Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I personally find this game very easy (especially after a few in game weeks or even days). In fact I often even go outside on hoard nights and run around killing zombies to get max loot (doable once you get more stam). Or will purposely spawn in screamers and let them scream until they stop summoning. Or I will make it a point to build in a house instead of a secure location....

My problem with small inventories is not that it makes it harder (in a meaningful way), it just makes it more tedious. It means I need to spend more time doing inventory management, or building a random box to momentarily dump stuff, or more time in my base moving things around, and more time traveling back and forth just to move the inventory instead of doing all the fun stuff the game has to offer....

As long as its an optional feature, I don't see why not?

Until the alpha 17 came out, can it make sense to add a timer when firing a fire / forge / chemical station and add an occasional failure when igniting?

Before ignition, you need to add a minimum fuel (wood, paper, coal). If the ignition is not successful, the fuel is lost. The percentage of successful ignition may depend on the perk of the player and the fuel used (paper - 95%, coal - 65%, wood - 30%).

Yes, I know, it's in the Long Dark game, but it's a cool idea for 7 Days to die.

You can also make it so that the transport has to be started by pressing the button for a certain period of time. And then you can add a case of failure, which can depend on the quality of the transport and the level of special player perk.

I want more details of reality in the game. Now we can just turn the fire on and off, but it's weird))

My personal, which is an unpopular opinion on inventory..

1. Starting out: Players should just start out with the belt inventory.
  2. Have one of the starting tut/quest: Make a small bag with plant fibers that adds 1 row of inventory.
  3. Players need to find backpacks: It ranges in sizes from 1/4 to 3/4 of current backpack size (the largest size needs to be obtained with the secret stash perk which holds the same as vanilla).
  4. You get a mini bike w/basket, it carries 1/2 of what the current backpack size is.
  5. You get the cycle: It can carry what the current backpack holds in vanilla. pretend it has saddlebags..
  6. You get the ORV: It can carry 2x the space of what the vanilla backpack carries.

Why when I read that someone wants more slots in the backpack or in the bike, or with the new vehicles, they expect the game should get easier ? The point is, yea, it could be made easier, but should it ? I think no. The harder the better. \w/

I don't understand how making a backpack bigger makes the game easier. Will my level 100 bow do more damge if I have a bigger backpack? Will I be able to take more hits from a zombie if I have more inventory space?

Backpack is fine by me now but I would not be adverse to the idea Siveria had about keeping inventory as it is but have the .dll set to allow players to easily edit backpack size in xml. Which I assume will also allow you to make it smaller if you wish. Wouldn't that be a win for everyone?

It is not really the AI, but the pathing system, which scans the world and makes a layered grid around each player. All animals and zombies use that grid, but the grid does not know about them. ...It is the standard A* concept.

Thanks! I hope you're not annoyed with all the questions, because I have another one...

How do spider zombies factor into this? If the grid extends into three dimensions, then how do walking zombies know to ignore paths that would require climbing or flying? And if the grid is two dimensional, then how do spider zombies know to take a path that requires climbing up?

2. Have one of the starting tut/quest: Make a small bag with plant fibers that adds 1 row of inventory.
  3. Players need to find backpacks: It ranges in sizes from 1/4 to 3/4 of current backpack size (the largest size needs to be obtained with the secret stash perk which holds the same as vanilla).
  4. You get a mini bike w/basket, it carries 1/2 of what the current backpack size is.
  5. You get the cycle: It can carry what the current backpack holds in vanilla. pretend it has saddlebags..
  6. You get the ORV: It can carry 2x the space of what the vanilla backpack carries.

Totally agree. I know MM has mentioned that we will be getting backpacks later and the current inventory size is supposed to be the maximum size with a fully upgraded backpack

Totally agree. I know MM has mentioned that we will be getting backpacks later and the current inventory size is supposed to be the maximum size with a fully upgraded backpack

OK, so it's not as super, super, unpopular as I thought :)

Until the alpha 17 came out, can it make sense to add a timer when firing a fire / forge / chemical station and add an occasional failure when igniting?

Before ignition, you need to add a minimum fuel (wood, paper, coal). If the ignition is not successful, the fuel is lost. The percentage of successful ignition may depend on the perk of the player and the fuel used (paper - 95%, coal - 65%, wood - 30%).

Yes, I know, it's in the Long Dark game, but it's a cool idea for 7 Days to die.

You can also make it so that the transport has to be started by pressing the button for a certain period of time. And then you can add a case of failure, which can depend on the quality of the transport and the level of special player perk.

I want more details of reality in the game. Now we can just turn the fire on and off, but it's weird))

This is cool idea and an important part for Long Dark, which can lead you to death if you don't have any sources of ignition, so you can keep yourself warm and cook food or boil water to stay alive.

In my opinion, the ignition system is not suitable for 7d2d.

If at least we can have bigger backpack inventory than vanilla at the end, then I'm good with it.

P.S. I don't like this inventory system, which you offered, at least for 7D2D.

Thanks! I hope you're not annoyed with all the questions, because I have another one...

