Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Is there a trick to placing bicycles the first time? I can't find any place for it to go green and I'm not sure if there's a trick I'm missing or if I've found a bug to report.

try to move bit, then try place it again. i had slight problem too. i moved few blocks and then was able to place bike

When have you ever seen the crew of the Walking Dead go outside the fence during a "horde" to loot the zombies? never that I can recall :)

I used to bring this up all the time in one way or another. Do you want to know what I learned? This game is clearly marketed as a zombie survival game with heavy doses of horror, but you would be shocked how many of these players have never seen the Walking Dead, never heard of a Romero and have no clue what a Bub is. It seems the crossover appeal is specifically Minecraft more than zombie. Which is fine.

Where I have a problem with this is when the non zombie crowd start asking for zombie nerfs and things detrimental to a horror game. Its like they forgot they were playing BOTH a building game and a zombie horror game.

This may have been asked before, but what is the best way to find iron now? With the iron-rich boulder gardens out of the picture, I have been running low on iron for building. Any clever ideas out there?

I've always felt the cost of upgrading iron blocks should be lowered slightly, so expensive. But wasteland biomes are good for iron, the scrap piles laying around add up rather quickly. Can also knock down those radio towers made of trussing blocks, generates a lot of scrap piles.

Sorry if this is in wrong area or already addressed...I'm fighting with the search engine on this forum and I finally gave up =/.

Can anyone tell me if the antibiotics are bugged on Alpha 17 (b208) right now? Or if maybe the mechanics of how you use them changed? It doesn't seem to matter when I take them or how much I take, my infection just keeps getting worse and I have to use nearly my whole stash of meds & food/H2O to stay alive...IF I'm lucky enough to be near my base.

Thanks much!

Sorry if this is in wrong area or already addressed...I'm fighting with the search engine on this forum and I finally gave up =/.

Can anyone tell me if the antibiotics are bugged on Alpha 17 (b208) right now? Or if maybe the mechanics of how you use them changed? It doesn't seem to matter when I take them or how much I take, my infection just keeps getting worse and I have to use nearly my whole stash of meds & food/H2O to stay alive...IF I'm lucky enough to be near my base.

Thanks much!

I think it's changed to not work instantly. It appears to gradually heal over the duration, but they do work. I usually use an antibiotic combined with a honey or herbal, or both.

@Royal Deluxe

Okay! so ... if I press z and place 1 marker block, then i open the prefab menu, i can load a prefab, and it will place the corner on that marker block. i still cant figure out how to get rid of the yellow box, but if i log off and back on, the box is gone and my prefab is there.

They just need tweaking as the devs say they are doing. I actually love that aspect, it's what brought me into the game. I saw 7DtD before it was in, and wasn't interested, once it added leveling and a feeling of progression, I've come to love this game. I know it's just something I love and not everyone does, but that feeling like I'm getting somewhere and not just a Zombie defense game made this great for me.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as you are trying to place it as you would a block, then I'm guessing it'd be a bug if you can't place it. I've had no issues.

Yeah I was trying. I submitted a bug report for it.

I agree with this. Yeah you have lots of choices but you can't actually make the choices because of the level gating. Really the only choices you have to make are what kind a weapon perk you will choose. The other stuff is so level gated that you really just end up taking what is available now because you will have extra points when you get the levels to get the one(s) you actually want.

They made a pretty decent skill tree with lots of choices and then level gated in such a way that their is in reality only a couple ways through it.

I honestly can't stand any form of level gating. This is why I wish they had left the old style of improvement through using it. Even now I dearly wish they would bring it back, maybe just for the attributes. Let those level as you use the skills associated with them. You wouldn't need gates, because progression is locked behind your ability to "train" that attribute, but at the same time you can specialize the area's you want to.

well, on the topic of zombie loot, MM said that we wouldnt get much, but when it dropped it would be worth it, not like a doorknob or any other junk. Unfortunately, whomever is in charge of the loot didnt listen. I am getting loot bags from zeds with a candle stick, 30 dukes, etc. where is the nice loot?

well, on the topic of zombie loot, MM said that we wouldnt get much, but when it dropped it would be worth it, not like a doorknob or any other junk. Unfortunately, whomever is in charge of the loot didnt listen. I am getting loot bags from zeds with a candle stick, 30 dukes, etc. where is the nice loot?

Define nice. Eventhough the game is not properly balaced yet, it is just brilliant. There must be no way to expect some sort of loot no matter wha t loot block you open.

I finally found a reason to complain about alpha 17! It's a big day for me.

