Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

It may have already been mentioned, but "Item Assembly" Journal still refers to the old "put the parts together for a weapon" description.

Also, living off the Land references to getting more resources from animals and farming, but perk descriptions only indicate there is a farming benefit.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice but figured I would put it out there just in case.

Really long time lurker on these forums (addicted since about Alpha 10) and reset my password and logged in just to say great job on this update.

visuals, difficulty, skill trees, mods and combat are all greatly improved, and you can see how with minor balancing the game will be a joy to play on multiple play styles.

I played for a few hours last night and found green joggers which reduce stamina usage when running. Never been so happy to find a poor pair of joggers in a loot container. Just shows you that these new items with mods and effects will be amazing.

Anyway, congrats from one of the silent majority TFP team

Ironically, the only thing im not enjoying is the "improved" lighting. I have to crank gamma way down to get a look similar to A16 but then it seems the darkness at night lasts untill noon.

We are still tweaking the lighting and some biomes had problems with moonlight coming from below ground.

Is the 60% performance drop (with a terrifying input lag) and graphic faded colors because of experimental build ?

It was mentioned there is much optimizing to do. There are no promised, but performance should improve as the move towards a stable build. This is common with experimental. This is my 3rd game I've been a part of an experimental stage so not an expert, but not new to it. Just hang in there and keep your fingers crossed.

Zombies either got alot stealthier or, they are spawning behind us. That is a problem. If I clear a room, I do not want to turn around to have a zombie spawn in magically and attack me.

Zombies spawn 6m before you enter a sleeper volume. The POI designers have put them in all kinds of hiding places like ceilings, cabinets, behind TVs or crouching in corners where they are hard to see. It is easy to think you cleared a room, but have not.

I'm sure this has already been brought up, but is moving fast up/down ladders gone? I hold shift and I actually seem to move slower. Figured this was such an obvious thing, I would post here instead of submitting a bug report unless this is new news. Anyone?

New ladder code and more realistic climb speed.

Agreed, I had a wandering horde spawn at night and I puckered up and didn't breath. They didn't touch my POI base... Morning came and took them out one at a time with my iron club. Living this! Thanks MM and crew!

Yeah I made the deadly mistake of going outside trying to take them out at night. A feral wight had his own plans.

Despite the haters of this, I love it (along with I'm sure most). The highest anything I have is lvl 2 and no mods yet on Day 3. Just knowing I have a long time before I am OP makes me happy.

I would love to get working on a serious build but with the slow progression, I'm guessing I won't be ready to take on a horde at a base until at least day 21 horde. I have a love hate with that idea, but mostly love because it will feel AWESOME when I finally get there. The accomplished feeling will be much more real in A17.

Yes delayed gratification is always better.

Im finding that its almost impossible for me to play in melee range now with the change to the sprinting backwards. When i play with friends i tend to get a stable 190-200 ping and that was fine playing A16, but with this change, i cant evade hits from sprinting back or side ways.

Anyone have melee tips? I can’t seem to find a fluid strategy of attack that doesn’t get me pummeled.

1 on 1 just be aggressive. Hitting them interrupts their attack I think. I saw streamers knocking them down and backing off, then complaining they get up too fast. But actually as long as you have stamina you can stand over them and finish them off pretty easy.

hi guys im new to the forums but i see a lot of players complaining about performance issues i am ok because my pc can power through the bad optimization even though i had to lower my settings a bit compared to previous alphas but we are a group of 6 people and only 2 of us have a playable fps (never going under 20 all the time) i see on steam for the first time the reviews for this game are going to skew more to the negative because of this , we all now that its still experimental but is there even any hope in this game being optimized? most of us have less fps now than what we had 5 years ago in way worse computers isnt optimization what is holding back 7 days to die from becoming from a decent indie to a memorable game ?

Sorry no hope. The apocalypse is upon us...

Of course there is hope. We optimize things on a regular basis, but then we add and changes features that use up performance. Back and forth it goes. This is experimental. It seems the majority of people don't know or forget that. It will get better. By how much, I don't know.

It would be realy good point it real life but ...

Well where should I start ..?

