk a chest on a road and mark it on the map. check it each time you pass it. destroy it and remove the way point if you empty it later.

i leave some food water and one honey or antibiotic in a chest i put down in this manner as an insurance policy.

i hang around an area and slowly work out with treasure chests and air drops drawing me out more than anyting else.

once you got a good minibike its not too hard to visit your stashes and condense stuff to your main horde.

i reckon inventory space is fine as is

Why when I read that someone wants more slots in the backpack or in the bike, or with the new vehicles, they expect the game should get easier ? The point is, yea, it could be made easier, but should it ? I think no. The harder the better. \w/

More backpack space to me doesn't affect diffculty much at all, it just means less time wasted messing with the inventory. Stack sizes don't really affect it either imo. Depending what it is. I actually find the game more fun with a bigger inventory. Less running back and forth and such.

More inventory space on the minibike would be nice. :)

Maybe some options for a bigger basket?

- - - Updated - - -

More backpack space to me doesn't affect diffculty much at all, it just means less time wasted messing with the inventory. Stack sizes don't really affect it either imo. Depending what it is. I actually find the game more fun with a bigger inventory. Less running back and forth and such.

...+1

Small inventory doesn’t make the game harder—...

Yes, it makes the game slower :)

The smaller the inventory the more trips you make to the base. The more items you leave behind, the more you'll have to go out looting once you need them.

That said, I don't mind at all starting with just a toolbelt and work my way up from there - find some cloth, craft a basic shoulder bag > go loot a simple backpack > find a proper hiking backpack in a military base or something...

Totally agree. I know MM has mentioned that we will be getting backpacks later and the current inventory size is supposed to be the maximum size with a fully upgraded backpack

I'd quit the game entirely if that happens, 32 slots even at the start of the game is no where near enough.

Whatcha got that defeats "skip in 5 seconds". Cause I want.

ublock origin for firefox, I haven't had ads on youtube for years since I started using it. I click any youtube video and the proper vid plays right away.

This is not a shooter and I sure hope it never will be one. Go try DayZ, this game is heavily focused on gun recoil, gun jamming, weapon sway, reload animations and whatnot. Take a good game as 7D2D for what it is and don't turn every unique game into the average off the shelf shooter. 7D2D should and does focus on different content.

7D2D isn't a shooter, I get that. But it relies on shooting just as much as shooters do, so I think if they make it feel right, and not a pain, it would NOT make it a generic shooter, but just a better game.. It would still be the same game we all love, so don't make such a drama out of a single request. The current recoil needs some work, and I'm sure you know that too.. It basically just makes the player look up every single time a weapon is shot. Keep firing for some seconds, and you suddenly find yourself looking at the sky, breaking your neck xD. Don't tell me thats normal. Also as fataal said "there are different programmers working on the game" so if the one thats working on the guns could get an idea whats wrong with them, and would start improving it, the others could still focus on the "different content" you are into. win-win.

Less running back and forth and such.

You said it. It makes you make easier choises what to leave and what to get, in early game it is essencial to make proper choises in a matter what you need most and so on. I know, more inventory is cool, but still , as Roland said choises are important.

P.S. On Chrome I use AdBlock and to be honest i forgot about this ads. For years.

Whatcha got that defeats "skip in 5 seconds". Cause I want.

NoScript and AdBlockPlus, combined with uBlockOrigin and Popup Blocker Ultimate is the perfect combo to prevent redirects, get rid of ads and other malicious scripts, without actually limiting your browsing. (by setting NoScript to passive mode, not to block everything obviously).

All these are for Firefox but probably also exist for Opera. If you browse with anything else, RIP. Tho why would you. Google Chrome is just very slightly faster than Firefox but only has like one tenth of the features and nowhere near as many extensions.

The backpack size progression, although it would be slightly more immersive, is not worth even a days effort from a dev (unless they have free time).

Even with current backpack sizes, if I'm on a loot trip, I build a wooden chests on each cross street. Looting is fast once I have a good melee weapon.

Its almost a non-topic.

Archived