Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Lvl 80 today, I decided to go under ground to find more ore (not in the desert, cause I was afraid to meet Royal Deluxe and I know he's very busy at the moment, trying to escape from collapsing sand ^^). Because I'm a lazy miner, I used to search lodes with a bunch of TNT. Can someone confirm that it's doesn't work for the moment (i'm not in the area of the LCB) ?

faatal's reply is the only dev comment I recall about this. But there's likely others in other threads I haven't read; maybe someone else can add more info?

hmm strange, the new one dont have steel and such, dosent seems as durable as old ones.

miss them xD

okay I searched the forums for sleeper threads, and didn't get what I was looking for. So I was clearing out the Ostrich Hotel in a random gen, went through the garage, 2 sleepers, check dead. Nurse and a decayed in the lobby, check dead. Worker and a tourist in the stairs, check dead.

I did not go to the top, because I could not remember what room it was in, found it later thanks to a frozen lumberjack beating the wall down, but I digress. So I loot 2 rooms and start back to my base, (encumbered), get home and realize that I still need to make some adjustments to my 7 day trap and go do that most of the next day, and then I proceed to weather the 7 day horde. Go back to the hotel on day 15, and much to my surprise, there are more sleepers in the hotel.

This is a bit game breaking, I replaced the door that I had broken down so I could get in, I walked by every door to every room, and they spawn again. Is this the way it's supposed to be? I mean I understand it's a game, it's experimental, yadaa, yadaa, yaddaa.... But with they way the backpack is, I get 2 maybe 3 trips back to the base with limited use of steroids, then the 3rd or 4th trip, I'll suffer from withdrawal, and won't use them, then I'll use them for the next trip.

Because otherwise going back is intolerably slow.

And while I don't mind killing the sleeper Z's because I can one shot them, (even the tourists and cops) with bonus sneak damage, plus boom! headshot, now I have to go back to the top to make sure I'm not going to wake anyone up above me, and potentially delay the timer as to when I can loot this area again.

Forum search doesn't seem to like me and doesn't give any results, so I'll ask here:

How is A17e running for people with AMD cards?

Curious about this, because a friend of mine offered his old R9 290 to me (in exchange I'd be detailing his car) as he just upgraded to a more recent GPU.

I am currently running a GTX 960, and the R9 290 seems like a decent upgrade.

okay I searched the forums for sleeper threads, and didn't get what I was looking for. So I was clearing out the Ostrich Hotel in a random gen, went through the garage, 2 sleepers, check dead. Nurse and a decayed in the lobby, check dead. Worker and a tourist in the stairs, check dead.

I did not go to the top, because I could not remember what room it was in, found it later thanks to a frozen lumberjack beating the wall down, but I digress. So I loot 2 rooms and start back to my base, (encumbered), get home and realize that I still need to make some adjustments to my 7 day trap and go do that most of the next day, and then I proceed to weather the 7 day horde. Go back to the hotel on day 15, and much to my surprise, there are more sleepers in the hotel.

This is a bit game breaking, I replaced the door that I had broken down so I could get in, I walked by every door to every room, and they spawn again. Is this the way it's supposed to be? I mean I understand it's a game, it's experimental, yadaa, yadaa, yaddaa.... But with they way the backpack is, I get 2 maybe 3 trips back to the base with limited use of steroids, then the 3rd or 4th trip, I'll suffer from withdrawal, and won't use them, then I'll use them for the next trip.

And while I don't mind killing the sleeper Z's because I can one shot them, (even the tourists and cops) with bonus sneak damage, plus boom! headshot, now I have to go back to the top to make sure I'm not going to wake anyone up above me, and potentially delay the timer as to when I can loot this area again.

If I remember correctly Sleepers will respawn roughly every 3 days. Its not game breaking. Place a drop chest and load it up. After you finish clearing grab the important resources or use Bike/Mini Bike storage. Encumbrance is all about risk versus reward.

