Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Well Sleeper spawning is still completely broken tho either way. You kill all zombies in a house or lead them outside, you go back in, there is a completely new set of zombies.

I'm sure the devs are already working on that so not gonna press that part.

But the real gripe I have is that using bandages and drinking + eating food etc is on left click now. Right click is the standard in all of the survival game genre. Why change it? I used right click for over 1.2k hours on steam. Why is it left click now? That has literally gotten me killed a few times already in A17. Its one of these completely unnecessary changes.

Just did a second speed run of business_strip_old_03. I turned on dm and used num pad 0, to watch all the spawning. It was flawless. Give that a try. Open console, enter dm, then press num pad 0. You will see text over every zombie's head (and through walls). Enter POI, kill, leave or whatever and see if you are actually missing zombies you didn't see. Respawns should be of the same zombies you left behind.

Just did a second speed run of business_strip_old_03. I turned on dm and used num pad 0, to watch all the spawning. It was flawless. Give that a try. Open console, enter dm, then press num pad 0. You will see text over every zombie's head (and through walls). Enter POI, kill, leave or whatever and see if you are actually missing zombies you didn't see. Respawns should be of the same zombies you left behind.

I actually filed a bug report on this already and I tried it with a Working Stiff Tools store. I looted that one in A16 many times before, I know the layout. I went in, woke up all zombies, led them outside. Walked back in and the building was full again despite all zombies that I spawned from it being lured and waiting for me outside (well not exactly waiting... more like banging away on my barricades).

I went out again with that new set, and repeated another 2 times. Thats not "unseen zombies". Thats a broken spawn system. I am not sure if that applies to all sleepers in any structure or just some structures and if it depends on a type of volume. But thats what happened.

Also not trying to be annoying but is there any way we can use item again on rightclick? Bandages, food, etc, like it is the standard in the whole survival genre? Right now using is on left click. I wouldn't mind relearning if it was a change that made sense but it doesnt and isnt consistent either. Hitting with a stone axe is left click, but USING with a stone axe (upgrading, repairing) is right click. But using items that don't have an attack is left click? Please deal with that, I'm begging you!

A random bug that I don't have enough details to make a report: I logged out of the game my friend and I have going (they are the host), and apparently she said I spewed a few stacks of arrows everywhere soon as I left. I wasn't crafting any, however, if this matters, they were in a recently unlocked encumbrance row.

A random bug that I don't have enough details to make a report: I logged out of the game my friend and I have going (they are the host), and apparently she said I spewed a few stacks of arrows everywhere soon as I left. I wasn't crafting any, however, if this matters, they were in a recently unlocked encumbrance row.

I think there is a setting that you drop stuff when you log out

But the real gripe I have is that using bandages and drinking + eating food etc is on left click now. Right click is the standard in all of the survival game genre. Why change it? I used right click for over 1.2k hours on steam. Why is it left click now? That has literally gotten me killed a few times already in A17. Its one of these completely unnecessary changes.

Yeah this has killed me a few times but i'm getting used to it

I can't see a single post with you asking me for my PC specs but I will answer.

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G

i7 8700k

64 GB Ram

That should be enough for you.

EDIT: i7 not i9. I want to buy i9 soon.

I have almost a similar build but with 32gb. I'm running at +70FPS, high settings (with some options lowered), 2560x1440

how are we supossed to get food early game ? looting a house takes half a day and gives u 3 food items if u lucky , cant harvest zombies for flesh , snowberries do nothing so satiate food farming takes a long time till you can start reaping the rewards even only thing possible is boiling eggs wich waste your bottles or getting lucky enough to find a animal

Yeah this has killed me a few times but i'm getting used to it

Shouldn't be like that tho in the first case. If anything, it should be an option. Left clicking to use items but inconsistently since tools still have their "use" feature on right click ... thats just not a good system and it goes against the standard set by the whole survival game genre. Getting used to it? Does it matter if you get used to it? You get used to a pain in the wrist, but that doesnt mean the pain in the wrist is good or should be there.

- - - Updated - - -

how are we supossed to get food early game ? looting a house takes half a day and gives u 3 food items if u lucky , cant harvest zombies for flesh , snowberries do nothing so satiate food farming takes a long time till you can start reaping the rewards even only thing possible is boiling eggs wich waste your bottles or getting lucky enough to find a animal

Find corn fields in villages, or blueberries. That worked nicely for me for a while until I got myself enough meat to use that as a main food source.

