Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Can I be your buddy?

I know rocks 'n stuff.

What's your 40-yard dash speed? (If it's slower than mine, you can be my buddy.)

True story: Some fitness friends (a married couple) of mine did one of those zombie runs. She lost a couple of flags kind of early, so he was posted up next to her to shield her remaining flag. They got ambushed by zombies, so he ran off and left her. The zombies broke character and asked, "Was that your husband?" She confirmed it. They said, "That was cold. We'll let you go."

The moral: Always be faster than your buddy. (And maybe a secondary moral that apocalypses break marriages.)

Zombie AI is definitely improved, but the conga line grouping still exist. If zombies spread out when going after you they would be a much bigger threat.

That won't change until movement speeds are randomized...

No matter the spread, if they are heading to a singular place, you, they will eventually conga.

Watering down survival aspects of a survival game is generally a terrible idea. And I'm not saying they should remove nerdpoling, just lock it behind a perk, acrobatics or such.

I was nerdpoling without a problem. I can't sneak and do it yet, but when my stat is high enough it looks like I can. get to the jump 2 blocks high and try it while sneaking

Ok, so I am at day 8, at 90min days so I have put in a few hours into the game so far using both melee and ranged combat and it feels different but you get used to it after a couple of hours.

The one MAIN mechanism that I am finding absolutely frustrating (at least at this stage of the game) is this tying up food and drink together to influence max stamina/health value. You can drink a bucket of water but if you don't eat first to up the max stamina value it is essentially wasted water.

In the same way is the food/max health relation. You can eat a whole cow but if you don't apply multiple bandages to bring up the max heath first it is completely wasted food.

This new food/water/stamina/health system seems to be much more complicated than it should be and means you have to run around the whole day with the limited inventory space that you have and ALWAYS have bandages+drink+food on you. Does it really need to be such a puzzle? What was wrong with the A16 health system again??

And of course juggling all that stuff while trying to kill a bunch of dogs is practically impossible.

Which of course brings up the BLEED debuff!!

That debuff has to be seriously scaled down. Starting to bleed (Which seems to be 90% likely now with any zombie contact) is almost certain death in many situations (ie dog group). You bleed, switch immediately to bandage to stop it, get hit again, start bleed again... Goodbye!

If you ignore the bleed and still need to kill more than one dog (which is usually the case), that bleed sucks all your health in 5 seconds flat and it is the Grim Reaper again :(

And if by some miracle you survive all that? >> bandage... bandage ... bandage , eat... eat... eat, drink... drink... drink! Gets old really quick!

And having just survived the first horde night, I am sorry to say this but the zombies AI does not seem to be handling anything any differently from A16:

- Not one climbed my 1 block above ground ladders (In fact, the 1st thing they seem to destroy are the ladders).

- The spider zombie couldn't jump or even climb anything at all.

- Although the run in circles when player is above them routine is thankfully not happening anymore.

Sure they are going through the blocks like butter but they are still as dumb as ever.

Sorry, sounds like lots of criticism but in general I am really liking this version so far so thanks for all your hard work guys.

I owe you more than 3000 hours of fun playing this game (as of now!) ;)

We are working on armor giving you some bleed resistance and armor mods to improve it further, and a fortitude perk that will reduce the effects of bleeding.

What's your 40-yard dash speed? (If it's slower than mine, you can be my buddy.)

True story: Some fitness friends (a married couple) of mine did one of those zombie runs. She lost a couple of flags kind of early, so he was posted up next to her to shield her remaining flag. They got ambushed by zombies, so he ran off and left her. The zombies broke character and asked, "Was that your husband?" She confirmed it. They said, "That was cold. We'll let you go."

The moral: Always be faster than your buddy. (And maybe a secondary moral that apocalypses break marriages.)

I can run 40 yards per hour!