I just hope the loot chance of guns will be reduced by ~90%. I just walked away from a gun shop with 8 shotguns, 3 smgs, 4 pistols, 3 hunting rifle, a sniper rifle and a rocket launcher.

Guns are the new scrap loot and my main source of mechanical parts and ammo. They would be everywhere in the setting anyway (Arizona) so it feels right to me as well. Past the first 10 or so levels I scrap 90% of them.

Mods are the new guns. Guns need some adjustments but I like that they are everywhere. My favorite pistol now has a silencer, extended mag, and burst- fire, though I still carry a bow or crossbow (needs work too) as well.

Guns are the new scrap loot and my main source of mechanical parts and ammo. They would be everywhere in the setting anyway (Arizona) so it feels right to me as well. Past the first 10 or so levels I scrap 90% of them.

Mods are the new guns. Guns need some adjustments but I like that they are everywhere. My favorite pistol now has a silencer, extended mag, and burst- fire, though I still carry a bow or crossbow (needs work too) as well.

yup i dont understand why the silenced pistol still make noise and attract Z'S , i will understand the screamer coz she is attracted to the heat any ways LOL

hey have been playing a17 exp. for abit of time, and noticed old big spike and fire spike is gone.

why is that removed

zombier have been harder to kill and defend horde night and now also less defence stuff to do it with? gg

any info why it was removed? and/or will it be replaced with something new to defend your base? despite cluster wooden and metal spikes?

Fire spike was never vanilla..... that's a mod thing.

I just hope the loot chance of guns will be reduced by ~90%. I just walked away from a gun shop with 8 shotguns, 3 smgs, 4 pistols, 3 hunting rifle, a sniper rifle and a rocket launcher.

You don't need to change anything in the game code for this. When you are starting a new game turn loot down to 50% and you will find less guns and stuff.

If you do not clear the entire building then as soon as you are more than 30m away for more than 60 seconds they will respawn. You have to clear it ALL for the days long respawn timer to be a thing, otherwise it's almost instant.

- - - Updated - - -

yup i dont understand why the silenced pistol still make noise and attract Z'S , i will understand the screamer coz she is attracted to the heat any ways LOL

Have you actually ever fired/heard a "silenced" pistol in RL? Damn sure isn't that movie scene little pop.......

If you do not clear the entire building then as soon as you are more than 30m away for more than 60 seconds they will respawn. You have to clear it ALL for the days long respawn timer to be a thing, otherwise it's almost instant.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you actually ever fired/heard a "silenced" pistol in RL? Damn sure isn't that movie scene little pop.......

lol thats true

there is no such thing as a silencer.

there is however a sound suppressor.

it reduces the noise

...... a bit

lol

faatal's reply is the only dev comment I recall about this. But there's likely others in other threads I haven't read; maybe someone else can add more info?

Fire spike was never vanilla..... that's a mod thing.

sorry my bad, last play was on valmod =) anyways still fever options :D with no steel, and or scrap iron ones :D only wood and forged make a big gap in between and after.

Now that gun parts have been removed it's harder to make money at the trader. Would be nice if the trader bought more than 3 gun types before it refreshes.

You can look for more traders or sell a lot of other things than guns. I'm day 30 and don't know what to do with all my cash ^^. I use it to buy ammos so I don't have to craft them - ammo craft should be removed anyway :)

Can we do something about the wolf tracking? Just started playing the experimental build and the wolves are by far the biggest problem.

First incident was at a Working Stiffs location, wolf was super aggressively hunting me down. Running in and out and around the store to try and get to me. Side note, shouldn't wolves and zombies fight each other? Seems weird that they team up to kill me. Why would they?