Okay...

Who made the campsite s with the 2 mines literally 1 block from the seat where people gathered around the campfire?

Seriously who would do that? Do not answer this second question because I will.

Only you who designed this POI would do that, nobody else on Earth would be foolish enough to put landmines next to their campfire seat.

What if they fell off their chair or were drinking and forgot why would you put high explosives where you and everyone around you would be blown up?

Ugh NVM I'll find it and change it myself been changing and fixing things for about 16 hours now and still not even close to a quarter of the way through this mess.

Right now I am trying to fix the Micro stutters and game freezes caused by things spawning in. This should take me provably the rest of the week. I fixed the temperature that was a pain. Been tweaking the lighting issues can't seem to get it right no matter what. Its better than it was but I think it is the way the new Unity is handling it that I provably won't be able to fix it. Every update I have to spend days and days of sifting through everything.

I have to say this....Why is everything in such disarray... I mean even the xml's... ever heard of Alphabetical order? Its really handy for finding stuff puts all the like things together if you name them that way and saves some time of doing a search for everything. That was my first 3 hours organizing that mess, than temperature, that took oh the better part of the Day. than lighting. Now onto freezes and stutters.

Seriously I am sure it will take me a week to fix this for the IDK 4th time in 4 years.

I remember last year someone telling me the code doesn't work that way... I am sure what they meant was they do not know how or couldn't be bothered writing it that way. Because the code does work that way it will work anyway you tell it to work but if you take short-cuts and slap it together well you have what we get every update a bug ridden mess.

I should wait but I love to see the patches you all put on stuff.. Like the invisible animals hack from last year..

Seriously why is this still a thing that has stayed in why have you not figured out another way to make the different animals and amounts spawn? I did it in about an hour last year ...Sure I used a few tweaks of my own, but I didn't make up an animal that doesn't exist but actually it still does because it is one more thing that is held and calculated.

Well then role play you have some amnesia and forgot how to cook. You do wake up naked with a can of chili. What is up with that? In Ark you cant even make a campfire without a perk so don't feel bad.

Actually.. It's harder to make a campfire than to boil an egg. unless u have gasoline :D

Lol role playing ameesia.. that's the laziest plot ever in games, movies and books.

I role played that i can cook...imagine that :D

Thank you TFP for console commands!

The penalties are not hard at all, you are still better than a new character who just spawned because you can keep all your base perks that have no requirement no matter what. Having consequences increases the feeling of gratitude when you do survive a tough situation and should make you strive to not die if you dislike the penalties that much. I'm thinking of some hard to craft grandpa's rejuvinating oil or something that takes away the sting of death though, but haven't had time to make it yet.

Ah good thinking. Rejuvinating oil/drink would be very good thing :) Tho think it shouldn't be too hard to craft so it dont takes more that 30 min to complete and feels more rewarding that just waiting for this death debuff to wear off.

This gives me another idea: It would be rly nice to have some sort of mod (craftable or lootable) that removes this death penalty permanently or a special (like legendary item (special drink/medkit/amulet/etc)) that removes this effect if u keep it in your inventory (occupies 1 slot in backpack). Either way you could obtain it by special crafting/looting a boss zombie/looting a special chest or by quest :)

It that way it seems WIN WIN situation :) death debuff is still real but theres a way to avoid it fore those who want :)

Okay...

Who made the campsite s with the 2 mines literally 1 block from the seat where people gathered around the campfire?

Seriously who would do that? Do not answer this second question because I will.

Only you who designed this POI would do that, nobody else on Earth would be foolish enough to put landmines next to their campfire seat.

What if they fell off their chair or were drinking and forgot why would you put high explosives where you and everyone around you would be blown up?

Ugh NVM I'll find it and change it myself been changing and fixing things for about 16 hours now and still not even close to a quarter of the way through this mess.

Right now I am trying to fix the Micro stutters and game freezes caused by things spawning in. This should take me provably the rest of the week. I fixed the temperature that was a pain. Been tweaking the lighting issues can't seem to get it right no matter what. Its better than it was but I think it is the way the new Unity is handling it that I provably won't be able to fix it. Every update I have to spend days and days of sifting through everything.

