Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Don't be such a drama queen, that's usually my role around here. ^^

Edit: Here's to hoping TFP don't give in to the people wanting it easier/more casual.

Drama queen ?

The truth is i had 2 heart attacks.

When i play A17 i have really chest tightness.

Maybe its really time to leave the 7D2D train.

What you name "Difficulty" i name painfull cumbersome.

That has nothing to do with easy or a challenge.

Maybe the fun pimps should rename to "The anti fun pimps" if its not possible to make a game challenging without "out of stamina"

Drama queen ?

Maybe the fun pimps should rename to "The anti fun pimps" if its not possible to make a game challenging without "out of stamina"

I would think modding stamina costs and the like would be a better option than just dropping the game entirely.

Once you have a few appropriate perks stamina becomes much less of an issue.

Drama queen ?

I'm sorry to hear about the heart attacks, but I don't see what that has to do with the increase in difficulty of the game?

Royal, I think you are going to have to adjust your playstyle in A17. IIRC, you liked to go to the desert and dig to bedrock to build a base. That’s not going to work so well early game any more. If i were to start my game over, I would focus entirely on killing zombies and scavenging for food. Everything else seems like a waste of time. Until you have skill points to perk up your stamina and damage resource gathering is just too slow and the returns are underwhelming. In my mind, the paradigm for XP looks more like A15 where you would kill as many zombies as possible to get skill points. In A16 you could ignore zombies as there was plenty of ways to get XP.

my new meta is

Start game new until you spawn in desert

Make Shovel

Dig down next to trader (in the nights)

Rest of day, play arcade Zombie slaughter and try to find food on your way. Sadly day 5 and i not even have a pot.

But understand me right, i still have no meaning about the difficulty. i played arround 10 Hours now and thats too less for a decent meaning. Only thing that annoys me like hell and made me quit the game until now 5 times is the damn "out of stamina".

No fun to stand in the front of a zombie and wait for a bar to fill up.

The higher difficulty (specially more roaming zombies) is i guess nice btw. but as i said, too early for a reasoned meaning

What I said to you on last page:

"You can optimize all day long, but that doesn't mean it will stay that way. Rewritten systems have to be optimized again. New systems have to be optimized in the first place. If you were to play all the development versions of some big AAA game, you would see the same problems, but you don't because all you experience is the final optimized product.

I've watched a lot of streamers play the game since Friday and it seems to working for them. What are your PC specs?"

I have a GTX 1060, Ryzen processor and 16GB of RAM. I generally get around 30 FPS. Down around 20 worse case, which is playable for me.

What are your average and low FPS values?

What video settings are you using?

Thanks for your answer and for pasting your post I've missed about PC spec etc.

I'm sorry for my anger last day. I love the game and I will play it, but it hurts me that I can't play this game even on a good PC.

I mean I can... Sometimes I play 20 mins without any freezes, sometimes I get 4-5 freezes in 3 minutes time. I have less than 60 FPS all the time dropping to 15-20 FPS. Video setting doesn't matter. When I play on high I sometimes get less FPS than if I would play on lowest settings possible. It's just random.

I've realized that I won't achieve anything by demanding I will just try to talk about bugs etc. to make the game better. Ehhh. :(

1. When you and your teammate hits something at the exact same time (which happens to me very often) the block does take damage only from one person. I've noticed this bug in 16.4. So let's say you hit a rock together at the same time. Game will react like only 1 person hit the rock.

2. When you hit a bedlamp at night it lights up for 0.2-0.3 sec. It lights up every time you hit it.

3. In randomly generated world sometimes buildings are flying in the air. I had an issue with it. I've entered a small city. 2 buildings were flying. I was looking at perks, drinking tea, when I closed perks tab, one of the buildings colapsed.

4. When you fight and click too many times to attack, character will make 2 swings instead of one.

EDIT: Rolland. I'am glad you explained what you meant by emojis. Thank you for your time. I still disagree with it and I think it wasn't appropriate at the time but I think you are not a bad person. Maybe you really didn't mean to troll some part of the community. Let's leave it behind.

I'm sorry to hear about the heart attacks, but I don't see what that has to do with the increase in difficulty of the game?

Thats the point, i cant see a sensefull difficulty by this "out of stamina"

Difficulty, or better said the positive form of difficulty what is named a challenge has allways something you can do about it.

after 10 Hours i still see no way to counter the Stamina issue

For me the "out of stamona is only / feels only like"

You know the situation

when you are in hurry and want to buy something in a shop.

And in front of you is a 90 year old women that move so slow slower would be impossible

And then she pays her 21,98 Bill in 1 Cent coins ?