Second and much more worrying incident was that I was INSIDE of a house, I woke a bunch of sleepers and they came after me. Then while fighting them in the basement, a Dire Wolf who I'm assuming was "triggered" when the sleepers woke up, broke through some walls outside and found his way into the basement and upstairs into the house to hunt me down. Which for a zombie is already impressive (nice pathing improvements, by the way, A+) but for a wolf is just stupid, especially considering how he even knew I was in the house. I don't like zombies on the other side of walls being able to perfectly locate and track me and it's absolutely bonkers that a wolf is able to do it or would even want to do it.

Can we do something about the wolf tracking? Just started playing the experimental build and the wolves are by far the biggest problem.

First incident was at a Working Stiffs location, wolf was super aggressively hunting me down. Running in and out and around the store to try and get to me. Side note, shouldn't wolves and zombies fight each other? Seems weird that they team up to kill me. Why would they?

Second and much more worrying incident was that I was INSIDE of a house, I woke a bunch of sleepers and they came after me. Then while fighting them in the basement, a Dire Wolf who I'm assuming was "triggered" when the sleepers woke up, broke through some walls outside and found his way into the basement and upstairs into the house to hunt me down. Which for a zombie is already impressive (nice pathing improvements, by the way, A+) but for a wolf is just stupid, especially considering how he even knew I was in the house. I don't like zombies on the other side of walls being able to perfectly locate and track me and it's absolutely bonkers that a wolf is able to do it or would even want to do it.

wolves are very smart and they can detect pray far far away. regular wolf is easy to kill, you can put at least 2 arrows in before he reaches you. if you stand higher ground, you are safe.

So ... I humbly ask if it would be possible to recover this good darkened screen that would prevent me from bludgeoning my keyboard under the effect of a slight rage.

If the devs think that the yellow bar is enough, I'll manage with that, but I wonder if I'm the only one to live this kind of sad experience.

Stealth meter needs to be incorporated into the reticle, like it used to be. Doesn't need to be (and shouldn't be, imo) the eye symbol, but maybe something like the coloring of the stealth bar, but transferred to the reticle. If reticle is white, you aren't sneaking. If it is green-yellow-red, you are sneaking well-not so well-quite poorly.

On the suppressor/silencer noise bit.

Any decent can will lower sound pressure to below ~125 dbs; considered 'safe' without using hearing protection.

(let's ignore the extremes like a .50 BMG & stick to 'regular' stuff)

There is a significant difference in the sound of a sub-sonic vs. a super-sonic round being fired from the same firearm&can.

The super-sonic 'crack' is a sharp & noticable sound compared to the 'chuff' of the gases expanding.

RL I could fire a suppressed, sub-sonic .22lr in my house and someone a couple rooms away would be unlikely to notice.

Close a couple doors and the same would be true for a suppressed, sub-sonic 45ACP or 9mm.

The super-sonic crack for a small slow round (.22lr) is -very- different compared to something like 7.62x51

A suppressed 7.62's noise is quite different/odd compared to a non-suppressed shot.

The super sonic 'crack' is still quite loud and sharp, but it's point of origin is very fuzzy.

If you were a 100 yds away out in a field and someone fired a non-suppressed 7.62 you could easily point to within a couple degrees of where it was fired. Not so if it were suppressed; best you could do would be ~50-60 degree arc.

So yes, suppressed large bore pistols aren't as 'silent' as protrayed in the movies. But you certainly could fire a sub-sonic one inside an apartment without the apartment next door calling 911. Even with thin walls it would sound to the neighbor like you'd dropped something.

Basically, swinging a pickaxe at a piece of metal would be quite a bit louder. & yes, all the above from rw experiance. err.. except the shooting indoors bit, that's generally illegal so I most certainly didn't do that :D

wolves are very smart and they can detect pray far far away. regular wolf is easy to kill, you can put at least 2 arrows in before he reaches you. if you stand higher ground, you are safe.

Hi yes I was inside of a house fighting zombies and it broke a door, ran down some stairs and ran up through the basement. Wolves are not that smart. Also how did it spot me? Because a zombie woke up it sent the wolf a text? If I'm outside in the forest it's one thing, but I am in a house with fully formed walls.

Archived