Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

The classic MMO solution is to throw mass amounts of content and recipes at the problem and mask the issue, an approach that would not work for TFP.

That kind of sounds as though content was something to avoid. For me, content is like toys in the sandbox (game). It's okay if you say you're not into expanding content to bridge "boredom" or making late game more interesting, but it kind of surprises me in a sandbox game - especially since it is a pretty easy way to make a lot of people happy.

So... will this game be playable in the next month?

Over a year and a half for one iteration is a little much...

(Yes, this is intentionally passive-aggressive. If I was being strictly aggressive I would get a ban. Just want an honest answer.)

If you are coming from this perpsective then the answer for you is likely "no"

I think it's a good solution. Why don't you want it?

-A

This is purely based on my opinion.

I'm not a fan the concept of spam crafting or spam anything to level. Now if I have to spam to level and it gets harder and harder this just elevates the problem.

I'm firmly in the camp of xp = points = perks.

I don't want to be forced to get hit to level my armor skill.

If you are coming from this perpsective then the answer for you is likely "no"

My perspective is from a person who has been playing this game since Alpha 7. One reasonably expects things to get better over time. This game peaked at Alpha 11/12 in my opinion. I still have some hope that it will get better, but 4 years of watching development has been rather tedious.

This is purely based on my opinion.

I'm not a fan the concept of spam crafting or spam anything to level. Now if I have to spam to level and it gets harder and harder this just elevates the problem.

I'm firmly in the camp of xp = points = perks.

I don't want to be forced to get hit to level my armor skill.

Armor shouldn't be a "skill". You either wear it if you don't. I could be convinced that /maybe/, wearing it for a long time increases your character's effectiveness with it... Not as a skill, but as a passive improvement.

My perspective is from a person who has been playing this game since Alpha 7. One reasonably expects things to get better over time. This game peaked at Alpha 11/12 in my opinion. I still have some hope that it will get better, but 4 years of watching development has been rather tedious.

Stop not liking what I like.

So you yanked out the entire system because some morons made a macro to fire 5000 crossbow bolts. Sounds legit. The very worst thing you can do is to engage and battle exploiters to this degree. Cover up the basic exploits yes. But now you are significantly changing the foundation of your game to go to war with at BEST a handful of people who will bang on a wood block all night to level their stone axe. What about the majority of players who WOULDN'T employ this tactic but rather enjoyed the system as it was? And were looking forward to improvements to it?

As I read this, all I can think is “The PvP people would disagree.” Seriously, to hear them tell it, they are a majority of the player base, and a spamcrafting exploit exactly is a problem for PvP. Just saying.

@devs

Please isolate the xp gain icon from everything else so it can be edited out of the UI without having to lose everything that is also in HUDRightStatBar, thanks.

I don't want to know when I kill them, thanks.

^^This. I really don't need that info spamming my screen all the time.

Armor shouldn't be a "skill". You either wear it if you don't. I could be convinced that /maybe/, wearing it for a long time increases your character's effectiveness with it... Not as a skill, but as a passive improvement.

I can't really disagree with you but it is what it is. Armor is a skill in the game and therefore effects my current opinion though it is hardly my only beef. I don't really like xp as you use things.

Admittedly in the scheme of things it's a minor beef. All this xp & leveling is just background noise to me. I can roll with almost any system as for me the game is immersive enough that I don't care. I'm just weighing in that if they do go back to learn as you go, by all that's holy don't make it harder than it was.

A miner and builder have difficulties that aren't really obvious to an adrenaline pumped fighter. A huge problem is self-hypnosis. The first sign I usually get of a wandering horde is my screen getting covered in blood :-)

https://drmichaelharris.com/repetition/

- - - Updated - - -

The fix for this is so easy.

Diminishing returns on crafting the same item more than once. Maybe 10 or so level 1 stone axes and you're receiving no XP from them. Add an XP bonus to crafting more complicated things and the crafter then has a mini-game of trying to source as many different types of materials and a reason to craft some things they wouldn't bother with otherwise.

I like the diminishing returns concept, but they did away with spamcrafting. Personally to me the granularity and the little details make the difference. Killing 1000 zeds and all of a sudden I can now craft with new materials and make guns whole cloth just by shooting a bow and swinging a club?

To me the learn by doing philosophy made a lot more sense but the squeaky wheel got the grease until we arrived here.

That came from Roland. I'm sure he was joking, but I too thought that the one-level-per-day idea is pretty great.

It would basically render every problem with XP balancing, level gating, etc. moot. There would be no XP at all, and no level gates needed since it's impossible build a "day 1 forge" or whatever.

This, and it would still allow players to choose skill trees according to their prefered play styles. So if I want to play the game without actively killing a single zombie (by e.g. running away, sneaking past, tricking them into traps) then I could do this without any penalties whatsoever.

But, actually, that choice might be why TFP don't do it. As you said, it can be considered too passive. Perhaps they're right, and if they are, it's why giving players too many choices can sometimes make the game less enjoyable.

make day 10 min long, sit on your base and sip a coffe. in 2 hours you have 12 points and you are good to go.

So... will this game be playable in the next month?

Over a year and a half for one iteration is a little much...

(Yes, this is intentionally passive-aggressive. If I was being strictly aggressive I would get a ban. Just want an honest answer.)

Edit:

Constructive post from Richard in another thread. Thanks Richard.

i hope, it will be playable in next month. it is very well playable now and i do not believe that TFP will screw it up.

Hmmm, loot as the reward, there is that. But that works for SP. For MP, not so much since then that means the fighters in the group are taking higher risk for everyone having the same loot (cause it'll be brought back to base and everyone can use it). Builder never leaves yet still gets all the loot and same level as fighters, etc. Typically, that should not matter because it means they use your stuff to make better defenses or stuff for you. I think the issue would then come down to PvP as to why a builder is just as strong as a fighter, since guns really will kill people quick no matter whether you perk into it or not.

<snip>

Well... I don't play MP but I expect that if the Fighters came back and the Builders just closed the gate to their castle... Haggiling might ensue :D

Point being folks are choosing to do the things they enjoy. And sharing the results of their efforts. Doesn't mean a 'fighter' can't build things, or a 'miner' not fight. I'm sure folks mix it up all the time in MP. And from what I've just recently seen of PvP fortresses I'd imagine good builders are pretty important to those clans.

Has anybody suggested tying your storage capability to your land claim block? That and zombie horde nights attacking the land claim block? I feel this could be a way to make it impossible to avoid horde nights or try and simply run away to protect your base during the 7 day horde(This should be part of a hardcore mode)... Maybe if everything focused around the land claim block more it would make the tower defense part of the game a real core part of the 7day horde... As it is now you can store all your stuff anywhere you want and just run away on horde night or enter any random building/structure and jump to the roof during the auto homing 7dtd hordes... Fight to protect your land claim block or watch everything get destroyed. Hardcore... I think zombies were attracted to landclaim blocks at one time but I think storage should be part of it as well.

You might be onto something there. Would definitely give the tower defense aspect part of the game more focus. Would need to figure out how the player factors in though. For example, if you try to lead a horde away from your land claim, do they lose interest and retargeting your claim block instead? What consequences are there to losing your claim block? Etc.

Also need to balance everything with multiplayer....*headache*

- - - Updated - - -

My body is ready...

Hahaha...mental images be gone!!!!

Archived