Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Lol I don't even know which bar is the xp bar. :)

Lol, it's the purple/pink bar above your toolbar :p. Or is it blue? I don't remember, haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes we have working 1-120 quality level items now which is why I say we can potentially get Scavengers going. With Deceptive Pastry being able to rig a working Action Skill as well i think the results could be favorable and could work. :)

Awesome. I look forward to playing Ravenhearst and hopefully Scavengers, it'll be awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I really like the game now, with the current skill system and the level gates. Makes me feel that i need to accomplish something. Having goals. Haven't had that feeling since I started playing this game 4 years ago.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I massively enjoy it myself. Though I think I'm part of the minority understanding that with how the game is made, it makes it possible for this game to be done in so many different ways. So I love TFP's version now, I love the possibility of "on use" leveling, love it all. I understand that 1 version will probably not have it all like people want, and I'm okay with having to jump around from the normal game to the modded version.

I have been trying to mod this but since I can't figure out how to give skill point through buffs I'm stuck. :(

Hope u find a way, be good to try different ideas before things are set in stone for gold.

That came from Roland. I'm sure he was joking, but I too thought that the one-level-per-day idea is pretty great.

It would basically render every problem with XP balancing, level gating, etc. moot. There would be no XP at all, and no level gates needed since it's impossible build a "day 1 forge" or whatever.

This, and it would still allow players to choose skill trees according to their prefered play styles. So if I want to play the game without actively killing a single zombie (by e.g. running away, sneaking past, tricking them into traps) then I could do this without any penalties whatsoever.

But, actually, that choice might be why TFP don't do it. As you said, it can be considered too passive. Perhaps they're right, and if they are, it's why giving players too many choices can sometimes make the game less enjoyable.

Tbh I'm not sure if Roland is joking or trolling at times, but he's a helpful guy...sometimes, can't complain.

The more I think about it the whole gates and restrictions are put in place to try make people play the actual game and don't rush xp. If you got skill points for making it alive for a day it might deter spam-level-by-doing and make people play what they find fun in the game be it mining, building, looting, quests, etc. But still have small xp gains for those activities otherwise it might feel too passive.

When can we expect the next patch? Looking forward to some quality of life buffs.

I would HOPE not till the second week in Jan. The pimps take the holiday weeks off, and they won't be working on it till after new years. This also gives us time to hit later game stages, and report progress or imbalance issues on later game.

Yes, there is:

edit: so you are on dedi? can you open creative menu on dedi?

another way is just to remove the quest from the quest menu, this removes the quest item too, so no need for the admin command.

Failed quests can't be deleted.. they sit there to haunt the rest of your game reminding you of your shortcomings.... ;) I'll see if I can clear her stuff trying cm though.

Here's to hoping that the peak in player activity of a17 will still happen..

Because until now.. the peak is underwhelming. Smaller as compared with a16. 25k. About 2.5 times the average amount of players before a17e dropped.

Also have to think about it, the released happened shortly before Steam's Winter Sale where lots of those games that are $60+ or even new toys with Christmas. Many people are probably focusing on that more so.

Someone away back made what was perhaps my favorite suggestion I ever heard, and that was to gain a level for every day your survived. It lets you play however you want, but everyone still progresses. Sure you could try to abuse it and just sit around, but you would still need food.

I find it hard to believe I was the first to suggest that mechanic, but I definitely am a recent proponent of it, in this very thread. Now there are at least two of us, we can form a club! Or an LLC! Maybe a Super PAC, really I dunno. What I'm saying is, let's apply our enormous leverage to push for this in A18. You go first.

It's not a terrible idea and would solve abusing mechanics. You couldn't really take advantage of it by sitting around as it's gonna take 100s of days to level up high. Like u said still need go out for food, water and by then irradiateds show up so I don't think it's possible to survive without proper gear.

Might also promote better play instead of going gung ho on day 1, u die u don't get a skill point. But I think it's a bit frowned upon as it's too passive, I recall TFP have stated killing zombies should be rewarded more for the risk involved.

This is actually a pretty elegant solutions. No XP for anything! Survive and progress. Do whatever you want to do (Mine, loot, craft kill, build) and don't feel like you are being penalized with low XP rates. No more arguing about not getting XP for trap kills as a bonus!

It's an interesting thing to consider; progressing per day of survival.

I find it hard to believe I was the first to suggest that mechanic, but I definitely am a recent proponent of it, in this very thread. Now there are at least two of us, we can form a club! Or an LLC! Maybe a Super PAC, really I dunno. What I'm saying is, let's apply our enormous leverage to push for this in A18. You go first.