And thats the (unneeded) kind of stress i cant stand

my new meta is

Start game new until you spawn in desert

Make Shovel

Dig down next to trader (in the nights)

Rest of day, play arcade Zombie slaughter and try to find food on your way. Sadly day 5 and i not even have a pot.

But understand me right, i still have no meaning about the difficulty. i played arround 10 Hours now and thats too less for a decent meaning. Only thing that annoys me like hell and made me quit the game until now 5 times is the damn "out of stamina".

No fun to stand in the front of a zombie and wait for a bar to fill up.

The higher difficulty (specially more roaming zombies) is i guess nice btw. but as i said, too early for a reasoned meaning

Honestly the desert and all that digging may not be your best bet early game.

Digging has the highest stamina cost, so your food is also being used up quickly.

Even if you manage to dig a decent hole it won't be suitable for the horde without significant other defences due to zombie digging and reduced fall damage.

If you have poi's handy in the desert, pick the sturdiest one and fight the horde from that, next horde night find another, the first will likely be severely damaged.

I have seen a few of your previous builds, those are going to take a long time in A17 to make and be less effective than they previously have been.

Later game, sure, you will have the perks and tools to make those fall bases easier and enough traps etc to make them practical.

Just my opinion.

is it possible to add the level or skill needed to each of the perks? for example when I hover over Pack Mule 2, I can't buy it at level 7 but there is nothing that I can see telling me what the pre-reqs are to purchase it.

update - ok I see if I hover over the LOCK I can get the requirements, maybe make the whole string and not just the lock hover sensitive? also check the Hammer and Forge - hover over the lock shows "REQINTELECTLEVEL4" looks like a constant not a string like the rest of them.

I think the devs are more on true survival simulation than causal play and A17e shows it.

Maybe you go play WoW if you want casual or wait for a mod (though most modders make the game harder).

Or play at a lower difficulty level.

Never have liked WoW ... popular WoTW an Valmod mod actually made game easyer ... and Ravenhearst made it harder (more about grinding) And thats not a secret witch mode was most popular among the servers .. :)

The beautifull thing about this game is that it gives a nice freedom to choose they way u want to play it :)

Tho now it looks that it simply punish you a bit more for not playing the intended way ..

A17 still looks good, and of corse each alpha shapes the game in a bit different direction, its only experimental now, so time will tell how this turns out in future :)

How does the system of zombies reacting to light/sound work?

Do they still react to sounds/light even when you're several blocks underground?

I understand that the developers don't want everyone to just dig down to bedrock and place a base there anymore, but it seems a bit immersion breaking to have zombies be able to hear you that far down... or to have zombies be able to see/hear you while high up in a tall building with many walls/floors between you and the outside.

Some clarification on this functionality would be nice :)

damn! this alpha could be the end of the road for me! It's unplayable... 15 - 25 fps.. Had stable 60 (locked) on a16. My RX570 can't handle it any more.. and I thought performance is about the same as a16.

Welcome to the club. But I think 15-25 is still doable.

Try 12-15 ^^

Snow and green biome i never survived long enough. Theres simply nothing to heal you.

Granted the aloe in the desert is handy.

If there are enough poi's in the desert you are in by all means try it if it works for you.

Looting the non dungeon poi's tho is fairly critical for early supplies, tools and weapons.

You could also grab the healing factor perk for some minor hp regen benefits etc.

Early game being elevated and out of immediate reach is a safe strategy, just watch out for vultures if you are living on a roof :)

Good luck and if you want a hand, yell, I am happy to help out.

Or jump on Guppy's server if you would like to join us for some fun :)

On the topic of death penalty.

I have seen a lot of answers to players that feel that it's too harsh should lower their game difficulty.

Well correct me if I'm wrong. But GD doesn't affect buffs and spawn rate. And from what have seen on streams most deaths are connected to the bleedout buff and not pure damage made by zombie or vultures (I haven't died my self so I wouldn't know)

And GD dosent effect the penalty dose it?

What we need is a overhaul on difficulty.

Difficulties could also affect:

Buffs

Xp gain

Stamina

Health

Perk requirements

Death penalty

Its us who think the normal game is too easy who should crank up difficulty and look for mods. Telling casual and new players to mod it, find a mod or play another game is plain ignorant.

That will give the game bad reviews which will inflict on sale...meaning less money for TFP to develop our beloved game.

Insane could have death penalty for a whole week and stack. he'll why not perma death.

What I would like to hear is that insane mode is to hard. Not normal mode :D

Snow and green biome i never survived long enough. Theres simply nothing to heal you.

