Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

How bout some networked vending machines and bulk terraforming?

I find it hard to believe there wouldn't still be hardware networks which could be used to link the vending machines up in a post-apocalyptic world. But really from a gameplay perspective, on multiplayer worlds we're almost 20km from each other at times - and even on worlds that create a 'market' of vending machines, who has time to sort though 40+ machines (there has been over 6k players on the server I play and there is over 200 vending machines) every time you want an item?

And as for bulk terraforming, it would obviously pose PvP issues, but it is ridiculously tedious breaking up individual blocks.

There are zombies that are faster than you can run. The minibike just needs to be a little faster than those to make it worthwile to get one (and I'm not even talking about the stoarge space)

Or, in coop multiplayer, you don't need to be faster than the zombies, you just need to be faster than your friend

When I mentioned that I wasn't even thinking about using a bike to get away from zombies, I was thinking more of why put the time, effort and resources into making a bike that would be no faster than me running to where I wanted to go. While running I could loot. I know I could stop the bike to loot but jumping on and off a bike every few feet to check a loot container doesn't seem efficient.

So a A17 recap:

Zombies will deliberately attack the supporting structure of your base after they decide they cant reach you or just go straight for the load bearing walls?

When they are attacking your supporting structures, will they still tear through your steel and concrete with their fingers, slapping them to rubble? Or will they decide to use steel pick axes?

Maybe they will strap exploding zombies to the structure and kick them in the nuts till they explode? That's silly, right? Because the exploding zombie should be able to decide for himself which load bearing structure is best to run over and explode next to!

Well done!

When they are attacking your supporting structures, will they still tear through your steel and concrete with their fingers, slapping them to rubble? Or will they decide to use steel pick axes?

I hope they continue to tear through steel and concrete with their fingers because that is what they've done from the beginning and after four years I've come to accept that whatever process caused them to become the monsters they are it has also granted them the ability to tear through concrete and steel with their bare hands. Whether that fits in with other zombie lore or not it definitely has become the zombie lore of this game. Now if they suddenly started using pickaxes, THAT would be weird.

I hope they continue to tear through steel and concrete with their fingers because that is what they've done from the beginning and after four years I've come to accept that whatever process caused them to become the monsters they are it has also granted them the ability to tear through concrete and steel with their bare hands. Whether that fits in with other zombie lore or not it definitely has become the zombie lore of this game. Now if they suddenly started using pickaxes, THAT would be weird.

Remember that one time, MM was talking about the lumberjacks having axes frozen to them...

You're right, wouldn't want things to get weird with the game now. So Miner Zombies with steel pickaxes would be great. But the pickaxes explode when they die so players cant use them.

You're right, wouldn't want things to get weird with the game now. So Miner Zombies with steel pickaxes would be great. But the pickaxes explode when they die so players cant use them.

EDIT: Best of all Zombies: Exploding Zombie Head Lice! You cant see them until you are infected. If you try to kill them, they explode. So your options are: Die in 7 days or die now in a fun explosive event. Oh how your friends will laugh with the fun! What fun.

Nah, no worries. Giant arachnids would be silly.

(it will be mutated cockroaches)

They explode tho, right? Near the players supporting structures as planned, we need to keep things consistent.

I cant wait for the Zombie Fire ants... oh yeah!

For obvious reasons, its best to use a sniper rifle from a distance.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23920[/ATTACH]

You can't see them, so its best to keep shooting.

When I mentioned that I wasn't even thinking about using a bike to get away from zombies, I was thinking more of why put the time, effort and resources into making a bike that would be no faster than me running to where I wanted to go.

Sure, if the minibike is only as fast as you running. But why postulate the improbable?

The minibike of A16 has about 600 different speeds (one for each quality step of the motor part) and most or all of them are faster than your run speed. Lots of choices for motor speed.

Sure, with too many vehicles there might be cases where the speed difference between two vehicles isn't noticable anymore, but we are far from that at the moment. Replace a quality 400 motor with a quality 450 motor and you will notice it.

Sure, if the minibike is only as fast as you running. But why postulate the improbable?

The minibike of A16 has about 600 different speeds (one for each quality step of the motor part) and most or all of them are faster than your run speed. Lots of choices for motor speed.

Sure, with too many vehicles there might be cases where the speed difference between two vehicles isn't noticable anymore, but we are far from that at the moment. Replace a quality 400 motor with a quality 450 motor and you will notice it.

40 meters a second is the fastest voxel game I've seen render (Empyrion) it uses the same engine as 7D2D so I think things can get better.

Archived