Fear the Night sort of does this. It takes a percentage of all the XP you earned for the day, and if you survive the night it adds it as bonus XP in the morning. If you die it deducts from that bonus. Cool system.

A miner and builder have difficulties that aren't really obvious to an adrenaline pumped fighter. A huge problem is self-hypnosis. The first sign I usually get of a wandering horde is my screen getting covered in blood :-)

https://drmichaelharris.com/repetition/

- - - Updated - - -

The fix for this is so easy.

Diminishing returns on crafting the same item more than once. Maybe 10 or so level 1 stone axes and you're receiving no XP from them. Add an XP bonus to crafting more complicated things and the crafter then has a mini-game of trying to source as many different types of materials and a reason to craft some things they wouldn't bother with otherwise.

Please No. Just. No.

Hmmm, loot as the reward, there is that. But that works for SP. For MP, not so much since then that means the fighters in the group are taking higher risk for everyone having the same loot (cause it'll be brought back to base and everyone can use it). Builder never leaves yet still gets all the loot and same level as fighters, etc. Typically, that should not matter because it means they use your stuff to make better defenses or stuff for you.

The group takes the risk and gets the reward. In a group with scavengers and builders it isn't like scavengers have to be forced to go out. Also they get first pick on the loot they find and usually get satisfaction from bringing home stuff that the builders need. "I found a lvl3 pickaxe" is greeted with cheers on teamspeak, that is a reward as well.

In my experience (with just one group though) no scavenger feels like he must be higher level than the builders. But nearly everyone feels being "behind" if his level is lower than the rest of the group (no matter what job he does).

I think the issue would then come down to PvP as to why a builder is just as strong as a fighter, since guns really will kill people quick no matter whether you perk into it or not.

in PvP (if it makes even sense to talk about balance at this time) a builder might be just as strong as a fighter, but which one will have the x8 scope? :smile-new: . We are at a point in the games development where mods are promising to make a difference but are not fully implemented and balanced yet. Wait for some more armor mods and you will probably see a fighter laugh at a builder with his lvl1 gun. I'm not sure PvP players want this, but there you have your reward for the risk.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I really like the game now, with the current skill system and the level gates. Makes me feel that i need to accomplish something. Having goals. Haven't had that feeling since I started playing this game 4 years ago.

Then I will join you in the minority. I agree, and they have managed to make me act cautiously again.

I am saying that any time you get off a vehicle you have a chance to loose everything on your toolbelt.

My impression is it happens with bad network connection. Because one of my group of players always has problems with his network connection to the server. And guess who lost his toolbelt twice in yesterdays session?

Fear the Night sort of does this. It takes a percentage of all the XP you earned for the day, and if you survive the night it adds it as bonus XP in the morning. If you die it deducts from that bonus. Cool system.

Hmm...seems you could get pretty close to the survive a day = gain SP by completely nerfing XP and then making the "bonus" XP 10,000 or whatever is appropriate. I am not a modder, but this is the kind of project that makes me want to go learn...

Has anybody suggested tying your storage capability to your land claim block? That and zombie horde nights attacking the land claim block? I feel this could be a way to make it impossible to avoid horde nights or try and simply run away to protect your base during the 7 day horde(This should be part of a hardcore mode)... Maybe if everything focused around the land claim block more it would make the tower defense part of the game a real core part of the 7day horde... As it is now you can store all your stuff anywhere you want and just run away on horde night or enter any random building/structure and jump to the roof during the auto homing 7dtd hordes... Fight to protect your land claim block or watch everything get destroyed. Hardcore... I think zombies were attracted to landclaim blocks at one time but I think storage should be part of it as well.

Has anybody suggested tying your storage capability to your land claim block? That and zombie horde nights attacking the land claim block? I feel this could be a way to make it impossible to avoid horde nights or try and simply run away to protect your base during the 7 day horde(This should be part of a hardcore mode)... Maybe if everything focused around the land claim block more it would make the tower defense part of the game a real core part of the 7day horde... As it is now you can store all your stuff anywhere you want and just run away on horde night or enter any random building/structure and jump to the roof during the auto homing 7dtd hordes... Fight to protect your land claim block or watch everything get destroyed. Hardcore

??

I can go afk during hordenight

Standing on my claimblock

So... will this game be playable in the next month?

Over a year and a half for one iteration is a little much...

(Yes, this is intentionally passive-aggressive. If I was being strictly aggressive I would get a ban. Just want an honest answer.)

Edit:

Constructive post from Richard in another thread. Thanks Richard.

Archived