Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Well what if they mixed in key POI's in RG. That way they could keep the story line. It would just be that the POI's would be in different places in RG V's Navez.

Plus having to use a RG map would add a (new feeling) each time you replayed the story line. Since the POI's would be in different places on the map and were everything around them is different.

OFC POI's such as big office buildings would be located in a RG city. Were as a farm house would be on some farm.

What could be done is a multi stepped thing:

1) Build the map starting from the center and working out.

2) As the map is being built, every POI that could have a quest has it's name and location written on a file called "Story line".

3) If a Quest event happens, the first building is read, the location is flagged on the players map and the story for that POI is given to the player AND that entry is deleted from "Story line"! Also that POI is added to your missions log and what you have to do.

4) You could have an optional one liner in the dialog, if its already been explored "I hear <bad guys> have just moved into the building. please check it out". Something like that.

5) You could get even more complex depending on WHO is wanting a quest or what POI is currently at the top of the "Story Line" file!

6) You could even make a simple data base with every quest-able POI on the map and pull using the players level, rep, player location, or faction and the database would then find a building that fits!

Looks like February will be a long month after all.

I still have fun with A16 though :)

Ah man, don't expect anything for February imho. They've been working on A17 since September, so February will only be 5 months. I'm expecting a development time of 8-9 months for this one.

"I disagree late game, half the zombies are bullet sponges and you cant engage all of them. You ether stop playing or start doing crazy stuff until you die (If you play one life per game).

Maybe A17 has a brass catcher item?"

All you need is zinc and copper added to ore list, there's a few mods that have them

Ah man, don't expect anything for February imho. They've been working on A17 since September, so February will only be 5 months. I'm expecting a development time of 8-9 months for this one.

bah, using months is way too unreliable, there is more accurate way to judge how long till next release. The "development diary" thread for A16 was 1700+ pages long, this one (for A17) is just 640 at the moment, we still have 1000+ pages to write before A17 can be released :)

A16 came out in 06/06/2017 bro. hope you r not say that they jerk off that 3+ month

the next thing you say will be the fixes. wich is... heheh :) part of the next update on the road.

however, i agree with you. i expect A17 stable in early summer

A16 came out in 06/06/2017 bro. hope you r not say that they jerk off that 3+ month

the next thing you say will be the fixes. wich is... heheh :) part of the next update on the road.

Yeah I know man. But they use the opening date of the A17-thread, since then the amount of time passed is lower.. :)

Was just curious about the Navezgane map vs Random Gen map and the plans for the story when the game comes out. The Navezgane is so much smaller but will offer the storyline as I understand it. Any plans to incorporate the story in the random gen or make the Navegane map bigger, or at least options for sizes. Thanks

Someone suggested a "Navezgane as center & RWG around that" world setting some time back.

Any chance this could actually happen ?

One can hope :)

A16 is still a very solid release, that I really enjoy playing :)

Someone suggested a "Navezgane as center & RWG around that" world setting some time back.

Any chance this could actually happen ?

Trouble is that the biomes wouldn't match so it would always be an obvious square and it also doesnt use the RWG terrain pattern so there would be sheer cliffs all around Navezgane.

But maybe you can ride the flying pigs to get up and down.

Trouble is that the biomes wouldn't match so it would always be an obvious square and it also doesnt use the RWG terrain pattern so there would be sheer cliffs all around Navezgane.

There were bugs in alphas past that made that happen from time to time. I personally wouldn't mind. Part of the challenge of getting to our getting out of the area. It would certainly make wandering hordes a bit of fun to watch. :p

September was when the A17 dev diary began but even then the whole team hadn’t switched over to A17. Most of the team were still working on A16. A16.4 wasn’t released until the end of October so that is when development of A17 began in earnest.

Now if you are trying to say that the fixes and changes in 16.1 - 16.4 should count as development towards A17 then I invite you to keep your A16.4 save game and try and play A17 with it when the time comes....

Now if you are trying to say that the fixes and changes in 16.1 - 16.4 should count as development towards A17 then I invite you to keep your A16.4 save game and try and play A17 with it when the time comes....

Excellent. Great to know that i wont have much work to do on the mod since, you know, not much is changing and we can use our old saves with no issue. Thanks for the conformation Roland :)

Id be totally down if they made the navezgane map have a quest/storyline.

They can do it with a RNG map too!

While the program is building the map, it needs to build a file that has all "Quest worthy" POI's and their map coordinates.

Then depending on "Story Line Level", Faction, player level, player Rep and possibly other things, the program can take the first POI from the file and build an instant quest based on the POI (Each POI can have several possible quests associated with them even!)

Then the story line level for the player is incremented if the quest was a story line quest.

Since we didn't get ziplines, why not a reuseable grappling hook instead? Could have a 12-15 block range max, and allows you to stick to things, maybe allow us to also use something in the other hand while using it.

Why not add a knife slot? something like monster hunter where a knife for butchering/skinning stuff could go into its own special inv slot, and you hit a keyboard key to use it while the crosshairs are on something. This way we could use blunt weapons without having to sacrifice a inv slot to do so, since your going to always want something to skin animals with on you at all times.

- - - Updated - - -

You’re welcome and....good luck with that :)

Yeaaah, if that person is serious he's in for a rude awakening, considering most of the game is bascally being redone.

Since we didn't get ziplines, why not a reuseable grappling hook instead? Could have a 12-15 block range max, and allows you to stick to things, maybe allow us to also use something in the other hand while using it.

Why not add a knife slot? something like monster hunter where a knife for butchering/skinning stuff could go into its own special inv slot, and you hit a keyboard key to use it while the crosshairs are on something. This way we could use blunt weapons without having to sacrifice a inv slot to do so, since your going to always want something to skin animals with on you at all times.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeaaah, if that person is serious he's in for a rude awakening, considering most of the game is bascally being redone.

As Jax is working on Ravenhearst 3.0 I would suspect he is acutely aware (awake) of A17 implications. And both he and Roland ended with Smiley Faces...

A17 due April 17th (It's in the name!) More than enough time for Jax to get RH 3.0 out... (hint Jax...)

What if you had the biomes of the RG (snap) to the existing ones of Navezgane?

Is it possible to have the terrain pattern snap to the existing one to?

What if you had the biomes of the RG (snap) to the existing ones of Navezgane?

Is it possible to have the terrain pattern snap to the existing one to?

It's a lot more complicated than that. Off the top of my head you have things like distant terrain and distant POI's that would require some very significant rethinking to support the two map styles coexisting. Anything else that is statically defined or any assumptions made in Navezgane or RWG would all have to have something done to them. It's a whole lot of work for not a whole lot of gain.

Alternately, if structures supported this they might be able to make a gigantic POI that is the upper surface of the Navezgane map and have that placed in a RWG map. But methinks that is asking too much. :p

So with a total of 4 introduced vehicles,

How are they listed in terms of speed?

Bicycle<Minibike<Hog<Rover ?

If the minibike caused terrainloading issues (like Grey unloaded squares) whats gonna happen with the faster Vehicles?

Implementing vehicles is one, optimising envorenment is another thing. They will get to that. About speed, MM said that minibike will be slowed down in a matter to leave the hog to be faster than it. How fast ? No idea.

Seems the current minibike speed tests the limits of chunk generation anyway, so that'll probably be the new "fastest vehicle" speed, and everything else before it (including the minibike) slowed down.

...unless Kinyajuu found a way to pre-generate the chunks faster.

(kinyajuu, kinyajuu, kinyajuu)

Archived