THIS IS A GAME, not real life ... Why people usually play games??? Because they want to get away from reality for some time! Its a fact, many of corse will deny it, but thats the way it is.

Okey if this game aims for the ''real survival simulation'' genre its all ok ..

Dying debuff, is it rly necessary?? We already get our hp and stamina nerfed to ground by dying .. and sometimes it just get you to point when you just place down your bedroll and start wacking stuff and die over and all over again despite all debuffs ..

My point is: this is just a game and its ment to be fun

A16 - Was abusing hell out of that game, exploiting zed AI, creating OP bases, building huge, mining was easy - got you alot of resorces and was excelent way of lvling up (even if skill was maxed sill got u exp), was using glitches in my advantage, every playthrogh i died around 200 times (wellness system was good but wasnt too motivating (maybe adding some wellness buffs for different wellness lvls would bin good idea, like bonus stamina/hp reg, faster attack speed, etc) And no matter how I did things I dint feel punished for it, I enjoyed every minute of it, even hiding underground and mining in horde night felt fun, and if I suddenly changed my mind I could go out and start defending myself from horde on some random house roof ..

I have like 1k+ hours on this game, and I have enjoyed hell out of it by NOT playing by ''real'' survival rules :)

And at the same time there was ppls who builded their wellness up, was responsible farmers, reinforced prefab buildings, in other words did all what real survivalist did.

Everyone got what they wanted and none felt punished :) Happy end ^^

Point of this story: Reward true survivalists but pls dont dont nerf and punish too hard other ppls who maybe enjoy this game a little different way and get killed a bit offten then others :D

Still a17 feels promising

The penalties are not hard at all, you are still better than a new character who just spawned because you can keep all your base perks that have no requirement no matter what. Having consequences increases the feeling of gratitude when you do survive a tough situation and should make you strive to not die if you dislike the penalties that much. I'm thinking of some hard to craft grandpa's rejuvinating oil or something that takes away the sting of death though, but haven't had time to make it yet.

Any reasoning behind why I could be sitting in one place and my stealth goes from 3 and climbs up to 15-20ish without me moving a muscle? Just wondering if it is a balancing glitch or if there is something else going on with my character that is making a little noise. Should I post this in the bug reporting forum or is this known?

Did your lighting change?

my two cents

love the game overall, having said this, I am only gonna point out what I feel needs adjusting

1. bleed affect needs to be down tweaked, bleeds out too fast slow it down by perhaps 10 - 20%

2. vultures attack too fast, again, slowing their attack speed would be advisable, shouldn't attack as fast as the 9mm pistol, or so it feels

3. like the stamina drain, but the grey side of the stamina needs to drain a little slower as well. tying it to food was understandable, but I shouldn't need to eat 6 times a day on a 90 minute day to keep stamina up.

4. random hordes are a lil op. day 2 and day 3 saw some serious soldier and dog hordes which are too strong for that game stage

the rest are mostly just bug fixes that are being addressed. keep up the good work. havent been challenged like this in quite some time

3: Stamina is totally based on the amount of stamina you regenerate, so if you are running marathons and doing power attacks non stop you need a lot of food compared to someone doing less. There are perks like slow metabolism that you might like and perks which use less stamina.

I know you probably hate putting a time out there but is this coming in a patch for the exp build or will we have to wait a while for it in stable form?

We will be putting optimizations in as we go, so should show up in experimental like other changes do, so they can be tested. This is a process that takes time. Probably no one will spend an hour and the game magically runs twice as fast. Optimizations will also lead to some bugs, like all code changes tend to do.

Im finding that its almost impossible for me to play in melee range now with the change to the sprinting backwards. When i play with friends i tend to get a stable 190-200 ping and that was fine playing A16, but with this change, i cant evade hits from sprinting back or side ways.

Can you try single player and see if its any better? THen we know if its lag or your technique. I have no problem avoiding getting hit, but I use a fireaxe because of the awesome range it has. We nerfed back and strafe movement because it was basically Quake 1 and not like a modern game. You can't run sideways or backwards as fast. THis makes combat more of a challenge which was desperately needed.

Archived