Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Doable with an aoe buff on the block, but ultimately pointless... I bet most clear their packs on horde nights.

Of course! After a week of mining I'd like to see level 2 :-)

The problem is that the system suffers from the same problem as forge heat. If the chunk ain't spawned then the zombies ain't coming.

Man, what happened to the speed of upgrading blocks? It takes ages now lol. I can understand a stone axe being slow, but a hammer and wrench are almost as slow, and the nailgun is barely any better. I was rather excited to procure coins to buy a nailgun from the very-pleasently spoken Traitor Rekt and then was sad when I used it.

That kind of sounds as though content was something to avoid. For me, content is like toys in the sandbox (game). It's okay if you say you're not into expanding content to bridge "boredom" or making late game more interesting, but it kind of surprises me in a sandbox game - especially since it is a pretty easy way to make a lot of people happy.

I think Gazz meant filling the game with mass amount of content (like an MMO would) is not possible for a small company like TFP.

This seems like a random question, but I recall reading here that you can preview the map and use tools to locate traders etc.

So - I've gone into the RandomGen Preview and put in the map seed, but it comes up with a different 'location' to what we have it set as...possibly due to the fact we selected the location when we created the game (in order to try and not have so many issues with roads...that didn't work FYI). So...can we not preview the world if we have created it in this way?

Also, I vaguely recall that you can enable something to see the traders on the map generator. Can someone please explain to me how to do this again since I couldn't see anything of that nature when I did bring up a map preview.

Thanks.

Just a few thoughts. Why don't we get back a glass jar when we boil food or make stew. After all, we aren't consuming the jar. Baked potato should be renamed to grilled potato, and we should be able to grill corn, not just boil. Lastly on the subject of stew, how about adding tomatoes or carrots.

Man, what happened to the speed of upgrading blocks? It takes ages now lol. I can understand a stone axe being slow, but a hammer and wrench are almost as slow, and the nailgun is barely any better. I was rather excited to procure coins to buy a nailgun from the very-pleasently spoken Traitor Rekt and then was sad when I used it.

Agreed, Nailgun speed is horrible.

Just a few thoughts. Why don't we get back a glass jar when we boil food or make stew. After all, we aren't consuming the jar. Baked potato should be renamed to grilled potato, and we should be able to grill corn, not just boil. Lastly on the subject of stew, how about adding tomatoes or carrots.

From what I recall it's only possible to 'return' one thing from a recipe. It's been that way since at least A15 as far as I know.

Definately agree w you, a few more very basic recipes would be appreciated. Ones that don't require a cooking pot or a grill.

Pretty easy to cook a potatoe or un-husked corn in the hot ashes of a fire, also quite doable to poke a small hole in an egg and cook that in the embers.

Pretty easy to cook a potatoe or un-husked corn in the hot ashes of a fire, also quite doable to poke a small hole in an egg and cook that in the embers.

I can see the cooking progression for this now:

1. Heat nail over fire to sterilize it.

2. Poke egg with nail.

3. Complain when you break the egg from stabbing too hard

4. Get another egg and try again.

After maybe a dozen tries you finally get a poached egg from the fire.

I can see the cooking progression for this now:

1. Heat nail over fire to sterilize it.

2. Poke egg with nail.

3. Complain when you break the egg from stabbing too hard

4. Get another egg and try again.

After maybe a dozen tries you finally get a poached egg from the fire.

heh heh :) fairly close actually. The trick of it is to _slowly_ heat the egg up.

Other hillbilly method is to 'stone soup' it. Water in a can, add hot rocks to boil the water, add egg.

But for some really good campfire cooking I wish they'd add in Heavy Duty Foil. The old, make a 'boat', fill w meat, veggies, spices, bury in embers for ~20 minutes. Don't know why, maybe no dish washing required, but I still routinely do that on trips :)

You might be onto something there. Would definitely give the tower defense aspect part of the game more focus. Would need to figure out how the player factors in though. For example, if you try to lead a horde away from your land claim, do they lose interest and retargeting your claim block instead? What consequences are there to losing your claim block? Etc.

Also need to balance everything with multiplayer....*headache*

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha...mental images be gone!!!!

GNAMOD used to do this. it was a tower defense with a droppable trader who would sell you random stuff to prepare for a daily horde night. Then you would have to defend the traderblock on hotdenight cause they would try to destroy it. Worked well.

heh heh :) fairly close actually. The trick of it is to _slowly_ heat the egg up.

Other hillbilly method is to 'stone soup' it. Water in a can, add hot rocks to boil the water, add egg.

But for some really good campfire cooking I wish they'd add in Heavy Duty Foil. The old, make a 'boat', fill w meat, veggies, spices, bury in embers for ~20 minutes. Don't know why, maybe no dish washing required, but I still routinely do that on trips :)

I grew up knowing that the as the hobo dinner. I had it as a kid in the stove courteous of mom's cooking, but the same recipe in a camp fire's coals is even better today than I remember from decades ago.

The egg method, set an egg in a pixi/paper cup with water, put it near the hot coals and bring it to a boil. What remains is a great hard boild egg and half a cup - somewhat similar to the game, but you lose all of the glass.

It would be nice if the details like this were added to the game, but something tells me TFP has never had a hobo dinner cooked by the coals lol.

Now use foil in the hotel room with a towel and the clothes iron. It's quite surprising what you can do. :)

So... will this game be playable in the next month?

Over a year and a half for one iteration is a little much...