Yeah definitely can't have them not waking up at all either. Once a nice balance is met it should be fantastic; that's the point of experimental after all. You guys are doing a great job. :)

Mind breaking down how to achieve that? 150 sounds great and more like what I'd probably expect, but 36 is the absolute top end I seem to be able to achieve. I'd like to test it further so I'll know if there's just something I'm missing or I'm experiencing a bug of some sort so I can report it properly.

This is how I end up with that result:

https://imgur.com/a/B8VqXNo

Since I believe I've already been called a "hater", I just thought I'd throw out there that my comments have all been just calm criticism based on my experience thus far. Even with the issues I've had I think this update is amazing and the time spent on it shows. It really does feel like a new game in many ways. Seriously great work from all of you. Apologies if I came across as harsh or anything. Context is difficult in text form at times.

Max your strength and mining related perks and install mods into a steel pickaxe. Make sure to power attack. I didn't even consider the faster fire rate perks which improve DPS and we don't have a full suite of mining mods yet so you can't maximize damage yet on pickaxes.

If you already had two heart attacks, why would you play a scary survival game at ALL? That makes no sense, unless you are playing it on the most easy mode.

There are 3 Different kinds of stress

* Horror (i dont perceive any horror thanks to my Beta Blocker)

* The mentiones stress i described above

* And finally the Adrenalin stress you get as example in PVP

The last one i take only in small doses

I normally dont argue with my illnes. In that case its simply so that i see no benefit to make the Stamina so low.

For the moment i modded it in a value i can still play with fun but perceive it still as Drawback

<attribute name="attAgility" name_key="attAgilityName" desc_key="attAgilityDesc" icon="ui_game_symbol_agility">
	<level_requirements level="1"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" operation="GTE" value="1" desc_key="reqGenericLevel01"/></level_requirements>
	<level_requirements level="2"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" operation="GTE" value="1" desc_key="reqGenericLevel02"/></level_requirements>
	<level_requirements level="3"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" operation="GTE" value="1" desc_key="reqGenericLevel03"/></level_requirements>
	<level_requirements level="4"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" operation="GTE" value="20" desc_key="reqGenericLevel04"/></level_requirements>
	<level_requirements level="5"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" operation="GTE" value="30" desc_key="reqGenericLevel05"/></level_requirements>
	<level_requirements level="6"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" operation="GTE" value="40" desc_key="reqGenericLevel06"/></level_requirements>
	<level_requirements level="7"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" operation="GTE" value="50" desc_key="reqGenericLevel07"/></level_requirements>
	<level_requirements level="8"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" operation="GTE" value="60" desc_key="reqGenericLevel08"/></level_requirements>
	<level_requirements level="9"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" operation="GTE" value="80" desc_key="reqGenericLevel09"/></level_requirements>
	<level_requirements level="10"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" operation="GTE" value="100" desc_key="reqGenericLevel10"/></level_requirements>
	<effect_group>
		<passive_effect name="StaminaMax" operation="base_set" value="[u][i][b]200,280[/b][/i][/u]" level="1,9"/>
		<passive_effect name="StaminaMax" operation="base_set" value="[u][i][b]300[/b][/i][/u]" level="10"/>
		<passive_effect name="StaminaMax" operation="base_set" value="[b][i][u]305,350[/u][/i][/b]" level="11,20"/>

and

<!-- Athletics Perks (Agility) -->
<perk name="perkRuleOneCardio" parent="skillAthletics" name_key="perkRuleOneCardioName" desc_key="perkRuleOneCardioDesc" icon="ui_game_symbol_cardio">
	<level_requirements level="1"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attAgility" operation="GTE" value="1" desc_key="reqAgilityLevel1"/></level_requirements>
	<level_requirements level="2"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attAgility" operation="GTE" value="3" desc_key="reqAgilityLevel3"/></level_requirements>
	<level_requirements level="3"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attAgility" operation="GTE" value="5" desc_key="reqAgilityLevel5"/></level_requirements>
	<level_requirements level="4"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attAgility" operation="GTE" value="7" desc_key="reqAgilityLevel7"/></level_requirements>
	<level_requirements level="5"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attAgility" operation="GTE" value="10" desc_key="reqAgilityLevel10"/></level_requirements>

