Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

joel did say they are trying to basically design each one with its own back story so we will find out in due time. :)

however, i would have preferred the hp meter of the target be over the target and not in my HUD itself.

Gronk had a good reason about boss zombies.

I will like back stories, great for the game and can trigger more ideas.

There are too many shooters out there, but yeah, put the hp with the zombie.

btw.....Madmole inadvertently showed a brand new feature in the most recent video but you have to be really observant to have caught it. If someone can spot the change I'll confirm it and it may lay to rest one of the biggest #gates we've had around here...

3:12 - breath holding for aiming?

10:51 - the picture is crooked (free rotation of objects)?

14:24 - when you jump stamina is gone

Stamina does not fill the bar completely (maximum 97/100) maybe it's fatigue?

16:30 - zombies fall using regdoll instead of a special animation. And now we can never know for sure whether he is visually dead or not.

may be one of this...

The problem appears to be Roland thinks its a survival game with as much realism as possible while retaining the fun and TFP still seem to be exploring what the game should be. I think they look at top sellers and try to emulate some things.

Exploring? I don't think so. TFP did say loud enough that this is a cross between survival, tower defense, RPG... and that RPG features are missing (quests, NPCs, attributes to name the most prominent) and are top priority now. Also Guppycur protested about that direction for most of A16 experimental, so it wasn't really hidden.

btw.....Madmole inadvertently showed a brand new feature in the most recent video but you have to be really observant to have caught it. If someone can spot the change I'll confirm it and it may lay to rest one of the biggest #gates we've had around here...

Without having seen the video I would put my bet on #backpackgate

Things I have spotted so far:

- Game runs on DX11, but thats already been spoiled.

- Clothes seem to have lost quality and stack to 500 now.

- Same goes for minibike parts.

- Some blocks (with stack numbers) have quality now, could not see what blocks they were but could be electric ones.

- Mining hat as the 'Assembly' option so it can be assembled from parts now I think?

- Spawn menu seems overhauled with optional more than 1 screen of zombies to spawn (which is great for me as a modder).

- Seems there are is a Bandit Leader now and some NPC survivors added. But only visible on the list so no way to tell if it works.

- Zombie kills give a lot more experience by the looks of how fast he levels from killing just a few (but that could just be a wip side effect).

- Zombie ragdoll movement seems to work, they fly when hit by the shotgun.

- Weapon parts are no longer there when a weapon is assembled, so they could be out and replaced by the new attachment (this new system would likely otherwise conflict with the existing weapon part system and create a lot of xml entries for multiple weapons as it is in A16).

- The bedroll starter quest does no longer seem to need the bedroll to be crafted or placed, only fiber gathered.

- It seems that Madmole can attach weapon mods to his shotgun/use the assembly but cannot repair it because he does not have the recipe learned. This means that perhaps finally these two systems have been separated so that repairing is not tied to being able to assemble a gun. But it could also be that assembly with the recipe known will show the weapon parts that as mentioned before are not visible.

- New stats on weapons that show, but these seem for debugging and only horizontal/vertical spread are new.

- Scrap frames are now Iron frames (but thats just a rename in localization.txt)

- The Inventory has a TRASH button :D

Edit:

- Wellness is not gone yet (from the GUI at least).

Probably more that I missed, but lot of cool stuff here :)

Things I have spotted so far:

- Game runs on DX11, but thats already been spoiled.

- Clothes seem to have lost quality and stack to 500 now.

- Same goes for minibike parts.

- Some blocks (with stack numbers) have quality now, could not see what blocks they were but could be electric ones.

- Mining hat as the 'Assembly' option so it can be assembled from parts now I think?

- Spawn menu seems overhauled with optional more than 1 screen of zombies to spawn (which is great for me as a modder).

- Seems there are is a Bandit Leader now and some NPC survivors added. But only visible on the list so no way to tell if it works.

- Zombie kills give a lot more experience by the looks of how fast he levels from killing just a few (but that could just be a wip side effect).

- Zombie ragdoll movement seems to work, they fly when hit by the shotgun.

- Weapon parts are no longer there when a weapon is assembled, so they could be out and replaced by the new attachment (this new system would likely otherwise conflict with the existing weapon part system and create a lot of xml entries for multiple weapons as it is in A16).