(Yes, this is intentionally passive-aggressive. If I was being strictly aggressive I would get a ban. Just want an honest answer.)

Edit:So... will this game be playable in the next month?

Over a year and a half for one iteration is a little much...

(Yes, this is intentionally passive-aggressive. If I was being strictly aggressive I would get a ban. Just want an honest answer.)

Edit:

Constructive post from Richard in another thread. Thanks Richard.

Constructive post from Richard in another thread. Thanks Richard.

Yeah, I agree with you. It has been WAY too long and the results are not even close to what I was hoping for.

If someone is willing to go that far they could just make the newbie quest give 305 points now.
Far, if i would want to join a friend on a Vanilla 120Min day server i would afk for 32 Hours before i start playing.

Yah, some players like playing the game, others like having played the game and enjoying an A16-style power fantasy.

Neither is bad but the 2nd group still has the option of giveselfxp while balancing has to concentrate on the 1st group.

Yah, some players like playing the game, others like having played the game and enjoying an A16-style power fantasy.

Neither is bad but the 2nd group still has the option of giveselfxp while balancing has to concentrate on the 1st group.

I dont get it why people are playing this game like they work, i thought a game is like a book, the proceeding through the story/game is the nice and funny part, not the end of the book (=lategame, finished game).

Did the recent development of other games teach us that grinding/playing through of a game is the most important ?

Or did people think like that all the time? Imho a game should be nice while I play it, and I dont want an end of it.

The journey is the reward, not the final.

Edit: Or is the thinking like this: "I can only play really if i have maximized all" ? But then you are finished, and it gets boring.

Why does it fracking matter how people like to play the game?

...and before people go thinking I like it easy, this is how we do things on guppy server...

Screenshot_20181228-171617.png

But you know what we don't do? We don't take passive aggressive swipes at how /others/ play, nor do we make direct statements against them.

... because it doesn't affect us.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI that peaked at 102 Zed's vs 2 people ...

My impression is it happens with bad network connection. Because one of my group of players always has problems with his network connection to the server. And guess who lost his toolbelt twice in yesterdays session?

I don't think so. my ping is 18-25ms consistently. and others on our server are similar sub 40ms pings.

Sure thing Gazz. Pausing and waiting for stamina is a great game experiance.

Maybe you could prolong all loot timers to 30sec and add a 30sec animation when reloading the bow as well.

Oh and dont forget to make aiming almost impossible so it will take at least 5 min to kill a zombie.

That way we can really enjoy "playing" the game :)

Sure thing Gazz. Pausing and waiting for stamina is a great game experiance.

Maybe you could prolong all loot timers to 30sec and add a 30sec animation when reloading the bow as well.

Oh and dont forget to make aiming almost impossible so it will take at least 5 min to kill a zombie.

That way we can really enjoy "playing" the game :)

Does it take even remotely that long to kill a zombie? Or reload a bow?

If stamina were infinite from the start that would really pull the carpet out under quite some progression and items.

I don't think stamina was infinite in A16, either... until you bought the perks for that.

That's just rose-tinted glasses in remembering late game A16. =P

Has anybody suggested tying your storage capability to your land claim block? That and zombie horde nights attacking the land claim block? I feel this could be a way to make it impossible to avoid horde nights or try and simply run away to protect your base during the 7 day horde(This should be part of a hardcore mode)... Maybe if everything focused around the land claim block more it would make the tower defense part of the game a real core part of the 7day horde... As it is now you can store all your stuff anywhere you want and just run away on horde night or enter any random building/structure and jump to the roof during the auto homing 7dtd hordes... Fight to protect your land claim block or watch everything get destroyed. Hardcore... I think zombies were attracted to landclaim blocks at one time but I think storage should be part of it as well.

If all we had to do was protect our land claim block I would incase it in 12 layers deep of concrete at the minimum.

OK I think i've got it.

Bring back learn by doing but abusing it greatly adds to your heat map, I'm talking over 5 stone axes half a dozen screamers and vultures dive on those cheesers. Crafting should be making a lot of noise anyway so it should add to heat map. For legit builders who need to craft a lot should be using workstations for mass production as having a magical portable factory in your back pack is kinda silly anyways.

Armor abusers? If they're shagging a cactus then they should be making a lot of noise, 2mins of that a dozen screamers and vultures dive on their sick twisted ass. Pretty sure it would prevent abusing the system and legit players can enjoy immersing in character building/progression.

What else do cheesers do in MP? Last hitting to get that bonus xp? Is that cheesing? I kinda do that one myself SO rain down that dozen vultures and screamers on my cheesy ass. Surely if they can't spam level for more than a few times it would prevent abusive play?

Remarkable how many brain storms i get sitting on the toilet.

Does it take even remotely that long to kill a zombie? Or reload a bow?

If stamina were infinite from the start that would really pull the carpet out under quite some progression and items.

I don't think stamina was infinite in A16, either... until you bought the perks for that.

That's just rose-tinted glasses in remembering late game A16. =P

Nice assumption!

I usually restarted games because I felt like the early game was the best part. It was well balanced.

Now I can't muster to start a new a17 game.

That are the colors of my glasses.

And I guess sarcasm was lost in the interwebz. Or intentionally missiterprate :)

Edit: maybe you should play some a16 and see what progression felt like.

I made a 16k map on my dedicated server, but my friend when joining it was downloading it roughly to 55%

He then got kicked, and banned for 14 minutes. Why's this? :f

I assume the map's too big, and he was banned for latency / too long to download?

Archived