Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I would like to take a second and thank TFP and MadMole for what happened recently.

They read the posts from the community, took in the information and removed the XP gain from the INT tree.

TFP had gotten a lot of flak from all sides about not listening or caring about their community. This proves that wrong.

Also it should be pointed out that that is no small thing.

They do listen and they do care. Thank you again TFP for all the hard work and making this the best alpha yet!

That gets proven over and over and over again. Won't stop people from complaining tomorrow about how they never listen and never even talk to or give updates to the "community."

Still, it is always appreciated by those of us who pay attention.

That announcement that the gyrocopter is actually making it to a17 made my day. So excited for that. I'm curious if any more work has been done on the multi person aspect of the 4x4 which was originally stated as with the gyrocopter that it wouldnt make it for a17 due to X factors

I'm pretty sure passengers are pushed back to a18.

That is true and that is why I put in that second blurb in my post.

I still do not think there is reason to believe that is the case though. If there is evidence then i would be happy to hear it.

Reason to believe headshots don't do extra damage to begin with? I believe he stated that in the video... or did you mean something else?

Reason to believe headshots don't do extra damage to begin with? I believe he stated that in the video... or did you mean something else?

Yes I did mean that. I will watch it again tonight and listen for it. Not the first time I have been wrong :)

I suggest that the crossbow not be as closely intertwined with the current archery perk. Yes, there are similarities in the skill it takes to use a crossbow and a bow, such as the draw and accounting for wind resistance, but I think the trigger mechanism and short-barrel reticle system make them just as mush like pistols, and the weight and single shot nature make them a "deadeye" weapon. I think the crossbow should get a few perks from each of the categories. I see the ideal place for the crossbow as the generally better the alternative to the longbow for those who aren't trying to become Legolas, and have the resources to use something a little easier.

On another note, will there be any mods that optimize weapons(or anything other stuff) for different player stats/perk levels? For example, extra weight on a sledgehammer, extra-wide-bore blunderbuss, extra heavy bow.

Yes I did mean that. I will watch it again tonight and listen for it. Not the first time I have been wrong :)

Just re-watched it. He does specifically say there is no bonus headshot damage unless you perk into it. :( Hope he misspoke because there should be some advantage to not just aim center of mass.

My apologies to those who said so. (@Siveria, @Drithyl & @Snowdog42)

I was absolutely wrong.

At 12:16 in the perception video he says exactly that.

And on that note I agree. There should be SOME bonus to hitting in the head. I would say 2x at least.

I think that thought needs more design meetings. Yes to be able to buy all present and future and dlc perks. But no on "no level cap".

Instead, it could be possible to make the player EARN those skill points. Doing challenge quests was a bland way of doing skill rewards, but as always, a step in the right direction.

How about doing a 5 hour quest and then only then you maybe get 1 skill point as a quest reward choice? That way there will be no doubt that players who get there are the real deal. Just hoping for a lot more quest variation, interactions and original plots.

Err, a big fat no! Not everyone has that sort of time to play. 5 hours for 1 skill point? Are you high?

I'm all for earning my skill points by grafting, even a bit of grinding, but that's just stupid.

Err, a big fat no! Not everyone has that sort of time to play. 5 hours for 1 skill point? Are you high?

I'm all for earning my skill points by grafting, even a bit of grinding, but that's just stupid.

That time was an example, it also was a metaphor for : "pretty cool and interesting quest" So we can play a fallout dlc that takes 10 hours and it's esencially one quest but do not have the time for playing a 3-5 hour one uh? So we will have problems cleaning buildings like the Hospital, mate, which takes a good 3-5 hours going slow.

I think that answer you just made applies to many things in life if you replace some wording here and there,

For example: Meeting a beautiful woman , eating bacon, doing the laundry, dancing... :cocksure:

cheers

My apologies to those who said so. (@Siveria, @Drithyl & @Snowdog42)

I was absolutely wrong.

At 12:16 in the perception video he says exactly that.

And on that note I agree. There should be SOME bonus to hitting in the head. I would say 2x at least.

No need to apologize man.. u just didn't notice it first time around, it happens, lol

That time was an example, it also was a metaphor for : "pretty cool and interesting quest" So we can play a fallout dlc that takes 10 hours and it's esencially one quest but do not have the time for playing a 3-5 hour one uh? So we will have problems cleaning buildings like the Hospital, mate, which takes a good 3-5 hours going slow.

I think that answer you just made applies to many things in life if you replace some wording here and there,

For example: Meeting a beautiful woman , eating bacon, doing the laundry, dancing... :cocksure:

cheers

Linear skill progression is a bad mechanic, it's better to use a system of diminishing returns.

I shouldn't have to play for five hours to get my first skill point, it's just far too slow. I should be able to get my first skill point within 30-60 minutes. The problem is at that rate it isn't long before you've maxed out a character.

If you require more xp to level up as the player gains levels it also helps to balance out the increased xp due to skill bonuses.

If MadMole plans to have it take six months to max out a character it's the only way the math-hammer works for lower levels, otherwise you're spending days seducing zombies for a single skill point as a first level bard.

Linear skill progression is a bad mechanic, it's better to use a system of diminishing returns.

I shouldn't have to play for five hours to get my first skill point, it's just far too slow. I should be able to get my first skill point within 30-60 minutes. The problem is at that rate it isn't long before you've maxed out a character.

If you require more xp to level up as the player gains levels it also helps to balance out the increased xp due to skill bonuses.

If MadMole plans to have it take six months to max out a character it's the only way the math-hammer works for lower levels, otherwise you're spending days seducing zombies for a single skill point as a first level bard.

Increasing xp need is a grindy choice and sounds cheap. Just like bethesda's "let's unlock infinite levels BUT you need to sleep with Todd 10938749 times to get them".

"Spending days seducing zombies for a single skill point as a first level bard" Is actually the very opposite of what I'm proposing though it might seem like exactly that at first read.

I'm proposing a cool experience, a cool quest, a nice story , a fun time. No grind because there's no need for that skill point if you are in need of ,say, a purple rocket launcher schematic instead.

The time of said quest doesn't matter if you are having fun, ya know?

It might very well be 30 to 60 minutes as you say. I'm talking content. Content to overcome any kind of post-level cap grind: xp or skill points be dammed if there's no content to support it. Do not fixate on a random time I said to make my point. I'm talking fun, content, depth. And fish tacos. I enjoy talking about fish tacos.

Cheers

Its more like you can get to reasonable level in a week 3 hours a day, like level 50, maybe a month to hit level 200, but it takes more and more xp. I mean it took me a week to hit level 70 in ark, but months to finally reach level 100. So something like that, but we'll see it needs SO much testing to balance its not something written in stone any time soon and will need you guys help for sure.

Archived