How do spider zombies factor into this? If the grid extends into three dimensions, then how do walking zombies know to ignore paths that would require climbing or flying? And if the grid is two dimensional, then how do spider zombies know to take a path that requires climbing up?

Any node in an a-star grid can be made impassible. Translating a-star into 3D may be a little more complicated than it first appears given that spiders walk on the face of a block, one of those times I'm glad somebody else is writing the code :-)

I would hate this with my play style, I scavenge for a few days and then settle normally on day 5 or 6, but I'd be really interested in this as a form of progression. It doesn't make much sense to me that you can make a minibike, but you can't make a backpack that can hold more than when you were walking around with a rock and a stick.

I would hate this with my play style, I scavenge for a few days and then settle normally on day 5 or 6, but I'd be really interested in this as a form of progression. It doesn't make much sense to me that you can make a minibike, but you can't make a backpack that can hold more than when you were walking around with a rock and a stick.

I wouldn't be opposed to it being more of a progression either.

As for it making sense or no sense? <shrug> There's a lot of things that don't really make sense but it works for the game flow. xD

Sorry, but no need for making a choice is always easier than having to make a choice. Survival games should always be forcing this OR that and only allowing this AND that after some tech advance or progression arc has made it possible.

I'm not against bigger mobile inventory eventually but it should be via vehicle cargo space (tech advance) or as a result of getting a perk based off of strength (progression arc) and if so then we should start with even smaller inventories than we do now so that there can be a satisfying progression.

In my opinion, TFP should not just add two rows to the backpack and call it a day.

Your right Roland. TFP's shouldn't just add two rows to a backpack and call it a day. No, they should add three. ;)

Naw, I'm with Roland. maybe have 12 slots and move on. I campaigned (albeit briefly) for a Smaller Backpack mod to use in my Medieval Mod, but was shot down. Apparently people like their superman ability to carry stuff.

...so, I'm trying to convince Sphereii to add encumberance via weight... so once the contents of your backpack reach X (your players max weight holding ability) then it greys out.

This way, buffs like athetics and whatnot can be used to extend your backpack usage. THEN a 90 slot backpack would make sense, because we could effectively increase the size via buffs, either from player ability or by finding an "item" that gives you the buff, effectively increasing your storage capability.

:)

The servers everywhere seem to be emptying very quick, like there used to be 10x as many people online playing 7DTD just motnhs ago, but now it's like super quiet dead, I urge the devs to hurry up and give people something new to sink thier teeth either an experimental build or at the least some juicy updates, it's been almost a month since we had anything.

Of course, I can not dictate what the devs do, but, by all means it's thier paycheck at the end of the day, and if making a ♥♥♥♥ ton of money is not enough to motivate them, then who cares, theres been plenty of other games that have died because of poor development and community outreach, what is one more, right ?

Why when I read that someone wants more slots in the backpack or in the bike, or with the new vehicles, they expect the game should get easier ? The point is, yea, it could be made easier, but should it ? I think no. The harder the better. \w/

I agree i want zombies that are so smart they kick my ass.

The servers everywhere seem to be emptying very quick, like there used to be 10x as many people online playing 7DTD just motnhs ago, but now it's like super quiet dead, I urge the devs to hurry up and give people something new to sink thier teeth either an experimental build or at the least some juicy updates, it's been almost a month since we had anything.

Of course, I can not dictate what the devs do, but, by all means it's thier paycheck at the end of the day, and if making a ♥♥♥♥ ton of money is not enough to motivate them, then who cares, theres been plenty of other games that have died because of poor development and community outreach, what is one more, right ?

I like how you assume the game will die, your logic makes no sense. The community does this every time there's about to be an update, also fun fact. A majority of people play on private servers or even Solo. WOAH!! seriously, I love how you assume that the game will suddenly die for no reason.

I don't want them to release it if it has gamestopping bugs like it likely does... it's not just a matter of "added jeep, everything works perfect, can release". That same build may have some quest bug that crashes you after the final quest, or some farming bug, or hell, even looking at a campfire causing your pc to freeze...

I like how you assume the game will die, your logic makes no sense. The community does this every time there's about to be an update, also fun fact. A majority of people play on private servers or even Solo. WOAH!! seriously, I love how you assume that the game will suddenly die for no reason.

I know that for myself and those I play with, we don't really feel any incentive to play until the new update comes out.

Right now spiders just path like the rest. I'll have to give them some attention at some point, but I'd call that an advanced feature.

Right now spiders just path like the rest. I'll have to give them some attention at some point, but I'd call that an advanced feature.

I'm more curious if spiders still look retarded when they climb, or if they snap to the face. And if they can go upside down yet, so ledges no longer stop them and they can drop on you from the ceiling, like REAL LIFE SPIDERS DO.

I'm more curious if spiders still look retarded when they climb, or if they snap to the face. And if they can go upside down yet, so ledges no longer stop them and they can drop on you from the ceiling, like REAL LIFE SPIDERS DO.

No but they can ->

Don't look unless you're prepared :spy:

Archived