<effect_group>
		<effect_description level="1" desc_key="perkRuleOneCardio1" desc_base="Increases stamina regeneration by 15% when walking or idle."/>
		<effect_description level="2" desc_key="perkRuleOneCardio2" desc_base="Increases stamina regeneration by 22.5% when walking or idle."/>
		<effect_description level="3" desc_key="perkRuleOneCardio3" desc_base="Increases stamina regeneration by 30% when walking or idle."/>
		<effect_description level="4" desc_key="perkRuleOneCardio4" desc_base="Increases stamina regeneration by 37.5% when walking or idle."/>
		<effect_description level="5" desc_key="perkRuleOneCardio5" desc_base="Increases stamina regeneration by 45% when walking or idle."/>

<passive_effect name="StaminaChangeOT" operation="perc_add" value="[u][i][b]0.2[/b][/i][/u],0.3" level="1,5" tags="running"/>
	</effect_group>
</perk>

We are working on armor giving you some bleed resistance and armor mods to improve it further, and a fortitude perk that will reduce the effects of bleeding.

One might say you guys are "experimenting" with things... =)

I'm looking into varying the death penalty buff's length of time based on player level. Seems to be a gripe that people who aren't me have, so maybe 15 mins for level 1s, up to several hours for level 300's.

I need to add more:

1. Food poisoning. You eat can food, you get 5% of food poisoning. WHAT? This is dumb change.

2. When you start the game on normal difficulty level you have to shoot 8-12 arrows IN THE HEAD OF A ZOMBIE to kill it. Wow. I think we will need 3 nukes to kill 1 zombie in alpha 38.

3. When you hit bedside lamp at night It lights up for 0,3 sec... I don't think testers played this game for more than 20 minutes.

4. Looting zombies. "Guys we have problems with optimizing the game, I think we have enough experience to optimize the game, lets remove looting from zombies so performance is improved." < XD. This games runs like ******* anyway.

5. Let's make our game realistic!! > Zombie randomly droping a bag?

6. You will never know that electric components exists untill you type it in a search bar. There is no icon to search for such items. If you are new to the game... Good luck.

They show up in the workstation you can craft them at. Why clutter the basic survival menu with stuff you can't craft? It slows it down like crazy too, the more workstations we have the less menu lag.

Yay.. keep dem updates coming. Your doing a great job.. This weekend I will have 8h straight game play.. the joy!

- - - Updated - - -

One might say you guys are "experimenting" with things... =)

I'm looking into varying the death penalty buff's length of time based on player level. Seems to be a gripe that people who aren't me have, so maybe 15 mins for level 1s, up to several hours for level 300's.

I haven't died so i cant personally relate to the penalty but i can relate to both sides, and having it based on level, days or difficultiy seems like the way to go. We all have our own preferences.

ok so we are on day 10(two players) 90min days. we stil do not understand everything, but we have been trying out some different things.

alot of the things are really great and some not so much, but the reaper debuff you get when you die, oh my god i really hate it with all of my heart, especially because it lasts so long, on the plus side i will do everything not to die now so i guess it works as intended. there are still some balancing and bugs to iron out, and yes faatal your zombies are a much bigger challenge now:smile-new:

Took a look on A17 experemental. What can I say... 1,5 years of development, and we get THIS??7? "encuberance system", hell yeah. Everyone have clothes with pockets, different size backpacks, we have "encumberance system". Gr8! Graphycs looks modern, like new games thet looks and feels like "plastic". New combat system sucks. When you deal with 2 zombies, 3 more come to you. I'm really disappointed, worst alpha ever! Too bad, thet I can't get my money back after allmost 2000 hours of fun.

Hire SDX team, they can make great game for you.

Archived