- The bedroll starter quest does no longer seem to need the bedroll to be crafted or placed, only fiber gathered.

- It seems that Madmole can attach weapon mods to his shotgun/use the assembly but cannot repair it because he does not have the recipe learned. This means that perhaps finally these two systems have been separated so that repairing is not tied to being able to assemble a gun. But it could also be that assembly with the recipe known will show the weapon parts that as mentioned before are not visible.

- New stats on weapons that show, but these seem for debugging and only horizontal/vertical spread are new.

- Scrap frames are now Iron frames (but thats just a rename in localization.txt)

- The Inventory has a TRASH button :D

Probably more that I missed, but lot of cool stuff here :)

You sir pay a lot more attention then I did haha but did notice the trash icon in the menu.

You sir pay a lot more attention then I did haha but did notice the trash icon in the menu.

Well I took the time to reanalyze it when I saw Rolands post, I did not see that trash button and it does only show in creative and later on its gone when Madmole opens his inventory.

The enemy health bar is a good tool for debugging but as a constant feature it just seems wrong. It takes away a lot of the fear in facing down an enemy and since this is a survival-horror game more fear is good.

I do agree here. I prefer to "find out" by myself how strong is an ennemy than having a red bar telling me some infos.

Such ennemy bar is great on fast pacing games where it builds some thrill and coupled with more similar features, it triggers some "addictive feeling". (think Diablo)

Crawlers are often non detected by the players and come near surprising one...such ennemy bar "revealing" a near crawler while scanning the area will kill this surprise effect.

Indeed, more fear is needed in the game.

Well I took the time to reanalyze it when I saw Rolands post, I did not see that trash button and it does only show in creative and later on its gone when Madmole opens his inventory.

Yeah I seen it then when he opened back up it was gone so didn't think to much of it until you brought it up. I was looking around for new block directions but nothing stood out.

Not that it would be one of the biggest #gates or anything but never know lol

Spam crafting? :spy:

Standalone version?

As usual the prefabbers are doing an excellent job, however I have two major concerns.

The empty loot containers and the health indicators on enemies.

With the empty loot containers, you effectively sped up are looting process, which sucks, and we now have static blocks that are wasted in the world. Taking up two blocks if I'm not mistaken.

What was once a fully interactive world Is now becoming a static one. Boo, hiss.

With HitPoint indicators you now just took away the entire surprise and purpose of the knock down effect. Did you kill it? Is it safe to loot? Is it almost down? Can I swoop in with my club, or do I need to continue expending ammo?

Should I approach it and find out the hard way?

No need! Simply hover a weapon over your target and your battlesuits hud will tell you everything you need to know!

1 block ability to sneak into another spot thru 1 block. As seen in 14.23 where he is jumping to show you a gap but has a shaft door on it.

Or blocks can destroy upon walking on it but not all the block dissappear.. (may be just my eyes lol)

The car4wd In the entityspawner

Noise range

Maybe because no one forces you to install it in this particular gun...?

Ya know, not everything has to be tiered... you CAN just have a kick ass extended mag in a ♥♥♥♥ty pistol, it's okay to NOT have to use a spreadsheet to dictate what happens.

Just saying.

Well enough to know he is a troll sometimes lol

Jk jk

Trollin', Trollin', Trollin'

Rawhide!

Keep Trollin', Trollin', Trollin'

Though the streams are swollen

Keep them dogies Trollin'

Rawhide!

Through rain and wind and weather

Hell-bent for leather

Wishin' my gal was by my side.

All the things I'm missin'

Good vittles, love, and kissin'

Are waiting at the end of my ride.

CHORUS

Move 'em on, head 'em up

Head 'em up, move 'em on

Move 'em on, head 'em up

Rawhide

Cut 'em out, ride 'em in,

Ride 'em in, let 'em out,

Cut 'em out, ride 'em in

Rawhide!

I threw up a little bit in my mouth....

I am not against modding, however, so I’ll give it a try first but am glad I’ll have options. I’m really glad I’m not one of those poor suckers in the community with mod phobia...

Also it’s nice to know there is a line that when crossed it brings more people around to my perspective. ;)

@Roland yeh, thanks for sharing that screenshot of the latest build with me last night:

House-of-the-Dead-3_INLINE-2_1329435774.jpg

Archived