Well digging deep enought still works at least, 40+ meters deep and they can't hear you. (thats still positive)

But yeah for the horde night its better to choose some random poi rooftop now .. ( we probaply be having alot of destroyed pois on MP servers.. )

this is my first post in 2 years. I have 2 questions:

LOVE A17 so far!

- In de nighttime i get a smoke in the game where i almost see nothing. Is this a bug or my settings?

I have changes alot of settings but nothing changes it.

- When i make a dedicated server for me and my friends, they get a message 'connection timed out'

Or is the dedicated server nog working yet? I did al the same like in A16 for the server.

Thanks for the response!

Keep up the good work.

On the topic of death penalty.

I have seen a lot of answers to players that feel that it's too harsh should lower their game difficulty.

Well correct me if I'm wrong. But GD doesn't affect buffs and spawn rate. And from what have seen on streams most deaths are connected to the bleedout buff and not pure damage made by zombie or vultures (I haven't died my self so I wouldn't know)

And GD dosent effect the penalty dose it?

What we need is a overhaul on difficulty.

Difficulties could also affect:

Buffs

Xp gain

Stamina

Health

Perk requirements

Death penalty

Its us who think the normal game is too easy who should crank up difficulty and look for mods. Telling casual and new players to mod it, find a mod or play another game is plain ignorant.

That will give the game bad reviews which will inflict on sale...meaning less money for TFP to develop our beloved game.

Insane could have death penalty for a whole week and stack. he'll why not perma death.

What I would like to hear is that insane mode is to hard. Not normal mode :D

Bingo! :)

Thats the point, i cant see a sensefull difficulty by this "out of stamina"

Difficulty, or better said the positive form of difficulty what is named a challenge has allways something you can do about it.

after 10 Hours i still see no way to counter the Stamina issue

For me the "out of stamona is only / feels only like"

And thats the (unneeded) kind of stress i cant stand

invest few points in cardio perk, it helps a lot. in day 2 i can swing my stoneaxe and chop down fully grown tree without resting. pots are relatively easy to find, if you loot house with kitchen. so you need to find one, not stay alone in desert :p

LMFAO!!!!!!!!

omg you people just stop already. you complain and whine to have teh game released, now its here and it is too different for you.

all i see if complaint after complaint bout how hard it is. MadMole you spoiled everyone lmao.

the game play is fine adept i did dam i am playing on hard mode and i want more. i have never been this entertained in a longtime. 7 days to die is becoming its own game and it is awesome i hope it gets better. also this is experimenatal so expect a few issues.

stop being lazy and go grind out your levels and hold right mouse run and pause .....Boom run away like a train lol.

This is teh best patch ever teh rest of you just chill.

That's my nickle

Thanks for your answer and for pasting your post I've missed about PC spec etc.

I'm sorry for my anger last day. I love the game and I will play it, but it hurts me that I can't play this game even on a good PC.

I mean I can... Sometimes I play 20 mins without any freezes, sometimes I get 4-5 freezes in 3 minutes time. I have less than 60 FPS all the time dropping to 15-20 FPS. Video setting doesn't matter. When I play on high I sometimes get less FPS than if I would play on lowest settings possible. It's just random.

I've realized that I won't achieve anything by demanding I will just try to talk about bugs etc. to make the game better. Ehhh. :(

1. When you and your teammate hits something at the exact same time (which happens to me very often) the block does take damage only from one person. I've noticed this bug in 16.4. So let's say you hit a rock together at the same time. Game will react like only 1 person hit the rock.

2. When you hit a bedlamp at night it lights up for 0.2-0.3 sec. It lights up every time you hit it.

3. In randomly generated world sometimes buildings are flying in the air. I had an issue with it. I've entered a small city. 2 buildings were flying. I was looking at perks, drinking tea, when I closed perks tab, one of the buildings colapsed.

4. When you fight and click too many times to attack, character will make 2 swings instead of one.

EDIT: Rolland. I'am glad you explained what you meant by emojis. Thank you for your time. I still disagree with it and I think it wasn't appropriate at the time but I think you are not a bad person. Maybe you really didn't mean to troll some part of the community. Let's leave it behind.

Just turn down Shadows to None and Tree Details to lowest.

invest few points in cardio perk, it helps a lot. in day 2 i can swing my stoneaxe and chop down fully grown tree without resting. pots are relatively easy to find, if you loot house with kitchen. so you need to find one, not stay alone in desert :p

allready done

----------------------------------------

Btw died by a collapsing tunnel (again such a thing you cant really do anything against)

So again from scratch

Hopefully i find this time a pot

Archived