I noticed that most of my deaths were caused by my inability to get out of the state of stealth. For the simple reason that I forget, at critical moments, to get up ... Obviously, I try to save myself at the speed of a dead donkey, and zombies laugh before tearing my head.

And why that, when it never happened on the previous alphas? Only because the darkened screen that accompanied the state of stealth has disappeared (or almost).

So ... I humbly ask if it would be possible to recover this good darkened screen that would prevent me from bludgeoning my keyboard under the effect of a slight rage.

If the devs think that the yellow bar is enough, I'll manage with that, but I wonder if I'm the only one to live this kind of sad experience.

I finally found a reason to complain about alpha 17! It's a big day for me.

I noticed that most of my deaths were caused by my inability to get out of the state of stealth. For the simple reason that I forget, at critical moments, to get up ... Obviously, I try to save myself at the speed of a dead donkey, and zombies laugh before tearing my head.

And why that, when it never happened on the previous alphas? Only because the darkened screen that accompanied the state of stealth has disappeared (or almost).

So ... I humbly ask if it would be possible to recover this good darkened screen that would prevent me from bludgeoning my keyboard under the effect of a slight rage.

If the devs think that the yellow bar is enough, I'll manage with that, but I wonder if I'm the only one to live this kind of sad experience.

As I only play dead is dead, I have totaled 23 deaths thus far, so 23 games. 9 of those directly tied to being stealthed and overlooking it at a critical moment. So far 7 deaths due to running out of stamina, 2 to game glitches, 4 deaths due to overconfidence, and 1 accidental suicide swallowing glass. Having been around as long as I have usually by this time in a new release I normally have the basics of survival down pat; Not so this time around. Currently not a happy camper, but we are still in experimental mode...so holding my tongue for now...

Thanks much!

I have heard similar complaints on the topic, you are not alone. However this perplexes me greatly as of the many games i have run thus far I have only been actually infected on 3 occasions out of the many times i have had the orange skull warning of "something coming on" and even then the infection just went away on its own.

Are you running a clean install, or adjusted settings or something because from what I have seen infections are a short lived inconvenience and not a threat.

Is there a trick to placing bicycles the first time? I can't find any place for it to go green and I'm not sure if there's a trick I'm missing or if I've found a bug to report.

they require a level surface so lay down a couple of wood frames and place bike on top of those, hop on ride off blocks and pick up blocks

if that doesnt work it may well be a bug

As I only play dead is dead, I have totaled 23 deaths thus far, so 23 games. 9 of those directly tied to being stealthed and overlooking it at a critical moment. So far 7 deaths due to running out of stamina, 2 to game glitches, 4 deaths due to overconfidence, and 1 accidental suicide swallowing glass. Having been around as long as I have usually by this time in a new release I normally have the basics of survival down pat; Not so this time around. Currently not a happy camper, but we are still in experimental mode...so holding my tongue for now...

ouch, that glass... hopefully wasn't too far in, lol. When I see that stuff, i just take my hand off the keyboard and only use mouse to move it around. I've watched friends die way too many times from that.

Thanks much!

I found that I can take some honey and by the time I finally have given up and am ready to try something else my infection is cured. It takes time, at least for me it takes minutes maybe 5 or 10 or more. It's a pain as there is nothing showing that it is working.

Define nice. Eventhough the game is not properly balaced yet, it is just brilliant. There must be no way to expect some sort of loot no matter wha t loot block you open.

ah, comprehension is something you were to tired to do. MM specifically stated the types of junk that wouldn't drop. That it would be nice, and stated what didnt constitute as nice. examples were listed.

I have started some mod'ing experiments.

1) For the zombie kills like The Walking Dead show, I boosted ammo damage (items.xml):

-9mm to 100 damage (which gives the SMG 80 and Pistol 100

-7.62 to 200 damage (which gives the AK 160 and the Marksman 250)

You can see how the type of gun automatically modifies the ammo's damage, which is logical.

2) I removed the level gates on attributes for emersion (I don't know or care what "level" I am) and opening up a broader range of play styles (Progression.xml)

- Set all 10 levels in each Attribute to "1".

I tried playing without level restrictions (there are modlets for this), but got bored. No reason to craft bicycles or minibikes when you can spend another point and get a bike, no point in iron tools when there are steel tools just a point away, etc. I like it better with level gates.

Thanks much!

I encountered this too. Got a minor infection and immediately took antibiotics. No effect that I could see so I also ate some honey. Also no effect that I could see.

I think this might be intentional - the antibiotics and/or honey may simply take some time to kick in. But if so there needs to ba a way to communicate this to the player.

FWIW there is a bug report filed about it, but it's buried somewhere in the middle of the thread.

Archived