I have to say this....Why is everything in such disarray... I mean even the xml's... ever heard of Alphabetical order? Its really handy for finding stuff puts all the like things together if you name them that way and saves some time of doing a search for everything. That was my first 3 hours organizing that mess, than temperature, that took oh the better part of the Day. than lighting. Now onto freezes and stutters.

Seriously I am sure it will take me a week to fix this for the IDK 4th time in 4 years.

I remember last year someone telling me the code doesn't work that way... I am sure what they meant was they do not know how or couldn't be bothered writing it that way. Because the code does work that way it will work anyway you tell it to work but if you take short-cuts and slap it together well you have what we get every update a bug ridden mess.

I should wait but I love to see the patches you all put on stuff.. Like the invisible animals hack from last year..

Seriously why is this still a thing that has stayed in why have you not figured out another way to make the different animals and amounts spawn? I did it in about an hour last year ...Sure I used a few tweaks of my own, but I didn't make up an animal that doesn't exist but actually it still does because it is one more thing that is held and calculated.

What if the 2 campers had gotten bit and were protecting others by placing them there to end their own lives once they turned.

A16 they would have walked straight onto them as they had planned. But somebody updated and made them dang well jump lol

I absolutely love a17. I can't tell you how many "oh ♥♥♥♥" or my infamous screech moments I've had, but man it is a scary game now. Takes a bit to relearn, but it comes to you.

I feel like I did back when I started in a9, but this is what I call a zombie game. It has been fun watching and experiencing the evolution of this game and I look forward to seeing where it is headed.

Thanks to everyone at TFPs for all the hard work and for dealing with all of our crying!!! Have an amazing holiday!!!

Yesterday saw this bug:

original.png

Also saw some other.

1. We killed party member with punches, when settings was to kill strangers only.

2. When killed party member died, he couldn't move and needed to logout. From our side it looked, like his full body was broken and lying on ground!

3. Some houses spawn kinda in air and happens that they are falling down and getting destroyed by themselves.

4. Multiple translation string issues, like some contains "XUI" in them.

Been playing the heck out A17-E, literally.

Must've been lucky, no bugs or crashes yet.

Although while pedaling backwards running from a (feral?) grey wolf I kept punching but the wolf's hits never registered.

Maybe I timed my punches right so he couldn't land the bite attacks? It just seemed off, I won though.

A17 is great, feels like a whole new game. Best release to date, thanks TFP :)

The penalties are not hard at all, you are still better than a new character who just spawned because you can keep all your base perks that have no requirement no matter what. Having consequences increases the feeling of gratitude when you do survive a tough situation and should make you strive to not die if you dislike the penalties that much. I'm thinking of some hard to craft grandpa's rejuvinating oil or something that takes away the sting of death though, but haven't had time to make it yet.

At this point, adding anything that helps remove the death debuff negates the sole purpose of said debuff which is just a terrible idea.

If theres a way to make a potion that removes such an important debuff on death, people will just make a couple of potions and rush POI's for loot ignoring the threat because they have a special item that cures their problems.

Instead of making it easier, make it harder. Make infection mean something, make a small minigame of sorts of needing to change bandages and using medication to stop infection.

I have seen on a couple of streams people dying on horde night and jumping into zombie hordes to get their stuff back from the backpack. Make a cooldown on a sleeping bag so a second respawn on it takes 10 min or more, so you can only respawn on a random location thus preventing people from abusing such mechanic.

Lock nerdpoling on perks obtainable in late game etc. etc.

Death in 7d2d should have more severe consequences, so people plan their way in and out of a POI, not just rush in blindly. There are always lower difficulty options to choose from for people that find the game too hard.

I think everyone noticed how the increased difficulty achieved by new mechanics added more fun and enjoyment when compared to A16.

Title Changed alpha 17 gamestage calculation

The current gamestage calculation of alpha 17 is as follows.

gameStage = ( playerLevel + daysSurvived ) * gameDifficultyMultiplier.

I would like to increase the influence of daysSurvived on gameStage, but in the above calculation I can not MOD in XML.

so I hope that that will be modified as follows

gameStage = ( playerLevel * playerLevelDifficultyBonus + daysSurvived * daysAliveDifficultyBonus ) * gameDifficultyMultiplier.

Taking my preference as an example, make the following settings for the two newly added parameters.

playerLevelDifficultyBonus = 0.3

daysAliveDifficultyBonus = 11.0

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?94648-Changed-alpha-17-gamestage-calculation&p=874691#post874691

Archived